Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 07-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Private businesses are already requiring proof of vaccination for entry, restaurants in Boston, NYC and others.
They have the right to do that, just like no shirt no shoes no service.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #32
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
What if PPP loan forgiveness were to get tied to proof of vaccination?....for all employees as well. I hear that could be put on the table.
Life insurers charge a premium for people who smoke. Maybe health insurers should do the same for people who won't get the vaccine (unless legitimate reasons) or deny all covid related claims.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #33
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Serious question, what are legitimate reasons?
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #34
PaulS

same reason life insurers charge more for smokers.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #35
Pete F.
Canceled

Well, according to Yale who I believe is requireing vaccinations

Information for Special Populations and the COVID-19 vaccine
COVID-19 can cause severe medical complications and lead to death in some people and vaccination can help protect you and others around you from COVID-19. In certain circumstances, people may be advised by their doctor to receive a specific type of COVID-19 vaccine or to delay vaccination due to immunosuppressing medical treatment or surgery to a future date when immunization is more likely to have an effective immune response. Pregnant and lactating people are encouraged to speak with a healthcare provider about COVID-19 vaccine should they have questions.

Can people with allergies get the COVID-19 vaccine? Yes, in most cases with 2 exceptions:

People with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any component of either an mRNA vaccine or the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine should NOT receive that vaccine. Many people will be safely able to receive an alternate vaccine. An allergic reaction is considered severe when it is classified by a healthcare provider as an anaphylactic reaction or a person needs to be treated with epinephrine or EpiPen© or if the person must go to the hospital.
If You Are Allergic to Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) or Polysorbate

PEG and polysorbate are closely related to each other. PEG is an ingredient in the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna), and polysorbate is an ingredient in the Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen vaccine. If you are allergic to PEG, you should not get an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine. Ask your doctor if you can get the J&J/Janssen vaccine.
If you are allergic to polysorbate, you should not get the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine. Ask your doctor if you can get an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.
2. People with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any vaccine or injectable (intramuscular or intravenous) medication should consult with their health provider to assess risk prior to receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.

More information about allergies and the COVID-19 vaccines can be found on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. The medical exemption request forms must be accessed on the Yale Vaccine Portal, then uploaded once completed prior to being submitted to the university’s COVID-19 Vaccine Medical Exemption Review Committee. Learn more about the exemption request process here.

Everyone else with severe allergic reactions to foods, oral medications, latex, pets, insects, and environmental triggers can get vaccinated against COVID-19.

People with severe allergies require a 30-minute observation period after vaccination, while all others must be observed for 15 minutes. Vaccine clinics have safety protocols in place to respond to any adverse reactions.

If I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you can receive a COVID-19 vaccine. Based on how these vaccines work in the body, experts believe they are unlikely to pose a risk for these groups. Pregnant people are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 and may be at risk for adverse pregnancy outcomes. There is limited but growing information on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in pregnant people. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that the COVID-19 vaccine should not be withheld from pregnant or breastfeeding individuals.

COVID-19 vaccines have been studied in animals both before and during pregnancy and found no safety concerns. Pregnant individuals were included in clinical trials and thousands more have been vaccinated since the vaccines became available. Early data from safety monitoring systems did not identify any safety concerns for pregnant people who were vaccinated or for their babies. The CDC is continuing to collect data on vaccinated pregnant people through the v-safe COVID-19 Pregnancy Registry.

There are no data on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in breastfeeding people or on the effects of mRNA vaccines on the breastfed infant or on milk production/excretion at this time. However, mRNA vaccines are not thought to be a risk to the breastfeeding infant. There is evidence of robust secretion of protective antibodies in the breastmilk of people vaccinated with mRNA COVID-19 vaccines suggesting a potential protective effect for the breastfed infant.

If you are pregnant or breastfeeding you may wish to discuss the benefits and risks of the vaccine balanced with the risks of COVID-19 infection with your healthcare provider. While a conversation with your healthcare provider may be helpful, it is not required prior to vaccination.

We encourage pregnant and breastfeeding people to discuss COVID-19 vaccination with their health care provider prior to requesting medical exemption. The medical exemption request forms must be accessed on the Yale Vaccine Portal, then uploaded once completed prior to being submitted to the university’s COVID-19 Vaccine Medical Exemption Review Committee. Medical exemption for pregnancy, planning pregnancy or breastfeeding will be granted on a temporary basis and is subject to reassessment. Learn more about the exemption request process here.

Is the vaccine as effective in people with suppressed immune systems? Specific efficacy and safety data are not yet available for people with immunosuppression (weakened immune system) due to medications or chronic illness. People who are immunocompromised are recommended to be vaccinated in most cases as they are at higher risk for severe complications from COVD-19 infection. Those who are vaccinated should be counseled on the potential for reduced immune responses and the need to continue to follow all current guidance to protect themselves against COVID-19. If you are immunocompromised you and your doctor can decide together by weighing the benefits and risks. If you and your health care provider feel that it is appropriate to pursue a request for medical exemption, you must access and submit the form on the Yale Vaccine Portal once completed. Medical exemptions may be granted on a temporary basis and are subject to reassessment. Learn more about the exemption request process here.

Should people with autoimmune diseases receive COVID-19 vaccine?

People with autoimmune conditions are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 infection and vaccination is recommended in most cases. If you have an autoimmune disease, consult with your healthcare provider to discuss the risks and benefits of vaccination. If you and your health care provider feel that it is appropriate to pursue a request for medical exemption, you must access and submit the form on the Yale Vaccine Portal. Medical exemptions may be granted on a temporary basis and are subject to reassessment.

Can children get the COVID-19 vaccine? The Pfizer mRNA vaccine is currently authorized for people 12 years and older. The Moderna mRNA vaccine and J&J vaccine are currently authorized for people 18 years and older. Learn more about COVID-19 vaccination for children here.

Should I get the COVID-19 vaccine even if I’ve already had COVID-19?

Yes. The extent to which antibodies that develop in response to COVID-19 infection are protective is still under study. If these antibodies are protective, it’s not known what antibody levels are needed to protect against reinfection. Therefore, even those who previously had COVID-19 can and should receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

I was recently diagnosed with COVID-19 can I receive the vaccine?

Yes, for Dose #1 you can be vaccinated four weeks after onset of symptoms or a positive test (whichever is earlier). For Dose #2 you may be vaccinated after you have completed your isolation period. Isolation is for 10 days or 10 days plus 24 hours with no fever and an improvement in symptoms.

Updated June 19, 2021.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 07-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #36
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Bruce, you and I go way back, but you're sounding more and more like someone I no longer know. It saddens me. Seriously.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #37
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Bruce, you and I go way back, but you're sounding more and more like someone I no longer know. It saddens me. Seriously.
Maybe Bruce can help out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E401C3A4-E719-4E40-B4B7-F7D9A0FFD696.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	68250  
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #38
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Serious question, what are legitimate reasons?
Sorry I didn't ask answer your question. I was thinking of people who won't take it because of religious reasons. I also thought there was some issue with some immunocompromised people and or possibly transplants but I really have not read up on that.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #39
BPerk

People are not going to change. We can only take care of ourselves & not take the simple things for granted. enjoy life the best you can. In the beginning of the virus my Facility lost 18 residents & 1 Nurse. I blame the Media for not emphasizing how quickly this virus works in a 24 hr period.... people alert, up & walking @ Breakfast, can't catch their breath at Lunchtime , sent out to the Hospital only to be gone 24-48 hrs. .... they were all admitted with 'Pneumonia' but tests proved Covid. Those that survived now have in their Medical History .....Covid 19. This is now considered a ' pre existing ' condition. Interesting to see how it will affect future medical claims. Insurance co. will say it won't matter but read the fine print.
BPerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:04 AM   #40
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

To use a classic line from Star Trek which certainly applies to this pandemic. Spock says, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” Captain Kirk answers, “Or the one.”
Old 08-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #41
PaulS

Some people make it hard to have sympathy for them:

A GOP official from Texas who regularly espoused anti-vaccine and anti-mask views online has died from COVID-19, five days after posting a meme on Facebook questioning the wisdom of getting inoculated against COVID.

#^&#^&#^&#^&inson City Council member and Galveston County Republican Party chair H. Scott Apley, 45, died in a local hospital around 3 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to a GoFundMe page set up to help Apley’s family with expenses. He was admitted to the facility in Galveston on Sunday with “pneumonia-like symptoms,” and was hooked up to a ventilator as his condition worsened. His wife was also infected, the family said.

“He leaves behind his wife, Melissa, who is COVID positive, as well as their infant son Reid,” according to the fundraiser, which has so far raised almost $15,000 of its $30,000 goal. “Your donations are greatly appreciated and will help the family as they get through this difficult period.”

“My heart is beyond broken for his family,” #^&#^&#^&#^&inson Mayor Sean Skipworth wrote in a Facebook post. “Scott was a new father and that makes this loss especially tragic.”

Texas Republican Party Chairman Matt Rinaldi said in a statement, “Please join me in lifting the Apley family up in prayer. We will miss Scott deeply but find comfort knowing he is at peace in the arms of our Savior.” The announcement did not mention the fact that Apley’s death was COVID-related.

Apley is a staunch conservative and devout Christian. But based on his social media activity, Apley didn’t believe COVID was going to affect him or his family.

In May, Apley posted an invitation for a “mask burning” being held at a bar in Cincinnati, commenting, “I wish I lived in the area!” A couple of weeks earlier, he posted a news article about giveaways and incentives meant to encourage people to get vaccinated, writing, “Disgusting.” Apley also railed against so-called vaccine passports, which restrict high-risk activities, such as indoor dining, to the fully vaccinated. Recently, he suggested that mask mandates in Germany were akin to Nazism.

In one of numerous Facebook posts on the subject, Apley wrote, “Question: If businesses start allowing customers and employees go mask free only with VOLUNTARILY providing their vaccination record (presumably not a HIPPA [sic] violation), wouldn't that basically INVOLUNTARILY identify people who have chosen not to get vaccinated (Which might be indirectly creating a HIPPA [sic] violation)?”

HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, and prohibits healthcare providers from improperly divulging a person’s private medical information without their consent. It does not apply to private businesses—a bartender asking if a customer is vaccinated, for example, does not constitute a HIPAA violation.

On July 30, less than a week before his death, Apley reposted a meme on his Facebook page that said: “In 6 months, we’ve gone from the vax ending the pandemic—to you can still get covid even if vaxxed—to you can pass covid onto others even if vaxxed—to you can still die of covid even if vaxxed—to the unvaxxed are killing the vaxxed.”In an interview Wednesday with the Galveston County Daily News, Mayor Sean Skipworth said he didn’t know if Apley had been vaccinated against COVID.

Apley’s untimely passing comes as COVID skeptics across the country have died or become extraordinarily sick after rejecting the constant calls by public health officials to get vaccinated and mask up. In Nashville, a right-wing radio host who repeatedly spread misinformation about the virus and mocked the vaccine, is now hospitalized as he fights for his life. A Brooklyn woman who called COVID a “fraud” died after rejecting the vaccine in favor of natural supplements like zinc and Vitamin D.

The family of a Florida woman who refused the COVID vaccine and died in June still refuses to get the jab. A Florida track coach who had resisted calls by friends and colleagues to get vaccinated finally agreed to make an appointment for his shots. However, he contracted COVID a day or two before getting his first dose and died in the hospital after slipping into a coma, leaving behind a wife and four children.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:19 AM   #42
Clammer

yA CAN,T teach or cure [stupid]

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #43
Pete F.
Canceled

There might be a little hope.

Over the last 24 hours, the US saw the highest number of daily Covid-19 shots administered since July 3, with 864,000 vaccinations administered.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #44
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
yA CAN,T teach or cure [stupid]
You are so right Mike.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #45
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Natural selection tends to cull the stupid from the herd, our problem is that process takes time.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #46
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

On and on we go, masks going back on and the fall right around the corner. The longer this goes on with this large a percentage of the country unvaccinated, the more likely yet another and possibly more deadly variant develops. I’m thinking this is now coming down to anti-vaccine anything crowd, rural southern state communities with fear or less access, the young I’m invincible crowd and of course the it’s my choice don’t tell me what to do crowd. Basically the uneducated or the stupid to boil it down. The irony is EVERYONE is sick of it and I think the majority of the country (with a brain) know the key to stopping this is to get the majority of the country vaccinated. I am so glad I’m retired I feel for those still working and especially folks who rely on customers coming into their shops, bars or restaurants.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #47
Guppy
User

Sucks
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #48
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

The vaccine is a GIFT! Never did I think in my wildest dreams back in March, April, and May, that we would be concerned with people not getting vaccinated.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #49
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
The vaccine is a GIFT! Never did I think in my wildest dreams back in March, April, and May, that we would be concerned with people not getting vaccinated.....
George Carlin would have to remind you that half of the people in this world are dumber than you and the other half are even dumber.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:56 AM   #50
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Darwinism at work. Survival
Of the fittest ….
actually "the fittest" do pretty well with Covid...it's the unfit...fat and suffering from another of many self-induced health issues that experience bad outcomes from Covid exposure...maybe we should be lecturing the unfit to get their $h1t together
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #51
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Natural selection tends to cull the stupid from the herd, our problem is that process takes time.
Covid has culled the unhealthy from the herd...is that natural selection?

we know that if you are healthy and maintain a healthy immune system your unlikely to die from covid....

if you overeat, pound sugar, saturated fats, carbs, alcohol, tobacco etc.....you are probably going to be overweight and have heart disease or high blood pressure or hypertension or liver disease or lung disease etc...which according to the statistics is prevalent in a ridiculous percentage of Americans and which pretty much guarantees a bad outcome if you get covid

how many Americans spent the covid months binge watching-eating-drinking-smoking etc? According to the study I saw America got fatter and less healthy during those months....probably sitting around waiting for a shot to cure everything so they could continue on with an unhealthy lifestyle
Old 08-13-2021, 06:06 AM   #52
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
same reason life insurers charge more for smokers.
maybe we should fine or jail people who won't get vaccinated and double if they smoke(wait, that doesn't include pot right?)
Old 08-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #53
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Covid has culled the unhealthy from the herd...is that natural selection?

we know that if you are healthy and maintain a healthy immune system your unlikely to die from covid....

if you overeat, pound sugar, saturated fats, carbs, alcohol, tobacco etc.....you are probably going to be overweight and have heart disease or high blood pressure or hypertension or liver disease or lung disease etc...which according to the statistics is prevalent in a ridiculous percentage of Americans and which pretty much guarantees a bad outcome if you get covid

how many Americans spent the covid months binge watching-eating-drinking-smoking etc? According to the study I saw America got fatter and less healthy during those months....probably sitting around waiting for a shot to cure everything so they could continue on with an unhealthy lifestyle
And what Scott there are no defiant don’t force me to mask or vaccine people spreading it to the elderly and people with underlying health issues? You I think would fit it well in FL and you constantly bitch about CT, maybe it’s time for a move.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #54
Pete F.
Canceled

People in Texas and other states with low vaccination rates seem to be having different results with healthy and younger people dealing with Covid.

Covid cases in the Lone Star State have exploded in the last few weeks. Texas is averaging about 15,419 new cases per day, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University as of Wednesday, up 34% from a week ago and more than double the seven-day average of 6,762 just two weeks ago.

“What’s concerning about the trajectory is that we’re seeing a much more rapid increase in the number of cases,” said Dr. Trish Perl, chief of infectious diseases at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

“We are seeing unvaccinated people that are younger as opposed to earlier in the pandemic when we saw a lot of hospitalizations over 65. Now, the largest and the highest increases that we’re seeing are the 18-to-49-year-olds, and a lot of these people don’t have underlying illnesses.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #55
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

and you constantly bitch about CT, maybe it’s time for a move.
pretty sure I have never bitched about Connecticut...I live in RI
Old 08-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #56
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
People in Texas and other states with low vaccination rates seem to be having different results with healthy and younger people dealing with Covid.

Covid cases in the Lone Star State have exploded in the last few weeks.
Rhode Island 69% vaccinated

August 12 ,2020 93 cases

August 12, 2021 364 cases

I blame Texas....
Old 08-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #57
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Rhode Island 69% vaccinated

August 12 ,2020 93 cases

August 12, 2021 364 cases

I blame Texas....
You always can obfuscate and throw smoke

“We are seeing unvaccinated people that are younger as opposed to earlier in the pandemic when we saw a lot of hospitalizations over 65. Now, the largest and the highest increases that we’re seeing are the 18-to-49-year-olds, and a lot of these people don’t have underlying illnesses.”

There is a significant correlation between low vaccination rates and hospitalizations/deaths and the current anecdotal evidence is that is happening to younger and healthier people.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #58
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

the current anecdotal evidence is that is happening to younger and healthier people.
on our local news this morning they reported that there is a significant amount of covid being found in deer in Pennsylvania...not sure if they are vaccinated or unvaccinated
Old 08-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #59
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Meanwhile our borders are wide open with illegals flooding into the country with the virus 🤔
Was reported 40% of them have it but you won’t hear about that in the media
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #60
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Meanwhile our borders are wide open with illegals flooding into the country with the virus 🤔
Was reported 40% of them have it but you won’t hear about that in the media
Health experts refute the far right wing claim immigration policy is fueling the rise in covid, its Delta, no shock you would be tuned into the far right.