Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #31
Scuttlebutt
Guess what...

Quote:
The only reason various parts of the world tolerate the US is the many the BILLIONS & BILLIONS of $$$$$ the US "donates" every year to those countries. Let's start withholding those $$ for use at home or truly friendly allies.
Much of the funding is for FMF and FMS programs (Foreign Military Funding and Foreign Military Spending). These are US taxpayer dollars given to mostly Israel and Egypt. This money must be spent back in the US and is mostly for military/communications gear. I think these "investments" attempt to keep the Arabs and Jews from killing one another and to a lesser degree, provide us a "listening post" in various regions of the middle east. For example, Iraq and Afghanistan...guess who's in the middle? Our buddy...Mahmoud Imanutjob. The unfortunate part is sometimes these "investments" don't pan out so well....
Old 09-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #32
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Seriously - you'd want to send our President into an area where Americans who were bravely serving our country were just killed?

I agree - the Christian Right had to know that this would inflame tensions in the Muslim world and w/Romney's low poll numbers maybe they thought some dead Americans would help Romney's poll numbers - sad to have that type of thinking.

Sorry, I must have failed to make it clear: I was talking about Obama!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #33
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Sorry, I must have failed to make it clear: I was talking about Obama!
That was clear, all except the part about the low poll numbers. They may not be through the roof, but they are the higher of the two candidates as of this point.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
That was clear, all except the part about the low poll numbers. They may not be through the roof, but they are the higher of the two candidates as of this point.
Not according to Rasmussen, whose poll was the most accurate in the 2008 election. Today, Rasmussen has Romney up 48-45.

It saddens me that Obama is polling above 10%. Add $5 trillion to the debt, and he has higher unemployment to show for it. How much more of a failure can one be on the economy?

But Zimmy is right, most polls have Obama ahead. However, from what I have seen, if you read the fine print in most of those polls, they sample more Democrats than Republicans.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #35
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
One of the dead was a former Navy SEAL, raised in Winchester, with family now in Woburn. RIP warrior, and prayers for the family.
I was aftaid of this, but needed to confirm... It was the son of a fraternity brother. He was also the sniper in the rescue of the Maersk Alabama captain off Somalia. Keep the Doherty family in your thoughts.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #36
spence

Romney accuses Obama of 'mixed messages' following Libya attacks - latimes.com

This is pathetic.

-spence
Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #37
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well he certainly has the spotlight now
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
Spence, Obama clearly sympathized with those offended by an insignificant video on youtube...(as an aside, Obama takes a million bucks from Bill Maher, who offends Catholics every day, so Obama is apparently on board with Catholic-bashing, but not Muslim-bashing). Many Americans don't feel that an insulting video is just cause for mass murder, and we don't like our President implying that there are 2 sides to this story. Because there aren't.

The administration is bumbling through this. Obama specifically says Egypt is not an ally, his State Departmenmt contradicts this.

Obama's response to this has not exactly been inspirational. Romney is free to criticize him for that, just as then-candidate Obama bashed Bush for mis-handling Iraq.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #39
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
just as then-candidate Obama bashed Bush for mis-handling Iraq.

and everything else under the sun

'mixed messages' is an understatement
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
and everything else under the sun

'mixed messages' is an understatement
You're darn right it's an understatement. And the entire media is criticizing Romney for having the hutzpah to be critical of the Messiah. As if candidate Obama never said anything negative about Bush or Hilary or McCain.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds, and they literally have no shame.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #41
spence

Quote:
Spence, Obama clearly sympathized with those offended by an insignificant video on youtube...
Jim, this is the fundamental problem with your thinking.

It didn't happen.

During the day on Tuesday the embassy in Cairo independently put out a statement condemning the video before any violence began.

That night, Romney issues an embargoed statement (to be released after the 9/11 truce ironically enough) attacking the administration with "It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks,".

Before the Romeny's backwards statement was even issued to the press, the Whitehouse had already disavowed the embassy comment. The attack on Obama by Romney and the GOP is either grossly inept or worse an intentional manipulation of an event where Americans serving their country have died.

And on 9/11 of all days

How you can't see that as anything but shameful is beyond me.

-spence
Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
I was aftaid of this, but needed to confirm... It was the son of a fraternity brother. He was also the sniper in the rescue of the Maersk Alabama captain off Somalia. Keep the Doherty family in your thoughts.
I'm so sorry. We worked with SEALs a few times, you have to see those guys in person to appreciate how good they are. They are world-class warriors. I promise you he has been rewarded with a very special spot in what is a very special place. May God's love help the family through this time.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim, this is the fundamental problem with your thinking.

It didn't happen.

During the day on Tuesday the embassy in Cairo independently put out a statement condemning the video before any violence began.

That night, Romney issues an embargoed statement (to be released after the 9/11 truce ironically enough) attacking the administration with "It's disgraceful that the Obama Administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks,".

Before the Romeny's backwards statement was even issued to the press, the Whitehouse had already disavowed the embassy comment. Obama by RomneyThe attack on and the GOP is either grossly inept or worse an intentional manipulation of an event where Americans serving their country have died.

And on 9/11 of all days

How you can't see that as anything but shameful is beyond me.

-spence
"It didn't happen."

Sure it did. I saw a stament that both expressed sympathy for the hurt feelings caused by the video, and also said that wasn't justification for the attack.

Spence, even if the attack never happened, Obama shouldn't be commenting on that video. If Obama doesn't like the anti-Islamic views in that video, why does he pal around with libs who say hateful things about Christianity? Like saying we've declared war on women?

"The attack on Obama by Romney"

I see. When Obama criticizes someone, that's OK. When we criticize him, it's an attack, is that right?

I don't want to keep you from your Kool Aid stand anymore.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #44
Nebe

Politics disgusts me lately.. All sides disgust me. Both parties would rather point fingers at eachother and kick the issues that need to be fixed down the road to the next guy and then blame everyone else for our problems. Just the notion that this event is being used to prove political points is disgusting.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #45
spence

Quote:
Sure it did. I saw a stament that both expressed sympathy for the hurt feelings caused by the video, and also said that wasn't justification for the attack.
Please show me where Obama expresses sympathy for those hurt by the video. If you saw it it should be easy to find.

Quote:
Spence, even if the attack never happened, Obama shouldn't be commenting on that video. If Obama doesn't like the anti-Islamic views in that video, why does he pal around with libs who say hateful things about Christianity? Like saying we've declared war on women?
Please provide a link where Obama is commenting on the video.

Quote:
I see. When Obama criticizes someone, that's OK. When we criticize him, it's an attack, is that right?
No, I'm saying that your criticism is based on a flawed understanding of the facts.

You do like facts right?

-spence
Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #46
basswipe

Btw the man who made the video was detained and questioned by police.Why?When did the right to free speech require detention and questioning?

Also Obama called the man reckless and irresponsible and such behaviour should be monitored and curtailed.He really did.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Btw the man who made the video was detained and questioned by police.Why?When did the right to free speech require detention and questioning?
Because he's on probation after pleading no contest to federal identity theft charges. There appears to be a chance he's violated his parole.

Quote:
Also Obama called the man reckless and irresponsible and such behaviour should be monitored and curtailed.He really did.
Again, I'd like to see exactly what he said.

-spence
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #48
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
So this is how Obama protects American lives, he only attends %50 of daily intelligent meetings. Instead he reads the briefs, with the last meeting he attended leading upto 9/11 was 9/5.
Oh that's right, I forgot how intelligent he is. Guess he forgot that truly intelligent people realize how much they don't know and depend on others to interact with, to question and learn more from.
It's posts like this that really illustrate how bad a read people have on Obama.

National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor:

Quote:
The President is among the most sophisticated consumers of intelligence on the planet. He receives and reads his [Presidential Daily Brief] every day, and most days when he’s at the White House receives a briefing in person. When necessary he probes the arguments, requests more information or seeks alternate analysis. Sometimes that’s via a written assessment and other times it’s in person. {…}

Marc basically wrote a story culled from our public schedule that shows how Marc’s old boss, President Bush, structured his day differently than President Obama. Not exactly breaking news to anyone who has covered this place for the last few years.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #49
zimmy

Quote:
Not according to Rasmussen, whose poll was the most accurate in the 2008 election. Today, Rasmussen has Romney up 48-45.

It saddens me that Obama is polling above 10%. Add $5 trillion to the debt, and he has higher unemployment to show for it. How much more of a failure can one be on the economy?

But Zimmy is right, most polls have Obama ahead. However, from what I have seen, if you read the fine print in most of those polls, they sample more Democrats than Republicans.
Jim, you know it is the electoral college that matters. Polls don't mean much at this point. However, you are right about the accuracy of rasmussen and it's polls put Obama at about 310 electoral votes;safely 246, plus in the toss ups he is up in Ohio, Florida, Va, and tied in CO. He's not the one worried by the polls, as was implied in an earlier post.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #50
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I also read somewhere that he was involved in the rescue of Jessica Lynch as well

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #51
Jim in CT

Quote:
Please show me where Obama expresses sympathy for those hurt by the video. If you saw it it should be easy to find.

Please provide a link where Obama is commenting on the video.

No, I'm saying that your criticism is based on a flawed understanding of the facts.

You do like facts right?

-spence
"You do like facts right?"

I do. Interesting that you, who deny that Michelle Obama said she wasn't proud of the US until Barack got the nomination, are now consumed with what's fact and what is not. Interesting.

"Please provide a link where Obama is commenting on the video."

Obama vows to 'bring justice' to killers in US Embassy attack in Libya | Fox News

"While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants," Obama said.

Good enough? There is Obama commenting on the video. OK? Satisfied?

I responded to your question directly. Perhaps you can respond to one of mine, and here it is...

If Obama is sincere in that he "rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others", why does Obama's PAC (run by Obama pal Bill Burton) take $1 million from Bill Maher, who bashes Christianity every night? Why does Obama surround himself with staffers and friends in the media who relentlessly bash Catholics? Why did the Democratic convention feature one fanatical feminist after another who lied about some war on women? That was clearly a direct response to the Catholic Church's request that they not have to abandon deeply held religious beliefs, for the sake of a liberal pet project. Isn't that a wee bit hypocritical, Spence?

Spence, when you deal with me, you would do well to keep in mind that everyhting I believe is based on facts and common sense. Unlike you, I'm not blindly devoted to one side.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #52
scottw

Quote:
It didn't happen.

During the day on Tuesday(9-11) the embassy in Cairo independently put out a statement condemning the video before any violence began.

-spence
this is comical....I guess the buck stops over there

let's see

unaffiliated "independent" mystery embassy statement-

“[B]The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims — as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.” So declared the Obama State Department in a statement issued on the website of its Egyptian embassy

Obama statement-

"While the United States rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, we must all unequivocally oppose the kind of senseless violence that took the lives of these public servants," Obama said.

this seems a bit backward to me, Obama has, and many of his most ardent supporters routinely denigrate the religious beliefs of others, it's practically a sport with many on the "intellectual left"....I don't recall any opposition or apologies.....

the second part of the statement is what should have been first.... senselessly murdering someone or burning buildings because someone on the other side of the planet offended your sensibilities would seem to be the logical object of your scorn...wouldn't it? I don't think the first and the second deserve equal treatment...not even close

Last edited by scottw; 09-16-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:

let's see

“[B]The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims — as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions.” So declared the Obama State Department in a statement issued on the website of its Egyptian embassy

Obama statement-

this seems a bit backward to me, Obama has, and many of his most ardent supporters routinely denigrate the religious beliefs of others, it's practically a sport with many on the "intellectual left"....I don't recall any opposition or apologies.....

the second part of the statement is what should have been first.... senselessly murdering someone or burning buildings because someone on the other side of the planet offended your sensibilities would seem to be the logical object of your scorn...wouldn't it? I don't think the first and the second deserve equal treatment...not even close
Damn right.

(1) I have never heard Obama chastise his fellow liberals for bashing Christianity. These people hate Catholics, and they make no secret about it. But since Catholics have not been anointed with "victim" status by liberals, it is therefore acceptable to attack Catholics at every available moment. SInce Muslims have been anointed with "victim" status by the left, they are a protected species.

(2) as for Obama's statement...the only reference to the youtube video should have been a statement that Muslims, like everyone else, need to accept the unfortunate reality that there are jerks out there, and even jerks have the right to free speech.

I cannot wait to hear Spence's "response" to this...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #54
scottw

and it doesn't appear as though the initial "independent" statement nor the reworded statement were very effective
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #55
spence

Quote:
I do. Interesting that you, who deny that Michelle Obama said she wasn't proud of the US until Barack got the nomination, are now consumed with what's fact and what is not. Interesting.
It's called critical thought, they teach it in grade school.

Quote:

Good enough? There is Obama commenting on the video. OK? Satisfied?
He's not talking directly about the video here, he's talking in general terms about the senseless denigration of religion and violence. It's an indirect comment at best, prompted by the video but not direct judgement.

Quote:
If Obama is sincere in that he "rejects efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others", why does Obama's PAC (run by Obama pal Bill Burton) take $1 million from Bill Maher, who bashes Christianity every night? Why does Obama surround himself with staffers and friends in the media who relentlessly bash Catholics?
Maher is critical of all organized religions. His ire for Catholics is largely fueled by an organized tolerance of pedophilia. He's plenty harsh on fundamentalist Islam as well.

It would be intellectually dishonest to claim parity with the "Innocence of Muslims" move that started all this. It was intended only to insult, denigrate and provoke a negative response. From what I understand there isn't a single constructive element to it and even the actors were misled as to it's purpose.

Quote:
Why did the Democratic convention feature one fanatical feminist after another who lied about some war on women? That was clearly a direct response to the Catholic Church's request that they not have to abandon deeply held religious beliefs, for the sake of a liberal pet project. Isn't that a wee bit hypocritical, Spence?
Perhaps because you're so consumed with hate you don't see things clearly. You see a "liberal pet project" while others see preventative care to improve women's health.

-spence
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #56
spence

Quote:

let's see

I'm not aware of any issuance by the State Department using the words "feelings of Muslims".

What you have is a right wing media trying to manipulate an unfortunate situation through confusion for political gain. I'm not sure what's worse, those who knowingly manipulate or those who see it and knowingly pass it along.

Sad.

-spence
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #57
scottw

Quote:
I'm not aware of any issuance by the State Department using the words "feelings of Muslims".

What you have is a right wing media trying to manipulate an unfortunate situation through confusion for political gain. I'm not sure what's worse, those who knowingly manipulate or those who see it and knowingly pass it along.

Sad.

-spence
Cairo protesters scale U.S. Embassy wall, remove flag

After the protest, the U.S. Embassy issued this statement on its website:

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims â?? as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of other
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #58
spence

Quote:
Cairo protesters scale U.S. Embassy wall, remove flag

After the protest, the U.S. Embassy issued this statement on its website:

The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims â?? as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of other
It's a matter of record that the statement was put out 6 hours before the attack by embassy staff alone. I've never read that it was reissued and would suspect the article you quote is in error as it is four days old.

The first actual Administration response by the State Department came later by Clinton:

Quote:
“I condemn in the strongest terms the attack on our mission in Benghazi today,” Clinton said, confirming the death of a consulate diplomat. “Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.”
I'm sure you'll be happy to see she has the elements in the right sequence.

-spence
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #59
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Damn right.

(1) I have never heard Obama chastise his fellow liberals for bashing Christianity. These people hate Catholics, and they make no secret about it.
See you see hatred in things like the health services bill. I see a policy that doesn't require members to violate their personal beliefs by taking advantage of contraceptives (which largely should reduce unwanted pregnancies, and the potential number of abortions, no?), but lets those who may work in a Catholic hospital/school who may not have the same fervent belief's in the churches stance on contraceptives.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
It's called critical thought, they teach it in grade school.

He's not talking directly about the video here, he's talking in general terms about the senseless denigration of religion and violence. It's an indirect comment at best, prompted by the video but not direct judgement.

Maher is critical of all organized religions. His ire for Catholics is largely fueled by an organized tolerance of pedophilia. He's plenty harsh on fundamentalist Islam as well.

It would be intellectually dishonest to claim parity with the "Innocence of Muslims" move that started all this. It was intended only to insult, denigrate and provoke a negative response. From what I understand there isn't a single constructive element to it and even the actors were misled as to it's purpose.

Perhaps because you're so consumed with hate you don't see things clearly. You see a "liberal pet project" while others see preventative care to improve women's health.

-spence
"It's called critical thought, they teach it in grade school."

Spence, you denied something that irrefitably happened (Michelle Obama's statement). Denying that something happened, when it clearly did happen, is not 'critical thought'. I don;t know what it is exactly (ask a psychiatrist about that), but it's not 'critical thought'. I don't think they taught you in grade school to deny facts which don't serve your agenda.

"He's not talking directly about the video here, he's talking in general terms about the senseless denigration of religion and violence"

Seriously? That's your response? How could you possibly know that? How could you know what was in his mind?

Obama's statement came out the day the ambassador was killed, and at the time they were saying that the ambassador was killed because of the video. So it stands to reason that if Obama is connecting violence to religion-bashing, that's what he was talking about. Nice try.

"you're so consumed with hate "

I'm not consumed with hate. I just don't like it when people deny irrefutable facts to protect Obama. You do it all the time. I'm trying to keep it honest. because I repeatedly call out your 'critical thought', you dismiss it as hate.