Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #1
Jim in CT

NYC mayor ( democrat) bashes Biden over immigration mess

NYC mayor says his city is being overrun with illegals who cost a ton of money. He says the current immigration situation is a national disgrace

Is he ( a democrat ) wrong?

fact is the gop gets a big fat F on this issue as well, but the democrats ran the show the last two years, and it’s gotten way worse during that time.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nyc...-embarrassment
Old 01-03-2023, 05:59 PM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Every party owns it and it’s decades old, the unfortunate flip side of living in one of the best countries on the planet, is more people living in their countries disarray want to come here. It has to be addressed cooperatively by both parties and the reality is these two parties (more so on the right) don’t want to work with or give the concessions needed to get it done. With the house on what might be the forth vote without a speaker elected, it’s not going to get better.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 01-03-2023 at 06:07 PM..
Old 01-03-2023, 06:30 PM   #3
wdmso

Jim your reading into Hes bashing democrats

More like Adams said the added migrant burden included families “arriving on buses sent by the Texas and Arizona governments”

He says the current immigration situation is a national disgrace

Yep and the GOP loves it and has no intent to fix it. don’t be fooled
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by wdmso; 01-03-2023 at 08:51 PM..
Old 01-03-2023, 07:43 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Who are the the people proclaiming to the world that we have open borders?
Republicans….

Republicans simultaneously told the public that the White House has adopted “open border policies” and that the Biden administration successfully apprehended a million migrants — at the southern border since last fall.

But both claims cannot be true. An administration can embrace an open border, or it can stop those trying to enter the country. But if an administration is doing the latter, it obviously isn’t also doing the former.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:09 PM   #5
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Who are the the people proclaiming to the world that we have open borders?
Republicans….

Republicans simultaneously told the public that the White House has adopted “open border policies” and that the Biden administration successfully apprehended a million migrants — at the southern border since last fall.

But both claims cannot be true. An administration can embrace an open border, or it can stop those trying to enter the country. But if an administration is doing the latter, it obviously isn’t also doing the former.

I’ve said that before the only party broadcasting the US Borders are wide open are you guessed Republicans. They wanted the caravans and the migrant crisis they wanted the bus Trips because they hoped it would help them in the midterms .

And they think musk and the hunter laptop covid hearings are going to help them in 2024

After the speaker debacle Wait till they default on US debt

Gerrymandering is the only thing that will save them
Old 01-03-2023, 09:34 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Every party owns it and it’s decades old, the unfortunate flip side of living in one of the best countries on the planet, is more people living in their countries disarray want to come here. It has to be addressed cooperatively by both parties and the reality is these two parties (more so on the right) don’t want to work with or give the concessions needed to get it done. With the house on what might be the forth vote without a speaker elected, it’s not going to get better.
it’s decades old, and both sides contributed to it, no doubt.

But is it worse now?
Old 01-03-2023, 11:32 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
it’s decades old, and both sides contributed to it, no doubt.

But is it worse now?
No one other than Jim has been more committed to the “border crisis” framing than Fox News, though; according to the Nexis database, Fox has used the term at least 78 times since inauguration. In fact, the first mention by any major national publication or network of an urgent, Biden-specific crisis appears to have taken place Jan. 21, one whole day after the new president had taken the oath of office, on Fox personality Laura Ingraham’s prime-time show. One of the experts Ingraham put forth to confirm the crisis’s existence was Stephen Miller, the senior Trump adviser with well-documented intellectual roots in the community of nationalists who advocate strict immigration laws because they believe that the U.S. should be a white-controlled country; Miller was responsible for creating and/or pushing through Trump’s most notorious border policies, including the “zero tolerance” initiative to separate parents from their young children. Ingraham’s other guest was Mark Morgan, who served as the acting director of both Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection under Trump. The message of their segment was that Biden, by moving to halt deportations during a review of immigration policy, was encouraging and attracting violent criminals:
Blah blah blah

Miller and Morgan not only identified the existence of a new crisis but named its cause: Biden’s initial moves to roll back their (unpopular) policies.

According to CBP’s own data, though, year-over-year apprehensions began rising in August 2020, when Trump was still president, and had increased significantly before votes were counted in November. (In October 2020, there were 71,946 reported apprehensions; in October 2018, there were 60,781.) An op-ed published Monday by analysts at the Migration Policy Institute cites data from 2020 and January 2021 that indicates a high portion of attempted crossings were being made by individual adults who’d already tried to cross before and been expelled—individuals who had, therefore, already decided to make a journey north well before Biden won the election. (The op-ed’s writers also note that Central America was hit hard in November by two hurricanes, which may have triggered migration that was unrelated to domestic U.S. politics.) And a Washington Post op-ed published Tuesday by authors from the U.S. Immigration Policy Center observes that if you add 2019’s numbers to the pandemic-related numerical drop in documented crossings that took place in 2020, you get, roughly, 2021’s numbers; in other words, the number of crossings taking place now could constitute a normal level of volume being combined with “pent-up” volume related to COVID-19.

Never mind the great sales tool for traffickers, Republicans proclaiming that we have “open” borders.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-04-2023, 06:24 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
No one other than Jim has been more committed to the “border crisis” framing than Fox News, though; according to the Nexis database, Fox has used the term at least 78 times since inauguration. In fact, the first mention by any major national publication or network of an urgent, Biden-specific crisis appears to have taken place Jan. 21, one whole day after the new president had taken the oath of office, on Fox personality Laura Ingraham’s prime-time show. One of the experts Ingraham put forth to confirm the crisis’s existence was Stephen Miller, the senior Trump adviser with well-documented intellectual roots in the community of nationalists who advocate strict immigration laws because they believe that the U.S. should be a white-controlled country; Miller was responsible for creating and/or pushing through Trump’s most notorious border policies, including the “zero tolerance” initiative to separate parents from their young children. Ingraham’s other guest was Mark Morgan, who served as the acting director of both Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection under Trump. The message of their segment was that Biden, by moving to halt deportations during a review of immigration policy, was encouraging and attracting violent criminals:
Blah blah blah

Miller and Morgan not only identified the existence of a new crisis but named its cause: Biden’s initial moves to roll back their (unpopular) policies.

According to CBP’s own data, though, year-over-year apprehensions began rising in August 2020, when Trump was still president, and had increased significantly before votes were counted in November. (In October 2020, there were 71,946 reported apprehensions; in October 2018, there were 60,781.) An op-ed published Monday by analysts at the Migration Policy Institute cites data from 2020 and January 2021 that indicates a high portion of attempted crossings were being made by individual adults who’d already tried to cross before and been expelled—individuals who had, therefore, already decided to make a journey north well before Biden won the election. (The op-ed’s writers also note that Central America was hit hard in November by two hurricanes, which may have triggered migration that was unrelated to domestic U.S. politics.) And a Washington Post op-ed published Tuesday by authors from the U.S. Immigration Policy Center observes that if you add 2019’s numbers to the pandemic-related numerical drop in documented crossings that took place in 2020, you get, roughly, 2021’s numbers; in other words, the number of crossings taking place now could constitute a normal level of volume being combined with “pent-up” volume related to COVID-19.

Never mind the great sales tool for traffickers, Republicans proclaiming that we have “open” borders.
you’re right, the right is making political
hay out of it. That fact, doesn’t mean they’re wrong when they bring it up. Not every single thing I or foxnews says, is wrong.

Pete, is mayor adam’s wrong to be concerned? and why now? previous mayors didn’t warn that there were so many illegals s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up resources, that services would need to be cut to taxpayers. But adam’s is saying that is coming to NYC. previous mayors didn’t say “the inn is full”. But adams is saying that now.

Why now?

Maybe there’s also a politically motivated reason why the left, including you, desperately wants to avoid talking about this.

Pete, you, wayne, spence, GS, never ever ever discuss or mention anything that doesn’t paint democrats in a favorable light. Never. That means one of two things. Either all democrats are perfect, or you guys aren’t capable of honestly discussing their mistakes

Those are literally the only two choices. Which is it?

