Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 05-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Hobie Shout Out!

I have been looking into the Hobie Yaks for awhile and am very close to purchasing one......anyone own the new "Angler" model that just came out?? Curious if they like it?? Also I have not test driven on of these "Mirage Drive" Yaks for myself and would like to do so before I plunk down all the money! Anyone here who owns one and lives on the South Shore like to let me test paddle for a few minutes to see how I like it?? Let me know.....glad to toss you a few plugs for your trouble!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
leo33

if you get to the New Bedford area give me a shout.your more than welcome to take my outback for a pedal.
leo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
BigBo

That new Pro Angler is a beast! I would love to get into one of them. $2200 price tag though.......

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Thumper

real nice Hobie mirage outback s.u.v on the RI list right now. i have been eyeing it for a while but can't come up with the cash.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Pete_G

Never taken one for a test drive but I've seen them in action.

Paddled kayaks are just slow by comparison.

Really opened my eyes once I saw one charging across the ocean complete with a bow wake, into a strong head wind, while his friends in paddle kayaks struggled to make progress towards breaking albies.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
JFigliuolo

I'd definitely test drive the PA in some decent swells if possible (may not be) Something about that boat gives me the willies thinking about some of the water I've been in. I have no idea how it would handle it (good or bad). Either way, you'll love the hobie. Your more than welcome to test out my Revo fishing in RI if you wish. I've got a second Yak that I could use while you fish out of the Revo. It would be some driving for you as I can only transport one Yak. But if your interested the option is out there.

I LOVE my revo...

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr365 View Post
real nice Hobie mirage outback s.u.v on the RI list right now. i have been eyeing it for a while but can't come up with the cash.
That boat is over priced... I wouldn't pay over 1300 at MOST for a used hull in EXCELLENT condition.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
surfflyfish

the PA it's not made for the surf or go out far like you might with and outback or revo.if you're going to move around and fish diffrent waters including chops and rough waters here and there the outback is the way to go,or if you want it faster but a little wet ride then get the revo.
i bought the outback,because i'm going to rig it and i want to move around,drift and cruise.the outback fit those needs.

If You are looking for your next Real Estate Sale or Purchase-Contact me.
surfflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
MAC

I was in one for over 5 hours yesterday. The morning was nice only 1' or so of light chop. The afternoon on south cape was 2'+ too hard to fish but had a great time peddling. I never felt nervous and the boat was very stable. I did wear a life vest as I had my waders on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outback.jpg (85.8 KB, 36 views)
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

If I were to buy a yak, this would be it. I was out at gooseberry last year, being chased by one of these.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Squid kids Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
I was in one for over 5 hours yesterday. The morning was nice only 1' or so of light chop. The afternoon on south cape was 2'+ too hard to fish but had a great time peddling. I never felt nervous and the boat was very stable. I did wear a life vest as I had my waders on.
Mac..Were you one of guys that pulled into the far end of the parking lot around 6 or so?

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid kids Dad View Post
Mac..Were you one of guys that pulled into the far end of the parking lot around 6 or so?
yes, me,Ryan Smith, Eastend Lou and Johnny. Fishing was almost impossible with the chop. Had to keep an eye out for the waves. Was fun though.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Squid kids Dad

Damn..Wish I had stopped by..Next time..Looked like you guys were on a mission

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote