Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
gldnbear93

gummed up airbrush

My badger 155 has been sitting for a couple of months. Took it out to paint a few musky baits last night. I thought I had it cleaned out, but I guess not. It spits and fizzes and won't pull the paint except at a high pressure (40lbs+). I have run the BERNZY mixture through it several times and the badger cleaner as well. I have taken it apart as well. All the channels seem clear. I have a new needle in it. I think it still has old paint residue built up somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning this thing out?

Go Bears!
gldnbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Have you checked the nozzle? Take it apart and check to see if the nozzle has excess buildup in it. If so, try soaking it over night in a windex/simple green and water mix 25/25/50 mix.....if this does not work maybe need a new nozzle.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
Striperknight
Plug Paladin

I find the windex/green does not work for the really bad clogs. Createx or badger airbrush cleaner will remove any buildup.
Striperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
Motor Fish

It may possibly be the paint. I have found that over time, the createx paints tend to thicken up a bit and don't spray very well. Especially when you get close to the bottom of the can. If the paint seems really thick, try adding a few drops of water to thin it out a bit.

Maybe it's me, painting is not my strong point. Just a thought....

My goal in life is to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am.
Motor Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 AM   #5
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

If you ran Bernzy's mix thru it several times it must be clear.. paint may be snot infested.. for tough dry residue I use a pencil eraser on needle and round wood toothpicks in nozzle and other stuff .. Do you back flush while painting ?

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
gldnbear93

I don't think it is the paint, because it fizzes even with just the cleaner solution. I flush it with cleaner after each color change and run a 3/4 oz bottle of cleaner through it at the end of each painting session. I have taken the whole thing apart and swabbed out the interior as well. It looks clean, but just does not run clean. I'll take it apart and try soaking it over night tonight.

Go Bears!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
Smokey14
licensed to kill

Send a message via AIM to Smokey14
It's been pretty humid lately. Check your air system for excess moisture. If you are using coiled poly air line that stuff holds water like a sink trap.

If I offend you please call 1-800- 328-7448
Smokey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

also if you leave air in your compressor it can condensate over time. Fill it with air and empty it a couple of times and see if that takes some of the moisture out.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Bernzy

You might want to use a magnifying glass to check the nose cone/nozzle for a split or a crack near the tip.

Or it could be a split in the plastic tube inside your paint bottle where it connects to the cap.

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
gldnbear93

Wow lots of suggestions and help here! Thanks everyone.

I'll check w/ the magnifier.I have a tankless compressor for the airbrush and have a moisture filter in the hose. I am positive this is something in the airbrush itself.

Go Bears!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #11
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnbear93 View Post
I don't think it is the paint, because it fizzes even with just the cleaner solution. I flush it with cleaner after each color change and run a 3/4 oz bottle of cleaner through it at the end of each painting session. I have taken the whole thing apart and swabbed out the interior as well. It looks clean, but just does not run clean. I'll take it apart and try soaking it over night tonight.

Backflush ,,is when you hold the brush under water,, holding your finger tight over the nozzle where the paint usaully comes out ,, then pull the trigger wide open .. Contents of brush and air blow out intake hole .. I do this between colors besides running water and a little cleaner thru it ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
gldnbear93

Thank you all

It appears that an overnight soak is all that was required.

Once again thanks for all the suggestions. More painting soon.....

Go Bears!