Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
wahlie
a goongala goongala

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
The all catching Tube-n-Worm question

Gents,
I started fishing from a kayak last season. I do 95% of my fishing from the surf. I figured it would provide a great opportunity to get to fish that are otherwise out of reach from shore. That being said, I tried out the tube-n-worm rig with minimal results. I would go entire nights and fish nothing but the t-n-w. My question is how do I know if i'm going too fast and if my t-n-w is running at the proper depth? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've done my research but think that I just need a first hand expierience on this.

Thanks,
Chris

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
wfmdfm

Tube& Worm

My experiance is slow and low. I use lead core line with a 10 ft leader. and try to keep it on the bottom. You should hit the bottom a few times to figure out were it is. Then clean your hook every time you hit it. I start with one color of line to 5 feet deep but you will need to figure you speed and current.The fish dont like weeds on the line. Use the fatest longest worms and only hook them once thru the mouth. You also will need to watch the rod if it is in a holder so you can tell if you are hitting or on a fish.
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
firemiked

I think lead core may be a little overkill for most applications. If you can tell what depth you are fishing I.E. (depthfinder or just past experience) if you are in 10' or less of water just a basic cast plus a few extra feet of line should be sufficient to reach the bottom.Slow is definitely the key. I have caught fish with whole worms but that again I think is alot. The fish are keying on the scent of the worm once the action of the tube sucks them in. Partial worms will catch fish and also save you a little money. Deeper water is obviously where you lengthen the line or use the leadcore or a weighted keel to reach bottom. Just remember the slower the better, if you think you are going slow, slow down a little more.Good luck
firemiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
swanny

wahlie, The only way to know if your at the right depth is when fish start hitting it. If your unsure start weightless and then have a setup that is easy to adjust. A simple design starts with a tube attached to a snap swivel to the leader. From this setup you can easily add a trolling sinker/drail of different sizes to get weight correct. Many people also add a rudder to resist line twist. I find it isn't really necessary but you may want to experiment. Try to balance between weight and the amount of line out until you find the right combo to put the tube in the strike zone. There is TONS of info out there on this technique so if you do a google search of tube n' worm / kayak you will probably get a million hits.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Goose

Charlie Soars has a good book on T&B, instead of complaining that its not my style of fishing I should try it being a proven big bass tactic. When the mid summer bite is slow yakers have pulled some big bass using tube and worm along the Elizabeth's islands. At that time of year there more days of ideal the weather conditions favoring kayakers. Being stealthy adds to the low and slow presentation puts the odds in your favor.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
wahlie
a goongala goongala

Send a message via AIM to wahlie
Guys,
Thanks for all the tips. Can't wait to give it a shot.

-Chris

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
ridler72
Lubina Estriada!

I choose not to fish the tube during the night. Some have done well, but I prefer other methods.

I have full confidence with tubes during the day along or on top of structure. I troll tubes between 1.2-1.8 knots on the GPS. If you have a GPS it will help to find a speed that is most productive and consistent. If you don't have a GPS and you are trolling along a shoreline, just think of a "slow, lazy walk speed". Instead of trolling think strolling. It works for me.

Most of my fishing with the tube is under 15'-20' of water. 30lb mono with 40-50lb flouro leader gets the job done. I keep a lead core outfit for deep water with me. To be honest it's stays in the rod holder 90 percent of the time.

Last edited by ridler72; 02-10-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Kayak Fishing Baby! Fish Reel Hard!
ridler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Fishin' Blues

I had good luck with a T&W, mid summer when fishing was slow. Lead core line, 6' 30# mono leader with an SPRO ball bearing swivel to keep it from twisting. It works good when you have little kids that you don't want casting on a crowded boat.

I was catching stripers around the Back River entrance when there was mega boat traffic and nobody was catching a thing. I just wait for it to bump the bottom, then reel it up a few winds to keep it just off the bottom.
Fishin' Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
RossiRat

Riddler... what are the preferred methods at night ?
RossiRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I don't know about a kayak but from a boat T&W is very productive at nite.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
ridler72
Lubina Estriada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossiRat View Post
Riddler... what are the preferred methods at night ?
Missed this post. I'm out in flat calm water at night, hopefully. I prefer Eels, 8" Ronz 3/4oz jig head, Rigged Sluggos, large surface swimmers. I mix up other methods at night but the above gets the most play from me. Note to self in 08: The Needle! lol

Kayak Fishing Baby! Fish Reel Hard!
ridler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
Hobie Wan

Like Ridler, I put the tube away at night. Does it catch fish under dark skies, yes, but in my opinion, you are likely to catch just as many fish with eels, large soft plastic, and swimmers. During the day, there isn't a lure on the market that will catch more bass than the tube....IMHO.

HW
Hobie Wan is offline   Reply With Quote