You’re blowing off the border sas a legitimate concern, becausen the left doesn’t discuss it. To you, that’s proof that it can’t be a legit issue.

except the whole point of my post is that mayor adams is a democrat, and he’s bringing it up. Foxnews didn’t force it on him. He chose to bring it up.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-04-2023 at 08:12 AM..
Old 01-04-2023, 08:37 AM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
you’re right, the right is making political
hay out of it. That fact, doesn’t mean they’re wrong when they bring it up. Not every single thing I or foxnews says, is wrong.

Pete, is mayor adam’s wrong to be concerned? and why now? previous mayors didn’t warn that there were so many illegals s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up resources, that services would need to be cut to taxpayers. But adam’s is saying that is coming to NYC. previous mayors didn’t say “the inn is full”. But adams is saying that now.

Why now?

Maybe there’s also a politically motivated reason why the left, including you, desperately wants to avoid talking about this.

Pete, you, wayne, spence, GS, never ever ever discuss or mention anything that doesn’t paint democrats in a favorable light. Never. That means one of two things. Either all democrats are perfect, or you guys aren’t capable of honestly discussing their mistakes

Those are literally the only two choices. Which is it?

You’re blowing off the border sas a legitimate concern, becausen the left doesn’t discuss it. To you, that’s proof that it can’t be a legit issue.

except the whole point of my post is that mayor adams is a democrat, and he’s bringing it up. Foxnews didn’t force it on him. He chose to bring it up.
Don’t worry
The Republicans have control of the house and are responsible for immigration reform.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-04-2023, 08:47 AM   #10
wdmso

So lexisnexis data base being used and quoted by Fox News about immigration numbers doesn’t exist?

LexisNexis Risk Solutions is also marketed to law enforcement agencies, offering “advanced analytics to generate quality investigative leads, produce actionable intelligence and drive informed decisions” — in other words, to find and arrest people.

All I found their just a analytical company like Amazon. Or am I missing something
Old 01-04-2023, 08:48 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Don’t worry
The Republicans have control of the house and are responsible for immigration reform.
You completely dodged my question. As always, when the only answer doesn't makes democrats look like gods.

Pete, what are you afraid would happen, exactly, if you just admitted that the left just has some ideas that are bad? There are hundreds of policy issues that effect us. You can't just admit that the left doesn't have the best answer on every single issue?

Keep bleating you truth like a good sheep. "Republicans are b-a-a-a-a-a-ad!!"

And you might want to take a civics class, the house doesn't get to unilaterally pass immigration laws. Laws have to be approved by the Senate and signed by POTUS. In any event, I'm not hopeful the GOP could get it right, they failed miserably on this issue when the GOP ran the whole show for Trumps first two years. Unlike you, I can admit when my side fails. Both sides stink.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 01-04-2023 at 08:56 AM..
Old 01-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
You completely dodged my question. As always, when the only answer doesn't makes democrats look like gods.

Pete, what are you afraid would happen, exactly, if you just admitted that the left just has some ideas that are bad? There are hundreds of policy issues that effect us. You can't just admit that the left doesn't have the best answer on every single issue?

Keep bleating you truth like a good sheep. "Republicans are b-a-a-a-a-a-ad!!"

And you might want to take a civics class, the house doesn't get to unilaterally pass immigration laws. Laws have to be approved by the Senate and signed by POTUS. In any event, I'm not hopeful the GOP could get it right, they failed miserably on this issue when the GOP ran the whole show for Trumps first two years. Unlike you, I can admit when my side fails. Both sides stink.
Poor victim,
You ask a lot of questions

Someone needs to open an investigation into the Republican Party, to see if they have any ties to America.

Apparently you think the President initiates legislation.
Didn’t you pay attention in civics?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Poor victim,
You ask a lot of questions

Someone needs to open an investigation into the Republican Party, to see if they have any ties to America.

Apparently you think the President initiates legislation.
Didn’t you pay attention in civics?
and you dodge a lot of questions

asking questions is a pretty common way of learning. and a fun way to illustrate who is so insecure in their beliefs that they never answer.

when did i come close to saying the president initiates legislation? i said laws can’t come into existence without the president signing it, unless a veto is overridden.

you’re hearing those voices.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:43 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
and you dodge a lot of questions

asking questions is a pretty common way of learning. and a fun way to illustrate who is so insecure in their beliefs that they never answer.
Well, it’s obvious you’ve got a lot to learn.

Lets Go Darwin