Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
detbuch

Milo Yiannopoulos

I was not very interested in learning much about this guy because "reports" made him sound like a pseudo right wing kook. But my wife had me watch this interview with him, and I was impressed. The video is about an hour and a half, a bit long, but interesting and entertaining. He is anything but a kook. He's extremely articulate, very perceptive, and . . . different. He has some insights, especially on the Trump phenomenon, that explain it rather uniquely. It's a fun and informative watch:

Old 09-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
scottw

brilliant....I'd be fascinated, curious etc...to watch/hear the reactions of some to this.....
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
wdmso

Stopped watching after their confused interpretation of Free speech

in relationship to FB , twitter , and social media it seems they failed to understand you can still say what you want to say in America .. but you may be limited on what you can say on site's which are privately owned

Just like this site John can control what gets posted and what is unacceptable.. that doesn't suggest he is against free speech or is into censorship

He just a internet troll trying to hide behind free speech and all for self promotion .. just the qualitys and character you guys tend to Admire

"Trolling is very important," Yiannopoulos said to Moran. "I like to think of myself as a virtuous troll, you know? I'm doing God's work."

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
wdmso

Yiannopoulos has been called a spokesperson for the alt-right shocking

The alt-right is a segment of right-wing ideologies presented as an alternative to mainstream conservatism in the United States.[1][2] It has been described as a movement unified by support for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump,[3][4] as well as by opposition to multiculturalism and immigration.[2][5]

The alt-right has no official ideology, although various sources have said that it is associated with white nationalism,[1][2][6] white supremacism,[3][7][8] antisemitism,[1][2][9] right-wing populism,[6] nativism,[10] and the neoreactionary movement.[7][11]

The alt-right has been said to be a largely online movement with Internet memes widely used to advance or express its beliefs, often on websites such as 4chan.[7][9][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right
Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

in relationship to FB , twitter , and social media it seems they failed to understand you can still say what you want to say in America .. but you may be limited on what you can say on site's which are privately owned

Just like this site John can control what gets posted and what is unacceptable.. that doesn't suggest he is against free speech or is into censorship

If you would have kept watching, you would have seen that he absolutely agrees and says that privately owned sites can limit what you say. But he thinks that they should be honest about their bias rather than pretending they are vehicles of free speech.

On this site, John is far more open to allowing differing opinions. His main trigger for censoring is lack of civility, not difference of opinion.

In a way, you curtailed free speech by not listening to the whole of what he has to say. Instead, you judge him to be confused before he is allowed to state his full opinion. This was a time constricted interview, conducted by someone from the left who is far more open minded than you and who allowed Milo the time and opportunity to fully say what he has to say. By not allowing Milo the same opportunity, you cut off his speech, not only disallowing him the opportunity to give you his opinion, his belief, but you missed out on the opportunity to possibly learn something.

Before the interview began, the host, a Democrat with Libertarian leanings, stated that we can only come to beneficial agreement if we listen to those we disagree with.

If we close our minds to even listening, we can never agree.

He just a internet troll trying to hide behind free speech and all for self promotion .. just the qualitys and character you guys tend to Admire

That's an interesting comment. I would like to hear you explain that more fully. I might learn something about myself that you seem to know more about than I do. That is, if you care to actually have an important discussion rather than throwing bombs then scurrying away.

"Trolling is very important," Yiannopoulos said to Moran. "I like to think of myself as a virtuous troll, you know? I'm doing God's work."

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.
Again, watch and listen to the whole video. There is a reason, beyond having fun riling up folks, especially those on the left, for what he called trolling.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Yiannopoulos has been called a spokesperson for the alt-right shocking

The alt-right is a segment of right-wing ideologies presented as an alternative to mainstream conservatism in the United States.[1][2] It has been described as a movement unified by support for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump,[3][4] as well as by opposition to multiculturalism and immigration.[2][5]

The alt-right has no official ideology, although various sources have said that it is associated with white nationalism,[1][2][6] white supremacism,[3][7][8] antisemitism,[1][2][9] right-wing populism,[6] nativism,[10] and the neoreactionary movement.[7][11]

The alt-right has been said to be a largely online movement with Internet memes widely used to advance or express its beliefs, often on websites such as 4chan.[7][9][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right
How about listening to what he has to say rather than what others have called him or what Wikipedia and others have said.

Form you own opinion, in your own mind, not what some sites or blogs or "opinion" pieces have said. Or, if you must depend on what others say, then search for opinions that are positive about him.

I may be wrong, but from how you have presented yourself on this forum, your mind would not change if you watched the whole video, but it would be instructive if you specifically pointed out what you, personally, find disagreeable about him and his point of view, and then had an actual back and forth discussion about it. Isn't that the value of free speech?

Last edited by detbuch; 09-05-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Couple things - First yes I do prefer an environment where different views can be exchanged and rarely pull out the monitoring stick rather than the censorship stick.

Two - Milo is repeatedly censored, twitter blocked, and run out of college campuses as a racist and hate monger that invades SJW's safe spaces.

THree - will continue later -

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
How about listening to what he has to say rather than what others have called him or what Wikipedia and others have said.

Form you own opinion, in your own mind, not what some sites or blogs or "opinion" pieces have said. Or, if you must depend on what others say, then search for opinions that are positive about him.

I may be wrong, but from how you have presented yourself on this forum, your mind would not change if you watched the whole video, but it would be instructive if you specifically pointed out what you, personally, find disagreeable about him and his point of view, and then had an actual back and forth discussion about it. Isn't that the value of free speech?
I have listen.. he is right and every one else is wrong .. he isn't there for dialogue.. he considers himself an engine of chaos ...

Again if you support this conduct as Free speech we'll just have to agree to disagree
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hateful-lesie-tweets3.png
Views:	500
Size:	544.4 KB
ID:	63343   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_oam19073ez1ubepnko7_1280.png
Views:	508
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	63344  
Old 09-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I like the fact he makes SJW's heads explode
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
JohnR

Quote:
I have listen.. he is right and every one else is wrong .. he isn't there for dialogue.. he considers himself an engine of chaos ...

Again if you support this conduct as Free speech we'll just have to agree to disagree
i spent 10 minutes looking and I did not see that Milo sent the image you are referring too. WHERE is that shown?

He did have a fairly scathing review of the GB movie - and he was not alone. And there was a twitter fight (ooohhhh if there was twitter in the early 1800s how bad would kit have been ) where Milo got suspended - again.

I am a big LJ fan on SNL - she is one of the better comedians on that show. But the GB remake supposedly really sucks - waiting for it to be on HBO before my own review.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:

you made his points in several ways with that reaction ....nice job
Old 09-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:

Sheeple don't do that.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
i spent 10 minutes looking and I did not see that Milo sent the image you are referring too. WHERE is that shown?

He did have a fairly scathing review of the GB movie - and he was not alone. And there was a twitter fight (ooohhhh if there was twitter in the early 1800s how bad would kit have been ) where Milo got suspended - again.

I am a big LJ fan on SNL - she is one of the better comedians on that show. But the GB remake supposedly really sucks - waiting for it to be on HBO before my own review.
the photo was not from him it it was posted by his followers who carry his water he didn't review the film he attacked the person

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-from-twitter/

I am not on twitter.. I just find those on the right who hold theses people up as champions against political correctness and the system .. enjoy calling their insults.. Free speech free of political correctness some much for civility

Last edited by wdmso; 09-05-2016 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: corrcetion
Old 09-05-2016, 10:52 PM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
the photo was not from him it it was posted by his followers who carry his water he didn't review the film he attacked the person

So you tried to post the photo as if Milo posted it, got corrected by john and then switched to . . . well, Milo was still responsible for the photo because it was by others "who carry his water". I suppose that accusation would apply to all the other outrageous posts by those who carry his water, even though Milo did not actually post them. Somehow, his review of the film "sparked", as one Milo critic said, the flow of outrageous comments against Leslie Jones. Right. Like how Trump sparks violence when he says things.

Would that be similar to how Obama sparks violence by Black Lives Matter folks when he talks about race and the police. Well . . . of course not . . . because . . . well . . . because. Oh, wait, that's right--because racist, bigoted, white "Conservatives" said so--that's why it's not the same. It's only when racist whites say outrageous things that sparks fly. And anyway, don't you know, what Obama says is true. How can a review of a film be true. It's just an outrageous opinion. That's why it can't be considered free speech. Like shouting fire in a crowded theater. Even if there is a fire. Oh . . . don't take that as saying that even if what Obama said is true, he shouldn't say it because it might spark violence. Naw, naw . . . we can't be worried about violence when speaking of really true things like the terrible problem we have with white cops killing blacks.

See, this is the reason that Milo says the things in the way he says them. At least, he says that's why. And I think he knows why more than anyone else would know why. There is this visible unfairness, inequality, of how we are told we must understand things like race, or sex, or gender, or religion, or a multitude of other really important things such as who goes to which bathroom. There is this unreasonable outrage against white, male, Conservative opinion and culture. Milo professes to fight against that and other socio-political unreasonable outrage. And he has said that the way to combat outrage culture is to be outrageous. He said somewhere, can't remember where, that, to paraphrase, if his outrageousness attracts enough attention, and enough people are exposed to what he is really saying beyond his provocative speech, then--mission accomplished.

I am not on twitter.. I just find those on the right who hold theses people up as champions against political correctness and the system .. enjoy calling their insults.. Free speech free of political correctness some much for civility
Again, you fail to see through the cover of his method and miss what he is saying beneath it. There is a method to his madness. The video that I posted in the start of this thread, if you actually listen to what he has to say, is more relevant than his provocative manner. Here is another article by him and one of his colleagues at Breitbart which is his explanation of alt-conservatism.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/0...the-alt-right/

There is much more here than how he is portrayed by others. If you don't want to believe him, but rather want to believe what others say about him, you might at least discuss what he says. As for me, what he has to say is an important message, regardless of how you feel about his sincerity. And it certainly gives more insight into the Trump phenomenon as well as the problem that the GOP is going to have if it just dismisses it all.

As for poor Leslie Jones, who was "forced" off of Twitter by the onslaught of negative comments--as The Donald would say--give me a break. No one forced her. Poor baby couldn't take it. Strange how Milo takes the continuous and far more damaging onslaughts against him. He doesn't quit. He doesn't go away. It's just more fuel to his fire. And the idea that his review "sparked" the onslaught (if that's what it really was)--Conservative commentators have had, not just incitements sparked by reviews, but actual calls to attack not only their cause, but them personally. There have been calls that they should be fired, barred from the public forum, and that their sponsors be boycotted until they stopped advertising various conservative programs, especially in talk radio. Rush Limbaugh was attacked several times in these ways. But the Conservative commentators don't give up or run away.

And Leslie Jones is back on Twitter now. Happy as a Lark. Free to say whatever she wants about Milo.

Last edited by detbuch; 09-05-2016 at 11:01 PM..
Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #15
spence

So the idea is to use provocative dis-informative meme's which may have a side effect of attracting racists who lack intelligence but that's ok because the world isn't perfect.

What a glorious movement.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So the idea is to use provocative dis-informative meme's which may have a side effect of attracting racists who lack intelligence but that's ok because the world isn't perfect.

It's been a proven strategy for #BlackLivesMatters

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #17
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
It's been a proven strategy for #BlackLivesMatters
But, we are to understand as folks like Spence would have us believe, that BlackLivesMatters doesn't use dis-informative memes which attract racists who lack intelligence, and that it is, indeed, a glorious movement.

Actually, as you point out, it does use dis-informative memes which not only attract "racists" (whatever that is . . . oh right . . . blacks cannot be whatever "racists" is supposed to mean . . . only white "Conservatives" can be racists)--not only attract "racists," a rather disinformative meme, but nice folks who don't have the intelligence to see through the meme.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #18
JohnR

Quote:

So - you posted a statement on how Milo was in a twitter war with Leslie Jones and next to that you posted a photo that in this context could be construed as racist (and in other contexts not btw), in such a ways as to lead people thinking - myself included - that Milo posted the image with the ape. Did you knowingly do this or was that an accident? I spent 20+ minutes looking (I looked some more) for that image and could not find one instance where Milo used it (I don't follow Milo on twitter so I never would have seen it in realtime).

What I see is him being harsh on Leslie for the GB remake and I see her responding against Milo as whitey (drops my opinion of her a little) and him getting tossed.

So in short, if I did not spend 20+ minutes figuring this out I might have made the assumption that Milo posted that photo of the Ape - but that is not the case?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #19
detbuch

Quote:

No, Spence, your "interpretation," as are Progressive Supreme Court Justice's, is totally off the mark. Read my text. Listen to and read what Milo says about his "memes." They are not dis-informative. They are simply the age-old fighting fire with fire. The method of demonstrating absurdity with absurdity. Milo is attacking the disinformative memes of the left by throwing the same kind of stuff from the other side back at them. That tends to, as TDF said, make their heads explode. And causes them to attack him, thus calling attention to his supposed absurdities. But, not all human beings being mindlessly in some tank, some are provoked into seeing the parallel absurdities, and then question the validity of both. And some attracted from that stage of thinking into reading or listening to what he is actually saying beyond the initial provocation. And, if they're honest, it can be persuasive.

And, beyond your mindless sarcasm, the persuasion can be a glorious moment.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Listen to and read what Milo says about his "memes." They are not dis-informative. They are simply the age-old fighting fire with fire. The method of demonstrating absurdity with absurdity. Milo is attacking the disinformative memes of the left by throwing the same kind of stuff from the other side back at them.
You can probably thank Rush Limbaugh for helping to establish this as the new Republican norm. To justify a dishonest, manipulative and conspiracy theory led process as sound governance should terrify everyone. Sounds more like Putin/RT.com every day.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Its the new Political Norm.....the Republicans don't own the rights exclusively...

Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #22
scottw

Quote:
Its the new Political Norm.....the Republicans don't own the rights exclusively...
no kidding...did an ardent Clinton defender just accuse someone else of dishonesty and manipulation?......too bleeping funny!!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #23
ecduzitgood
time to go

Don't forget using the IRS to stonewall conservatives before the 2012 election to help Obama and the Democrats.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #24
spence

Quote:
But the Right, excuse me the Ctrl-Alt-Right has written the playbook and practiced relentlessly. Not that the Left is immune from it but they look like rookies side by side.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #25
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
But the Right, excuse me the Ctrl-Alt-Right has written the playbook and practiced relentlessly. Not that the Left is immune from it but they look like rookies side by side.
I don't know about that, Al Gore invented the Internet, Obama financed his campaign by harnessing the power of said Internet, and Hilary works email like nobody's business...

And you think they are rookies when it comes to absurd memes....cmon now

Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #26
spence

Quote:
I don't know about that, Al Gore invented the Internet, Obama financed his campaign by harnessing the power of said Internet, and Hilary works email like nobody's business...

And you think they are rookies when it comes to absurd memes....cmon now
You just made my point, Al Gore never said he invented the Internet, Obama didn't fund raise through memes and Hillary's use of email -- while we all agree wasn't a good idea -- has been a manipulated story from day one, most importantly how the conspiratorial alt-right has influenced the mainstream media.

You're a product.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

It was sarcasm dude, learn to recognize it.....
Old 09-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #28
JohnR

Quote:

Haha - the right is so far behind the left in social / meme stirring. They invented it. Fact is both sides do it but one side is particularly adept at having the media perpetuate it

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #29
scottw

Quote:
Hillary's use of email -- while we all agree wasn't a good idea -- has been a manipulated story from day one

You're a product.
you're a tool
Old 09-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #30
buckman

Quote:
Hillary's use of email -- while we all agree wasn't a good idea -- has been a manipulated story from day one, most importantly how the conspiratorial alt-right has influenced the mainstream media.
Why wasn't it a good idea ?