Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Not a racist

What would people say if Elizabeth Warren had claimed to have Jewish heritage and Trump had said:
If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Marjorie Morningstar, did this commercial from Auschwitz or Buchenwald instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in a yarmulke, it would have been a smash!

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
Jim in CT

i see! so to you, there’s no issue with warren lying to be an ethnic minority for her own personal gain. but if trump
makes fun of her in crass sophomoric fashion, THAT bothers you. But not what she did.

When warren was asked to submit an authentic cherokee recipe for an indian cookbook, she chose a crab omelette. As we all know, crabs were a staple of the diet for Oklahoma Cherokees. there’s no better crab than Oklahoma Plains crab, I always say...in fact, when the university of oklahoma needed to pick a mascot, it came down to sooners and hard shells.

trump=bad, we get it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Not the point, Trump makes fun of anyone who calls him out and far to many of his personal attacks are completely inappropriate. Disabled, life long patriot, prisoner of war, it matters little to Trump, civility, respect and decorum are not words he lives by. He lessons the position of president with each and every tweet.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i see! so to you, there’s no issue with warren lying to be an ethnic minority for her own personal gain. but if trump
makes fun of her in crass sophomoric fashion, THAT bothers you. But not what she did.

When warren was asked to submit an authentic cherokee recipe for an indian cookbook, she chose a crab omelette. As we all know, crabs were a staple of the diet for Oklahoma Cherokees. there’s no better crab than Oklahoma Plains crab, I always say...in fact, when the university of oklahoma needed to pick a mascot, it came down to sooners and hard shells.

trump=bad, we get it.
Least racist person
As proof he did not restrict blacks and Hispanics from getting jobs

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Not the point, Trump makes fun of anyone who calls him out and far to many of his personal attacks are completely inappropriate. Disabled, life long patriot, prisoner of war, it matters little to Trump, civility, respect and decorum are not words he lives by. He lessons the position of president with each and every tweet.
Perhaps the position of President should be lessened. It has become a more powerful position than was imagined when it was created. Come to think of it, the same can be said of the entire federal government.

And, BTW, those early pols weren't exactly the most civil, respectful, and decorous politicians whoever "respected" their office. There was a lot of hate and vituperation cast at one another, as was done in the flaming press of that time. Aaron Burr, a sitting Vice President, fought a duel and killed one of the most famous and "respected" founders, Hamilton.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

This whole thread is going to go swirling down the "Stupid Hole" real quick.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Perhaps the position of President should be lessened. It has become a more powerful position than was imagined when it was created. Come to think of it, the same can be said of the entire federal government.

And, BTW, those early pols weren't exactly the most civil, respectful, and decorous politicians whoever "respected" their office. There was a lot of hate and vituperation cast at one another, as was done in the flaming press of that time. Aaron Burr, a sitting Vice President, fought a duel and killed one of the most famous and "respected" founders, Hamilton.
Really that is your argument, that because it was done in the past, it is to be expected in the present? If we haven’t changed in that respect, then it’s time we did, nobody needs to be a fing ahole to govern or make a point. Far to many threads fall into the same lame argument based on past administrations and you are taking it to a new level of absurdity by really setting the way back machine to a time that has no relevance today. You have been driving around in the Delorian for too long.

Last edited by Got Stripers; 01-14-2019 at 04:41 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
it is at least part of the point. the left never, EVER stops talking about race, not ever. and none of them had anything critical to say when a prominent senator who is their party’s current front runner for potus, lies about being a minority to get a cushy job.

trump is a jerk. and the left doesn’t give a rats azz about minorities, unless it’s pilitically advantageous to do so.

i’ve ripped
into trump many times, i thought this time he was hilarious, and you’d be hard pressed to find a more deserving target.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #9
wdmso

Wounded Knee was one of the worst native massacres in US history.

Native Americans have decried Mr Trump's language, calling it insensitive and racist.

And the usual suspects rush in to run defense with absurd comparisons
Old 01-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

He declared himself a nationalist how can that be construed as racist😳
Old 01-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
This whole thread is going to go swirling down the "Stupid Hole" real quick.

quick?
it began with post #1

then again, I am not apprised of Trumps' latest tweet, insult or outrage of the day so I don't care, Trump does not live in my head and I don't look for these things, they do however show up on this forum daily.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Wounded Knee was one of the worst native massacres in US history.

Native Americans have decried Mr Trump's language, calling it insensitive and racist.

And the usual suspects rush in to run defense with absurd comparisons
another horrible
massacre of
native americans was the trail of tears. liz warren isn’t descended from cherokee’s, but she is deacended from someone who was an enforcer on the Trail If Tears. then she seizes
for herself the sympathy we have for these people, for her own profit.

and you don’t care. all that offends you, is the brashness of Trumps criticism ofbher cultural theft.

do you object to what warren did at all?

pray to god she gets the nomination, trump wouldn’t even have to campaign.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Really that is your argument, that because it was done in the past, it is to be expected in the present? If we haven’t changed in that respect, then it’s time we did, nobody needs to be a fing ahole to govern or make a point. Far to many threads fall into the same lame argument based on past administrations and you are taking it to a new level of absurdity by really setting the way back machine to a time that has no relevance today. You have been driving around in the Delorian for too long.
You said " it matters little to Trump, civility, respect and decorum are not words he lives by. He lessons the position of president with each and every tweet." I don't know from which book or code of presidential conduct you get your notion, nor who wrote it. If anyone would have a proper idea of some notion of presidential "position" on civility, respect, and decorum, those who created that position surely would have a sound and proper notion on the subject.

And any unwritten yet perceived idea of presidential conduct could only be derived from how Presidents have acted in the past. There have been several potty mouthed or disrespectful or indecorous Presidents in the past. Trump is not some outlier in that respect. He may even be more respectful than others. When he is not attacked, he is civil, and respectful. Many of those who know him personally attest that he is very civilized.

And, apparently it's OK with you when in this forum Trump is accused of "unprecedented" behavior, or of telling more lies than any past President. Those time machines are OK.

I found this in something called: Code of Ethics for US Government Service:
"Is There a Presidential Code of Ethics?
While the elected members of Congress have chosen to adopt their own code of ethics, the President of the United States, as an elected rather than hired or appointed representatives of the people, is not subject to any specific statute or rule governing his or her ethical conduct. While they are subject to civil suit and criminal prosecution for violations of common laws, presidents are generally immune from punishment for conduct related to their official acts. In other words, presidents are generally free to lie or misrepresent facts, as long as they do not intentionally defame any specific person or persons in doing so.

In fact, the only the only practical remedies to unethical conduct on the part of the president are the constant vigilance of a well-informed public, congressional oversight, and ultimately the threat of impeachment for 'high crimes and misdemeanors.' ”

So, unless he can be accused of "intentionally defaming" someone (for which he could be sued for libel--which has not happened), how has he lessened the position of President.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #14
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

There was acceptable treatment of native Americans, blacks and women in the past in which you love to visit, times change and the bar had been raised thankfully, maybe it’s time for us to expect more of our potus.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
There was acceptable treatment of native Americans, blacks and women in the past in which you love to visit, times change and the bar had been raised thankfully, maybe it’s time for us to expect more of our potus.
Being an enforcer on the Trail of Tears? Yeah., no biggie. Let me guess, it was wrong to brutalize people, riiiiiight up until the day Trump got sworn in. Then, instantly, bad behavior became bad again.

You guys....there is no such thing as loathsome behavior, unless it's Trump. Everyone else gets a pass, at least everyone with a 'D' after their name.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #16
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Being an enforcer on the Trail of Tears? Yeah., no biggie. Let me guess, it was wrong to brutalize people, riiiiiight up until the day Trump got sworn in. Then, instantly, bad behavior became bad again.

You guys....there is no such thing as loathsome behavior, unless it's Trump. Everyone else gets a pass, at least everyone with a 'D' after their name.
I’d best just as upset at a Democrat for similar treatment of others, Trump has brought inappropriate to an entire new level.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #17
Sea Dangles

He outdid himself tonight with the spread he put out for the Clemson Tigers! A lot of family favorites Ricky Bobby style.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #18
detbuch

Quote:
When did this bar raising occur? Was there a report about this event? Was there some official code written and approved for this new bar? And how, specifically, is this bar worded? Would this bar limit the Presidents freedom of speech? Are there some specific limited ways encoded in which ways the President must behave himself?

How is it expecting more of the POTUS if he/she is limited in personal ways to act and express? This sounds like some ancient prescription for Royal etiquette. The Queen must not say certain words. It would be unseemly and shocking.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #19
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
When did this bar raising occur? Was there a report about this event? Was there some official code written and approved for this new bar? And how, specifically, is this bar worded? Would this bar limit the Presidents freedom of speech? Are there some specific limited ways encoded in which ways the President must behave himself?

How is it expecting more of the POTUS if he/she is limited in personal ways to act and express? This sounds like some ancient prescription for Royal etiquette. The Queen must not say certain words. It would be unseemly and shocking.
I keep forgetting I’m just banging my head against a WALL and all I will ever get out of it is a headache. You can go back to the future now where life is as it should be.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #20
detbuch

Quote:
I keep forgetting I’m just banging my head against a WALL and all I will ever get out of it is a headache. You can go back to the future now where life is as it should be.
It's all good.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 AM   #21
wdmso

Quote:
another horrible
massacre of
native americans was the trail of tears. liz warren isn’t descended from cherokee’s, but she is deacended from someone who was an enforcer on the Trail If Tears. then she seizes

and you don’t care. all that offends you, is the brashness of Trumps criticism ofbher cultural theft.

I was told i was irish , french canadian, english , and indian who know whats true or false

Warren cultural Theft .... what a joke but trumps comments were just brashness... you talk alot about others Hate.. you need to look in the mirror on the topic of hate when it come to Warren
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
another horrible
massacre of

You pray for odd things

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
I was told i was irish , french canadian, english , and indian who know whats true or false

Warren cultural Theft .... what a joke but trumps comments were just brashness... you talk alot about others Hate.. you need to look in the mirror on the topic of hate when it come to Warren
"Warren cultural Theft .... what a joke "

When you and Spence reply with "wrong, that's a joke", with absolutely zero supporting evidence, we all know that you are desperately grasping at straws.

But for the sake of argument, can you explain why she isn't guilty of cultural theft? She claimed to be Native American when applying for a $400,000-a-year job at Harvard, which she got, and for which Harvard advertised that she was a Native American professor.

When asked to provide an authentic Oklahoma Cherokee recipe for a Native American cookbook, she chose a crab omelette. There are two choices here...(1) Warren is stupid enough to honestly believe that crabs were a staple of the diet of the Oklahoma Cherokees, or (2) she's a fraud. There is no third option, so I'd love it if you tell me which you think it is.

"you need to look in the mirror on the topic of hate when it come to Warren"

I happily concede that I hate Elizabeth Warren, and that I pray with all my heart that she gets the nomination. If she gets the nomination, the GOP could nominate Pol Pot and win.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
You pray for odd things
It's odd to pray that the other side nominates someone with zero chance of winning? OK.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #25
wdmso

Quote:
"Warren cultural Theft .... what a joke "

When you and Spence reply with "wrong, that's a joke", with absolutely zero supporting evidence, we all know that you are desperately grasping at straws.

But for the sake of argument, can you explain why she isn't guilty of cultural theft? She claimed to be Native American when applying for a $400,000-a-year job at Harvard, which she got, and for which Harvard advertised that she was a Native American professor.

When asked to provide an authentic Oklahoma Cherokee recipe for a Native American cookbook, she chose a crab omelette. There are two choices here...(1) Warren is stupid enough to honestly believe that crabs were a staple of the diet of the Oklahoma Cherokees, or (2) she's a fraud. There is no third option, so I'd love it if you tell me which you think it is.

"you need to look in the mirror on the topic of hate when it come to Warren"

I happily concede that I hate Elizabeth Warren, and that I pray with all my heart that she gets the nomination. If she gets the nomination, the GOP could nominate Pol Pot and win.
This is about Trumps comments not warren action but you love your cause and effect arguments again as. if both are equal

Do you blame the women being raped south of the border ? if they never made the trip they put themselves at risk

Ps Spence and I provide plenty of supporting evidence. Your upset because the facts i do not support your many dubious non factual claims

In 1984, Warren contributed five recipes to a Native American cookbook entitled “Pow Wow Chow:

Wow your using a 34 year old cook book for your arguments how sad is that

Last edited by wdmso; 01-15-2019 at 08:20 AM..
Old 01-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
This is about Trumps comments not warren action but you love your cause and effect arguments again as. if both are equal

Do you blame the women being raped south of the border ? if they never made the trip they put themselves at risk

Ps Spence and I provide plenty of supporting evidence. Your upset because the facts i do not support your many dubious non factual claims
"This is about Trumps comments not warren action"

LMAO. Is there a law that says you can't switch topics? You called it a joke that people accuse Warren of cultural theft, I merely asked you to defend that. And you can't.

"Do you blame the women being raped south of the border ?"

Wait, I thought this was about Trump's comments and that we weren't allowed to stray from that topic? Since you asked, I will answer (a courtesy you don't show me), no, I don't blame the women, they are the victims.

"Ps Spence and I provide plenty of supporting evidence"

OK, show me the evidence that Warren didn't defraud Harvard.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #27
wdmso

Quote:
"This is about Trumps comments not warren action"

LMAO. Is there a law that says you can't switch topics? You called it a joke that people accuse Warren of cultural theft, I merely asked you to defend that. And you can't.

"Do you blame the women being raped south of the border ?"

Wait, I thought this was about Trump's comments and that we weren't allowed to stray from that topic? Since you asked, I will answer (a courtesy you don't show me), no, I don't blame the women, they are the victims.

"Ps Spence and I provide plenty of supporting evidence"

OK, show me the evidence that Warren didn't defraud Harvard.
de·fraud
/dəˈfrôd/Submit
verb
illegally obtain money from (someone) by deception.

Did Harvard pay her for being an Indian .. or to teach?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
de·fraud
/dəˈfrôd/Submit
verb
illegally obtain money from (someone) by deception.

Did Harvard pay her for being an Indian .. or to teach?
both. harvard advertised her as a native american professor.

are you seriously going to say, that warren had no incentive to lie on her application? that claimingnto be a native american, wouldn’t give her a better chance of getting the job? you deny this?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #29
spence

Jim, you do realize that the Cherokee tribes didn’t originally come from Oklahoma right?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Jim, you do realize that the Cherokee tribes didn’t originally come from Oklahoma right?
no i did not. but it’s less funny that way, and less accurate too obviously...