Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #61
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

We get it Media Bias....we know...you've been banging that drum so loud for so long people don't hear it anymore.

One reason for "Lockdown" is because this was the 1st Inauguration since 911 and it had a different security model than anything like it before. Media thrives on hype...From "Storm of the Century" to "Just Believe" everything is a buzz word of sensationalism....gotta learn to ignore it. Your Blood pressure will thank you.

And considering that the Bush administration's main push for his second term was Keeping America Safe, i'm betting he LOVED this article using the term Lockdown....

and there are articles about the security concerns out there.....

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...rss-nation-cnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I guess Im a cynical bastard and there is no hope for me. How come when there is high security for Bush's innaugurauion, its a " lock down on Washington" and for Obama there is no mention other than the price tag?

http://www.democracynow.org/2005/1/2...d_security_for

If you havent figured it out by now, this is my main gripe in the political fourms, this double standard for liberals. Why I am so negative to Obama is becasue the truth will be shadowed by the press.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #62
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

its not the security concerns DF, its the spin that the "lockdown" was there to control the people.
Look at the press around the Republican National Convention, same thing.
Its all perception and the media feeds the notion of the evil Bush empire squashing free thought. I feel this stuff is so obvious and can't understand how you dont or choose not to see it.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #63
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I already agreed with you about all of that...i just choose to ignore it. I Don't Care about it. I take the facts out of an article and leave the spin where it belongs.....in the crapper

I've told you why I hate Bush...and it has nothing to do with Media Bias....it has to do with him being the most powerful man, in charge of the greatest nation, in the world....and acting like an idiot in public. His Stupid made up words, his moronic dancing clown impersonations....all that crap drove me nuts. Made the U.S. look like buffoons and it disgusted me.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #64
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

your no fun anymore

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #65
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

I think the best comment on the transition was the comment that it felt like the liberation of Paris...

Gotta agree with that, I'm afraid. Bush hovering over the Capitol and then being flown away with a blue sky behind him as he left was a pretty strong image.

And Cheney in a wheelchair looked for all the world like the evil Mr. Potter in It's A Wonderful Life

I thought Obama's address was pretty moving - in terms of our moral standing in the global community, our responsibilities to our companions on this planet and our goals to create a more humane society. The callous disregard the previous administration showed for the victims of Katrina was monstrous, for lack of a better description. Had Katrina hit Fairfield County, CT, I sincerely doubt you would have seen stranded WASPs desperately waving from their roofs to hovering Coast Guard choppers and waiting days on end for help.

To have a seemingly normal family in the White House is going to be nice - with 2 cute kids under Grandma's watchful eye. The only downside is Barack has his mother-in-law living with him...

It also seems like Obama may already be having an effect on young minorities. Maybe it will become cool to be smart and study and work hard - and not emulate celebs and rappers. They now have a role model and I hope Obama will be able live up to their standards.

You know, our culture has really celebrated underachievement and this manic self-absorption involved in personal gain for way too long - and that is exactly what put us where we are today.

If you want to thank Bush for something, thank him for that.

Godspeed Obama - you've got a lot on your plate, young man.

Imagine - a President 13 years my junior...damn.

Last edited by Crafty Angler; 01-21-2009 at 01:23 PM..

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #66
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
Cheney in a wheelchair looked like the evil Mr. Potter in It's A Wonderful Life

Actually Crafty, I think he bore a striking resembence to Mr. Lebowski from 'The Big Lebowski'

Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #67
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler View Post
Godspeed Obama - you've got a lot on your plate, young man.

Imagine - a President 23 years my junior...damn.

well spoken Crafty---as speed is of the essence....

Make haste! onward and upward ........on Dasher and Blitzin !
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #68
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Hey, Rav - come over here...

I said 13 years, porcupine...

Unfortunately, it just looks like 23...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #69
spence

How did a thread ramble on this long without me???

-spence