Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #61
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
his current approval ratings aren’t exactly a ringing endorsement.

we’re not a left wing country at the moment.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
not his fault, he's a victim of the insurrectionist media that won't report the approved narrative dutifully...or something
Old 09-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #62
wdmso

Only Trump has had a lower job approval rating than Biden does during similar points in their presidencies, according to a new poll, which found that the president’s approval rating hit a new low of 43%. Sept 22nd 2021

But Jim is all excited

Democratic’s just need to do what Republicans do say F principles and vote party …. Voting based on principles is actually doing nothing and won’t help in the midterm or help them get re elected … .. Dems never learn
Old 09-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #63
wdmso

This is why we tax the rich
the top 10 percent held 69.8 percent of total U.S. net worth (which is the value of all assets a person holds minus all their liabilities). The top 1 percent held about half of that wealth – 32.1 percent, while the next 9 percent held approximately another half at 37.7 percent.

The top 1% of Americans have about 16 times more wealth than the bottom 50%

So 10% have 70% of the wealth of American

(Republican senators and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, is a repeal of the estate tax.

The #DeathTax is an unfair tax that burdens family farms & ranches. Tragedy & loss shouldn’t be exploited to fill the federal government's coffers. Today, I led colleagues, including @LeaderMcConnell, @MikeCrapo, & many more, to reintro a #DeathTaxRepeal.

That’s a tax paid by only 2,500 of America’s 153 million tax filers, all of whom are (or were) among the richest Americans. Also, 100% of those on whom the tax is levied are dead when the bill arrives.

But Jim says we’ll we got a tax cut…. Again the 2 are not even comparable the only thing they have in common is the words Tax Cut .. The Republicans don’t like the infrastructure bill because it helps Americans and those Americans vote. And they can’t allow Biden to pass something to help Americans the True face of the Republican Party
Old 09-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Only Trump has had a lower job approval rating than Biden does during similar points in their presidencies, according to a new poll, which found that the president’s approval rating hit a new low of 43%. Sept 22nd 2021

But Jim is all excited

Democratic’s just need to do what Republicans do say F principles and vote party …. Voting based on principles is actually doing nothing and won’t help in the midterm or help them get re elected … .. Dems never learn
correct, biden is second to trump at this point. and trump got creamed.

i’m not excited about 2024, nothing that happens today will be remembered in 2024.

Trump implemented policies that Americans actually like. Cut taxes, grew the economy like crazy, stupid low unemployment, low gas prices that were in part due to his willingness to increase american supply, no humiliating international flops, zero inflation ( not all because of him obviously), stick market records ( not all because of him obviously), peace treaties in the middle east, and a lightning quick release of the vaccine ( little to do with him, but happened in his watch).

now we have meaningful inflation, soaring gas prices, a humiliation in afghanistan ( perceived or real is up to you), and a complete disaster at the southern border that more and more people are seeing for what it is, and in fighting within the party between progressives and moderates, and a president who looks more and more feeble. and growing frustration over covid lockdowns and obvious liberal indoctrination of children in schools.

all while there appears to be some
kind of problem with supply of goods into the US Which may soon start frustrating people.

i don’t see a lot of tailwinds helping biden anytime soon. Not all of them are his fault, we’ve been due for inflation, gas prices had nowhere to go but up, and not all covid results are the presidents responsibility.

It’s a challenging time on many fronts, perhaps not the best time to elect an 80 year old Alzheimer’s patient.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:58 AM   #65
Pete F.
Canceled

Latest WVa poll reveals over 70% of West Virginians support every aspect of the Biden infrastructure bill. Manchin is marching to corporate donor orders, not everyday WVa’ers

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #66
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Latest WVa poll reveals over 70% of West Virginians support every aspect of the Biden infrastructure bill. Manchin is marching to corporate donor orders, not everyday WVa’ers
well, we know that 99.9% of west virginians are uneducated hicks who married their sisters....soooo....I wouldn't put much stock in that nugget
Old 09-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #67
Pete F.
Canceled

In Arizona, 72% supported the American Rescue Plan, with most giving credit to the Democratic Party for passing provisions including vaccine distribution, stimulus checks and expanded child tax credit.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 09:05 AM   #68
Jim in CT

Quote:
i’m not sure Manchin opposes the spending that’s actually aimed at infastructure.

I’m not a “corporate donor”, yet I still
support Manchins priority that our corporate tax rate be very competitively. The entire left endlessly and desperately tries to convince themselves that only the 1% benefit from policy that helps business. most of us either work at a business or buy things from a business or somehow own stock in some business somewhere ( usually in our 401k). what’s good for business, helps all of us. i’m sorry if you despise that fact.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:21 AM   #69
Pete F.
Canceled

Sorry Jim,
You just eat the baloney and regurgitate it

Before the pandemic, there was 1 person worth $100 billion. Now there are 10.

Before the pandemic, those 10 people were worth $650 billion. Now they are worth $1.4 trillion.

Must have been all the hard labor and risk they took.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #70
scottw

Quote:

the pandemic has been a huge boon for china, democrats and big tech/corporate entities tied to democrats...hmmmmm
Old 09-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #71
scottw

Quote:
In Arizona, 72% supported the American Rescue Plan, with most giving credit to the Democratic Party for passing provisions including vaccine distribution, stimulus checks and expanded child tax credit.
most Americans support the government sending them "free money"
Old 09-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #72
Jim in CT

Quote:
Sorry Jim,
You just eat the baloney and regurgitate it

Before the pandemic, those 10 people were worth $650 billion. Now they are worth $1.4 trillion.

Must have been all the hard labor and risk they took.
"Before the pandemic, there was 1 person worth $100 billion. Now there are 10."

(1) so what? would anyone be better off if we burned all that money? They created it, they didn't steal it.
(2) how many are republican, how many are democrat?

"Must have been all the hard labor and risk they took"

You're being sarcastic, but that's what it is. You think you work more hours in a week than Jeff Bezos or Tim Cook?

You are deranged with jealousy, and consumed with the nonsense that one person's wealth was caused by another person's poverty. It doesn't work that way, wealth is not finite, it's not like a pizza. If it were, GDP would be constant.

Pete, just tell me this...how does it hurt you, if Apple's stock performance or Amazon's stock performance makes those CEOs richer? In what way does that have a negative impact on anybody?

Those people pay a boatload of taxes, they invest money which creates jobs, they spend a lot of money which creates jobs, and they give tons to charity.

How are you better off if those people were only half as successful as they are?

I don't think anyone needs a billion dollars, but I could care less if someone has that goal and then achieves it, as long as they do it legally.

"You just eat the baloney and regurgitate it"

This, from the guy obsessed with the wealth 100 private citizens in a country of 330 million.

If you want what they have, do what they did, or stop crying about it.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #73
Pete F.
Canceled

Meanwhile
Rural Americans are dying of Covid at more than twice the rate of their urban counterparts —Exacerbated by the refusal of Republicans to support literally any policy or program that might deliver more accessible and less expensive care to their own supporters…

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #74
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trumps tax cuts also greatly expanded the child tax credit, that saved me almost $3500 a year. How come you didn't post about what a good thing it was when Trump did the same exact thing?
Old 09-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #75
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Before the pandemic, there was 1 person worth $100 billion. Now there are 10."

(1) so what? would anyone be better off if we burned all that money? They created it, they didn't steal it.
(2) how many are republican, how many are democrat?

"Must have been all the hard labor and risk they took"

You're being sarcastic, but that's what it is. You think you work more hours in a week than Jeff Bezos or Tim Cook?

You are deranged with jealousy, and consumed with the nonsense that one person's wealth was caused by another person's poverty. It doesn't work that way, wealth is not finite, it's not like a pizza. If it were, GDP would be constant.

Pete, just tell me this...how does it hurt you, if Apple's stock performance or Amazon's stock performance makes those CEOs richer? In what way does that have a negative impact on anybody?

Those people pay a boatload of taxes, they invest money which creates jobs, they spend a lot of money which creates jobs, and they give tons to charity.

How are you better off if those people were only half as successful as they are?

I don't think anyone needs a billion dollars, but I could care less if someone has that goal and then achieves it, as long as they do it legally.

"You just eat the baloney and regurgitate it"

This, from the guy obsessed with the wealth 100 private citizens in a country of 330 million.

If you want what they have, do what they did, or stop crying about it.
Rant much?

You’re right. It takes thousands of people working for almost nothing to make someone a billion dollars. Capitalism will eat itself.

The share of American adults who live in middle-income households has decreased from 61% in 1971 to 51% in 2019. This downsizing has proceeded slowly but surely since 1971, with each decade thereafter typically ending with a smaller share of adults living in middle-income households than at the beginning of the decade.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #76
scottw

Quote:

Rant much?

from the guy that cuts and pastes encyclopedic volumes.....
Old 09-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #77
scottw

Quote:

It takes thousands of people working for almost nothing to make someone a billion dollars.

this is stupid.....
Old 09-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #78
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Quote:
Trumps tax cuts also greatly expanded the child tax credit, that saved me almost $3500 a year. How come you didn't post about what a good thing it was when Trump did the same exact thing?
As I have stated previously, I wanted Trump gone, he is, I'm glad and you are sad.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #79
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
well, we know that 99.9% of west virginians are uneducated hicks who married their sisters....soooo....I wouldn't put much stock in that nugget
Quote:
the pandemic has been a huge boon for china, democrats and big tech/corporate entities tied to democrats...hmmmmm
Quote:
most Americans support the government sending them "free money"
Quote:
this is stupid.....

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #80
Jim in CT

Quote:
Rant much?

You’re right. It takes thousands of people working for almost nothing to make someone a billion dollars. Capitalism will eat itself.

The share of American adults who live in middle-income households has decreased from 61% in 1971 to 51% in 2019. This downsizing has proceeded slowly but surely since 1971, with each decade thereafter typically ending with a smaller share of adults living in middle-income households than at the beginning of the decade.
You still won't answer my question.

How is anyone better off, if the 100 wealthiest people were only half as successful?

Are you saying that if they were less successful, that their lost wealth would necessarily go to the less fortunate? It doesn't work that way, because they created their wealth, they didn't steal it.

Christ, what a stupid, devoid-of-any-logic, broken record.

I agree that it's not fair that there are billionaires and poor people. But one person's wealth has nothing to do with another person's poverty. They're not connected to each other.

Ands as Scott correctly said, even if you took every cent that the billionaires have, it's nothing compared to the federal budget.

If you dont have what you want in life, and you want to know why, the answer isn't on the cover of Forbes magazine, it's much more likely that the answer is staring at you in the mirror.

Your premise is stupid, it has no logic to it, and it's completely refuted by the math, which clearly shows that tweaking tax rates on the wealthy doesn't add up to much.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #81
scottw

Quote:
it is all true....except I don't believe that about wv....that's the leftists particularly, ne leftists attitude
Old 09-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #82
scottw

Quote:

Ands as Scott correctly said, even if you took every cent that the billionaires have, it's nothing compared to the federal budget.

clearly we should kill them and take their stuff and evenly distribute it among the people they victimized to create their wealth and the world would be a better place
Old 09-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #83
Pete F.
Canceled

Just when did I say nobody should be successful, I have learned that trickle down doesn't work and that paying off politicians can get you a lot better treatment.

Pass the Buffett Rule. The Buffett rule, inspired by billionaire Warren Buffett, would require millionaires to pay a minimum tax rate of 30%. This will guarantee that the wealthy will not pay a smaller share of their income in taxes than a middle-class family pays. It would raise $72 billion over 10 years.

Close the Wall Street carried interest loophole. Wealthy private equity managers use a loophole to pay the lower 23.8% capital gains tax rate on the compensation they receive for managing other people’s money. We should close this loophole so that they pay the same rate as others at their income level who receive their compensation as salary. This would raise $17 billion over 10 years.

The richest 1% pay an effective federal income tax rate of 24.7%. That is a little more than the 19.3% rate paid by someone making an average of $75,000. And 1 out of 5 millionaires pays a lower rate than someone making $50,000 to $100,000.

Conservatives claim that the estate tax is a “death tax,” wrongly implying that the tax is paid when every American dies. In fact, the tax primarily is paid by estates of multi-millionaires and billionaires. The vast majority of deaths — 99.9% — do not trigger estate taxes today.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #84
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
clearly we should kill them and take their stuff and evenly distribute it among the people they victimized to create their wealth and the world would be a better place
Sounds implausible, doesn't it?

In 1993, Timothy McVeigh wrote his hometown paper: “Do we have to shed blood to reform the current system? I hope it doesn’t come to that. But it might.”

Two years later he murdered 168 people.

That the OKC bombing has somehow been memory-holed both baffles and explains a lot

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #85
Jim in CT

Quote:
I did the math, I looked at Walmart, if you took all of the CEOs annual compensation and gave it to the US workers, it worked out to around $35 per year. Big whoop.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #86
Jim in CT

Quote:
When I was 19, I heard the CT democrats saying if we could just take a little more from the wealthy, we could end poverty. It sounds so morally obvious, I registered as a democrat and couldn't believe anyone was opposed. Then one day, someone showed me the very simple and very irrefutable math, showed how stupid it was to make that argument. It's all a big fat lie.

I'm not saying its Fair that there are billionaires, but they aren't any kind of viable solution to our big problems. Their collective wealth is a rounding error in the big picture. yet the left never stops obsessing with them. Because it sounds great, like Biden promising to cure cancer.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #87
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just when did I say nobody should be successful, I have learned that trickle down doesn't work and that paying off politicians can get you a lot better treatment.

Pass the Buffett Rule. The Buffett rule, inspired by billionaire Warren Buffett, would require millionaires to pay a minimum tax rate of 30%. This will guarantee that the wealthy will not pay a smaller share of their income in taxes than a middle-class family pays. It would raise $72 billion over 10 years.

Close the Wall Street carried interest loophole. Wealthy private equity managers use a loophole to pay the lower 23.8% capital gains tax rate on the compensation they receive for managing other people’s money. We should close this loophole so that they pay the same rate as others at their income level who receive their compensation as salary. This would raise $17 billion over 10 years.

The richest 1% pay an effective federal income tax rate of 24.7%. That is a little more than the 19.3% rate paid by someone making an average of $75,000. And 1 out of 5 millionaires pays a lower rate than someone making $50,000 to $100,000.

Conservatives claim that the estate tax is a “death tax,” wrongly implying that the tax is paid when every American dies. In fact, the tax primarily is paid by estates of multi-millionaires and billionaires. The vast majority of deaths — 99.9% — do not trigger estate taxes today.
"Just when did I say nobody should be successful"

I said, if they were less successful, who benefits?

No one benefits.

As to the Buffet rule, the problem is we differentiate (smartly in my opinion) between income and capital gains. Capital gains involves a lot of risk, you have to incentivize people to take that risk. Ordinary income and capital gains are two very different things, and wealthy people get a lot more from capital gains.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #88
scottw

Quote:
When I was 19, I heard the CT democrats saying if we could just take a little more from the wealthy, we could end poverty. It sounds so morally obvious, I registered as a democrat and couldn't believe anyone was opposed. Then one day, someone showed me the very simple and very irrefutable math, showed how stupid it was to make that argument. It's all a big fat lie.

I'm not saying its Fair that there are billionaires, but they aren't any kind of viable solution to our big problems. Their collective wealth is a rounding error in the big picture. yet the left never stops obsessing with them. Because it sounds great, like Biden promising to cure cancer.
yeah but don't you remember that guy McVeigh?
Old 09-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #89
spence

Quote:
I did the math, I looked at Walmart, if you took all of the CEOs annual compensation and gave it to the US workers, it worked out to around $35 per year. Big whoop.
It's much worse than that. If you took the yearly income of a part time greeter and distributed it evenly to every top store manager it would come out to roughly 1.43 dollars. This doesn't even make a dent in the problem.

Even worse, randomly divide by 5!!!!!
Old 09-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #90
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's much worse than that. If you took the yearly income of a part time greeter and distributed it evenly to every top store manager it would come out to roughly 1.43 dollars. This doesn't even make a dent in the problem.

Even worse, randomly divide by 5!!!!!
Spence, if we could make a dent in poverty by taxing the uber wealthy, I'd support it 100%. It doesn't work. It doesn't come close to working. You can't eliminate poverty by giving money to poor people. The lack of money isn't the cause of their problem, it's usually the symptom of the underlying problem.

Funny how your side never stops claiming it has a monopoly on caring for the poor, yet you oppose school choice? I could swear I've heard liberals describe themselves as being "pro choice" somewhere, I'm almost certain of it. It seems your advocacy of choice is rather selective, doesn't it?

Let the parents choose where that money is spent, and public schools would be ten times better in an hour.

Sadly, democrats can't go against their masters in the teachers unions, so those poor kids, disproportionately black, are stuck in failing sh-thole schools.