Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
crash
Professional dumba$$

Loomis Blanks

Looking to build my first rod, got the book, done a ton of reading, searched, etc. I've just never handled most of the blanks. I've handled Loomis factory rods in the past and like the weight, and they seem a little less expensive than the Lami's I've run across, so I'm strongly leaning toward a Loomis surf rod. The blanks I'm looking at are the su1324-gl2(11', MH, 1/2-3 oz), and the su1266-gl2(10'6", H, 1-5oz).

The rod will be wrapped conventional, probably with a slosh 20, and its main use will be 1-3 oz plugs, occasionally at the canal, sometimes other places, but I will need a rod with some guts since I fish tough areas. I have another 4-8 oz set up, and am looking to throw my smaller stuff. I'm a boat guy so my surf gear is limited, but I find myself drawn to the surf more and more.

I'm leaning more towards the su1266 at this point, do you think its the right way to go, any better options? Needs to be 2 piece, and the rainshadows seem to jump from 1-1 1/2oz to 2-5oz in a 2 piece. Are the Loomis blanks any more durable than others? How is the castability and fish fighting ability?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated, I want my first rod to be something I can enjoy for a long time, and I'm willing to put in the time to get it right.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Pete_G

I'd take a good look at what most of your plugs/bucktails weigh before choosing one of those 2 Loomis rods.

The 1324 will struggle to throw 3 ounces in most people's hands. It's sweet spot is approximately 1.5 ounces. It could throw 3, but it's not going to like it. The 1266 is very different and it's sweet spot might be 2.5 ounces. You're not going to feel it load much with 1 ounce though.

Modern Loomis surf rods are fairly durable. You'll hear some who say they're fragile; make sure they're not just rehashing the old info. When the current Loomis surf rods came out a LONG time ago (a decade maybe?) Loomis had too much graphite in the tips and breakage was common. Surfcasters are notorious for high sticking. A year or so later Loomis threw some more fiberglass into the tip and they've been tough, strong sticks ever since.

That said, I'd almost look at other brands of surf sticks. I don't know if either of those rods will do exactly what you want. There's a new Lami Super Surf Series that has a real nice 9 footer that may do exactly what you want. If they make the same taper in a 10 I'd take a serious look at that.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
crash
Professional dumba$$

Thanks for the reply, I understand what your saying. I need a rod with a sweet spot a little under 2oz, than can throw 1 and can throw 3-3.5, without any worry of breaking. It also needs to be able to fight a decent fish, one of my spots has some pilings and sometimes ya gotta throw on the brakes, but I do understand that there is a compromise between casting light plugs and being able to fight a big fish. 25lbs is a big fish for me from shore, not an issue with my heaver, I've never used lighter rods in the surf, and am concerned about breakage. I'm open to any brand, but I have to built it myself cause my arms are short, and I could use a winter project.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Nebe

get yourself a lamiglass gsb 1201-L and cut 4 inches off the tip. trust me
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Saltheart

The 1266 loomis is a great rod for 2 to 4 OZ. best at about 3. It is poor at 1 despite its rating.

The Lami 120-1L is a good all around rod and should handle your 1 to 3.5 no problem. I wouldn't cut it as that voids your warrantee.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote