Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Supreme Court Justice kennedy retires

I would like to thank Harry Reid for invoking the nuclear option when it suited his needs. What’s good for the goose.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
spence

For SCOTUS?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
For SCOTUS?
It's a precedent in Senate procedure. Did Reid think it would only be used in the way HE wanted? As in the SCOTUS, precedent can spread like a virus. And as we have said, over and over, the left was warned that its precedents would come back to bite them.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Jim in CT

The nuclear can of worms has been opened.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The nuclear can of worms has been opened.
Why?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Why?
Ask Harry Reid. He opened it.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Ask Harry Reid. He opened it.
Exactly. You have a problem with it, write a letter to Harry Reid. He opened it. Time to stick it up his azz.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
spence

Such non answers
Old 06-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
detbuch

Quote:
Such non answers
Your one word, totally general, non-specific question was, I assume, a sly way to lead into focusing some kind of unnamed blame on the current use of the nuclear option and brush Reid's culpability under the rug. The "non-answers" focused the blame back onto the originator, and implied that the answer you want is also the answer to why Reid created the nuclear option.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Such non answers
Reid started this. Am I going too fast? Reid was warned by chuck Schumer that the gop would eventually use the nuclear option against the dems. He was right.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Such non answers
Your answers add nothing to the discussion.... (I detest this style of debate, as I do the current style of governing by winning at all costs...)

I just assumed that you were aware of the history of this rule of order, brought to the Senate floor by Mr Reid. It allows passage of vote by simple majority of 51, which is an easier target to attain than the normal passage vote needed which was 60.

So end result is, after an eight year reign where a group played with the rules to hold us by the short hairs.... the tide has changed and is being used against those who invoked this option.

Please note, Jeff, that this is NOT a pro-Trump post. Simply an answer to your answers feigning surprise and disdain…..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #12
PaulS

I'd prefer 9 middle of the roaders.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'd prefer 9 middle of the roaders.
As it should be.... to judge each case on merit, not political affiliation.

To take it a step further, I would prefer 100 middle of the roaders in the Senate too.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #14
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
As it should be.... to judge each case on merit, not political affiliation.

To take it a step further, I would prefer 100 middle of the roaders in the Senate too.
Good Luck with that, our state can't even come up with 2.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Reid started this. Am I going too fast? Reid was warned by chuck Schumer that the gop would eventually use the nuclear option against the dems. He was right.
They already have. Blaming this on Reid is silly, the Republicans removed the restriction for SCOTUS. They've already gone there.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:26 AM   #16
wdmso

All the GOP can say is at least we didn't steal this one....
Old 06-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #17
spence

Quote:
I just assumed that you were aware of the history of this rule of order, brought to the Senate floor by Mr Reid. It allows passage of vote by simple majority of 51, which is an easier target to attain than the normal passage vote needed which was 60.
Hence my point that the GOP has already used it to push Neil Gorsuch through. There's no can of worms that's been opened, we're far past that. Jim's just so giddy because he thinks Roe is going to be overturned he can't think straight.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #18
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

This is exactly what I find so nauseating. You project the idea of a landmark decision being overturned into a discussion about the procedure of appointment.... and then assign that idea to another, if only to propagate your agenda. It reminds me of debating with conspiracy theorists about NASA, 9/11, Newtown, flat earth, etc....

Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #19
DZ

I don't think there are any "middle of the roader's" in today's environment. There will always be issues with any nominee by both sides. This is bound to be nasty, I watched some clips of Clarence Thomas where he basically said he was "lynched" in the approval process. Trumps lasting legacy whether we like it or not will be the shape of the Supreme Court in years to come.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I warned you..... ; )

Quote:
Politics
Reid, Democrats trigger ‘nuclear’ option; eliminate most filibusters on nominees
1:11
The Senate goes nuclear

By Paul Kane November 21, 2013 Email the author

Senate Democrats took the dramatic step Thursday of eliminating filibusters for most nominations by presidents, a power play they said was necessary to fix a broken system but one that Republicans said will only rupture it further.

Democrats used a rare parliamentary move to change the rules so that federal judicial nominees and executive-office appointments can advance to confirmation votes by a simple majority of senators, rather than the 60-vote supermajority that has been the standard for nearly four decades.

The immediate rationale for the move was to allow the confirmation of three picks by President Obama to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit — the most recent examples of what Democrats have long considered unreasonably partisan obstruction by Republicans.

In the long term, the rule change represents a substantial power shift in a chamber that for more than two centuries has prided itself on affording more rights to the minority party than any other legislative body in the world. Now, a president whose party holds the majority in the Senate is virtually assured of having his nominees approved, with far less opportunity for political obstruction.
Goes on to say this was R's fault for blocking O's nominees, and that R's said to HR don't do this. HR gave middle finger yada yada yada

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.7900470a61af
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-warned-you-but-did-you-listen-oh-no-you-knew-it-all-didnt-you-its-always-the-same-i-always-tel.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	65379  

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
All the GOP can say is at least we didn't steal this one....
What did they steal , exactly? The nomination of the nut obama wanted? The American citizens freely chose to give senate control to the gop. As obama liked to say, elections have consequences. I don’t think voters gave the senate to the gop, so they could let obama replace Scalia with a liberal nut job. If the American people don’t like what Mitch McConnell did, they have the opportunity every two years to make a change. So far, they have chosen to leave the senate with the gop, and it’s a safe bet they will keep the senate in November, the seats up for re election could not possibly align any better for the republicans.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Hence my point that the GOP has already used it to push Neil Gorsuch through. There's no can of worms that's been opened, we're far past that. Jim's just so giddy because he thinks Roe is going to be overturned he can't think straight.
Reid did it in 2013, which last time I checked, was before Gorsuch got confirmed.

I don’t expect roe to get overturned. I do expect a shift away from liberal activism, and damn right that has me giddy. I remember exactly how I felt whan I heard Scalia died, I can’t believe how much better things are than I feared, all because McConnell finally grew a pair and held off obama.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #23
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Oooohhhhhhh

The Burn

https://twitter.com/senorrinhatch/st...75217584295938
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tbt-orhat.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	65380  

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #24
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
What did they steal , exactly? The nomination of the nut obama wanted? The American citizens freely chose to give senate control to the gop. As obama liked to say, elections have consequences. I don’t think voters gave the senate to the gop, so they could let obama replace Scalia with a liberal nut job. If the American people don’t like what Mitch McConnell did, they have the opportunity every two years to make a change. So far, they have chosen to leave the senate with the gop, and it’s a safe bet they will keep the senate in November, the seats up for re election could not possibly align any better for the republicans.
Merrick Garland was a nut? Is that based on Obama nominating him, therefore he must be an evil progressive? What do you actually know about him other than that he was nominated by Obama?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Merrick Garland was a nut? Is that based on Obama nominating him, therefore he must be an evil progressive? What do you actually know about him other than that he was nominated by Obama?
I’m basing it on the fact that obama wanted him. And the tiny, tiny bit I read. I didn’t write his biography. And I was using hyperbole, I don’t actually suspect he was mentally ill.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #26
spence

Quote:
This is exactly what I find so nauseating. You project the idea of a landmark decision being overturned into a discussion about the procedure of appointment.... and then assign that idea to another, if only to propagate your agenda. It reminds me of debating with conspiracy theorists about NASA, 9/11, Newtown, flat earth, etc....
Because they're all interrelated politically...no conspiracy here.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #27
spence

Quote:
Reid did it in 2013, which last time I checked, was before Gorsuch got confirmed.
Reid specifically said it wasn't allowed for SCOTUS. The Republicans changed that rule to push Gorsuch through which they likely would have done regardless of what Reid did in 2013.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #28
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
I watched some clips of Clarence Thomas where he basically said he was "lynched" in the approval process.
It is widely viewed that he pulled the race card by saying that when he was questioned on the sexual aspects of his dealings w/Anita Hill.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
It is widely viewed that he pulled the race card by saying that when he was questioned on the sexual aspects of his dealings w/Anita Hill.
It is also widely viewed that the dems played the race card, from the bottom of the deck, by claiming that a black man was not to be trusted around women. That was actually when I became a republican, after I saw what they did to Clarence Thomas.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Reid specifically said it wasn't allowed for SCOTUS. The Republicans changed that rule to push Gorsuch through which they likely would have done regardless of what Reid did in 2013.
Ahh. So since you speculate that they might have done it anyway, that means Reid didn’t open the can of worms.