Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

plugfest

It was a good time today
I want to thank everyone for pitching in, thank John for the place to hang and do what we do, thanks to Joe for his awesome display and thanks Nancy for the food you brought, thanks to Frank for help with the raffle, thanks to MikeCC for bring his shop supplies,thanks to all who donated stuff for the raffle to raise money for the site especially Stripermaniac who is beyond generous and a super nice guy, thanks to all who helped setup and cleanup - you know who you are
Thanks to all for bringing food, plates or drinks. And thank you to the people who gave me plugs and traded plugs.
I had a good time, it was great catching up with many I have not seen in a while and meeting others. Nice to see canalman who has not made it in a few years among others...
I gotta rest my back and unpack. see you out on the water

It was a good time, but I get the feeling plugfest just isn't what it used to be when we had Flaptail with us, Steve, you are still sadly missed.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
tysdad115

Thank you for putting it on again and to everyone who brought stuff to show. Amazing talent assembled in that room today. Thanks to everyone who gave Ty a plug.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

Thanks everyone,I had to duck out but, the time I was there, I had a good time. Sorry if I missed a few people.
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Stewie
Scarecrow

It was good to see everyone. Extra points for whoever made the shepherd's pie. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

.......Elvis Lives
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Hookedagain

Got there late but amazing as always. Thanks to John and all who helped put this together. It was nice to see and catch up with so many guys and meeting some new guys too. Sorry Skip for not recognizing you.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Great time as usual. Good to see lots of new faces with the old. Nice stuff all around. Didn't get away from my table enough. But was nice to share how the color shift paint works with so much interest. Did my yearly supply drop with Mike, Barb and Felicia. Thanks to all for your efforts.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Great job putting together Slip/JR/Slip Jr! Great venue. Nice to see all the detailed work. Everyone in a great mode as PlugFest indicates Spring right around the corner.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
machinist

attended plugfest today, great job by all as usuall. everyone friendly and helpful. question: saw a few plug bottle openers, where could i purchase the opener heads? ive searched the webb with little luck. found one for $9.95. has to be a cheaper solution. any help would be gratefully appreciated. thyanks
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I was not there 95% of the time today but enough to get me shaking . Plugs are great ,.. I did manage to let Felicia's boy friend know ,," I'm watching You " So did the guy next to me .. Felicia's reply ,, "I have 100 uncles".. That's right kid .. LOL ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Good times, Wikid nice plugs
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
fishing bum wannabe

Nice production! Congrats to Slip, John and all the plugmakers that put on great displays. Thanks to everyone that helped put on the Plug Fest!

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

great as always, thanks to those that did the heavy lifting.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
outnumbered
Registered Papa

Nice to see some faces and talk to some people I haven't seen in a while. Great job to all who put this together.

Quote:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
Rockfish9

As I have said before... this event is the highlight of the winter... great to see old friends and meet new ones... Thanks to Slip and John for making this happen..Thanks to everyone who stopped by to chat... my voice is shot..

Stewie..... I belive Nancy made the pie you speak of... I'll pass your message along..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
I was not there 95% of the time today but enough to get me shaking . Plugs are great ,.. I did manage to let Felicia's boy friend know ,," I'm watching You " So did the guy next to me .. Felicia's reply ,, "I have 100 uncles".. That's right kid .. LOL ..
You wern"t the only one Eddie... I told him he better take good care of her.... she was like a daughter to alot of us..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Mojo7
Mojo

Thanks to all who put this together it's a great time for us new builders come and get some advice on how to do things. Thanks Mike for the tutorial on making that template.
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
blondterror

I had a great time and wish I did not have to leave so early due to a Memorial Service for a friend's Mom. The plugs I saw were awesome and i am amazed buy all the creativity and talent in the group.

Chris

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #18
Guppy
User

First one for son and I, in awe of the createtivity. Plan on showing up with my first attempts next year. Lots to learn!

Pleasure meeting some of you folks and thanks, Gup
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
Big D

Another great fest!! Thanks John and Slip and everyone else who made it happen. It was good seeing old friends and meeting others. Hope the stuff i traded, catches. Thats what its all about.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

planned on making it there, but had a terrible back/sciatica day. hope everyone had a great time, would've loved seeing everyone- so much talent in one place.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Missed you Don. Had a great time seeing everyone. I think just about all the tables were taken in the main hall. If it gets any bigger we'll have to move displays into the area where guys sit down to eat.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
sks

Glad I made it down. Good to see everyone. Never made a plug all year but like coming down. Next year I will have some new ones. Good to see there is so much interest in building still. See you all soon on the Ditch.
sks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
pbadad

As always Plugfest brings out the talent and skills. Enjoyed talking plugs, getting tutorials from Joe on the JIGS, WOW! Thanks to Slip & John along w/others to make this happen. Next year I would like to get a table with a couple other CSA builders. Congrats to my VP Mike for "Best Of Show".

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
Lower

Always a great time! Thanks again to all those who make it happen. I'm definitly motivated to get the shop up and going. It's tough being there empty handed. Thanks again and congrats to all the winners. I know my freind was pretty excited to win rookie plug...although I still think the teacher has a lot to do with it !
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I was able to come home with some very nice plugs via trade... and was able to pass a few out, especially to others who have been so generous in the past, when I had nothing to trade.

Highlight of the day was receiving this plug from Fishingfreak (Mike). I had to ask, as I know he doesn't do this pattern any more. But it is not for me to keep. It is being donated, in his name, to our Wounded Warriors Project event we will be having again this Aug 2-3. WWP is deciding in their meeting this week how they will best utilize this, whether as a trophy, or for an auction at the event. Good cause. Thank you Mike! Your skills are crazy good and I appreciate the time you put into this for our Wounded Warriors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1624.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	55506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1625.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	55507  
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

good times yesterday. Great to meet so many of you guys. Ross, thanks again for all the introductions....you went out of your way to introduce me and make me feel welcome. Paul, really nice to meet you, hopefully I'll be able to save up for one of your vices, or maybe at least one of those wicked stainless steel "tins" you made...incredible! Thanks again, it was a very humbling but inspiring event!

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Grapenuts

only 1 picture?
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Great Job everyone! As usual, awesome display of work and camaraderie!

Thank you to Slip, Danny, Frank, Stewie, the Thomases, the kids pulling the tickets , and everyone that helped, offered knowledge, and had a great time

I cannot thank you all enough.

I would also like to make mention of one plug, made by Bill Produsz Senior, that did well in the competition and instead of being raffled, will travel with the Plug Project. Bill Sr, many of you will recall, is the young WWII vet that has won a category or two over the past couple years and is truly a great guy. Unfortunately he could not attend this year.

Once I find my memory stick I'll post the winners of the Plug Categories.

FYI - the Raffles will help S-B get a new server this summer as this one is old enough.

I will apologize in advance for my poor Photog Skilz but here is a rundown of some pics (those too blurry to take, well, sorry)

OK for some photos (I'll start with Me & Stan and just post 'em from there). If your photo isn't here it was too blurry....

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #29
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Here ya go Steve - more picktchahs for you

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #30
Grapenuts

it's "stan & me"never put you in front of the person your with.

Almost had a" blast" yesterday...had police,fire an gas co. on the job I was working on...redoing a roof an kept smelling gas[no not my own] seems the gas pipe rotted off in the wall coming from the meter..filling the basement and enough on the outside for me to smell it up on the roof...owners wondered why their bill had been so high the past 2 months....they were lucky ,he 's a chain smoker.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote