Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
fish raptor

Trolling rod / Reel selection for stripers that look like Salmon

I have quite a bit of gear, both saltwater and fresh. 1 year ago I bought a beautiful Basscat Cougar in mint condition. I absolutely love to buy high end gear. Since it was my first freshwater boat i needed everything so went out and canvased the net and Bass blogs to find really good quality gear. Needed frog rods, deep diver rod, drop shot, jerkbait, all purpose rod and on and on. Ended up with some Dolbyns, Steez rods & reels, Kistler Zbone w/Daiwa Zillion, NRX w/Diawa Certate, some Stella's, and so on. I love the premium stuff. So I have my all my saltwater bases covered and freshwater Bass & such covered but now I wish to troll for lake trout and Salmon up at lake Geroge & Champlain but all my fresh water gear is either too light and my saltwater is way too heavy so need to purchase two trolling rods and conventional reels for trolling for Salmon, Lake Trout and anything big that I might attempt down the road. If you care to give tips on line, guides, presentations and techniques regarding trolling for salmon I would love to hear.

I was leaning towards Shimano Calcuttas until I saw the youtube video by J&H tackle where owner claims they are great reels but their gears can be compromised if trying to haul in too big a fish. This surprised me as i thought Calcuttas were top shelf. So with that said am look for suggestions for high end reels and trolling rods. I know there are a million of them out there and thought it made sense to hear suggestions from the guys who use them this would eliminate the manufactures "sales" hype and get me to the gear I need. If you care to mention reel size if they come in different sizes and rod lengths that would be great. I read an article just the other day that stated trolling rods from 8'6" to 10'6"....
and just like Jurrasic Park "We spare no expense"....... Look forward to hearing your comments.

thank you
fish raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
bobber

I'm a little surprised to hear the knock against Calcuttas, but they were not meant for trolling so I guess its possible. you could consider small Avet reels- similar in size to the Calcuttas but no plastic parts.
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote