Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #31
wdmso

Seven students are suing a Texas school district over its dress-code policy banning boys from having long hair.
School officials suspended a 9-year-old boy for a month, barred him from recess and normal lunch breaks as punishment for long hair, the lawsuit claims.

FREEDOM!!!!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #32
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You guys do realize he just posts stuff like this to make money off of right wing sites right?
Spence the truth is not allowed when talking about right wing YouTube stars

It’s all about small government and Freedom …. Never about the money
Old 10-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #33
Pete F.
Canceled

Biden brings down Trump’s record-setting deficit by $360 billion in one year.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #34
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy.

The person you are quoting here (and not giving him credit for it) is applying the general denotational aspect of the word "conservatism" (a conservation of something) to an aristocratic society. And so, if a society is being dominated by an aristocracy, "conservatism" would conserve that domination.

Conservatism is incompatible with democracy, prosperity, and civilization in general. It is a destructive system of inequality and prejudice that is founded on deception and has no place in the modern world.

Here he narrows the definition into a specific political label. The problem with applying this to his aforementioned "aristocracy" is that not all political systems are aristocracies. So, in those that aren't, "conservatism" would not conserve the domination of an aristocracy.

If the political system were a "democracy" (whatever he means by that) then "conservatism" would conserve a "democracy." Ergo, I presume, he would not consider it "destructive" and it would have a place in his notion of the "modern world."

For thousands of years, conservatism was universally understood as being in opposition to democracy. Having lost much of its ability to attack democracy openly, conservatism has tried in recent years to redefine the word "democracy" while engaging in deception to make the substance of democracy unthinkable.

Here he is transporting the political labels "conservatism" and "democracy" via wdmso's time machine into "thousands of years" ago where his current, mostly undefined, notion of what they mean did not exist. And back into a time when there was no universal understanding.

And he speaks of this thousands of years old "conservatism" attacking "democracy." But doesn't really define either. In fact, somewhere in the long essay from which you quote, he says something to the effect that democracy has not yet been fully realized and that we are still striving to grow a democratic culture. He doesn't say how conservatism has tried to redefine the word democracy--but how do you redefine something that is still in progress?

Almost all of the early immigrants to America left behind societies that had been oppressed by conservatism. The democratic culture that Americans have built is truly one of the monuments of civilization. And American culture remains vibrant to this day despite centuries of conservative attack.
Philip E. Agre, whom you are quoting (without the proper attribution) can't seem to wrap his mind around the notion that American "conservatism" as it expresses itself is all about preserving that monument of civilization rather than attacking it for "centuries."

He doesn't get that American so-called "conservatism" is not the same as European conservatism. Nor the same as his reputed thousands of years of what he calls conservatism dating, presumably, back to the pharaohs, or maybe even before that.

The reason I don't like to use the term "conservative" and usually put it in quotes when I do, is because it is more a vague political label that means different things to different people. Usually, the context, tells what it is supposed to mean. But it is not a useful political term when speaking in general or "universal" contexts, such as how Agre did in the essay you were quoting from.

And, BTW, that essay was written 17 years ago, and the Democrat party was still evolving then and has done so precipitously since then into the authoritarians that would not fit Agre's notion of "liberal" nor even, I presume (since I don't know exactly what he means by the word), his idea of "democratic." The present Democrat party would, in many respects, fit Agre's notion of "conservatism." Glenn Greenwald has been pointing that out over the past five or so years. And I believe Greenwald would pretty much agree with most of Agre's ideas on creating a democratic culture.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:06 PM   #35
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Another one who can’t understand the word suggest . So what was Jim suggesting

He wasn’t suggesting liberals don’t go to church
Old 10-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #36
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
You’ve always been a mind reader 😂
Old 10-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
i wasn’t, but i could have been. we. cant agree that liberals are less faithful than observations? conservatives aren’t more religious?

doesn’t mean no liberals go to church, but conservatives are much more serious about religion. duh.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 10-23-2021 at 09:25 AM..
Old 10-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #38
detbuch

Quote:
Seven students are suing a Texas school district over its dress-code policy banning boys from having long hair.
School officials suspended a 9-year-old boy for a month, barred him from recess and normal lunch breaks as punishment for long hair, the lawsuit claims.

FREEDOM!!!!!
We have compulsory education for children between a range of ages between 5-16. Under current law, they are not FREE to begin with. And within various districts various codes of conduct or acceptable behavior are enforced. All of this is a result of "democracy." The majority has decided it to be so. FREEDOM and democracy are not synonymous. "Our Democracy" provides for the majority in given districts to require certain conduct in the schools.

I'm guessing you want us to be a "democracy." If the majority continues to give districts the power to require appropriate conduct, as well as the power to teach things that various parents think is harmful to their children, "our democracy" will empower schools to do so.

We still have access to redress and relief in the court system. But that has become increasingly shaky, depending on how judges feel or "interpret."
Old 10-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #39
Jim in CT

Quote:

FREEDOM!!!!!
did anyone ever say that republicans want no laws/rules? You're responding to something that no one ever said.

I've never actually heard anyone deny that conservatives want fewer impositions on individual liberty (overall...not on every single individual issue) than liberals. You're making history here Wayne, you're denying that conservatives want smaller (but not zero) government intrusion into our lives.

In the last few days, you have refused to accept the NSBAs admission that they lied in their letter to Biden. In the same sentence, you have accused conservatives of both doing nothing, and of banning everything. Now you're saying (I think? It's hard to follow) conservatives want the government to control every aspect of what we wear, and how we wear our hair? One school district in TX, speaks for all of the conservatives in the country?

You think it's fair to take one extreme example, and apply that to all conservatives? Does the Loudon County school boars speak for you? When they explicitly lied to cover up a rape in school (We now know for a fact that's exactly what happened), does that say anything about all democrats? Can I use your logic, and say that therefore you are in favor of protecting rapists?

Wayne, how about we hold people accountable for what they say and do, not blame people for what others say and do?

If you refuse to take off the tin foil hat, at least loosen the straps a little.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #40
scottw

good grief...

According to its dress code policy, boys cannot wear their hair over their eyes, past the bottom of their ears, or past the bottom of a dress shirt collar.

The suit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas (ACLU) on Thursday on behalf of the students, argues the school district "imposed immense and irreparable harm... solely because of these students' gender".

I wonder if the ACLU is suing the Loudoun school district for allowing a gender confused boy to rape a couple of girls in their girl's bathrooms and then cover it up because that seems to me to be more "immense and irreparable" harm than a haircut....
Old 10-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
good grief...

According to its dress code policy, boys cannot wear their hair over their eyes, past the bottom of their ears, or past the bottom of a dress shirt collar.

The suit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas (ACLU) on Thursday on behalf of the students, argues the school district "imposed immense and irreparable harm... solely because of these students' gender".

I wonder if the ACLU is suing the Loudoun school district for allowing a gender confused boy to rape a couple of girls in their girl's bathrooms and then cover it up because that seems to me to be more "immense and irreparable" harm than a haircut....
At a BOE meeting, the superintendent of Loudon county schools said he had no record of any assault in his schools. Then an email surfaced that he sent a week before that meeting, where he alerted some school employees to the rape. So we now know for an absolute certainty that he lied to the father of the victim at a public meeting. And he's still the superintendent. Still collecting a huge salary, funded by taxpayers like the victims father. You cannot make that up. He covered up a rape.

This is precisely how Trump got elected. The left is too stupid to see it, unless their plan is actually to get the right so angry that they nominate Trump again. In which case it's brilliant.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #42
wdmso

Quote:
good grief...

The Loudoun County sheriff’s office has confirmed the facts of this story too, but the suspect’s name is not yet public because he is a juvenile.

So not seeing the cover up

Don’t forget the Afghan rapist start yelling send them back

Anything for outrage ….suggesting it’s rampant Keep it up
Old 10-25-2021, 10:07 AM   #43
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
At a BOE meeting, the superintendent of Loudon county schools said he had no record of any assault in his schools. Then an email surfaced that he sent a week before that meeting, where he alerted some school employees to the rape. So we now know for an absolute certainty that he lied to the father of the victim at a public meeting. And he's still the superintendent. Still collecting a huge salary, funded by taxpayers like the victims father. You cannot make that up. He covered up a rape.

This is precisely how Trump got elected. The left is too stupid to see it, unless their plan is actually to get the right so angry that they nominate Trump again. In which case it's brilliant.
Jim they were minors there are laws
But you only want them followed when you agree with them .

I got it. Ps Trump wasn’t re elected was he ..

Trumps a seditious traitor but keep supporting him
Old 10-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
But you only want them followed when you agree with them .

I got it. Ps Trump wasn’t re elected was he ..

Trumps a seditious traitor but keep supporting him
you are about as dense as it gets.

if the superintendent said “there are minors involved, so i can’t comment on it”, that’s one thing. that’s not what he said. he denied having any knowledge that any assault took place, and said that the alleged bathroom rapist “does not exist,”

you can’t see what’s right in front of you, unless it paints liberalism favorably, can you?

seriously, are you really this dense? or are you just messing with me?

Read. What. He. Said.

Again, this superintendent, who we all know is a liberal, made a disgusting public lie. you’re mad at that. don’t take that out on me, your beef is with him. he covered up a rape, not me.

they also just sent the rapist to another school without telling them what he did. so he promptly assaulted another girl.

that county is a hot mess, and it’s blue. and it’s a perfect example of why it appears for now at least, that a reliably blue state has a close race for governor. this has no business being a close race, but liberals there are acting like they’re trying to help the republicans win.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #45
wdmso

Trump Hits Fox for Running Pro-Democrat Ads

Former President Donald Trump on Sunday slammed Fox News for running commercials that are critical of him while guests and hosts say positive things about him and his ideas.

"What good is it if FOX News speaks well of me when they continually allow horrible and untruthful anti-Trump commercials to be run — and plenty of them," Trump said in a statement released through his Save America PAC.

But he’s not he’s not an authoritarian ! Keep those head firmly planted in the sand
Old 10-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trump Hits Fox for Running Pro-Democrat Ads

Former President Donald Trump on Sunday slammed Fox News for running commercials that are critical of him while guests and hosts say positive things about him and his ideas.

"What good is it if FOX News speaks well of me when they continually allow horrible and untruthful anti-Trump commercials to be run — and plenty of them," Trump said in a statement released through his Save America PAC.

But he’s not he’s not an authoritarian ! Keep those head firmly planted in the sand
so anyone who expresses an opinion, juvenile though it may be, is an authoritarian.

no fascist dictator would let cnn and msnbc talk about him, they way he let them talk about him.

you lose. again.

trump is a lot of bad things. he’s obviously no authoritarian who tries to shut down unfriendly media.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #47
Jim in CT

wayne, oil way up again. going to $100 without a doubt. its all trumps fault.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #48
scottw

Quote:

Quote:

wait till he figures out that there are laws against rape
Old 10-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
Quote:

wait till he figures out that there are laws against rape
it’s ok to say there was no rape, because the rapist was a minor. that’s what he’s saying. brilliant.

a political disaster for them.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #50
Pete F.
Canceled

If you’re an evangelical, prayer cures all.

Liberty University, founded by Jerry Falwell, threatened to punish students who reported being raped.

An official told us he was just fired for raising concerns. He called it “conspiracy of silence.”
https://www.propublica.org/article/t...exual-assaults
Old 10-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #51
wdmso

Quote:
so anyone who expresses an opinion, juvenile though it may be, is an authoritarian.

no fascist dictator would let cnn and msnbc talk about him, they way he let them talk about him.

you lose. again.

trump is a lot of bad things. he’s obviously no authoritarian who tries to shut down unfriendly media.

once again your more upset at a random person

than the former POTUS past and current words and statements

he's just juvenile
Old 10-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #52
wdmso

Quote:

if the superintendent said “there are minors involved, so i can’t comment on it”, that’s one thing. that’s not what he said. he denied having any knowledge that any assault took place, and said that the alleged bathroom rapist “does not exist,”

you can’t see what’s right in front of you, unless it paints liberalism favorably, can you?

seriously, are you really this dense? or are you just messing with me?

Read. What. He. Said.

Again, this superintendent, who we all know is a liberal, made a disgusting public lie. you’re mad at that. don’t take that out on me, your beef is with him. he covered up a rape, not me.

they also just sent the rapist to another school without telling them what he did. so he promptly assaulted another girl.

that county is a hot mess, and it’s blue. and it’s a perfect example of why it appears for now at least, that a reliably blue state has a close race for governor. this has no business being a close race, but liberals there are acting like they’re trying to help the republicans win.

not sure why everything you post is some grand conspiracy tied to the NSBA letter ? because let be clear this is the driving reason this story in a google search shows Right-wing figures and media outlets have seized on Smith’s allegations as proof that allowing transgender students to use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity is dangerous.

Dan Crenshaw
Do you get it now? Keep men out of women’s bathrooms. I can’t believe this story. It’s heartbreaking.

Parents: don’t stop. Keep up the fight.

Just like the alleged Rape in Montana by a 19 year old afghan on a 18 year old

The governor, along with U.S. Rep. Matt Rosendale, is calling for a re-evaluation of the vetting process before resettlement efforts can be continued in Montana.

halt the placement of refugees here until they can assure us that the people that are being placed -- our allies have been fully vetted,”

vetted people cant commit crimes

Rape isn't a political position

maybe someone Republicans should be reminded of that . because they are doing a hell of job making it one
Old 10-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #53
Jim in CT

wayne, not everything is a grand conspiracy.

but not everything is as you say, either.

a girl was raped.

then the superintendent emailed school staff informing them of the rape.

then at a boe meeting, he said he saw no information that a rape had happened.

i say he lied.

you say he was bound to say that because of laws regarding minors

one of us has this right, the other one is a lunatic who will grasp
any straw to keep his side from looking bad.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #54
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
If you’re an evangelical, prayer cures all.

Liberty University, founded by Jerry Falwell, threatened to punish students who reported being raped.

An official told us he was just fired for raising concerns. He called it “conspiracy of silence.”
https://www.propublica.org/article/t...exual-assaults
By Jim’s measure, all evangelicals are bad.
But remember the mantra: right wing good, Democrats bad

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #55
Pete F.
Canceled

Congratulations to greewald, whose appearance on Tucker Carlson led Philip Weisbecker to incriminate himself.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:26 PM   #56
detbuch

Quote:
Congratulations to greewald, whose appearance on Tucker Carlson led Philip Weisbecker to incriminate himself.
He's not always right, but he's often good at exposing the truth. Apparently, re Weisbecker, he can do it without even trying. He even causes you to make up stupid and obvious lies about him, exposing what a fraud you are.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-25-2021 at 11:34 PM..
Old 10-26-2021, 01:34 AM   #57
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
He's not always right, but he's often good at exposing the truth. Apparently, re Weisbecker, he can do it without even trying. He even causes you to make up stupid and obvious lies about him, exposing what a fraud you are.
When the bots come after me, that’s when I know I’m doing it right.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-26-2021, 05:44 AM   #58
wdmso

Quote:
wayne, not everything is a grand conspiracy.

Then why does the right attempt to present them as such ?

So far this incident is seen as Dems being authoritarian , NSBA letter calling parents domestic terrorist , some morphed into Garland kids and CRT payback , and Transgenders are dangerous be afraid .

Yet anything related to Jan 6th Trumps continuous attacks against the election , claiming privileges he does not have , via lawsuits and his people refusing to testify in front of the committee. Get supported from the right

But this school superintendent is enemy number 1 and Alex Baldwin is enemy #2 because of his impersonating Trump.

The oldest Trump son, Donald Jr., is hawking $27.99 T-shirts on his official site with the mocking slogan: “Guns don’t kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people.

Seems the apple doesn’t fall far from the Tree .. and many in the MAGA cult see this as strength..

It’s all to predictable
Old 10-26-2021, 06:36 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
Then why does the right attempt to present them as such ?

So far this incident is seen as Dems being authoritarian , NSBA letter calling parents domestic terrorist , some morphed into Garland kids and CRT payback , and Transgenders are dangerous be afraid .

Yet anything related to Jan 6th Trumps continuous attacks against the election , claiming privileges he does not have , via lawsuits and his people refusing to testify in front of the committee. Get supported from the right

But this school superintendent is enemy number 1 and Alex Baldwin is enemy #2 because of his impersonating Trump.

The oldest Trump son, Donald Jr., is hawking $27.99 T-shirts on his official site with the mocking slogan: “Guns don’t kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people.

Seems the apple doesn’t fall far from the Tree .. and many in the MAGA cult see this as strength..

It’s all to predictable
i don’t think anyone said the superintendent is public enemy #1.

wayne, did the superintendent lie at a public meeting about the rape at one of his schools? yes or no?
Old 10-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #60
wdmso

Quote:
i don’t think anyone said the superintendent is public enemy #1.

wayne, did the superintendent lie at a public meeting about the rape at one of his schools? yes or no?

Jim if you read conservatives websites and comments on news sites the message is clear

Republican Glenn Youngkin is highlighting cases of alleged sex crimes in schools to help repair the GOP's standing in the Virginia suburbs, where educated moms and dads have turned against Donald Trump’s Republican Party.

What other tragedy awaits Virginia’s children?” an atypically grim-faced Youngkin asked from the podium, flanked by a collection of parents and schoolchildren.

Yep the the party of fear hard at work