Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #1
Nebe

Dogs- the joys and the pain

I had to put our dog down yesterday. People always told me that you can never prepare emotionally to have to make that choice and to say good bye and I totally get it. This is by far the most grief I have ever felt and I have lost all grandparents and 1 parent.
The house is so quiet now. All our routines revolved around him.. and I am lost.

But the amazing thing is that last night my wife and I went for a walk to one of our dogs favorite places and we sat down on a wall and listened to so many birds and so many frogs peeping that it was like they were all cheering for him and then the most amazing thing happened. An owl flew into the tree above us and sat for 5 minutes and just looked at us. Then he flew away. If that wasn’t a sign from the spirit world, I don’t know what is.
I know I will be ok soon and time will heal the pain slowly but it feels like a giant part of me died yesterday.
God speed Hector.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Very sorry, my friend. Been there too many times.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
Hookedagain

In 2015 we came home from vacation to find out our Lab had a tumor the size of a summer squash. He was in a lot of pain and there wasn't much we could do for him. We said our good byes and he was gone by 10 O'clock that evening. As tough as it was for my wife and I, it was ten times harder watching my 12 year old son deal with this. I know how you feel with the empty house, it was just weird. For a few weeks I would look for him in the yard as I drove up to the house and not having him under my feet took some getting used too. Great dog and gone too soon, they are supposed to be around longer than 7 years.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
In 2015 we came home from vacation to find out our Lab had a tumor the size of a summer squash. He was in a lot of pain and there wasn't much we could do for him. We said our good byes and he was gone by 10 O'clock that evening. As tough as it was for my wife and I, it was ten times harder watching my 12 year old son deal with this. I know how you feel with the empty house, it was just weird. For a few weeks I would look for him in the yard as I drove up to the house and not having him under my feet took some getting used too. Great dog and gone too soon, they are supposed to be around longer than 7 years.
Our vet found a lump in his abdomen that was the size of a cant Cantaloupe. It was his spleen and it had been bleeding. So sad. If he lived to 15 so in that regard I feel blessed to have him as long as I did.
I’m sorry yours went so soon.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Very sorry, my friend. Been there too many times.
Thank you Ross. It is so hard. This is my first round. I had a dog when I was younger but when you are younger it’s different. This dog was like a child to me
Old 04-23-2021, 05:49 AM   #6
Guppy
User

Eben, sorry for your pain.. I know it hurts...

I’ve only owned one dog, Ducky, had her for fifteen years and lost her thirty years ago,,, still think of her often....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #7
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Eben, sorry for your pain.. I know it hurts...

I’ve only owned one dog, Ducky, had her for fifteen years and lost her thirty years ago,,, still think of her often....
Could you not bring yourself to bring another one into your life because of the pain of loosing one would be so hard? That’s my worry.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #8
PaulS

My condolences on your lose. I'm sure that both you and he were lucky to have each other. What was his name?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #9
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
My condolences on your lose. I'm sure that both you and he were lucky to have each other. What was his name?
His name was Hector. He was adopted by my wife as a puppy before I met her and he came into my life when he was 5. So I had 10 amazing years with him. He was the fluffiest softest English shepherd I have ever seen. Gahhhhh
Old 04-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #10
JFigliuolo

been there. It sucks. Gonna be there again, no matter what there is no way to prepare. Taking everyday she's still doing ok (for an old dog) as a good one.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
been there. It sucks. Gonna be there again, no matter what there is no way to prepare. Taking everyday she's still doing ok (for an old dog) as a good one.
Give her a scratch for me. Preferably behind the ears.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #12
spence

Sorry to hear that. Hector was a great dog, awesome personality.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:22 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss, they certainly have a way of weaseling their way into your heart. Never an easy thing.
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #14
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hector was a great dog, awesome personality.
Thanks Jeff.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #15
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
So sorry for your loss. I have been there a few times, and it doesn't get easier. I'm thankful everyday for my boy Tucker, year and a half old, and the time is just flying by. Lots of hugs going your way.

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

5 years ago, one of our dogs died in her sleep, at age 16. The minute we discovered her lifeless, in her crate, every smoke alarm in the house went off, for no apparent reason.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #17
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Could you not bring yourself to bring another one into your life because of the pain of loosing one would be so hard? That’s my worry.
The dog was a package deal, came with me before the wedding... LOL
Wife’s not a fan,,, happy wife..... blah blah blah... LOL

U guy’s will need a new friend for sailing..... when it’s time....
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #18
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
5 years ago, one of our dogs died in her sleep, at age 16. The minute we discovered her lifeless, in her crate, every smoke alarm in the house went off, for no apparent reason.
Wow. Thats amazing
Old 04-24-2021, 05:25 AM   #19
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Oh no. I’m so sorry to hear this. Hector was one of a kind. Tons of personality. Smart. Beautiful....he truly was a special pup.

My heart hurts for you and Jen. He will be missed by many
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #20
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

So sorry for your loss - they are such special parts of our lives.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #21
beamie

I love my dogs. My newest pup cost us a bit of money when she ate a cat toy and had a blockage. But what ya gonna do let a nice 6 month old die. They are no different than kids.

Go get another friend Eben soon.
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #22
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I had to put our dog down yesterday. People always told me that you can never prepare emotionally to have to make that choice and to say good bye and I totally get it. This is by far the most grief I have ever felt and I have lost all grandparents and 1 parent.
The house is so quiet now. All our routines revolved around him.. and I am lost.

But the amazing thing is that last night my wife and I went for a walk to one of our dogs favorite places and we sat down on a wall and listened to so many birds and so many frogs peeping that it was like they were all cheering for him and then the most amazing thing happened. An owl flew into the tree above us and sat for 5 minutes and just looked at us. Then he flew away. If that wasn’t a sign from the spirit world, I don’t know what is.
I know I will be ok soon and time will heal the pain slowly but it feels like a giant part of me died yesterday.
God speed Hector.
Sorry for your loss... you are correct, it IS like loosing a family member, as we get older, we appreciate life more, we treasure the company, loosing it is more difficult, my wife and I put down our Sheppard last fall, it was one of the hardest decisions of my life, I took the ride to the vet alone, she couldn't bring herself to say good bye at the vets... we had him 9 years before his hips gave out... I can still see the reflection of that fuzzy little pup barking at his own reflection in the storm door, I'm having all the windows in the house replaced before I retire, that door will never get replaced... He will be the last we ever have..Neither one of us have the strength to go through that ever again.. I know exactly how you feel.
The Owl is a strong spirit animal… it was certainly a message from a higher place... possibly a thank you for a wonderful life .. God speed Hector.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 AM   #23
Nebe

Thanks Rockfish.

The pain is great but I think that the joys of a dog far outweigh the trauma of loosing one. We will get a new one eventually...
Old 04-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #24
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I am so sorry to hear you all lost Hector. He was such a kind soul of a pup.

In Hectors honor, I will give Boomer an extra piece of cheese tomorrow. I read something a few years back, one of the hardest things I ever read, about a guy give his faithful companion his last piece of cheese. So now, whenever friends of family, or even complete strangers, lose their dog, Boomer gets an extra piece of cheese in their honor.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:54 AM   #25
Dick Durand

Sorry about your loss, Eben. Our previous dog died due to a similar condition with a tumor and internal bleeding five years ago. I recollected most of our experiences and wrote a several page eulogy which I still cannot read without being emotionally overwhelmed Our new pup, a great friend, just turned 4 last week.
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #26
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I am so sorry to hear you all lost Hector. He was such a kind soul of a pup.

In Hectors honor, I will give Boomer an extra piece of cheese tomorrow. I read something a few years back, one of the hardest things I ever read, about a guy give his faithful companion his last piece of cheese. So now, whenever friends of family, or even complete strangers, lose their dog, Boomer gets an extra piece of cheese in their honor.
The night before Mr Hector said farewell I was hand feeding him salmon. He loved salmon. Cheese was also a favorite. His all time favorite though, when he was a Colorado Rocky Mountain free range dog was to patrol the neighborhood and lick the bottoms of everyone’s grills. He was a smart pup for sure.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #27
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^& Durand View Post
Sorry about your loss, Eben. Our previous dog died due to a similar condition with a tumor and internal bleeding five years ago. I recollected most of our experiences and wrote a several page eulogy which I still cannot read without being emotionally overwhelmed Our new pup, a great friend, just turned 4 last week.
They have a way of forming a bond that in inexplainable, don’t they? Unconditional love paired with the fact that you can’t talk to them only compounds the bond you form.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #28
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that Eben, they sure are like family and in some cases loved even more than.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote