Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 01-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
BMEUPSCOTTY

f'n cancer

To everyone it has touched, I'm sorry. Why doesn't it just affect bad people? My best friend, fishing buddy, and BIL, a great guy who I look up to... Lives way healthier than me, does everything right, raises two great kids, takes good care of my sister, my parents... plows out the whole hill in the winter etc.
Apparently out of nowhere, (and he does not hide from the dr.) today we found out he has stage 4 gastric cancer, with liver and lymph nodes along for the ride.. I googled, I know the deal... Life ain't fair..
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
Guppy
User

Terrible,,,
I’m sure you’ll be there for them...
Thoughts and prayers
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
Sea Dangles

Not fair
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

We lost two family members this year to cancer, it’s a trying journey for all it touches, I feel your pain.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Cancer is not fair, other than it goes after everyone directly or indirectly. Hopefully cancer's days are numbered.

Good luck to your BIL.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMEUPSCOTTY View Post
To everyone it has touched, I'm sorry. Why doesn't it just affect bad people? My best friend, fishing buddy, and BIL, a great guy who I look up to... Lives way healthier than me, does everything right, raises two great kids, takes good care of my sister, my parents... plows out the whole hill in the winter etc.
Apparently out of nowhere, (and he does not hide from the dr.) today we found out he has stage 4 gastric cancer, with liver and lymph nodes along for the ride.. I googled, I know the deal... Life ain't fair..
So sorry to hear...

One thing I always relay to people I hear who get this news is that while statistics and medical journals can be scary and not on your side, enough people pull off recoveries against the odds, increasingly so with modern medicine always improving, that it’s always worth holding onto some hope and acting as a positive force for your loved ones who are fighting, you never know what might work.

Good luck, sorry again that you have to go through it.

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #7
chris L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
So sorry to hear...

One thing I always relay to people I hear who get this news is that while statistics and medical journals can be scary and not on your side, enough people pull off recoveries against the odds, increasingly so with modern medicine always improving, that it’s always worth holding onto some hope and acting as a positive force for your loved ones who are fighting, you never know what might work.

Good luck, sorry again that you have to go through it.
Exactly
I think a lot of people beat the odds . I believe it an internal fight to stay . Give positive hope and be there for him and your Family .

I hope the best for your BIL .
Chris
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
vineyardblues

God Bless
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
Hookedagain

God Bless him and his family during this most difficult time. I have a family full of cancer, both active and past. It takes a miserable toll on the entire family. Very unfair!!
Hookedagain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #10
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Cancer absolutely sucks.
I’ve lost family and friends so has my wife.
It’s devastating to live through & watch, even worse when the one who has it ha young kids as what’s going on with a good friend now.
Call me a conspiracy theorist but I call it government population control.
A LOT of people making money off it !!!
Pharmaceutical companies are not interested in cures, only customers !
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #11
maxum16

Cancer sucks...I know, I lost my mom to stage 4 colon cancer back on Jan 28, 2006. She was 56 years young. It can't hurt for your BIL to look into consuming foods that help raise your bodies ph. As far as treatments go..sometimes their worse than the disease. Like I said it can't hurt to eat raw vegetables that are high in alkalinity, might not taste good, but a small price to pay if it helps. God Bless.!!!

Last edited by maxum16; 01-08-2019 at 09:59 AM..
maxum16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #12
FishermanTim

Here's some food for thought...

We keep hearing news that medicine is making strides in treating and sometimes beating cancer. That's great, as it gives hope to those that might not have had any if they were diagnosed decades ago.

The flip side of all these advances is a simple fact....there are MORE cases "popping up" daily.

So they might find a treatment that works on one type of cancer, and treat thousands of people, but there are probably 10-100 of thousands that get diagnosed daily.

Even with added treatments, it sure sounds like we're losing the battle by shear numbers, not types of cancer.

Remember, nature abhors a vacuum, so a cure of one type of cancer could conceivably spawn a mutated version of another that we have no treatment for.

One key thing to consider is even though we may live a good healthy lifestyle, our genetics will always have a "wild-card" chromosome to play that trumps everything else.

But I digress.
To get back to the NOW, I wish your friend (and all others that are dealing with this disease) the best possible outcome.

I say this because the best possible, based on the specific disease, may not be recovery but rather a quick and painless passing. I explained this to friends and family when my father was dying from brain and lung cancer. Mercifully, he was not in any physical pain, just the mental anguish of knowing the end was near. We had him brought home so he could spend his last days at home with family.

Like I said, the best possible outcome (for a terrible situation).

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
bassballer

F**K cancer. Its really not fair.
bassballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

yes cancer really sucks
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #15
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

My cancer has been in remission since 2011. What finally worked ......POT!
My uro-oncologist wrote me a prescription for it and within 90 days there were no more tumors. I still smoke once a week and I buy from the dispensary on Providence. Medicare doesn't cover it but I don't care.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

They've been saying they are thisclose to a cure for years now. Hate to think it but big pharma has quite the business TREATING it and as unethical as it sounds they may be only concerned with their bottom line.
Long but very interesting..
https://youtu.be/5eRTjPbhcB0

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
FishermanTim

Of course they're in it only looking at their bottom line!

Any pharma exec that claims that they are "this close" to a cure, and would welcome a day when their drugs were not needed to treat cancer is LYING THRU HIS TEETH!

Need any proof? Where do you think most (if not all) of the ED drugs came from? They weren't out looking for a magic pecker pill, but some whiz kid chemist found that one of the side effects of a "new" cancer drug they were testing was a raging hard-on.

So they pretty much dropped the cancer research aspect and focused on that new market....erectile dysfunction.

Sadly, the cancer drug market is not unlike the recreational drug market, except cancer drug makers KNOW that many of their "users" are going to die, but they also know that there are many more waiting in the wings to jump on the wagon.

With that kind of market why would they ever want to CURE cancer?

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

sorry to hear, cancer sucks

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:03 AM   #19
BMEUPSCOTTY

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts guys. My BIL is currently home and scheduled to start treatment at Fox Chase in Philly. I guess three experts there in this speciality. Reading my op again I realize how weird of a week it's been. He (and all my family) are in PA, so I'm keeping up by phone/text. I want to go back and visit, and I hope to soon, but for now I have to go to work every day and wait for news. I have to try and forget about it every day so I can take care of things here, and then try not to feel bad about "forgetting" about it. He's in good spirits, and I know he's taking it easy because he watched the Patriots game the other day on my suggestion. He is not a huge sports fan, and I don't think I've ever seen him watch tv during the day on a weekend lol..
Hunting, fishing, tending to his bees, loading shells, hunting mushrooms, or just a walk with the dog in the Gamelands... anything but tv.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #20
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Schedule a weekend to get down there

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:58 PM   #21
BMEUPSCOTTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Schedule a weekend to get down there
We are. He started radiation Thursday down near Philly, and they are staying with their daughter near King-of-Prussia during the radiation treatments. That will be followed by two types of chemo, one pill and one by induction. He gets a port on Feb 4th, and I think he can do most of the chemo back home, and that's when we're trying to schedule a visit.
His biggest issue right now is the blood clots in his legs, he can barely walk. They need to shrink the tumor before they start heparin to dissolve the blood clots. We'll go down to Philly if we have to, but we're waiting to find out where he'll be.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #22
Clammer

from experience ...don,t wait too long >

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #23
Jimbo

Yeah cancer sucks. In the KOP area you have a lot of expertise in cancer care, Fox Chase is well, well known, you can't go wrong there. I was treated at RWJ New Brunswick for my colon cancer surgery, and Regional Cancer Care for my chemo. Top notch care, both. My mom fell to non-Hodgekins lymphoma some years back and my dad died last week being treated for but not dying of Myeloma. 88 and feeling so independent...just had a medical episode. Will miss him. Neither ever smoked. Sucks
Staying positive, and as dad said, "what's the alternative," is what your BIL must do, that and a hell of a lot of family support, which it seems like he has. It's so important.
https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/ Roland Barker. Dad I miss you.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Jimbo, very sorry about your father you have my condolences.
yes cancer sucks

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #25
Sea Dangles

Sorry Jimbo
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #26
Guppy
User

Yes, sorry Jimbo, thought and prayers
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:36 AM   #27
BMEUPSCOTTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Yeah cancer sucks. In the KOP area you have a lot of expertise in cancer care, Fox Chase is well, well known, you can't go wrong there. I was treated at RWJ New Brunswick for my colon cancer surgery, and Regional Cancer Care for my chemo. Top notch care, both. My mom fell to non-Hodgekins lymphoma some years back and my dad died last week being treated for but not dying of Myeloma. 88 and feeling so independent...just had a medical episode. Will miss him. Neither ever smoked. Sucks
Staying positive, and as dad said, "what's the alternative," is what your BIL must do, that and a hell of a lot of family support, which it seems like he has. It's so important.
https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/ Roland Barker. Dad I miss you.
Thanks Jim, and wow, sorry about your dad. Yeah that's pretty much the attitude Anthony has, and he does have a lot of support.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:37 AM   #28
BMEUPSCOTTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
from experience ...don,t wait too long >
We definitely will not.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:45 AM   #29
BMEUPSCOTTY

Just wanted to say to everyone else that responded that I did read every post and appreciate every response and send condolences to all that shared their own unfortunate experiences. I feel bad for not posting on here more, and for lurking and not signing on to respond to threads like these when I see them, which is way to often..

Old 02-10-2019, 11:27 PM   #30
BMEUPSCOTTY

Wanted to post this in the good news thread but figured I should keep things tidy. Wife and I went down to visit Anthony. I was prepared, but it was still a little hard to hold that smile and keep the shake out of my voice at first. Amazing what can happen to a person in a month. 🙁 He had surgery Thursday and Friday to deal with the blood clots before they could start treating the main problem again. It was so good to see him, he was glad we came, and we're scoping out flights to go down again soon, because the drive from here to Philly sux lol

wanted to add, Fox Chace, where he is at, is absolutely top notch. Unbelievable people and care there.
The surgery he had required equipment they only had at Temple, but instead of transporting him they brought the equipment to him.

Last edited by BMEUPSCOTTY; 02-10-2019 at 11:37 PM..