Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

As I said before
Judge giving liberal verdict - Activist judge

Judge giving conservative verdict - The constitution is a perfect document
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #32
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
As I said before
Judge giving liberal verdict - Activist judge

Judge giving conservative verdict - The constitution is a perfect document
A verdict that comports with the Constitution is neither "liberal" nor "conservative." It is constitutional.

If a verdict is not based on the text of the Constitution, but on personal "liberal" or "conservative" values, mores, politics, or opinion, it is unconstitutional. Such a verdict is quite acceptable to Progressives, and is often used as the basis for their "interpretation." This form of interpretation is called activism. The aim is not so much to uphold the Constitution as the source of their verdict, but usually to achieve some social aim that has not been achieved through the normal constitutional legislative process. In other words, legislating from the bench.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

There’s a reason there is disagreement among judges and just because you claim originalists are correct does not make other interpretations impossible and certainly not illegal.
I’d much rather Congress pass legislation including stripping the Supreme Court of jurisdictional authority and letting voters decide.
But you prefer to be ruled by 9 lords for life as long as they agree with your views on the Constitution
Old 09-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
There’s a reason there is disagreement among judges and just because you claim originalists are correct does not make other interpretations impossible and certainly not illegal.
I’d much rather Congress pass legislation including stripping the Supreme Court of jurisdictional authority and letting voters decide.
But you prefer to be ruled by 9 lords for life as long as they agree with your views on the Constitution
Obviously some judgment is brought to bear much of the time, its not always an exact science. That being said, there are times when judges have acted more like activists than like the neutral arbitrers theyre supposed to be.

Conservatives aren't looking for conservative judges who will ram a conservative agenda down the nations throats. We want judges who are less likely to stray away from what the constitution means. I think you know this.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
There’s a reason there is disagreement among judges

If they could limit that disagreement to the original meanings of the words in the Constitution, there would be less disagreement.

and just because you claim originalists are correct does not make other interpretations impossible and certainly not illegal.

If you don't interpret the actual text of the Constitution, then what are you interpreting? And if you can create your own interpretation of what the words mean, then what is the point of even having a text?

Interpreting outside of the text is possible, but is certainly not constitutional.

As I've said, you seem to basically have Progressive views of what government should be and do. This last statement by you would be a lynchpin of Progressive governance. The greatest obstacle to our becoming an absolutely Progressive State is the Constitution and its separation of powers which includes the Supreme Court which was meant to secure and protect that separation along with the individual rights that are protected by that system.

You prefer a pure democracy, which is basically mob rule, and which has historically devolved into authoritarian despotism. What is there for the voters to decide? The platform and promises of power seekers? And half the nation being deprived of the promises they prefer? Your notion that the voters have total authority is merely a cover for those being elected having absolute power. And there is no protection from the elected rulers taking your stuff to give to someone else. No protection of private property. No functional outlet for diversity of opinion.

There is always a limit to what can be voted for. And as the ruling class is freer to create the issues, and narrowly tailor them to its agenda, what you vote for will become progressively narrower, till you have only the limited options allowed on the ballot.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Conservatives aren't looking for conservative judges who will ram a conservative agenda down the nations throats.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Laugh all you want, miss. No serious conservative expects the SC to outlaw abortion. We would like the SC to say "the constitution clearly doesn't say this is a federal issue, therefore its a state issue, states can do what they want".

We want smaller federal government, more states rights, therefore more individual ability to govern themselves, whether they choose to do say liberally or conservatively.

What a concept! Obviously foreign to your red way of looking at things...
Old 09-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #38
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Laugh all you want, miss. No serious conservative expects the SC to outlaw abortion. We would like the SC to say "the constitution clearly doesn't say this is a federal issue, therefore its a state issue, states can do what they want".

We want smaller federal government, more states rights, therefore more individual ability to govern themselves, whether they choose to do say liberally or conservatively.

What a concept! Obviously foreign to your red way of looking at things...
Every American who supports Trump should never be allowed to forget what just happened on that stage. After all the offenses against the nation and the Constitution, he refuses to commit to a peaceful transfer of power. If you support this man, you cannot call yourself a patriot.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:
Every American who supports Trump should never be allowed to forget what just happened on that stage. After all the offenses against the nation and the Constitution, he refuses to commit to a peaceful transfer of power. If you support this man, you cannot call yourself a patriot.
please.

hilary told biden to never concede, under any circumstances.

do you not see you’re the one who will tolerate any level of ugliness from their side? you never criticize any democrats, ever.

sheep.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #40
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
please.

hilary told biden to never concede, under any circumstances.

do you not see you’re the one who will tolerate any level of ugliness from their side? you never criticize any democrats, ever.

sheep.
Sure, Jim

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Sure, Jim
prove me wrong. show us you can be equally critical
of democrats. tell us what you think of the rape allegations against biden, the allegations of inappropriate behavior towards women, and his plagiarism.

go ahead. prove me wrong!!!!
Old 09-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #42
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
prove me wrong. show us you can be equally critical
of democrats. tell us what you think of the rape allegations against biden, the allegations of inappropriate behavior towards women, and his plagiarism.

go ahead. prove me wrong!!!!
Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus. Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus. Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable.
trump bashing, in response to a request about biden.

a loyal sheep you are.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #44
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
trump bashing, in response to a request about biden.

a loyal sheep you are.
Fool

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-24-2020, 04:52 AM   #45
scottw

Quote:

Fool

somebody call Guinness Book