Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Where Did The Sox Improve In The Off-Season???

What moves did they make to improve the team???? This should be good!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
What moves did they make to improve the team???? This should be good!

Best improvement,
Hazel Mae wearing much different (skimpier) clothing on the rewind that they make her wear in the studio on air !!!

http://www.hazelmae.net/hazel_mae_pi...ark/image4.htm

Last edited by Raider Ronnie; 04-02-2007 at 08:02 PM..

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I agree Ron! Boy...not alot of response to my question......surprising....or is it?

Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

.........hi you 'spectin' something?

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

hi larry- you trolled me up...right field will prove to be an upgrade- talented crip for a washed up one. pen can't be worse and some hids have a little more expirence and watch romero. lost loretta (very good 2b). as much as i hate to say it lugo will put up some #'s and have a few more errors.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Who? JD Drew??? Probably the most over rated improvement......ooppsss....second most over rated improvement! How good will he be when he hits the DL?? He looked mighty shaky in right field today!?!?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

yeah i guess we're one and done. when did you leave us...we will miss your enthusiasium

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
yeah i guess we're one and done. when did you leave us...we will miss your enthusiasium

I think I'm going to bring my dog over to Larry's house to take a crap on his lawn !!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 04-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Dice K

and Schilling got a year more experience under his belt

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #10
CAL
I need spring!

Replacing Gonzalez with Lugo=HUGE mistake.

Replacing Nixon had to be done, but Drew is not the answer, not with his salary.

Pedroia at 2nd over keeping Loretta? Give me a break.

Bullpen might be an improvement but that's not saying much.

Starting pitching might be the only improvement this year, and that's only because I think Dice-K will be OK and Clement won't be pitching.
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

After a few starts you may think Clement a better choice than Dice-K! I envision him getting shelled in his first start......I will be watching with anticipation!

Don.....I have said before....I am a Sox fan, but a realist! I evaluate the talent and I choose not to be happy with mediocrity as many of you seem to love it and hope for the best!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
t.orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
I think I'm going to bring my dog over to Larry's house to take a crap on his lawn !!!

Now thats funny.
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #13
clumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
After a few starts you may think Clement a better choice than Dice-K
Theres a realist for ya.

Man..Im a natural pessimist too but wow.
Clement made me miss Matt Young!

" the fisherman taking a great cod line to which he fasteneth a peece of lobster and threwes it into the sea. The rockfish biting at it, he pulls her to him and knockes her on the head with a sticke."
clumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #14
clumber

Im not expecting Dice K to reinvent pitching as we know it either.
The only expectation I have for him....is that I want to watch the games he pitches.
When Pedro was pitching, you didn't want to miss the game because you didn't want to miss anything....
For the time being Dice K gives me that feeling.....hes not Pedro..Im not saying that.....but his taking the mound still isnt to be missed.

" the fisherman taking a great cod line to which he fasteneth a peece of lobster and threwes it into the sea. The rockfish biting at it, he pulls her to him and knockes her on the head with a sticke."
clumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #15
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

a sox fan must have hope- and try to see the bright side. of course i see potentional for both good and bad. take ronnie for instance- his raiders suck out loud and he looks for positives- man's a fan. what did oddball say about negetvity? bottom line is i love the sox and always want the best for the team. this team WILL go far.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 AM   #16
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

I thought this bridge jumping after one whole game psyche you Sox fans have was cured after 2004

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Not bridge jumping on my end....and I never mentioned yesterdays game. Its just one game!

I said it before on Dice-K and I will say it again cause people don't listen.....by my thought process (try and step up here if you can ) is that they are paying $20,000,000.00 per season for this imported, unproven commodity who has zero MLB experience and not even a day in the minors! Now for that kind of dough, if he ain't winnin' 20 games out of the box.....it was a mistake! If after 3 seasons he is not a .750-.800 pitcher????? What a waste of money!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 AM   #18
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

...not my $$$. he's not pedro...if he wins 14-15 that's fine.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #19
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Don....you are a fool if that is fine with you! We could have gotten some aging relic to win 14 games or some wet behind the ears kid for that matter for alot less money! That money would have been better spent on buying the fans free hot dogs all year than on this "talent".

Still not one reply to my initial question....man you "Sox Fans" love to bask in mediocrity!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 AM   #20
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

i'm not expecting mediocrity- i'm expecting much more. we must up our bet . skd - revoke his bus pass... in todays game i'll take a 14 game #3.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 AM   #21
Squid kids Dad

Off the bus with you Bigfish!!!

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #22
fishsmith
DDG-51

Bigfish are you Ron Borges? you love to stir the pot don't you. I'm not going to do the search but if memory serves me right, you ate crow on your prediction of the 2004 Sox losing, and the Pats losing in one of their superbowl winning years, I hope you kept the crow recipie, and keep complaining, it a good read and always bodes well for our teams.

Here's an idea for a new plug - the bigfish crow, all black with a yellow beak. oke:
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #23
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Fishsmith....I don't hear you offering up any predictions and/or answers to my thread as to how the Sox made any improvements in the off-season? As wrong as I may have been in 04'.....you guys were all going to the World Series last year and were positive the Sox were going to make the playoffs......what happened? I will tell you this Fishsmith......I make my calls and right or wrong, I stand behind them and take the heat when it goes bad and I admit when I was wrong.....how many others do the same? They always seem to shrink out of sight! Its all fun and as always.....I hope I am wrong! I prefer Turkey but if the Sox win the World Series, crow will do! However I don't think its on the menu this season!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #24
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Strike King....Dice-K is costing the Sox in excess of $20,000,000.00 per season over 5 years! We paid the Japanese team over $50,000,000.00 just for the rights to him and then we paid Dice-K over $10,000,000.00 per season for 5 years......$20,000,000.00 dollars per season!

I would rather have paid David Wells 13-14 mil to come back.....he could still win 14 games!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #25
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

And Fishsmith.....when I am down on the Pats its due to the fact that I know they are better than they are playing at the time.....such as last season when they were s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g air, I was whining......but I was proven correct when they stepped it up and went to the Playoffs! This Sox team I do not believe to be better than an overpaid sub-500 team! You got Big Poppy and then......what?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #26
fishsmith
DDG-51

Here's my prediction for the Sox = World Champs '07 same for the Pats (but in '08) .

I do appreciate your honesty and calling them like you see them, but if the Yankee's took dice-k, why do I think we'd hear "Sox don't spend the $$"

Dice-K isn't a 100 million dollar man, I think he make 8mill a year, which in todays market is a bargin, the big $$ spent on him was to get into the japenese market, and that money will come back 10 fold. You gotta spend $$ to make make $$, that was all business.

JD Drew is a question mark, but hey I love our home teams and instead of hammering them, I just root for em.

I'm off to fill some easter baskets full of fishing stuff.

Go Red Sox!!!
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Not for nothing but they already made back that 51 Million posting fee before he even threw a pitch....Merchendise and Endorsments have already paid for that.

They are making a ton of cash off of him over in Japan....he's already doing Nike Commercials over there.

as far as improvements Dice-K is going to be an effective #3 for us. J.D. drew IS an improvement over Trot...albeit a bit of an over-priced improvement. but he is a better defensive outfielder than Trot and has a little more pop in his bat. and as far as the injury bug goes its not like Trot didn't get bit by that on a regular basis either.

We also got rid of Foulke...there's another improvement. He was absolutely painful to watch.

The person who needs to pull his head out of his arse is Varitek....a guy his size needs to be jacking out 25 HR's a season and he better hit better than a .240 clip....that killed a lot of rallies last season and so far with spring training it looks like he picked up right where he left off.

1/2 of building a team is Chemistry, not just Talent. Look at the Yankees the past 4-5 years...they have been stacked but they never developed any chemistry.....just a lot of attitude.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #28
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I like the way you think Kev!

I also agree with your "addition by subtraction" theory on Foulke and Nixon....though I think JD Drew is a nightmare waiting to happen!

Strike King....maybe I am wrong but I thought he signed for five years.....my math is correct based on that and if its six years then so be it....one more year of misery!

Add a Japanese "star" however just to get into a market and make big bucks on merchandise?? Yah, I figured that out but tack on 10 losses for the team and only about 14 wins (if he is lucky)....that is gonna hurt in the long run! Dice-K.....you can have him!

Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #29
Raider Ronnie

Ah,
Larry (Bigfish) is in mid season form !!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #30
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Pickins were as slim as I have ever seen....however I would never have pulled the trigger on that deal....I would have let the Yankees have him!!

You won't see me climbing on the Dice-K wagon I can tell you that! Not because I don't like him, but I look at the history of Asian players in the Majors (pitchers in particular) and the history is they implode....maybe a couple good years and done! Best was Nomo and...well.....he imploded! No longevity there....and only 2 position players ever amounted to anything.....Suzuki and the Yankee outfielder whose name escapes me at the moment!