Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Happy New Year to all

I'd like to say a few things here and you can listen or not.
We have had another good year in the plug forum but I'd like to see 2005 go even better. The plug forum is a great place for commradery and a place to learn how to build plugs to catch fish with. A place to organize swaps and trades. I hope it can stay that way and some of the more experienced members can feel free to contribute and continue to do so without any bickering and potshots being taken. I am not pointing out anything in particular, just that in the past since fishing season has ended especially, there have been a few flareups and I want to remind all that this forum is not the place for personal problems. I will start deleting inflammatory comments or anything I judge to be inciteful. There seems to be some trouble on the internet where when you read something it is hard to tell at times if someone is just joking or serious. Also, timing seems to be a problem lately. If something is posted that you suggest is an attack at you or whatever, maybe PM that person and get the story straight before accusations begin to fly. I think we can all get along here. It's about sharing and learning, if you don't want to share something, then don't bring it up and don't brag about something of yours that you need to keep to yourself. Keep that kind of boasting off the forum here, this is not the place.
This is the place to show off your work if you want to hear comments on your creations. But if you plan on selling them, don't post pictures here and then sell those plugs. This is not a forum to spam your wares. I know there is alot of fishermen that want custom plugs to fish with or just to own, but what I am asking is that you all respect JohnR and the paying sponsors of the site and not promote your product here. I am not saying you can't sell a few plugs if you want to, you can do whatever you want, I am just saying not to promote them on this forum. If you put them in the classified forum maybe you could sell all you can make, who knows, but then again maybe JohnR wouldn't allow that I don't know, ask him. Go ahead and sell them on Ebay or on the beach or whatever, but don't try to stir up interest in your plugs by using this site.
I will say one more thing about selling homemade plugs, just realize that most builders that sell have years of experience and test their plugs till they get results and then make sure what they sell actually do what they are intended to do. Anothers words, you might want to test all your plugs in the water first to make sure they don't sink,float,swim upsidedown,the paint peels off or they have no action if that is not what they are supposed to do. CharlieM once said a long time ago that if we spend all this time making a plug, that they should be tested to see if they work well before putting even more time into them by painting and sealing. What good is a finished plug that won't work? He made a very good point. I see today that PNG put a thread up that is on the same subject - notice his bodies are not painted
It bothers me a little that there used to be a good group of guys that would help out anyone with a question but if some of them happen to sell afew plugs now , they aren't as willing to help out as much anymore
I think it's great that many new guys are joining in and it is great that thier question are answered but when some of the replies are giving wrong information, that is not a good thing. One of the best ways for some to learn is to try it yourself, there are many here that do that and they share the results to you, thanks.
Maybe if there is less bickering, some of the oldtimers would join in more often with their comments and answers.

Just be careful whatever you do. And have fun doing it.

I'll get down off the soapbox for now

Thanks and have a great new year.

Last edited by Slipknot; 02-05-2006 at 04:13 PM..
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
redneck24
WTF

well said slip. happy new year to you as well.

diamondbanger
redneck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Happy New Year Slip......you make a nice soap box! Well said and thanks for all you do here.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Nebe

Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
Jigman

Fishing season is over Oh wait, you mean no more fishing in 04. When I go next week, its the start of the 2005 season

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

Well said. Let '05 be a good one for all.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I don't want my point to be taken the wrong way, I don't mean that people who may sell a few plugs or may sell 200 plugs, not post any pictures of their work at all. We like to see examples of good plugmanship I just think you ought to be a little more sensible about showing off what you have to sell, post it somewhere else if you are a sponsor put it in the sponsor section, if you aren't a sponsor ask john if you can post in the classifieds or put them on ebay. (A while ago John was working on a place the few builders that wanted to , could sell online and he can get a small commision, maybe he is still working on that )
Sometimes it's obvious that with a picture of gads of plugs , that someone wants to sell them, other times it may be that someone made a whole bunch of something just to trade with and is proud to show his work. It's up to the individual to decide what is right and wrong. I don't go posting pictures of custom kitchens on a Woodworking website to drum up business for myself, I wouldn't do the same with a lure building site either if I had plugs I wanted to sell. That's all I am saying.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
ROCFISH

SOAPBOX

Happy New Year
And Slip I'm low on wood , is that soapbox made of cedar.
ROCFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Slip - very well said and I totally agree.

We've always had a bunch of people helping out on this Plug Board and that has helped majorly make what this board, and this site, what it is today.

You guys do INCREDIBLE work. More and more people - today alone two people told me - that this is the BEST plug forum out there! That means a lot to me and impresses the hell out of me. And it isn't my doing - it's all of you (and especially Slip as he REALLY helps out in here). So congrats and a bow to all of you. You all have done and continue to do great work! (I have a couple things in the pipe that might help out and hopefully make it more enjoyable... )

As for the selling thru the boards, I would hate to see people trying to take advantage of the site to sell some product. It takes away from the community here. If you sell a couple plugs to recoup some of your costs - that's fine, but please don't use S-B against the rules for personal gain...

As for what Slip said about some possible plug thing or other ? Maybe, down the road - big maybe

Oh yeh - No Cabin Fever this year, OK, please? Pretty Please? I beg

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

ya JohnR
this place is the bees knees
easy to post pics.
none of that "hey you can't post links in here crap"
bye far the best
and cap't walt hasn't found it yet

thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
NIB

Well said Slip,Happy new Year Buddy.I notice lately there are some folks not posting an I also noticed the guys that sell there stuff becoming quite over the yrs.Not sharing with the boards that many of them learned from I remember when more than quite a few of them started this stuff an we all learned together.Slip Has some first runs of quite a few Fine builders here an they hardly resemble anything they make today.It was alot of fun. Everyone seemed to push each other to be better.Now It seems everyone is a professional, quite, no pics an there are these little clicks where u gotta be a memeber to get the real secret information or plugs an thats too bad.Its kinda childish really. When the fact of the matter is if U make a quality Plug an decide to sell it U probably could not keep up with the demand I don't care if u make 10,000 needles a yr.ask HABS.thats 200 per week thats alot of plugs.An they buy out the shops the minute the hit the selves.Thats alot of wood, paint, hardware an labor. do the math if u think its a great living ur probably better off keepin ur day job.I did some work with a guy usta have a plug biz an there's no romance in drilling blanks all day its factory work at its best with all kinds of cancer causing factors thrown in. thats OK there will be a new crop of amazing guys coming thru to keep things going.Hopefully we can continue to share what we have learned.By the way I don't put pics up because i got any super secret plugs they are the same crap I see evryone else make I just can't do it.I'm a pic dummy.sorry I try to share with what I can with words an I know that is tough.an I am by no means a expert.But I help when I can Its what makes the world go round.I will try to make a few more this yr an spread some love like Tony Appleseed.An ifn I evr figure out how to post a pic look out.Happy New Year to everyone an good luck makin those fine customs.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #14
Backbeach Jake

Sounds more than fair to me, Slip! The Plugbuilding, Hoing and Trading has been a huge source of pleasure to me. It's proven to be a very satisfying and all possessing hobby. It has most importantly brought many new friends into my life. For that I'm very grateful to JohnR, you and all the rest for the Very hard work that you do here. Everyone, have a Happy 2005!
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #15
vineyardblues

Happy 05 Slip and Everyone Else.

Go Redsox And Patriots !

And all the plug's loss at sea ><>

VB
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:43 AM   #16
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Thanks for the heads up Slip. I am very glad that I was introduced to plug making (Jig Man ). It gives me hours of pleasure. I need all the help I can get and I can find it here.
Thanks everyone, Happy '05
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 AM   #17
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Great post slip..The amount of info I have gained here is invaluable. Where else can you go and ask anything you can think of and have it answered, true you have to sort thru the wise a$$es sometimes, but it's all good ..
Anyway, because of this forum and more so S-B.Com I have gotten to know a few good guys and will hopefully continue to do so. This place feeds my addiction and I am also proud to say I am with Lathe now .....So hopefully with this coming year and and this great site I might be able to turn out a few good hunks of wood.. I can't wait to test out a few plugs, and hopefully come up with a winner. There are a few guys I would like to hook up
Happy New Year all... Screaming reels in '05

-Chris

Thnx JohnR

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #18
Krispy

Personally, this will be my last post in "Salty's plug forum".
Best of luck to you all
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #19
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

I don't know NIB but I always seem to be shaking my head in agreement when I read his posts....best of luck to all, be safe and lets have fun TOGETHER johnny
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #20
NIB

Quote:
Originally posted by Krispy
Personally, this will be my last post in "Salty's plug forum".
Best of luck to you all
Whats up with that.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #21
ROCFISH

I thought I was the only one who didn't get it?
ROCFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #22
bassbudda

SLIP, YOU HIT IT DEAD CENTER. I RARELY POST UNLESS I FEEL I HAVE A CONTRIBUTION OR IF I NEED CLARIFICATION. I ALWAYS UNDERSTOOD THIS BOARD WAS FOR SHARING TECHNIQES, IDEA'S, ETC.- NOT FOR ONE -UPS-MANSHIP!

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO POST CHILDLIKE INANITIES, POST TO SEE THEIR OWN SMILIES, SET UP LITTLE SEWING CIRCLES---LET THEM DO IT BUT

BUT ON ANOTHER SITE!

TKS. SLIP TO YOU AND ALL THE OTHER GENTS WHO HAVE SHARED.

I HOPE TO LEARN MORE IN '05

BASSBUDDA

WORK IS THE PERIOD OF AGGRIVATION BETWEEN TIDES

ANIHILATE SPOT BURNERS
bassbudda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #23
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I like smilies and will continue using them as often as possible! As for sewing....not much of a fan.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

This is the kind of reason I wrote the second paragraph of my first post on this thread.

And I am glad to see we didn't get any responses at all to this thread that is the best way to deal with it maybe, just let it fall to page 2, unless JohnR wanted to delete it.

Thanks for all your cooperation in the forum everyone.

Happy plugmaking
Old 02-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #25
Slipknot
Super Moderator

2006 now

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #26
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot
Happy New Year to all

I'd like to say a few things here and you can listen or not.
We have had another good year in the plug forum but I'd like to see 2005 go even better. The plug forum is a great place for commradery and a place to learn how to build plugs to catch fish with. A place to organize swaps and trades. I hope it can stay that way and some of the more experienced members can feel free to contribute and continue to do so without any bickering and potshots being taken. I am not pointing out anything in particular, just that in the past since fishing season has ended especially, there have been a few flareups and I want to remind all that this forum is not the place for personal problems. I will start deleting inflammatory comments or anything I judge to be inciteful. There seems to be some trouble on the internet where when you read something it is hard to tell at times if someone is just joking or serious. Also, timing seems to be a problem lately. If something is posted that you suggest is an attack at you or whatever, maybe PM that person and get the story straight before accusations begin to fly. I think we can all get along here. It's about sharing and learning, if you don't want to share something, then don't bring it up and don't brag about something of yours that you need to keep to yourself. Keep that kind of boasting off the forum here, this is not the place.
This is the place to show off your work if you want to hear comments on your creations. But if you plan on selling them, don't post pictures here and then sell those plugs. This is not a forum to spam your wares. I know there is alot of fishermen that want custom plugs to fish with or just to own, but what I am asking is that you all respect JohnR and the paying sponsors of the site and not promote your product here. I am not saying you can't sell a few plugs if you want to, you can do whatever you want, I am just saying not to promote them on this forum. If you put them in the classified forum maybe you could sell all you can make, who knows, but then again maybe JohnR wouldn't allow that I don't know, ask him. Go ahead and sell them on Ebay or on the beach or whatever, but don't try to stir up interest in your plugs by using this site.
I will say one more thing about selling homemade plugs, just realize that most builders that sell have years of experience and test their plugs till they get results and then make sure what they sell actually do what they are intended to do. Anothers words, you might want to test all your plugs in the water first to make sure they don't sink,float,swim upsidedown,the paint peels off or they have no action if that is not what they are supposed to do. CharlieM once said a long time ago that if we spend all this time making a plug, that they should be tested to see if they work well before putting even more time into them by painting and sealing. What good is a finished plug that won't work? He made a very good point. I see today that PNG put a thread up that is on the same subject - notice his bodies are not painted
It bothers me a little that there used to be a good group of guys that would help out anyone with a question but if some of them happen to sell afew plugs now , they aren't as willing to help out as much anymore
I think it's great that many new guys are joining in and it is great that thier question are answered but when some of the replies are giving wrong information, that is not a good thing. One of the best ways for some to learn is to try it yourself, there are many here that do that and they share the results to you, thanks.
Maybe if there is less bickering, some of the oldtimers would join in more often with their comments and answers.

Just be careful whatever you do. And have fun doing it.

I'll get down off the soapbox for now

Thanks and have a great new year.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #27
Slipknot
Super Moderator

2006 and 2007 went by fast

and 2008 is almost over

here comes 2009

Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM   #28
pbadad

Happy New Year to all you dustmakers. Keep up the great info on the site. Thanks Slip for your support. See you at Plugfest.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote