Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

gas furnace service and gas water heaters

do you guys service your gas furnaces yearly? i've done nothing to mine in the past 3 years.

what about water heaters. billerica has insane hard water and i've heard a lot of people water tanks rust out on the bottom in a short period of time (maybe 5 years?)
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Every spring drain the water tank and try to flush any sediment out. Figure every 2 years have your furnace maintained!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Piscator

change your funace filters often!

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
basswipe

Service your furnace EVERY year.It can be the differance between being just a regular joe or being a tragic house fire story on the news.

3yrs between servicing is 2yrs to long.You're literally playing with fire by not having it serviced every year.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Service your furnace EVERY year.It can be the differance between being just a regular joe or being a tragic house fire story on the news.

3yrs between servicing is 2yrs to long.You're literally playing with fire by not having it serviced every year.

really? a natural gas furnace?
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
really? a natural gas furnace?
Any type of furnace.ANY.Why take a chance,a simple inspection could reveal a major problem.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I am a licensed oil burner tech.....every 2 years is sufficient. Its like when they tell you change your vehicles oil every 3000 miles....every 5,000 is good enough! But hey...everyone has their own opinion so pick your fruit from the ripest part of the tree!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
5/0
Eels

Your water tank is just one of those appliances you just run till they brake,if you really have hard water and want to do preventative maintenance you can go to any plumbing supply house or on line a get a DE liming kit there pretty pricey.It i will come with a bucket a quart or two of de liming solution fittings and a pump.The other alternative you can manually drain your tank but I would purge it several times to brake up any scaling,you can also add cider vinegar to brake up deposits but make sure you flush it repeatedly!

As for your gas furnace I would recommend a yearly visual inspection(before the season starts)turn the heat up, look and listen for anything out of the ordinary.If you can't fix it yourself call around to different HVAC Co's.Talk with them and decide which one you want to do business with, have them come preform a PM,this will be cheaper than getting hit with a service call.
First off I would look for basic sequence of operation first stage, draft inducer and cooling wheel operating with out major squeaks second stage make sure the silicon carbide or silicon nitride igniter(or standing pilot is lit) is working and that there aren't any white fracture lines on it(do not touch this part)It will over heat from the grease/oils on your fingers.Most design temps are 1200 degrees,look at the flame sensing rod make sure it's not black and pitted you want a nice polished look to it so it can send a grounding current back to the gas valve,after the unit fires up make sure the limit switches are operational, pull off one of the hose's to the switches make sure the unit turns off,check for (IBM)main blower comes on in 30-120 seconds after the burners lite up.

Change your filter regularly,(if your lazy buy the cheap three pack fiber glass filters) if the filter gets packed from debris, pet fur or just old, air flow will be restricted and can cause the high limit to trip,most units will reset and try three times, after the third failure the unit will lock out on limit for 1 hr.and then repeat.

Stay warm!!!!

Last edited by 5/0; 01-31-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Redsoxticket

5/0, what is a PM ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Redsoxticket

Never mind figured it out

Preventative Maintenance
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
5/0
Eels

There's allot more to know,if your furnace is a condensing unit you gotta check the drain lines,if the internal trap gets clogged with dust and dirt from time related or even environment this can cause a back pressure on the draft inducer and cause a safety switch to open.The fault code is usually "blocked flue" ect.....

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote