Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Piscator

Mortgage Principal Reduction?

Seems like a mistake if allowed. Wouldn’t this give someone an incentive to stop paying their mortgage to get a modification if they owe more than what house is worth? Sounds like a plan to stick it to the responsible tax paying, mortgage paying folks once again................

Why does it not pay to be responsible and do the right thing in this Country anymore?

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Seems like a mistake if allowed. Wouldn’t this give someone an incentive to stop paying their mortgage to get a modification if they owe more than what house is worth? Sounds like a plan to stick it to the responsible tax paying, mortgage paying folks once again................

Why does it not pay to be responsible and do the right thing in this Country anymore?
"Seems like a mistake if allowed"

It's idiotic and infantile...

"Sounds like a plan to stick it to the responsible tax paying, mortgage paying folks once again................"

Obama's entire re-election strategy is "us" (everyone who isn't stinking rich) versus "them" (those who are stinking rich), and doing whatever he can to buy votes from the "us" category, and making "us" afraid of "them". Liberals also believe that those in the "us" group, particularly those who enjoy "victim" status in the liberal world, are not responsible, or at fault, for anything bad that happens to "us". So if someone making $35,000 took out a $400,000 mortgage, well it's not their fault they can't pay the loan back. It's the bank's fault. Or Bush's fault. Instead of letting these people learn a lesson they need to learn, Obama gives them a pat on the head, a check, and asks for their vote because Romney won't offer them as much cash for making stupid decisions.

The fact is, there are lots of middle-class and upper-middle-class folks who work hard, do all the right things, and struggle to maintain our standard of living. From what I can tell, Obama has done exactly nothing, from an economic standpoint, for this large group of people. Why anyone in this group (unless they are in a union) would vote for Obama is beyond me. It's just beyond me.

Liberals want to offer in-state tuition to high schoolers whose parents are here illegally and thus pay no income taxes; they offer $7500 rebates to rich liberals who buy Chevy Volts (averege income of a Volt buyer is $175,000), mortgage modification programs for folks who bit off more than they could chew, credits for first-time homebuyers...None of this helps existing homebuyers who made responsible decisions and who struggle to do the right thing all the time. These programs don't help us, but we will be stuck with the bill.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
PaulS

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;932284 they offer $7500 rebates to rich liberals who buy Chevy Volts (averege income of a Volt buyer is $175,000),
[/QUOTE]

I thought the law became effective during the Bush administration? Bob Lutz - a liberal
Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

It pisses me off to no end

who is responsible for relaxing the qualifications to get a mortgage in the first place? someone made money off that, let those a holes bail out whoever needs help, the Federal government needs to get their act straightened out quickly.

I don't live beyond my means, never have and never will.

I bought at the peak of the market and the value decreased to less than I paid less than a year into it, I just dealt with it and have for 23 years. Getting screwed by taxes, now that I am 2 years away from paying off the house, the real estate taxes have gone up insane I wonder why
this country is in big trouble
time to revolt and take back our government
Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
..None of this helps existing homebuyers who made responsible decisions and who struggle to do the right thing all the time. These programs don't help us, but we will be stuck with the bill.
F that

I am almost done paying for my own home, I am not gonna pay for anyone elses'.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Redsoxticket

The principal reduction is to prevent homes going to foreclosure and flooding the market with low priced homes. The decreased appraised value of your home in the same area of these foreclosed homes far out weight the tax that you would pay for this principal reduction.
So then you can piss and moan that your house is worth nothing.
The people that take advantage of this for no cause are scum or opportunity seekers.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I thought the law became effective during the Bush administration? Bob Lutz - a liberal
Well then, you would be wrong as usual, because the Volt didn't come out until December 2010. You can look it up to see who was President at that time...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
F that

Oh yes you are. Your federal income taxes, and the fees you pay to your bank, fund these loan modification programs.

It's disgusting. I tell my 6 year-old that decisions have ramifications. Try telling that to a liberal. Lack of responsibility is one of the pillars of liberalism, one of the core beliefs of the foundation of liberalism. Everything bad that happens, must be someone else's fault.

Gimme, gimme, gimme.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

I don't live beyond my means, never have and never will.
And there in lies the secret of individual and governmental financial security.

" Choose Life "
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxticket View Post
The principal reduction is to prevent homes going to foreclosure and flooding the market with low priced homes. The decreased appraised value of your home in the same area of these foreclosed homes far out weight the tax that you would pay for this principal reduction.
So then you can piss and moan that your house is worth nothing.
The people that take advantage of this for no cause are scum or opportunity seekers.
"The principal reduction is to prevent homes going to foreclosure and flooding the market with low priced homes."

I don't disagree with that. But it's wrong. Why can't I qualify for a principal reduction? That would help me as well...

"The decreased appraised value of your home in the same area of these foreclosed homes far out weight the tax that you would pay for this principal reduction."

Absolutely, 100% wrong. Completely false. If I'm not selling my home, then it does not impact me at all if my home decreases in value temporarily. That does not impact me one cent. Not one cent. So don't feed me some BS about how this actually helps my bottom line. I don't need liberals looking out for my net worth. Please. If liberals want to help my bottom line, you can start by keeping your hands out of my pockets for five seconds.

"So then you can piss and moan that your house is worth nothing"

If my house is suddenly worth nothing, I won't ask you to bail me out. That's my problem to deal with, not yours. That's the difference between liberals and conservatives.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 04-10-2012 at 07:42 AM..
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Well then, you would be wrong as usual, because the Volt didn't come out until December 2010. You can look it up to see who was President at that time...
He's not wrong.

Both Bush 41 and Bush 43 signed laws giving tax credits to promote the purchase of electric vehicles.

Bush 43 did indeed sign the 7,500 tax credit into law as part of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.

Full Text of H.R. 1424 (110th): Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 - GovTrack.us

See Title II section 205.

Then in the spirit of a more constructive forum debate I think you really do owe Paul an apology.

A few data points are missing from the debate over mortgage reductions.

The reason it's a hot topic is that the 5 largest PRIVATE lenders just settled for 26 billion over accusations of improper lending and foreclosure behavior. A good chuck of this money is going to select underwater mortgage holders as compensation for unfair banking practices.

To date Fannie and Freddie have avoided mortgage reductions given the implications of taxpayer money and obviously the potential for abuse.

There certainly is an economic argument that mortgage reductions can be effective to stabilize the market. Some also argue that payment reductions can achieve the same effect.

While I'd agree that what might effectively be a taxpayer subsidy is a slippery slope, given the large number of mortgages held by Fannie and Freddie the taxpayer will end up taking a hit regardless if the situation doesn't improve.

-spence
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
PaulS

Quote:
Well then, you would be wrong as usualI ask a simple question and you insult me - classless, because the Volt didn't come out until December 2010. You can look it up to see who was President at that time..so there no lead time to develop a car.
And on top of it, a short search shows that the credits were intro. by Bush.

"For those who say that the Volt is the work of government interfering with the private market via the tax incentives given to those who purchase plug-in vehicles like the Volt, they might wish to keep in mind that these incentives were introduced not by the Democratic administration but by the George W. Bush administration"
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He's not wrong.

Both Bush 41 and Bush 43 signed laws giving tax credits to promote the purchase of electric vehicles.

Bush 43 did indeed sign the 7,500 tax credit into law as part of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.

Full Text of H.R. 1424 (110th): Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 - GovTrack.us

See Title II section 205.

Then in the spirit of a more constructive forum debate I think you really do owe Paul an apology.

A few data points are missing from the debate over mortgage reductions.

The reason it's a hot topic is that the 5 largest PRIVATE lenders just settled for 26 billion over accusations of improper lending and foreclosure behavior. A good chuck of this money is going to select underwater mortgage holders as compensation for unfair banking practices.

To date Fannie and Freddie have avoided mortgage reductions given the implications of taxpayer money and obviously the potential for abuse.

There certainly is an economic argument that mortgage reductions can be effective to stabilize the market. Some also argue that payment reductions can achieve the same effect.

While I'd agree that what might effectively be a taxpayer subsidy is a slippery slope, given the large number of mortgages held by Fannie and Freddie the taxpayer will end up taking a hit regardless if the situation doesn't improve.

-spence
"in the spirit of a more constructive forum debate I think you really do owe Paul an apology."

We were talking baout the Volt, which did not exist before Obama was President. The reason why I specified the Volt credit is that it's dishonest for Obama to say that Republicans only care about the rich, when his policies (Obama's credit for the Volt) is in effect giving cash back to folks whose average incomes are around $170,000. The fact that Bush had a similar program is irrelevent, because Bush wasn't saying that his political opponents only care about rich people. If my point was that only liberals offer green credits, I would be wrong. Since my point was that Obama has enacted policies that give tax credits to wealthy people, I am not incorrect. But Paul indeed has a point. Obama did not invent the concept of green credits. However, his point was moot, because it was not refuting what I had actually said.

"A good chuck of this money is going to select underwater mortgage holders as compensation for unfair banking practices."

Fine. And after those lenders fork over that money to the feds, they jack up their prices to pay for that. That hurts all of us. It hurts those of us who did nothing wrong.

"There certainly is an economic argument that mortgage reductions can be effective to stabilize the market"

I don't doubt that. However, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. If my neighbor did something stupid, why does he get financial help and I don't? Why does he deserve that money more than me?

Spence, there is also a common-sense argument that you take responsibility for your actions.

"the taxpayer will end up taking a hit regardless if the situation doesn't improve."

I may or may not take a hit if foreclosures hit the market. I will definitely take a hit if my money is taken from me and given to someone who was reckless and irresponsible.

If the value of all the homes are artificially inflated, all that does is postpone the inevitable correction that needs to take place.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
And on top of it, a short search shows that the credits were intro. by Bush.

"For those who say that the Volt is the work of government interfering with the private market via the tax incentives given to those who purchase plug-in vehicles like the Volt, they might wish to keep in mind that these incentives were introduced not by the Democratic administration but by the George W. Bush administration"

Paul, if you want both of us to dial it down, I'll do that. You were not asking a simple question, you were making a gotcha! comment, as your laughing-face icon shows.

My point about the Volt was (1) factually accurate in that Obama implemented that credit, as the car didn't exist before he was President, and (2) it shows the hypocrisy of Obama (and his supporters) for making the false claim that liberals are more interested in helping the poor than in helping the rich. Obama's Volt credit exactly supports my claim.

I will henceforth dial it down...
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

"henceforth" is a cool word. It doenst get used as much as it should. henceforth, i will use the word more often.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
spence

Jim, the law was a Bush action. That it was a Volt or Prius doesn't matter, you're still wrong.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
You were not asking a simple question, you were making a gotcha! comment, as your laughing-face icon shows.
The laughing emicon was for Bob Lutz - the CEO or Chairman of GM. As conservative of a person as there is
Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, the law was a Bush action. That it was a Volt or Prius doesn't matter, you're still wrong.
"the law was a Bush action."

First, it wasn't a law, it's a rebate program. It's not written in the constitution that anyone who buys a green car gets a $7500 rebate. The feds decide if and when to offer those rebates.

Fact #1. The Obama administration chose to offer that rebate to those who buy Volts (it was part of the Stimulus package). It doesn't matter that Obama didn't invent the notion of a green rebate, the Volt rebate had its genesis in the Obama administration.

Fact #2. The average income of those who buy Volts is $175,000. Therefore, these are people who do not need a tax rebate to buy a car.

Fact #3. Obama likes to say that conservatives care about taking care of the rich.

In my opinion, when you are handing $7500 checks to families making more than $175,000, you forfeit your right to portray yourself as Robin Hood.

That's what I said, and there aren't any factual mistakes.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 04-10-2012 at 02:22 PM..
Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
zimmy

I am not sure that Piscator's take in the original post is what the law is about. There currently is the HARP program and I beleive the principle reduction he is talking about is related. Many people qualify under HARP, but certain technicalities are limiting how many people actually get to take advantage of it. My understanding is that the new law is to help people who are in some of those situations. Not paying a mortgage, will immediately disqualify you for either program. If the loan is owned by Fannie Mae, and you have made all payments, and you bought during the peak of the market when prices were higher and rates 2 points higher, you may qualify for a streamlined refinance. You still have to pay for refinancing, closing, etc. However, the idea of HARP is to let responsible people, who pay their mortgage, refinance. To refinance under normal programs, you need equity. If you bought your house in 2004 and paid every single mortgage payment, a regular refi may not happen because with a current appraisal (likely 30% below where it was when you bought) you may not have enough equity. It isn't about people who bought 50000 houses when they could afford 200000, it is about everyone else who bought a house at an artificially inflated price. It can mean $500+ dollars a month in interest saved, it can mean getting a mortgage out from underwater. THose things are desperately needed to get the economy rolling.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
zimmy

Quote:
F that

I don't think you pay anyone elses in any way. I could be wrong with the new law, but under HARP you certainly don't. It just makes it so people who can't refi due to market circumstances beyond their control, can. Fannie mae will make less on interest, but it should not require any change in tax policy. I may be wrong, but I don't think in this case I am.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
zimmy

I can't find specific details, but it does look like the new law would encourage delinquincy. If that is the case, it is insane. Have to see real info first, but...

Update: what I just read on LA Times is not the law tied to HARP that I had recently discussed with some guys in the financial/mortgage industry. To me, HARP makes sense because principal gets reduced as more of the payment goes toward principal. Just dropping the principal for delinquent payers is a harder sell, although anyone who wants to buy or sell a home is held hostage by the situation.

Last edited by zimmy; 04-10-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Piscator

Yes, Zimmy. I was NOT referring to HARP. I was referring to the plan you read in the LA Times. Completely asinine!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #23

Can somebody point to the section in the Constitution where it provides for the pay down of mortgages of irresponsible people?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #24
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 179 View Post
Can somebody point to the section in the Constitution where it provides for the pay down of mortgages of irresponsible people?
LOL, maybe it's in the commerce claus.

" Choose Life "
Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 179 View Post
It's in the section that provides for free abortions, cell phones, lottery tickets and booze.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

More welfare given out=democratic votes come November. Just one more disemboweled standard.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
spence

You guys are still confusing two related but different things.

-spence
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
Piscator

Quote:
You guys are still confusing two related but different things.

-spence
Enlighten us........

This is what I'm referring too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/bu...reduction.html

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Enlighten us........

This is what I'm referring too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/bu...reduction.html
Mortgage principal reduction is driven primarily by two factors, to stabilize a weak market and to compensate for abuse by lenders. Ultimately it's a systems problem...this isn't a simple argument of what's fair for some and not for other.

Some might argue that's evidence that the GSE's should be dissolved, but there's a counter argument as well.

-spence
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #30
Piscator

Quote:
Mortgage principal reduction is driven primarily by two factors, to stabilize a weak market and to compensate for abuse by lenders. Ultimately it's a systems problem...this isn't a simple argument of what's fair for some and not for other.

Some might argue that's evidence that the GSE's should be dissolved, but there's a counter argument as well.

-spence
That's BS. You can call it abuse by lenders Spence but I call it abuse by buyers. It’s abuse by people who sign up for something that is out of their means or that they don't care to honor. That’s what is wrong with this Country. I bought when the market was at the highest, nobody put a gun to my head. When I was looking, some tried to tell me I could afford a larger mortgage and tried to sell the risky ARM's, etc. I did the research, was a responsible buyer. When you buy a house, you have to do some research on your own and figure out what you can afford, not what someone might tell you what you can afford. So you say it is a “systems” problem. It’s a dead beat, entitlement problem and now those folks are trying to point the finger at anyone but themselves.

This is craziness and will set a precedence. We no longer have personal accountability. It’s always someone else’s fault.