Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Pt.JudeJoe

Black Salties could ease the no live herring dilemma

Black Salties , goldfish like , live bait will be available in bait shops this spring. They are hardy fresh water fish that can live up to 2 hours in salt water. From what I'm told they can be taken to the shore in a bucket with some 02 tabs in it and of course a live well in a boat. They come in different sizes, some big for stripers and smaller ones for fluke. The big ones (5 in or so) will be about 1.50 just about the same as an eel. I know they work cuz a 50 lb striper was taken on one last year.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

SSSSSHHHH!!!!!!!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

www.blacksalty.com

they are the new thing...even though they caught on strong last year
Old 04-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Krispy

Rigged Salties are $11

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Old 04-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
zimmy

I am a fan of farm raised bait, but I have a concern with black salties. Won't be a preoblem in the salt, but what happens to a freshwater lake when a bunch of these come off the hook or get dumped... I would like it if they came with a self destruct button.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
zimmy

just saw they are illegal in freshwater in Ca and FL...

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
tlapinski
All up in the Interweb!

Why not just become a better plugger? If eels get banned, will people start live lining garden snakes?

Co-Host of The Surfcast Podcast

"Out there in the surf is where it's at, that's where the line gets drawn in the sand between those who talk fishing and those who live it."
- a wise man.

One good fish, a sharpie does not make...

Certified rock hopping billy goat.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski
If eels get banned, will people start live lining garden snakes?

What do you mean start? Also Black Racers are bigger and blacker

Good health and family
Old 04-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy
I am a fan of farm raised bait, but I have a concern with black salties. Won't be a preoblem in the salt, but what happens to a freshwater lake when a bunch of these come off the hook or get dumped... I would like it if they came with a self destruct button.
I'm with you on this one. Too many "exotics" (plants and fish) are really causing havoc. Everyone...PLEASE use common sense and be careful!

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
PI guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater
I'm with you on this one. Too many "exotics" (plants and fish) are really causing havoc. Everyone...PLEASE use common sense and be careful!
It'll be OK the snakeheads will take care of them.

Beer is the reason we get up each afternoon.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:07 AM   #11
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlapinski
Why not just become a better plugger? If eels get banned, will people start live lining garden snakes?

I think Garden snakes is a bit of a stretch....However I dont care how "good" a plugger anyone is, you will never beat Live bait. Thats the one hurdle a hunk of plastic or wood will never get over.Toss a live well in the truck, catch some scup and put a hook in there nose=Big bass...
Old 04-28-2006, 06:25 AM   #12
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
Toss a live well in the truck, catch some scup and put a hook in there nose=Big bass...
Yup, they work, only thing is, they have to be 10.5" to keep which is fine with me, just trim the fins so the bass can suck 'em in easier.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş >¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><((((ş>¸.·´Ż`·.¸><(((( ş>
Old 04-28-2006, 06:35 AM   #13
MakoMike

I heard that they may not be legal in MA? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me. Once they get into fresh water they could become a problem. And rest assured some yo-yo is going to dump a bucket load into fresh water.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
Steve K

I know nothing about Black Salties but why aren't they sterilized during the fish farming process? This would solve the problem of them being released into freshwater bodies of water.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K
I know nothing about Black Salties but why aren't they sterilized during the fish farming process? This would solve the problem of them being released into freshwater bodies of water.
They may be, for gods sake its a Shiner...Lighten up! What is tossed in freshwater will be sucked up by largemouths. Thats all it is a Shiner, How many Shiners are baught at baitshops each season and tossed into the water? Whos knows where the bait supplier got them? and in what type of water conditions they were in?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #16
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

I love the video on that website! It's like, yeah no chit a largemouth is going to eat it!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #17
Adamfishes

Send a message via AIM to Adamfishes
im with you #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& whats the big deal with these shiners being in fresh water? Maybe I missed some fine print but more bait fish sounds like a good thing to me. Hell lets farm some pogies and fatten up the cows
Old 04-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #18
eelman

Its just something else to cry about, its a shiner plain and simple, raised in the USA and just like any other shiner there is.........
Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #19
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Some use them,Some don't ....I WILL USE THEM..............THEY WORK................

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
Old 04-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #20
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHABS
Some use them,Some don't ....I WILL USE THEM..............THEY WORK................
Good give me all ur lures.

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
Old 04-28-2006, 06:31 PM   #21
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

We went over this last year, Unless the fish and game had made changes. They are not legal to possese in MA and I doubt if they are legal in RI.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #22
eelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc
We went over this last year, Unless the fish and game had made changes. They are not legal to possese in MA and I doubt if they are legal in RI.

Not Legal? Since when did they put a ban on Shiners?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #23
jim sylvester
<><><><><><><>

I know of a tackle shop in RI that sold them last year......so i would say that they are legal
Old 04-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #24
Nebe

Wildwood outfitters will be carying them starting next week i beleive.

i had a saltwater grade one in my hand today and while i was impressed, i have reservations... they arent that big, so even a large schoolie can snarf them up, while a large shad or scup will cull out the smaller bass who can not fit them in their maw.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #25
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

They are not a shiner.

Alls I got to say is Tom's in Middleboro was fined over $50,000 for importing into MA.
It is up to the person to know his law of importing them into his state.
I'm not going to get into it any further. Look it up before you do it.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:58 AM   #26
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecc
They are not a shiner.
Correct.

They're in the goldfish family and if allowed to grow can become quite large like any of the other species in the goldfish family.They're very hardy,the fact that they can live in saltwater for up to two hours demonstrates that.This is also what makes them easy to raise.

Letting non-native species propagate,especially in a closed freshwater environment,is never a good idea.You can never know what the resulting consequences could be.White perch in Moosehead lake,zebra mussels in the Great Lakes etc.These fish were designed and developed in a lab and have a patent pending.They're non-native everywhere on the planet.

Out of all the concientious local fisherman who'll use them only in saltwater there'll always be someone who'll want his own private stock and'll drop a few dozen in the local pond.

Now with all that being said they haven't posed any problem whereever they've been used so far and may very well be the ticket to allow those who fish live bait to continue to do so and will take the pressure off the native species and allow them to rebound.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #27
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Come on. if you guys can't catch a decent bass on a Danny or a Surf Hog you should hang it up. You still have eels and Scup

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #28
MakoMike

I talked to dave at Ocean State tackle yesterday and he said they will be carrying them starting next week.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 05-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #29
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

Just got off the phone with the division of fisheries and wildlife. They said the only way that fish in allowed in MA is DEAD.
Any person having posession of it will be subject to fines and jail.
It is a nonnative species and is not allowed period.
Any person selling the fish in the state will be fined severly & or jail and licences suspended.
They said that selling it for saltwater does not make a differance. It is the fact that it could be introduced to the freshwater lakes and streams.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #30
CaptDom

Hi Guys,

Lurked here for a while, never posted as didn't feel appropriate with my profession while not being a sponsor. Like the information exchanged, and the obvious passion you all share for fishing.

That being said, I want to clear up a few things in regards to the Black Salty. These fish are farm raised members of the goldfish family, and were developed in aquaculture ponds in Arkansas, not in a lab. They have not been genetically altered in any way, they have simply been acclimated to salt water immersion over a 7 year process, and the heartiest specimens were then bred and retained. They stay alive in salt water up to 2 hours, then will die from overexposure to the salinity. I introduced a scientist at the RI DEM to Neil Anderson, owner of the minnow farm, and the 2 of them exchanged information including scientific workups, stats, and pertinent info. DEM then gave permission for them to be shipped into the state for retail sale. No baitshops sold them last year, Myself and 1 other person in RI used them on a trial basis only.
They are legal in many states already, even for freshwater useage. Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Arkansas, and Mississippi all allow them for dual purpose bait, and they have many more tributaries, ponds, lakes, and other impoundments then New England combined. They have had absolutely no problems with these fish altering in any way the current biological distribution of native species, as they have a tough time getting a foothold in any body of water where a predatory fish lives. CA and FL have allowed the use as saltwater bait while prohibiting fresh water useage, for whatever reasons, but obviously it is possible to get legal status as saltwater bait while not freshwater, as precedence in these states shows.
These baits will be available starting this weekend at Wildwood distributors, Ocean State Tackle, and Sam's Bait and Tackle, while many others are making necessary preparations to have them available in coming weeks. They are an extremely effective alternative to wild harvested bait, and for those of you with doubts as to their effectiveness on large fish, I took a 52.8 pound striper on one in late Oct. , a 49 pound yellowfin out on the edge in Sept. as well as numerous mahi that same trip, and countless jumbo sea bass all year long, along with many other stripers from schoolie up to 38 pounds.
Currently the magnum size of 7-8 inch baits are in limited supply, but by July will be readily available as the farm has devoted a few ponds to get them to that size and even bigger by then. The inshore size is a sure fire bait for sea bass and fluke, and stripers will readily take all 3 sizes. Anyone with any other questions or reservations can contact Anderson farms direct at www.blacksalty.com, or PM me and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.
For those of you concerned that these fish will ruin any freshwater areas, rest assured that extensive sales in freshwater rich states has yielded nothing but positive results. Think of it this way.... how many legally sold Koi or goldfish are transacted in RI each year, and how many ponds do you know of where monster goldfish lurk awaiting your every cast???
Closed Thread