Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 03-13-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

new metallic thread

For all the guys out there that are using metallic threads. I just tried the new Superior metallics and WOW.
they are a lot easier to work with than Gudebrod. Superior is smoother less seperation and comes in a lot more color choices.
cost is a little more. IMO they are worth it.
mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:10 PM   #2
Saltheart

What do yu think of Madiera metallic thread Mike?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I have tried 3 orders have on got any yet. everyone I talk to likes it.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
iflysw1

Superior

Mikecc,
Just curious where you found this metallic thread.I have been looking for a good metallic for a single thread inlay.
Wes.
iflysw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #5
PNG

What do yu think of Madiera metallic thread Mike?

I tried it and I like it. Waaaay better than you know who

Chris
PNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:14 AM   #6
Fishaddict
Hi..I'm Bob and I have an addiction

Superior metallics

Mike, do you have the Superior metallics in stock????
Any bright colors????? Neons maybe...
I used the HT Electra Metallic Hologram Braid I got from you a couple of weeks ago... It makes a nice butt wrap.. And absolutely explodes with colors when the sun light hits it...
I'll be needing a big spool of it soon..
Has anyone tried using the Hologram Braid for underwraps????
Fishaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:32 AM   #7
Goose

Quote:
Originally posted by Pasngas

I tried it and I like it.

Chris, isn't that the same thread you used on Bloo's rod(raffel)?? Beautiful colors.....I'll be lookin forward to trying them.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:22 AM   #8
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

There are to many sizes colors and types of thread for me to carry. I will be stocking a few types of the superior metallic along with the full line of Gudebrod HT metallic thread & HT Braid.Superior Metallics do not have the break strength of the Gudebrod HT metallic. The color selection is greater (about 50 colors) my suppliers have not brought a lot of these threads in house yet because Gudebrod is such a big part of their sales.
As for neon’s not much, just a lot more shades of gold, blue, red, green & a few odd colors I have yet to see.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:56 AM   #9
PNG

Goose I used some Maderia in Bloo's rod, mostly GudeBrod.

With Maderia you can have 3 or 4 threads in hand & wrap'm w/o them spinning all up like GudeBrod does.

I saw the superior thread Mike speaks of & it looks good, havent wrapped it yet. Seems simular to Maderia
As mike said he has a ton of thread so its hard to carry more. I just got some of the new GudeBrod from him and will be trying that out.

Chris
Old 03-14-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
Saltheart

Mike and Chris , if you have an interest in madiera thread , let me know what colors etc. I may have a way to get it. i think its the larger spools like the gudebrod 1 oZ spools.

email me at
Saltheart@striped-bass.com

Saltheart
Old 03-14-2003, 04:02 PM   #11
PNG

Thanks Mike. I 'm gonna wait on buying madiera till I give the new stuff Mike has, Superior a try.
At any rate hows medieras color selection? Their web site doesn't show a color chart and size is listed different than we are use to.
Chris

Last edited by PNG; 03-14-2003 at 04:05 PM..
Old 03-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #12
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

I emailed Mediera about carring their thread but have not heard back from them as of yet.
Chris is right poor website you think they would at least show some of their colors.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #13
jettyjockey18
Ban Sluggos

do you need to add cp to the superior metallic thread??
jettyjockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 04:44 PM   #14
PNG

Metallics = No CP, but remember its personal preference.

Chris
Old 03-15-2003, 09:23 AM   #15
Fishaddict

thread colors

Went playing online last night and found a site that carries both the Superior and Maderia threads.(and many others) Most all of it is dedicated to embroidery and sewing. But it does have color charts for everything. They have some wild holographis threads in there too.....

http://www.webofthread.com/thread.htm
Old 03-15-2003, 11:11 AM   #16
PNG

Fishaddict have you seen Gudebrods new HOLO thread
Wrapping one up now. Will let you know what I think. So far so good. Lokks cool
Chris
Old 03-15-2003, 12:05 PM   #17
Fishaddict

Chris, yes I have... got a small spool from Mike ...the Holo Black.. It worked well and looked good.. and when hit by sunlight.. it sure sparkles purrdyyy... going to get a big spool off him next week....
Old 03-18-2003, 07:00 PM   #18
Billy 40

How'd I miss this one???

You want stuff from Madiera, call them. Long story short - they'll send you a free color chart for metallics ($8), and if you want to choose from 250 thread colors for Butt wraps, ask for the Polyneon color chart (another $8). In adition, they enjoy sending free samples. Ask for a spool of metallic thread ($15 Retail) so you can test it and compare to what you are using now. Tehy also sent me 2 spools of Variagated thread ($8 each), and some tape to keep the thread on teh spool and clean (plastic stuff, acts similar to Saran Wrap, just a lot thicker)

I've also used Holographics as underwraps on 2 finished rods, and I actually am 1 guide away from finishing another one. PITA. Don't try and be lazy, put a coat of finish over the underwrap (note to self on that one)
Billy 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:59 AM   #19
hammer

I picked up a few spools of Madeira metallic thread at the rodcrafter seminar last January. I haven't used it yet but plan to try it in the next week or two. What you need to know before you buy this is that it is sized differently than what we are used to seeing. I have some in size #40 and size #30. To my eye, the # 30 seems to be similar diameter to size A HT metallic, and the size # 40 is considerably finer. I'll let you know how it turns out.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:57 AM   #20
Billy 40

The 30 weight (4/2) is pretty much the same size as A Nylon (this is the size teh colored MAdeira metallic comes in). The size 40 (5/2), which is only available in Gold and Silver tones, is not noticeably smaller when you wrap it, although it is slightly smaller. If you want teh FINEST, TEENYIST trim bands, you want the 50 weight, 7/2 thread. It is a metallic thread which is way smaller than size A, and is fairly strong, as long as you don't yank it and poke at it too much.

The Polyneon threads, are all 40wt, which is slightly larger than Size A Nylon.

These metallics & Polyneon threads, compared to Gudebrod, are very stretchy, but not very strong. You cannot use them for guide wraps, only for decorative wraps, trim bands, and underwraps. I have yet to try them in a weave, but once I start weaving, I will.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:37 AM   #21
Saltheart

Is there any Madiera thread you can use for guide overwraps? I'm pretty happy with the plain nylon Gudebrod so my interest is mainly in the Madiera metallics cause sometimes the Gudebrods just suck (plain english ) cause of the way the metal overwrap seperates. But anyway , jsut to know , is there a Madeira thread suitable for guide overwraps?

Saltheart
Old 03-20-2003, 04:36 PM   #22
Billy 40

Unfortunately NOT! When i see other sewing machine companies metallix, I'm quite dissappointed with Gudebrod's myself. But, Gudebrod does make a stronger metallic than anyone else, so maybe we need to deal with the problems? I just won't use it for overwraps, and am trying to phase it out of my butt wraps & underwraps, opting for Madiera, and I'll soon be exploring some other companies such as YLI in search of a more user friendly thread with more colors and higher quality.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:00 AM   #23
Billy 40

Interesting post. For a quick update, as if anyone cares - I dumped all my Madeira and am replacing it with Sulky, YLI/Fishhawk & Superior metallic threads. I've used each one of these companies, and the only one which has finish issues are the Madiera metalics (their Polyneon cannot be beat for butt wraps, and I'll be using it more an d more on guides his year - already have it on 2 rods).

All 4 of these companies produce almost identical threads. The colors are very close to one antother, all are aboutthe same diameter, all have that slight stretch, all resist flaking and peeling like Gudebrod.

What's wierd about the MAdiera, is it seems to vary from color to color, spool to spool. The Cobalt I had was just awful - it was like mixing oil & water, but the Aluminum & Gold colors were pretty much Ok except once in a while they would act up. I tried all finishes on them, and go tthe same results, which is why I decided to sell them & rplace with the other brands which gave me no finish issues.

Not to mention they all have more colors than Madeira metallics, and a few different ones in teh Gay color plate whic I love, lol. Rose, Cranberry, lilac, Mauve, etc.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #24
Saltheart

Al Goldberg told me they put some kind of coating on the Madeira thread because it nis mainly used on some automated weaving machines. The coating is like a lube for the high speed machines. This coating means sometimes the finish will not adhere well causing fish eyes. I've managed to get around it by either using CP or by waiting till the finish is a little cured and respreading it over any fisheyed areas. When its a little stiff and respread , the finish doesn't pull back. I like the beautiiful vivid colors Madeira offers. I would like to see some of the other brands you mentioned. My big complaint with Gudebrod is how the metallic foil comes off the nylon core.. It happens a lot and causes lots of wrapping problems. Mostly it can always be unwrapped and cut out and replaced but who has time for that Bull. I should just return the bad Gudebrod spools (it appears a spool is either good or bad , not mixed)

Saltheart
Old 01-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #25
Billy 40

Salt - The lubricant they use is Silicone, which is why the epoxy doesn't adhere. You are 100% correct, CP will take care of this problem, sometimes 2 coats are needed. I suggest NOT using Glass Coat CP at all, but especially on MAdira metallics. What happened when I used it on Cobalt Blue is the CP had a very cloudy appearance which showed up when teh rod was taken into teh sunlight. THt was the last time I used it, I sold 16 spools and am starting over fro mbasically scratch.

If you have good results - don't switch, that's crazy. If you ae having some trouble, consider switching brands.