Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Ľ Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk Ľ Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #91
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 10,196
Even the Trumplicans tried to cancel ďpoorĒ Larry
ďShe went ballistic over what I said," Elder told Newsweek. "Never mind my body of work both in print and on radio where I expressed extreme skepticism about the fairness of the 2020 election. This is the kind of zero tolerance that induces people like me to not to want to go into politics."
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #92
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 7,307
Maybe Larry should take a page out of the terminators playbook and when interviewed after losing say don’t worry I’ll be back.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #93
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think seeking to undermine the election process with no evidence of fraud is one of the worst things you could do in this country.
so when a republican dares to run against a democrat, we now call that ďundermining the election processĒ?

I bet you didnít share those concerns when Scott Walker was recalled. Right? That recall gave you a big erection.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #94
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
so when a republican dares to run against a democrat, we now call that “undermining the election process”?


Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Was he only talking about running against the a democrat when he made that statement?
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #95
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Was he only talking about running against the a democrat when he made that statement?
All the libs everywhere are saying this was just a partisan hit job against the election process. Haven't heard anyone say what they mean. Did Elder forge signatures on the recall petition? He he get dead people to vote? Or did he have the chutzpah to challenge a very prominent democrat, one in charge of a state that's a hot mess, that people are fleeing from, that ordered his citizenry to stay home while he went out for lavish dinners, because he's superior to everyone else?

I saw none of this concern when Scott Walker was recalled, but that was a good thing, because he was a republican.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #96
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 10,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And the gaslighting starts with the same playbook as the leader of the Republicans
Before there are any results from the recall, Elderís campaign is promoting a petition ďdemanding a special session of the California legislature to investigate and ameliorate the twisted results of this 2021 Recall Election of Governor Gavin Newsom."
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Calling an election rigged before it even happens is the biggest possible ďtellĒ that you yourself are trying to game the system. I wonder how many examples we need before we learn that.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
What is this voter fraud Trump, Elder and others on the right speak of? Oh wait no evidence of it to date, unless of course your on the right and you need to say hey we won regardless of the rigged election results. This is their strategy moving forward, granted I see it actually blowing up in their face, but in their wacky world they think they can keep people from voting if they say itís rigged. The irony is I think that message is impacting more of Republican voters than the desired target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
so when a republican dares to run against a democrat, we now call that ďundermining the election processĒ?

I bet you didnít share those concerns when Scott Walker was recalled. Right? That recall gave you a big erection.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
No, it's when without evidence of any kind they call foul

Pretty odd visualization you have, sounds like wishful thinking to me

Frasier: Niles, Iíve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met ďpeopleĒ, havenít you?

Just because someone says they think you are deplorable doesn't mean you have to prove it.
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #97
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
No, it's when without evidence of any kind they call foul

Pretty odd visualization you have, sounds like wishful thinking to me
The Newsom camp called this thing a partisan hit job last week. What had elder done, to warrant that?

Is he saying there was cheating?

Pete i have full faith that Trump
legitimately got creamed, ok? Never said otherwise.

So can you tell me why itís ok to require an id to see your doctor, but not to vote?

If you put the words beat apolitical problem solvers in a room, and asked them the best ways to endure we ruin integrity, every single one of them would say voter id and voting in person if possible. I can only think of one possible reason why anyone would oppose this, they want it to be easier to cheat. Thereís no other possible reason.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #98
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
All the libs everywhere are saying this was just a partisan hit job against the election process. Haven't heard anyone say what they mean. Did Elder forge signatures on the recall petition? He he get dead people to vote? Or did he have the chutzpah to challenge a very prominent democrat, one in charge of a state that's a hot mess, that people are fleeing from, that ordered his citizenry to stay home while he went out for lavish dinners, because he's superior to everyone else?

I saw none of this concern when Scott Walker was recalled, but that was a good thing, because he was a republican.
In your anger I don't think you read the posts. Go back and reread them bc it looks like you didn't.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #99
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
In your anger I don't think you read the posts. Go back and reread them bc it looks like you didn't.
not angry, thanks.

youíre right i didnít read the whole thread. i kind of stopped when wdmso defended the white woman who wore a black monkey mask
and threw eggs at elder and shoved the elderly people he was walking with.

when i need lectures on character from the only person in the world who still calls people
retard ( and insists it was ok), iíll let you know, but thanks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #100
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
not angry, thanks.

youíre right i didnít read the whole thread. i kind of stopped when wdmso defended the white woman who wore a black monkey mask
and threw eggs at elder and shoved the elderly people he was walking with.

when i need lectures on character from the only person in the world who still calls people
retard ( and insists it was ok), iíll let you know, but thanks.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You know I did it because you claim Republicans are such great people yet they all got hard-ons when Trump made fun of the handicapped reporter.

It's funny how you ran away for months and now you're back spewing your anger yet you had the nerve to mock someone else because you thought that they had done that previously even though you were asked r a few times to leave them alone. You agreed to stop but did it again anyways. I guess you just can't help yourself.

Do you know notice how this forum turns into a #^&#^&#^&#^&show when you post?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #101
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 10,196
Too bad Gavin Newsom couldnít send the $276,000,000 bill for this recall election to the Republican Party.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #102
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,037
The number of signatures needed for recall and the format of the questions were stupid.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #103
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
All the libs everywhere are saying this was just a partisan hit job against the election process. Haven't heard anyone say what they mean. Did Elder forge signatures on the recall petition? He he get dead people to vote?
I'd say publishing baseless claims that the election was rigged is pretty blatant. Trump was right there with him.

Quote:
Or did he have the chutzpah to challenge a very prominent democrat, one in charge of a state that's a hot mess, that people are fleeing from, that ordered his citizenry to stay home while he went out for lavish dinners, because he's superior to everyone else?
You keep harping on your exodus theory and it's just a half baked talking point that isn't really true. 2020 was the first year the population didn't grow in 120 years. Much of the small drop that did occur was covid related.

The dinner thing was definitely a bad move. The recall might not have happened without the negative PR.

Quote:
I saw none of this concern when Scott Walker was recalled, but that was a good thing, because he was a republican.
The situations are completely different.
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:05 PM   #104
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The number of signatures needed for recall and the format of the questions were stupid.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
who determines the number of signatures needed for recall? iím guessing Larry Elder doesnít make that decision, obviously itís california law. the california state legislature, which Iíll bet is controlled by democrats, must write that law. but somehow this is all Larry Elders fault.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #105
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post


The situations are completely different.
right. you wanted one recall to work, so that was ok.

you didnít want the other recall to succeed, therefore it couldnít possibly be legitimate.

Flawless logic.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #106
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
who determines the number of signatures needed for recall? iím guessing Larry Elder doesnít make that decision, obviously itís california law. the california state legislature, which Iíll bet is controlled by democrats, must write that law. but somehow this is all Larry Elders fault.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I believe it's less than 15% of the people who voted in the last governor election.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #107
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I believe it's less than 15% of the people who voted in the last governor election.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Again, that's not Larry Elder's fault,. It's the legislature's fault. Which party controls the California state legislature?

I doubt the GOP is responsible for that recall threshold, which seems stupidly low. I don't like recalls at all, and I didn't like this one. That's what scheduled elections are for.

But if I was governor of a state where a mere 15% of the voters could trigger a recall, I hope I'd be smarter than telling my constituents they had to stay inside for a year while I went out and enjoyed fabulously lavish dinners with the swells. If you do everything you can to present yourself as a czar, you're going to have to deal with people not appreciating it.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #108
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

You keep harping on your exodus theory and it's just a half baked talking point that isn't really true. 2020 was the first year the population didn't grow in 120 years. Much of the small drop that did occur was covid related.

T.
The state of California lost a congressional seat for the first time ever after the 2020 census.

But it's just a partisan theory.

https://apnews.com/article/census-20...aecdc1cac3e97b
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #109
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 10,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

If you put the words beat apolitical problem solvers in a room, and asked them the best ways to endure we ruin integrity, every single one of them would say voter id and voting in person if possible. I can only think of one possible reason why anyone would oppose this, they want it to be easier to cheat. Thereís no other possible reason.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You certainly are enduring in your attempts to enable people who ruin integrity.

Itís interesting that you claim to be conservative yet want yet more laws to prevent voter fraud, which has been proven time after time to be statistically insignificant and has not been shown by any evidence to have affected any election in this country.

One could question if what is happening here is Consciousness of Guilt on your part.

It is important to protect the integrity of our elections. But we must be careful not to undermine free and fair access to the ballot in the name of preventing phantom voter fraud.

Politicians at all levels of government have repeatedly, and falsely, claimed the 2016, 2018, and 2020 elections were marred by large numbers of people voting illegally. However, extensive research reveals that fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is virtually nonexistent, and many instances of alleged fraud are, in fact, mistakes by voters or administrators. The same is true for mail ballots, which are secure and essential to holding a safe election amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Brennan Centerís seminal report The Truth About Voter Fraud conclusively demonstrated that most allegations of fraud turn out to be baseless and that most of the few remaining allegations reveal irregularities and other forms of election misconduct. Numerous other studies, including one commissioned by the Trump administration, have reached the same conclusion.

Voter fraud is unacceptable, but we must find solutions that address actual problems instead of imposing policies that make it harder for millions of eligible Americans to participate in our democracy.

But enabling more Americans to be voters is not your goal.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frasier: Niles, Iíve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met ďpeopleĒ, havenít you?

Just because someone says they think you are deplorable doesn't mean you have to prove it.
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #110
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Again, that's not Larry Elder's fault,. It's the legislature's fault. Which party controls the California state legislature?

I doubt the GOP is responsible for that recall threshold, which seems stupidly low. I don't like recalls at all, and I didn't like this one. That's what scheduled elections are for.

But if I was governor of a state where a mere 15% of the voters could trigger a recall, I hope I'd be smarter than telling my constituents they had to stay inside for a year while I went out and enjoyed fabulously lavish dinners with the swells. If you do everything you can to present yourself as a czar, you're going to have to deal with people not appreciating it.
It's actually 12%. Wisc. is 25%. Not Elders fault. Just too low.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #111
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The state of California lost a congressional seat for the first time ever after the 2020 census.

But it's just a partisan theory.

https://apnews.com/article/census-20...aecdc1cac3e97b
Big deal, it's a blip and mostly due to covid.
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #112
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,037
Calif. has housing problems. The people moving out make less than the people moving in. There is no room to add housing stock in SF which keeps housing costs high.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #113
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Calif. has housing problems. The people moving out make less than the people moving in. There is no room to add housing stock in SF which keeps housing costs high.
you left out a few things, which iím sure had nothing to do with politics. , it has crime, homelessness, san francisco which basically consists of tech millionaires and everyone else shooting up and pooping in the street, and it has very very high taxes. people are concluding the cost isnít worth it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #114
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Big deal, it's a blip and mostly due to covid.
the states these people are moving to, donít have covid? which states are those?

you crack me up.

ďthe pathology of ideological
possessionĒ- when you donít merely agree with an ideology, but rather you are slaves by it, and thereís nothing you wonít say to defend it, no matter how stupid.

itís because of covid. the AP says it started in 2017, so those people
had a covid crystal ball i guess!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #115
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Calif. has housing problems. The people moving out make less than the people moving in. There is no room to add housing stock in SF which keeps housing costs high.
well spence said it wasnít happening. then confronted with an AP article saying it was happening, immediately blamed it on covid. because the people fleeing California, found a state to move to, where covid doesnít exist.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #116
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
well spence said it wasnít happening. then confronted with an AP article saying it was happening, immediately blamed it on covid. because the people fleeing California, found a state to move to, where covid doesnít exist.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
California has a massive population and about 25% of the population lost was due to Covid deaths. People haven't been able to move to CA because of Covid and immigration is way down because of Covid. Sure, some leave because of the high cost of living but it's not the main factor.
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:58 PM   #117
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
California has a massive population and about 25% of the population lost was due to Covid deaths. People haven't been able to move to CA because of Covid and immigration is way down because of Covid. Sure, some leave because of the high cost of living but it's not the main factor.
Well if every state lost the same % of people, thereís be no loss of a congressional seat.

So youíre saying that the population drop is because CA has a meaningfully higher death rate than other states. But that isnít a reflection of the job that the governor is doing.

Better and better.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #118
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
you left out a few things, which iím sure had nothing to do with politics. , it has crime, homelessness, san francisco which basically consists of tech millionaires and everyone else shooting up and pooping in the street, and it has very very high taxes. people are concluding the cost isnít worth it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The people moving don't State their moving because of crime or a few people pooping in San Francisco. The ones moving are lower educated poorer folks who can't afford California. The people moving into California make more money an are more highly educated. Lower immigration from other countries has her California also.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #119
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
People haven't been able to move to CA because of Covid .
But the AP said the trend started i. 2017. Covid was a big deal in CA in 2017, then?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #120
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
It’s interesting that you claim to be conservative yet want yet more laws to prevent voter fraud, which has been proven time after time to be statistically insignificant and has not been shown by any evidence to have affected any election in this country.

However, extensive research reveals that fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is virtually nonexistent, and many instances of alleged fraud are, in fact, mistakes by voters or administrators. The same is true for mail ballots, which are secure and essential to holding a safe election amid the coronavirus pandemic.
What you say is not true. There have been many instances of voter fraud in the U.S. And some elections were overturned because the fraud was detected. And in close elections, even small amounts of fraud can affect the outcome:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...it/ar-BB1fp9TP

https://www.heritage.org/election-in...ns/voter-fraud

Last edited by detbuch; 09-15-2021 at 04:13 PM..
detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com