Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-24-2021, 05:39 AM   #61
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

definitely a huge success...biden should get a nobel prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

You might be correct for once

^^^^^HALL of FAME material
Old 08-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #62
Pete F.
Canceled

New: Roughly 21,600 people were evacuated from Kabul between 3 AM EDT on 8/23 and 3 AM EDT this morning.

Since 8/14, we've gotten approx. 58,700 people out. 63,900 people since the end of July.
Meanwhile
A huge contradiction has emerged in GOP criticism of Afghan evacuation:

Part of the party attacks Biden for hopelessly botching it and failing to rescue Afghans who helped US.

Another part of the party (and some of the same people) don't want to let more Afghans in the US.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #63
wdmso

The MAGA world and the GOPQ have taken the all or nothing approach to Afghanistan.. How many people American gets out is not a concern of Theirs and honestly some on the left .. they have this unrealistic expectation that some how we the USA are going to remove anyone who worked with the US in the past 20 years and All Americans…. Yet nobody knows who these people are and many Americans who never registered with the embassy…. But regardless of the numbers saved Republicans will label this a failure they will move the goal post to Another emotion complaint ! and they have . Now theAfghans who they cried we’re being left to die are now to dangerous to come to America

prominent conservatives are warning that these desperate people asking for our help are actually a dire threat to America.

Steven Miller. Tweet. It is becoming increasingly clear that Biden & his radical deputies will use their catastrophic debacle in Afghanistan as a pretext for doing to America what Angela Merkel did to Germany & Europe.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the U.S. owes it to its friends in Afghanistan to help get them out and resettle them elsewhere.

so I will ask a simple question what from on withdrawal would have been acceptable? What does that look like ?

This withdrawal looks like a horrible and ugly to watch, but it looks like our Military and state department are doing a great job getting people out.. yet the Right refuses to support them and the POTUS and the Nation! To get this done

They would rather complain about masks or but promote ivermectin like Ingram Hannity and Tucker amazing
Old 08-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #64
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

The MAGA world

is that still a thing?
Old 08-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #65
scottw

Quote:

GOP criticism

I bet if trump was still president and this exact thing happened you and your friends would be wanting him nominated for a nobel prize
Old 08-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #66
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I bet if trump was still president and this exact thing happened you and your friends would be wanting him nominated for a nobel prize
What happened is the result of the lying and incompetence of the former administration, the Stable Genius was no more capable of accomplishing a withdrawal from Afghanistan than he was of passing infrastructure legislation, negotiating with anyone or telling the truth.

The Trump administrations Doha Agreement with the Taliban violated the most basic principles of self-government for the Afghan people. There was no way to enforce it or make sure the Taliban kept its word. There was no denunciation of al-Qaeda terrorists. Worst of all, the deal didn't mandate the Taliban stop attacks against Afghan security forces.

All of this set the stage for the chaotic scenes we're seeing on TV today.

Trump's deal with the Taliban was flawed from the start, which is why Trump's own officials are now scrambling to distance themselves from it. "To have our Generals say that they are depending on diplomacy with the Taliban is an unbelievable scenario. Negotiating with the Taliban is like dealing with the devil," tweeted Trump's ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, who certainly voiced no such objections while working for Trump. She was not alone. "Our secretary of state signed a surrender agreement with the Taliban," Trump's former national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, told journalist Bari Weiss. "This collapse goes back to the capitulation agreement of 2020. The Taliban didn't defeat us. We defeated ourselves."

Even Mike Pompeo, Trump's Secretary of State and the man who negotiated the deal with the Taliban in the first place, is now denouncing it. He had the audacity to tell Fox News that the "debacle" in Afghanistan "will certainly harm America's credibility with its friends and allies." He certainly didn't seem to think so while he was laying the groundwork for the debacle in the first place.

"We're letting the Taliban run free and wild all around Afghanistan," complained Pompeo, the man who cut the deal to release the Taliban's leader from prison in the first place. Trump ordered the release of 5,000 of the top captured Taliban fighters last year—a decision his own designated "peace envoy" Zalmay Khaliizad said publicly had disturbed him. Those same fighters are now threatening the streets of Kabul.

Republican outrage was also completely absent in the first 45 days of Donald Trump's agreement, when there were over 4,500 Taliban attacks resulting in over 900 Afghan casualties. Where was the Republican outrage about the Afghan army then, when their President handed over Afghanistan to the Taliban? Nonexistent.

They saved their denunciations for Biden's efforts to clean up Trump's mess—efforts which have as yet cost many fewer lives.

But this hypocrisy is not limited to former Trump officials. Take House Republican firebrand Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH), for example, who only tweeted once in 2014 about losing an American general in combat in Afghanistan, until discovering it as a partisan issue this summer. Now that he can blame Biden for Trump's mess, he hasn't stopped tweeting about it.

Jordan is one of many Republicans hypocritically denouncing a Biden withdrawal that they championed under Trump. The Republican Party used to brag about Trump's "historic" peace deal in Afghanistan. Now, they went so far as to delete that press release to pave the way for a new, partisan attack on President Biden over the end results of that very agreement.

Twitter is awash in angry Republicans outraged about our allies in Afghanistan who we should have evacuated before we left. And yet, it is Trump—and his advisor Stephen Miller—who are the reason so many Afghan interpreters are stuck in Afghanistan due to stalled special immigrant visa application infrastructure. Former Vice President Mike Pence advisor Olivia Troye wrote on Twitter that folks like Trump and Miller made it "even more challenging" to get allies out, overriding the concerns of others in the administration. "There were cabinet meetings about this during the Trump Admin where Stephen Miller would peddle his racist hysteria about Iraq & Afghanistan," Troye wrote. "He & his enablers across gov't would undermine anyone who worked on solving the SIV issue by devastating the system at DHS & State."

In fact, at the end of last year, the Trump administration had nearly 11,000 visas authorized by Congress for Afghans who helped America during the last 20 years—but only gave out 1,300 while most of the withdrawal took place.

So whose fault is it that so many of those who helped us are stuck in Afghanistan? The burden of that responsibility falls squarely on Trump's shoulders. And it is Biden who is working diligently to get them out.

And it was Trump who bragged just this April that the process of moving the U.S. military out of Afghanistan had progressed to a point that even if President Biden wanted to, he "couldn't stop the process." Trump was right: There was nothing Biden could do to stop what was coming in Afghanistan short of another massive U.S. military deployment. According to the text of the February 29, 2020 agreement Trump signed with the Taliban, within 135 days, America would withdraw from five major bases and agreed to complete the rest of its major withdrawals within nine months. In other words, the Trump administration agreed to pull out of Afghanistan long before Biden's inauguration, which it mostly accomplished.

You can read it yourself

https://www.state.gov/wp-content/upl...n-02.29.20.pdf

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #67
scottw

lengthy posts with links to more lengthy stuff should be forbidden...
Old 08-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #68
Pete F.
Canceled

The link to more lengthy stuff is to the Stable Genius’ brilliantly negotiated agreement.
His administration’s explanation is, they weren’t going to go through with that, they were just going to break it
Trustworthy guys
Old 08-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #69
scottw

Quote:
The link to more lengthy stuff is to the Stable Genius’ brilliantly negotiated agreement.
His administration’s explanation is, they weren’t going to go through with that, they were just going to break it
Trustworthy guys
so is it trumps fault that it's such a disaster or biden's credit that it's such a success?
Old 08-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #70
wdmso

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-58071592

Good read
Old 08-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #71
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
so is it trumps fault that it's such a disaster or biden's credit that it's such a success?
I don’t remember Donald Trump flying one Kurd to safety. He let Turkey slaughter them. They were our allies that served side by side with our troops.

Where was the outrage from you and the Fox Russian Propaganda Machine???

Biden has safely evacuated over 79,000 Afghans.

Trump had the administrative authority to issue nearly 11,000 visas authorized by Congress for Afghans who helped America during the last 20 years—but only gave out 1,300 while most of the withdrawal took place.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #72
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If Trump were in office and he had his way, I suspect he would prefer to pull only US citizens out, maybe some of the Afghan helping us for years. Everyone else he views, as evidenced by rhetoric and policy moves, to be potential terrorists. I think it’s amazing how many people have been successfully evacuated, Trump would I believe make a big fat mess of it due to his belief he is smarter than ALL his advisers civilian or military.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #73
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-58071592

Good read
BUT THEY'RE NOT EVEN AMERICAN!!!!
Old 08-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #74
scottw

Quote:
I don’t remember Donald Trump flying one Kurd to safety. He let Turkey slaughter them. They were our allies that served side by side with our troops.

Trump had the administrative authority to issue nearly 11,000 visas authorized by Congress for Afghans who helped America during the last 20 years—but only gave out 1,300 while most of the withdrawal took place.

so it's trumps fault....
Old 08-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #75
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If Trump were in office and he had his way, I suspect he would prefer to pull only US citizens out, maybe some of the Afghan helping us for years. Everyone else he views, as evidenced by rhetoric and policy moves, to be potential terrorists. I think it’s amazing how many people have been successfully evacuated, Trump would I believe make a big fat mess of it due to his belief he is smarter than ALL his advisers civilian or military.
this is a shocking prediction......
Old 08-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #76
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
this is a shocking prediction......
Easy when behavior is so predictable, sort of like expecting a snarky post from you on almost every thread.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #77
scottw

you'd think with the constant cheerleading from the media for this clown...his numbers would be a little better...

Sixty-eight percent of Americans and 55 percent of Democrats believe that the Biden administration’s evacuation of U.S. troops, civilians, and allies from Afghanistan has been handled “badly” according to a new YouGov poll.

Seventy-five percent of veterans, 76 percent of independents, and 84 percent of Republicans concur with the majority of Democrats and supermajority of Americans who disapprove of way the U.S. has withdrawn after nearly 20 years of military involvement there. A mere 16 percent of Americans would go so far as to say that it has been executed “very or somewhat well.”

I bet none of these people are even vaccinated....
Old 08-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #78
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Quote:
you'd think with the constant cheerleading from the media for this clown...his numbers would be a little better...

Sixty-eight percent of Americans and 55 percent of Democrats believe that the Biden administration’s evacuation of U.S. troops, civilians, and allies from Afghanistan has been handled “badly” according to a new YouGov poll.

Seventy-five percent of veterans, 76 percent of independents, and 84 percent of Republicans concur with the majority of Democrats and supermajority of Americans who disapprove of way the U.S. has withdrawn after nearly 20 years of military involvement there. A mere 16 percent of Americans would go so far as to say that it has been executed “very or somewhat well.”

I bet none of these people are even vaccinated....
Your guy makes a mess, draws down troops rapidly, releases taliban founder and prisoners, stops issuing visas, meets with the Taliban without the Afghan government, agrees to an aggressive withdrawal timeline. And when the next guy can’t clean his mess up quick enough you’re going to blame him, not the guy who made the mess.

Now ten Americans are dead.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-26-2021, 02:00 PM   #79
scottw

that poll was taken before today's festivities
Old 08-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #80
scottw

Quote:

it awful..God bless them...

definitely Trump's fault...maybe even Bush's fault
Old 08-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #81
detbuch

Quote:
Your guy makes a mess, draws down troops rapidly, releases taliban founder and prisoners, stops issuing visas, meets with the Taliban without the Afghan government, agrees to an aggressive withdrawal timeline. And when the next guy can’t clean his mess up quick enough you’re going to blame him, not the guy who made the mess.

Whoa . . . the guy who made the mess!!?? The mess started 20 years ago by several other "guys," and it was a lot messier along the way. Baradar wasn't the only Taliban leader who was released by negotiations with the Taliban. Remember Obama traded the release of 5 Taliban leaders (now instrumental in the Taliban takeover) for the release of American deserter Bowe Bergdahl? https://nypost.com/2021/08/16/taliba...swap-by-obama/

Hasn't Biden been negotiating with the Taliban as well? Not sure if all the reporting of Trump's deals with the Taliban are accurately portrayed, but, if so, Trump may have proposed the mess. But Biden has implemented it. So where do we go from here?
Old 08-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #82
Pete F.
Canceled

Pulling out of a two decade long imperial fantasy that achieved little more than mass casualties — and deciding to eat the political costs that accompany the complicated maneuver — is the precise opposite of political rhetoric.

There was a magical way for the US to leave that didn’t cause the Afghan army and govt to collapse. Trump had that plan. He kept it hidden with his taxes, infrastructure and healthcare plans along with his National Debt reduction dream.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-26-2021, 05:08 PM   #83
detbuch

Quote:
Pulling out of a two decade long imperial fantasy that achieved little more than mass casualties — and deciding to eat the political costs that accompany the complicated maneuver — is the precise opposite of political rhetoric.

There was a magical way for the US to leave that didn’t cause the Afghan army and govt to collapse. Trump had that plan. He kept it hidden with his taxes, infrastructure and healthcare plans along with his National Debt reduction dream.
Beautiful reverie. Biden--the emergence of a statesman. Wasn't he part of that long train of events and decisions that created the mess. And now he is finally willing to "eat the political costs". Wonder what those costs will be. Will he live long enough to run for a second term. Would the Democrats even let that happen. Not sure of what costs he will pay. Some verbal spanking by the press which will drift into the ether in the next weeks version of the news? Surely not an uncontested rebirth of the Hunter Biden lap top story.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #84
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

"The first person I was instructed to call on..."

And this was not the low point of that presser.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 08-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #85
wdmso

It sad to see such loss of life and they had Intel something was going to happen .. however American need to decide
How many lives lost is enough or what are we willing to sacrifice to get everyone out? is 70k enough? Do we even know how many Americans are even in country should we stay longer ! we can’t have it both ways it’s not a movie

I know my answer .. but I am 1 of many
Old 08-27-2021, 04:55 AM   #86
scottw

stellar press conference.....I like how he reads off the grocery list of who to call on for the prepared question
Old 08-27-2021, 06:49 AM   #87
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Trump abandoned Syria, evacuated zero of our Kurdish allies and handed over our military bases to Russia, I guess the fake outrage is to be expected.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:06 AM   #88
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Trump abandoned Syria, evacuated zero of our Kurdish allies and handed over our military bases to Russia, I guess the fake outrage is to be expected.
don't try to change the subject...
Old 08-27-2021, 07:13 AM   #89
Pete F.
Canceled

On October 23, 1983, a terrorist drove a truck filled with explosives into Marine HQ in Beirut, killing 241 Marines. That came 6 months after a terrorist attack on the US embassy killed 63. Reagan promptly pulled out of Lebanon. No Democrats called on Reagan to resign, or said he should be impeached.

The reality is, for 20 yrs there have been terrorist suicide bombers killing civilians and Americans nearly daily in Afghanistan. This is why America is leaving. Only NOW they are outraged because it's all a political game for them. Appalling doesn't even begin to describe
Trumplicans.

I'm just a little skeptical of the motives of the politicians saying yesterday's tragedy requires an instant rethinking of policy but after every mass shooting in this country insist the only answer is to do absolutely nothing.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #90
scottw

definitely getting a Nobel Prize....