Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #31
vineyardblues

They did change the derby with the times !
no more Albi daily prize , Lots of memo's last year and this year on size and shrinkage

After weight in , they check ea fish and donate, after pictures etc
If a fish is suspect in any way they put it aside for other ventures, lobster pots etc

Like others have stated this derby is about sending kids to college , donating and sponsorships awards ..... I am not sure but I do not think they make any money at all ? You can donate and claim on your taxes if interested

More big fish were killed in the canal in a week this year , just saying
in the last 5 years not a 40lb was landed from shore during the derby
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #32
rphud
GrandBob

three lead changes in one day and lots of bones
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #33
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I despise the derby...... but I would note that, in the last decade at least, very few large striped bass are weighed in. Way below what is killed for the Striper Cup or even a blitz weekend at the canal.
As of yesterday, there were 242 bass weighed in over the course of the Derby. That's probably less mortality than a blitz day at the Canal. There were more albies weighed in than bass. 500 blues. I remember back in the 80s and early 90s when 2000 or more blues hit the scale. That's combined boat and shore.

I wish that more albies would be released, since they're not eligible for dailies. Actually, I'm not fond of daily prizes to begin with. I could never see the point of keeping a 15 pound bass just for a chance at a hat pin and a few bucks.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #34
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Took me awhile to find where you saw that..... Team results. Makes sense.... he could be a team all by himself!
The guy knows where to find fish on the Vin eyard!

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #35
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
As of yesterday, there were 242 bass weighed in over the course of the Derby. That's probably less mortality than a blitz day at the Canal. There were more albies weighed in than bass. 500 blues. I remember back in the 80s and early 90s when 2000 or more blues hit the scale. That's combined boat and shore.

I wish that more albies would be released, since they're not eligible for dailies. Actually, I'm not fond of daily prizes to begin with. I could never see the point of keeping a 15 pound bass just for a chance at a hat pin and a few bucks.
Mike only three albies can be weighed in by any one participant during the entire derby. When the committee went from no daily, to only weekly prizes for albies the catch totals went way down. Most fishermen/women keep track of weight needed to take over a position on the leader board, and do not any longer weigh in an albie just to get their weigh slip. I did not weigh in an albie even though I had several fish close to third place. However, high mortality can occur when a hook is swalliwed by the fish as deep as the gills. On the flip side guys are starting to find out bass, and blues eat albie strips bottom fishing.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote