Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Supreme C ourt upholds Michingan ban on affirmative action

By a shocking 7-2 vote, the Supreme Court upheld Michigan's ban of affirmative action. Obama appointee Sonia Sotomayor (who is Hispanic) said her colleagues "fundamentally misunderstand" the issue of racial bias at the heart of the dispute and chided them for not talking more openly about it.

One of her colleagues who, according to her, doesn't really understand racial bias is Clarence Thomas, a black man who grew up in the segregated south. He continued to experience racism first-hand right up until his confirmation hearings, when the Democrats (you know, the ones who really care about black people) crucified him with made-up charges related to maybe the worst black stereotype of all, that they are as horny as golden retrievers in heat and cannot control their lust. My favorite part of those hearings was when Senator Ted Kennedy lectured Thomas for mistreating women. That moment was when my father stopped being a Democrat.

Justice Sotomayor once belonged to a Hispanic advocacy group called "La Raza", which means "The Race". Not "a" race among many, but "the" race. The one race, the one that matters the most to her. She claims that Clarence Thomas doesn't understand racial bias as well as she does. And she'll be on that court until I'm 85 years old.

Hip hip, hooray!

PS, it's time for affirmative action to get discarded. If we want to help people on the fringe, we should make those decisions based on wealth, not on race. A rich black kid doesn't need the government to show him favoritism as much as a poor white kid.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Justice Sotomayor once belonged to a Hispanic advocacy group called "La Raza", which means "The Race". Not "a" race among many, but "the" race. The one race, the one that matters the most to her. She claims that Clarence Thomas doesn't understand racial bias as well as she does. And she'll be on that court until I'm 85 years old.
Actually it's intended to mean "the people" and is a non-profit, bi-partisan group that works for Hispanic advocacy.

Probably modeled after the Black Panthers.

At least Sotomayor is honest about how she was able to benefit from Affirmative Action. Thomas's by contrast is quite contradictory.

-spence
Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Actually it's intended to mean "the people" and is a non-profit, bi-partisan group that works for Hispanic advocacy.

Probably modeled after the Black Panthers.

At least Sotomayor is honest about how she was able to benefit from Affirmative Action. Thomas's by contrast is quite contradictory.

-spence
"it's intended to mean "the people"...

If that's what it was intended to mean, I wonder why they didn't call it "los pueblos", which means "the people". SInce you know all about it, I'm sure you can explain it? I presume there is a reason why they chose to call it "the race", and not "the people".

"Probably modeled after the Black Panthers."

I agree 100%. And no one who belongs to either one of those groups, deserves to be anywhere near the Supreme Court.

"At least Sotomayor is honest about how she was able to benefit from Affirmative Action"

Spence, no one denies that those on the receiving end of affirmative action, are likely to benefit from it. Obviously, when the government gives a freebie to someone, that person benefits. All that matters here, is whether or not it's fair to benefit one group at the expense of others, based solely on skin color. Jeez...

I see that you didn't touch the most appalling thing she did, which was to presume that the only possible reason the other justices could disagree with her (including Clarence Thomas!) is that they don't understand racial bias as well as she does. It's not possible that the other 7 justices (including some radical liberals) are just seeing this more clearly than she is, or that she is just flat-out wrong.

What Sotomayor explsitly said, was that none of the other justices understand racial bias as well as her. I guess Clarence Thomas lied about growing up as a black man in the segregated south? Is he actually a white man who grew up in Beverly Hills?

No one on the Supreme Court bench can grasp the concept of racial bias except Sonya Sotomayor and Ruth Ginsburg?