Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Anyone else having a crab grass problem?

For the last week I have been pulling up crab grass and other weeks that is taking over my lawn I have 2 32 gallon trash barrels full and I haven't even made a dent, I used Scotts crab grass haults in the spring. Who else is having a problem?

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
gone fishin

ME

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

crab grass? hehe the WHOLE lawn.

my days of a scott's lawn are well OVER.

looks nice and green this year i should send Scott's a picture
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
Raven

Arrow try clover seed

clover improves a lawn...

it makes these tiny little root nodules
that take atmospheric nitrogen right out
of the air...like mini taters that eventually
break down adding nitrogen to the lawn.

the best fertilizer is your fall leaves ground up
with a mulching mower (to confetti size)
..never rake them
(
except when your about to mulch them all)
thats a huge mistake! let the worms eat them instead !

my healthiest patches of lawn is where i dump
the leftover (half eaten) cage bird seed....

my other rule...is
never mow the lawn unless its gonna rain.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
BassyiusMaximus

I've got a crabgrass invasion going on myself. I don't fertilize and I only cut the grass when it goes to seed, which is now, but I have heard that a healthy lawn is one that has a little bit of everything in it, not a homogenous/all one type of grass, like a golf course. I'll probably give it some fertilizer in the fall, like a winter feeding type and be done with it. My neighbors probably hate me but I just can't spend the $$$ on a lawn only to spend more to cut it, plus it doesn't look all that bad since I have lilies and all kinds of pretty plants and shrubs and trees to divert the eyes.
BassyiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I have the answer to crabgrass

Go to LESCO and buy a pint of Acclaim. It will cost you about $100.00. Expensive maybe but when you figure how much or how many bags of step 3, 15,000 sq. feet bags you might put down at $50.00 a bag Acclaim will be cheap by comparison. Once you get the acclaim put it on at a rate of 3/4 of an ounze to a gallon. OH BY THE WAY THE REASON IT COST WHAT IT DOES IS BECAUSE CRABGRASS IS THE ONLY THING IT KILLS. You can spray it on anything and it wont do anything to it. I guarantee that within a week of spraying on your crebgrass it will be brown and/or black. You can use 1 ounze to a gallon and it will die quicker but the pint wont last as long. All you have to do is walk up to plant with sprayer and wet the weed. I usually do a quick little circle around it to kill and seeds that have already come off the crabgrass and is preparing to sprout also. You may have more than one generation of crabgrass seed in the lawn so it might be prudent to be vigilant for two seasons with the acclaim. You can ask my brother Squid Kids Dad if my lawn has any crabgrass and he'll tell I don't. I will back what I say about this to my death thats how sure I am of this product. Don't spray on weed when wet in the morning. Wait until dew drys. Don't water the same day. Although after a couple of hours it doesn't matter but why waste the money you spend on the acclaim. I have a two gallon ace sprayer with acclaim mixed and ready to go next to my deck. I got this from a high end landscaper and its the best advice on lawn care i ever received.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Jenn

it it werent for the crabgrass I wouldnt HAVE a lawn!!!

but I dont dump all that crap (herbicides, pesticides, fertilizer) on it either. I would rather have crabgrass than a yard full of chemicals. ...its doesnt just "go away" its in the soil for a long time....

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
macojoe
Seal Control

Send a message via AIM to macojoe Send a message via Yahoo to macojoe
Hell if not for crab grass I have none at all!!

"All my friends are Flakes!!"

BOATLESS
macojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
Island Girl

Due to the unusual amount of rain that we have recieved this summer Crabgrass is becomeing a problem for alot of people..... I reccomend using a chemical called drive.....or you can use plain extra or daconate #6.... You can typically get them at your local seed store (not usually home depot or anything)
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
Grand Wave

I have had excellent results using a product called " Crossbow ". It will kill crabgrass along with other weeds but will not harm any real grass in your lawn. Available at most farm supply stores..
Grand Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #11
seabass
umm,the juicy sweets!!!!!

I love crabgrass, stays short, survives draughts, needs no fertilizer, what's the problem? less lawn time= more fish time.

Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #12
NIB

Slip has no crabgrass problem his lawn is fully covered with the stuff.

Folks,Fisherman especially should give some thought to the chemicals they spray on their lawns.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #13
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB
Slip has no crabgrass problem his lawn is fully covered with the stuff.

Folks,Fisherman especially should give some thought to the chemicals they spray on their lawns.
you are absolutely correct NIB, I have no problem with crabgrass at all, just like seabass said too. I love how it stays short and low to the ground I don't golf so I hate maintaining lawn. My brother golfs and he is a lawn nazi.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
MrHunters
What was that!?!

my landlord would not have it. nor will he have a leaf on his lawn...

i got a not the other day that my car was parked off center and would i please straighten it. yes...unfortunatly that is true.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #15
chris L

hey it will all die off soon enough . if it wasnt for the crusty crab Id be like spongebob !

most of my lawn is pea gravel , dogwoods and miscanthus (sp) and lobster pot bouys
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #16
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot
you are absolutely correct NIB, I have no problem with crabgrass at all, just like seabass said too. I love how it stays short and low to the ground I don't golf so I hate maintaining lawn. My brother golfs and he is a lawn nazi.

If I hadda cut grass i would put down plastic an cover it in rocks.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #17
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
Due to the unusual amount of rain that we have recieved this summer Crabgrass is becomeing a problem for alot of people..... I reccomend using a chemical called drive.....or you can use plain extra or daconate #6.... You can typically get them at your local seed store (not usually home depot or anything)
Good advice IG. I manage a private 18 hole golf club, and can attest that drive is a great product. The problem for anyone reading this is that any post emergent crabgrass product requires that you apply it evenly with some type of spray application device. This means that if you attempt to do the application yourself, you had better be experienced with the process and equipment needed, or you may find yourself with a dead lawn. Someone suggested acclaim, which is pricey and works only so-so on established crabgrass. It does, however, work well if you have only a few isolated spots of crabgrass. I would not attempt to use it on a lawn that is overrun with crabgrass. Acclaim is certain to damage your lawn if mishandled. Layman's tip: Let the frost kill off the crabgrass this fall, and make preventive applications to your lawn in the spring 30 days apart. Once around the third week in april, and again around the third week in may. You should also maintain an adequate fertility level as this will help your lawn fill in and compete against the crabgrass intrusion. This is your safest bet if you lack the expereince or do not want to hire a professional company to do it for you.

Last edited by Back Beach; 08-18-2006 at 09:17 AM..

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #18
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I think what happened is I put the Scotts Crab Grass Haults on right before we got about 6 inches of rain and we had all that flooding last spring, so it never had time to do it's job, I had some trees removed last year in the spring, and I was so busy fishing the herring run and rocks that I hired my friend to fix the lawn after the stumps were removed, little did I know is he relasped on heroin and took me for a ride,(that's another story) the loam he put down was loaded with seeds from every weed you could think of, and he never finished. so after I finished the job then pulled every weed up I got grass to grow in the fall. I guess it was just the seeds left over from last year.
Never ever let a friend or family do work on you house or land, It never works out.

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #19
zacs
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob
Never ever let a friend or family do work on you house or land, It never works out.
A'int that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #20
striperman36
Old Guy

I live in Mansfield MA, Where can I get Acclaim?
I have looked and the lesco site and can't get a store returned from the search.

Bill
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote