Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Muskyslayer96

HELP...Again....sealing change up

Here we go again!

i've been using sanding sealer cut with lacquer thinner since I started building and other than the nasty thinner (dangerous stuff) it has worked great......my sanding sealer has been discontinued and mine geled up and has to go. i have read over the posts, i was wondering if I can get a concensous on what others are using especially as it pertains to dry time and e-tex compatibility.
The sanding sealer dried fast and there were no issues using e-tex right over it. So Spar urethane/ mineral spirits? tung oil/ poly/ mineral spirits?

I HATE changing up processes that work well...but no choice here and a good way to get rid of lacquer thinner.

Thanks fellas in advance for the time,
MS

Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Ryan560

I made the switch last year to 60/40 helmsman spar urethane satin/pure turps. I've had this batch for about a year and hasn't turned to jelly yet. I was using spar/mineral spirits before and it turned to jelly in less than 6 months...The pure turps does stink something awful though.
Ryan560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I use spar urethane in QUARTS! And mineral spirits.

I do a 50/50 mix, one quart each in a gallon glass jar with a screw lid, will last at least a year if sealed right.

The qts have a different formula than the gallons of spar urethane

I seal my plugs for 30 minutes flipping the jar every 5 minutes or so.

Im never in a rush so the plugs dry on there own time. Then a light sand then paint then epoxy.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
O.D. Mike

spar urethane 70% mineral spirits 30%

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

The Helsman spar in quarts is not VOC compliant, the gallons are, which they have to be in this state, and thus a different product. They can get around being compliant with the smaller amount. It will cost you more but a better product. I too use it and like it. Got to be the satin though.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
stripermaineiac

Try mixin the jelled stuff with mineral spirits in small ammounts it should go back to the way it was. I use the spar urathane with mineral spirits a lot. Works fine. I've cut a few plugs to see if the new VOC stuff works diff. soaks in fine an does about the same job as the older stuff. I have my soak in a 5 gal bucket with one of those twist on cap systems. Works fine and doesen't skim over. Just need to put some time in effort keeping the threads clean.All the good stuff jells up as it sits just stir it and keep it thinned when needed. Mineral spirits evaporates plus the plugs absorb it with the spar urathane.My current soak I mixed ist last spring. I just add when i need to.Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
angler229

You could always just seal with thinned etex.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I seal with sys 3 clear coat un thinned when I do red cedar or real soft pine heat up wood and smear on but for me the majority of the time I find the spar works fine for my applications and the epoxy takes more time and effort IMO. I can do a big batch in the spar with easy. All boils down to how much time you have to invest in the hobby. Me I am always looking for most done for the lest amount of time involved without reduced quality.
Like Ron said you can just mix the batch a lot and pretty much eliminate the gel. I am using last years mix and there was some gel on bottom but I just poured off the liquid and then added small amounts of mineral spirits to the gel on bottom and it thinned it right down and good to go. So many ways to the end result try a few and find what works for you.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote