Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Roy Moore / Al Franken

What the heck do we do, when politicians are accused of sexual harassment, many years earlier? (If your name is Kennedy or Clinton, we do nothing and allow liberals to hail you as a hero, but let's save that).

Part of me says where there's smoke there's fire, so we should kick them to the curb. But that encourages people in the other party to fabricate claims. Part of me says you are innocent until proven guilty.

Would be awfully nice if we had one set of rules in these cases, that applied to both parties.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Just what you want to see in a US Senator.

We (BOTH sides) need a better way to pick people of character...
Old 11-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
BigBo

Part of the problem is the lines between Hollywood and public service are so blurred. I don't know why (perhaps it's the fantasy world/role play) but all too many people in Hollywood from the top down feel they posses superior intelligence over the rest of the country. Then many of them seek out public service when their acting careers are washed up. Most of them are blithering idiots that think they can do what they wish. Just because you were able to sell yourself doesn't equate intelligence or good values. This country is going down the sheeter real fast. I'm glad I'm on the downhill side, but I feel bad for younger generations like my grandson.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
Old 11-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
BigBo

Oh and I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but I'll throw it out there anyways; Al Franken has always been a moron.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Part of the problem is the lines between Hollywood and public service are so blurred. I don't know why (perhaps it's the fantasy world/role play) but all too many people in Hollywood from the top down feel they posses superior intelligence over the rest of the country. Then many of them seek out public service when their acting careers are washed up. Most of them are blithering idiots that think they can do what they wish. Just because you were able to sell yourself doesn't equate intelligence or good values. This country is going down the sheeter real fast. I'm glad I'm on the downhill side, but I feel bad for younger generations like my grandson.
"but all too many people in Hollywood from the top down feel they posses superior intelligence over the rest of the country"

Because they think fame/money is correlated with intelligence/character. It's not. Maybe the studio heads are sharp and talented, but the actors are nothing more than beautiful puppets.

"This country is going down the sheeter real fast."

Our moral compass could use a tune-up, that's for sure.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
What the heck do we do, when politicians are accused of sexual harassment, many years earlier? (If your name is Kennedy or Clinton, we do nothing and allow liberals to hail you as a hero, but let's save that).

Part of me says where there's smoke there's fire, so we should kick them to the curb. But that encourages people in the other party to fabricate claims. Part of me says you are innocent until proven guilty.

Would be awfully nice if we had one set of rules in these cases, that applied to both parties.
You could add dozens of past presidents to that list and based of the video leaked of Trump saying he could do anything, I’m sort of surprised some women have come out of his closet
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
BigBo

Nice. It only took 6 posts to make it about Trump.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Guppy
User

I guess you can't pat a girl on the butt anymore to figure out if she'll go out with ya,,, what's this world coming to?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
PaulS

Quote:
Well why mention 2 Democrats if you're not going to mention any Republicans?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Moore is a democrat??

Old 11-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #12
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Moore is a democrat??

Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
My point is men in power, whether it's the sitting president of the USA or Hollywood biggest movie studio, or my X boss who was a big time pig; they all feel above the law or their own companies HR policies.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #14
wdmso

Can you grope body armor ? And can you say you were groped when you were never physically touched ? Or is that air groping ? You can say not funny jump to sexual assault i would say no

About Moore my only comment is 14yrs old
Old 11-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #15
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
My point is men in power, whether it's the sitting president of the USA or Hollywood biggest movie studio, or my X boss who was a big time pig; they all feel above the law or their own companies HR policies.
Totally agree. Times are changing for the better.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
You didn't know Pres. Kennedy and Clinton were democrats?

Last edited by PaulS; 11-16-2017 at 07:24 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #17
wdmso

Quote:
Just what you want to see in a US Senator.

We (BOTH sides) need a better way to pick people of character...
Were was this rational thought before the election ?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Were was this rational thought before the election ?
We elected Eisenhower. We weren't always this,,,I don't know the word anymore...stupid? Shallow?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
The title of the thread includes one republican and one democrat. That's not balanced enough?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can you grope body armor ? And can you say you were groped when you were never physically touched ? Or is that air groping ? You can say not funny jump to sexual assault i would say no
Sorry I don't have a picture of him jamming his tongue down her throat....but maybe one will surface

Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #21
Jim in CT

And NOW, after all this time, liberals are starting to call out Bill Clinton. Now that he serves no purpose. There is nothing more intellectually bankrupt, than someone who defended him for 25 years, who criticizes him now. Now that the GOP is running everything, NOW the liberals are saying that sexual harassment is not something we want in our politicians.

These people have no shame. None.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #22
PaulS

Quote:
The title of the thread includes one republican and one democrat. That's not balanced enough?
Why ruin it by mentioning 2 democratic presidents when it seems like both bushes, Reagan and Trump have all been accused.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #23
PaulS

Quote:
And NOW, after all this time, liberals are starting to call out Bill Clinton. Now that he serves no purpose. There is nothing more intellectually bankrupt, than someone who defended him for 25 years, who criticizes him now. Now that the GOP is running everything, NOW the liberals are saying that sexual harassment is not something we want in our politicians.

These people have no shame. None.
How many women accused you're recently elected Republican president was it 16 or 19? You even have him on tape saying you just walk up and grab them by the p$$$$! Have the Republicans no shame? Ever hear of Anita Hill?
Old 11-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
How many women accused you're recently elected Republican president was it 16 or 19? You even have him on tape saying you just walk up and grab them by the p$$$$! Have the Republicans no shame? Ever hear of Anita Hill?
Here's the difference Paul, and it's a huge difference. Many, many many influential Republicans attacked Trump for this. Many many many influential Republicans didn't vote for him. Show me that same outrage for Bill Clinton (back then, when it mattered) from influential liberals? Good luck. Gloria Steinem for Gods sake, wrote a huge essay defending Bill Clinton. Probably the most famous "feminist" alive, was a huge Bill Clinton supporter.

You're fighting a losing battle on this issue...

Anita Hill? She was quite possibly making it all up.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

First off, in no way do I condone what Franken did.....
That said, has anyone besides me googled his accuser and clicked through her images? I am NOT saying this is reason to harass or anything, but.... how many millions has she received from those photos? What was she selling?

And further playing devil's advocate...this was in 2006? Where has she been since then? And where was Allie Raisman's father in all these years since she was abused by a US team doctor? (and where was her voice until now?) Seems the chance to grasp at a gold medal (and the millions that she will reap from them over her lifetime) was worth more than coming forward back then. If that was my daughter, I would done that man some serious damage, insuring he would never touch another girl again.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #26
PaulS

Anita Hill was a reluctant Witness, totally credible and got hammered. Trump was attacked just as much because they did not like him for his politics. He still won the Republican primaries when they had conservatives, moderates, women, African-Americans etc.etc there was a lot of choices other than Trump and he still got millions and millions of votes. Look at the evangelicals defending moore.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #27
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post

Where has she been since then? And where was Allie Raisman's father in all these years since she was abused by a US team doctor? (and where was her voice until now?)..
Until very recently the accuser always was never believed unless they had actual pictures or video excetera. Now it's changed and as I said earlier for the better. I think women have now felt empowered to come out they're seeing that there's no shame in being molested. They're seeing these other women come out and thinking how Brave it is of them to do it . Certainly some of their stories may not be as good as others but I think it takes a brave person to go in front of the camera and tell their story.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:29 AM   #28
scottw

Quote:

Until very recently the accuser always was never believed unless they had actual pictures or video excetera.

this is not true...and that's odd grammar

Last edited by scottw; 11-17-2017 at 02:46 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 05:06 AM   #29
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
First off, in no way do I condone what Franken did.....
That said, has anyone besides me googled his accuser and clicked through her images? I am NOT saying this is reason to harass or anything, but.... how many millions has she received from those photos? What was she selling?

And further playing devil's advocate...this was in 2006? Where has she been since then? And where was Allie Raisman's father in all these years since she was abused by a US team doctor? (and where was her voice until now?) Seems the chance to grasp at a gold medal (and the millions that she will reap from them over her lifetime) was worth more than coming forward back then. If that was my daughter, I would done that man some serious damage, insuring he would never touch another girl again.....

most of theses women see their is safety in Numbers less stigma and easy to attack 1 women but when multiple women come out on 1 person with the same story thats a game changer

Franken accusers is 1 person she provided the Photo odd

You forcibly kissed me without my consent,(thats an issues)
grabbed my breasts while I was sleeping and had someone take a photo of you doing it,( never touched her breast or even the body armor see photo ) knowing I would see it later ( seem shes had the photo since 2006 ) , and be ashamed.(thats why he took it? to shame her ? by that photo? shes not ashamed of her other phots across the internet?

as this stands its a he said she said incident . and is not the same league as the people with multiple accusers . no matter how hard some try to lump them together
Old 11-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:

Franken accusers is 1 person she provided the Photo odd

as this stands its a he said she said incident . and is not the same league as the people with multiple accusers . no matter how hard some try to lump them together
I think he has another accuser ....probably more as time goes on?...isn't that how this goes now?..look at Spacey

regarding Moore....don't know why anyone, particularly on the left, would be at all surprised...isn't the condescending Northeast Liberal and Hollywood frequent caricaturization of southerners as hayseed hick goobers who date and molest young women, particularly relatives?...this should just confirm their beliefs....

on the other hand...when the high minded, pontificating, highly evolved, condescending Northeast Liberal/Hollywood types who are generally "BETTER PEOPLE" engage in this abhorrent behavior....well...what are we to think?...though we know this has been the norm for a LONG time