Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 10-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Mr. Sandman

I phone 5S nightmare

OK...I have been holding out for a while now. (I had an iphone 3 and the rest of the crew had 4's) I wanted to get a different phone and get off apple bandwagon. It is OK but there are just too many little things that tick me off about it. But my family wanted the 5s and I wanted to keep everyone the same and have a simple family plan.

So 4 5s's came a week or so ago. Sent one to my son in college. Passed out the other 3. simple upgrade...but it did not work on cellular network. I fiddled with it for a couple days and could not get it to do data on cellular no matter what. I re-did the install and tried everything. Called AT&T, had them walk me thru steps...no luck. After 2 hours they opened a "ticket" on the problem. "someone will call you in a few days", (took them 4 days to call me). I got in the car and went to an AT&T store with the phone. There were 2 regional experts there that said " I can definitely fix this problem for you" after 1.5 hours they gave up and said my device was defective. (Same thing is happening with the other phones as well) I said fine, just replace them. Well, you have to call apple. Well I bought them from you. well you have to call apple. I called apple. After an hour with a very polite guy helping me to see if we could fix the issue he replaced the phones. I asked him have you heard anything about defective or problem phones...he said "we have heard everything you can think of, we sold millions of these in the first couple days and it is a new chipset a new phone and a new OS so I am not going to tell you everything is perfect but you should not be having these problems." I told him that I still think it is an AT&T issue and not a phone but he said lets replace them just to take that issue out of the loop.

Well, I got the replacements the other day. Installed them the same and...........it did not connect to the internet on the cell. It kept saying you have no data plan. (I have an unlimited data plan that is active and check numerous times by AT&T)

Took everything off the phone. Installed it as a "new phone" (instead of restore) and after several toggles of the on off switch and re-setting network parameters I got it to work. I then had to sync stuff separately and I lost a lot of my setting but I can fix that over time. There is an embedded cellular network setting that is getting clobbered when you do a "Restore" under itunes.

Took me a week, and 4 cocktails to figure this out.

finally got it working, I am surprised they have not heard of this.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Nebe

Ouch. That would drive me insane. My 4s has a cracked screen and I'm considering the 5s. I think the way to upgrade smoothly is to go to the apple store or an AT&T store and do it all righ there. That's how I've always don't it and have never had a problem. Sorry about yours though... Ouch
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Mr. Sandman

That is right...do it in a store and don't leave until they are working right. I just clicked on the "upgrade" button
Old 10-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I think it is the 4 cocktails!
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I still have the "brick." Samsung Rugby flip phone. No net. But it looks like a smaht phone is in the pipeline as Dani's phone is in need of an upgrade, and we are out of contract. I have had this one for over four years.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
That is right...do it in a store and don't leave until they are working right. I just clicked on the "upgrade" button
Exactly. Don't leave until it works
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Raven

it's unreal

the problem is...as i see it (reading about them)
the technology is outdated the minute it goes out for sale

the fingerprint security was hacked in the first hour

it will take a tri fecta of technologies: heart rhythm, retina scan, and thumb print done simultaneously
to improve security before i trust
doing online business on these "must have" gadgets ....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Thats Impossible, Apple products NEVER have Issues....Just ask anybody in a pair of Birkenstocks....they will tell you that

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Mr. Sandman

Upon further usage...it is still not working right. It will only text iphones. It will not communicate with non-iphones. If you send an SMS message..it looks like it goes out but you never hear back from your party. They send something to you and you never get it.

To say I am dissatisfied with AT&T and Apple is an understatement. I just don't have the time to #^&#^&#^&#^& with this anymore. I am bringing all this #^&#^&#^&#^& back.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Nebe

Go into settings and reset "network connections". You will have to re enter your router password. This happened to my ipad when I updated to 7 and it fixed the problem
Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman

done that 10+ times since I have owned it....

IMO there has to be a glitch between ios7 , itunes and att settings. I have given up for now. I have important fishing to do. I will take it back to an apple store in a month or so. I just can't text or receive texts from non iphones
Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Steve K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Ouch. That would drive me insane. My 4s has a cracked screen and I'm considering the 5s. I think the way to upgrade smoothly is to go to the apple store or an AT&T store and do it all righ there. That's how I've always don't it and have never had a problem. Sorry about yours though... Ouch
If you don't want to upgrade, buy a new lcd screen on ebay for $30. I have replaced two on wife's iphone 4.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Nebe

True. I was thinking I would hold out until the 6 is unleashed.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
Mr. Sandman

OK the iphone saga has ended. I had convinced myself that I had an AT&T issue and not an Iphone issue. I went back to the AT&T store and they worked on my phones for about an hour and a half. This was my second trip to the store and 2nd phone call to them. They eventually gave up and said there is something wrong with IOS7. I said there probably is but why is it only my 4 phones? They insisted it was an OS problem and I should drive to hingham and let them look at it. OK, I take another full day and go to hingham apple store (remember where I live and what I have to do to go to a store). I explain my dilemma and what I did to get this far but still no texting. He listened and said..."it sounds like a network problem" The other people sitting at the "genius" desk started laughing (they knew I had been to AT&T several times and they insisted it was an OS issue)
I said look, I agree with you I think they have my account screwed up but they insisted I come to you so here I am, I don't like being a ping pong ball I just need to get this texting matter resolved.
The Iphone tech, did a few tests and proved the phone was working and my data was not contaminating anything. Then he had a high level tech support number at AT&T and within 40 minutes the AT&T figured the problem. It was a configuration issue with AT&T...He said they screwed it up...then he put me on a customer service person who apologized to me and gave me a months credit.
Problems resolved. All is well. All phones are working properly as far as I can tell now.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Nebe

I hate AT&T. I have unlimited data and this month I must have gone over what there "limit" is on data for unlimited members and they have throttled back my service to something like 0.5 Mbps on their 3G network. All because I watched a couple of netflix movies on my iPad that I had tethered to my phone. That's downright fraud in my opinion... To limit an unlimited data plan.