Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-23-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
Jimbo

Street Signs?

Had an email from one of the elders in my neighborhood that around half the street signs in our neighborhood were removed recently. He got in touch with the town to see about having them replaced. They'll get to us eventually. Apparently, it's a problem they're seeing all around the town. I just want to know what would possess someone to collect lots of random street signs?

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Vandals?
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
Jimbo

They were Viking Vandals and quiet ones, too. Every sign that was taken had to do with the Norsemen who allegedly might have anchored in the area way, way back in the day.
My grandfather got a kick when, back before this area was developed, he used to take visitors up here in his boat, telling them that, "They were going to see Leif Ericson's hole." (It was actually the hole in the rock they made to anchor to).

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Old 08-24-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Back to school/college scavenger hunt, maybe?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:40 PM   #5
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Had an email from one of the elders in my neighborhood that around half the street signs in our neighborhood were removed recently. He got in touch with the town to see about having them replaced. They'll get to us eventually. Apparently, it's a problem they're seeing all around the town. I just want to know what would possess someone to collect lots of random street signs?
Kids put them in their bedrooms. We did when I was a kid.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #6
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
I still have some in the shed my boys procured,,,,,
Old 08-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Yep. And my parents marched me right down to the DPW department head to apologize and return them... Was so embarrassed, but was one of those life lessons.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #8
Jimbo

I wouldn't deny taking the sign at the end of my street when I was 16, but that was after someone else knocked it down and it was left lying on the ground for a week (and I asked my father, too). But six signs, yea, sounds like an end of summer prank.
(Actually, I still have the sign in my garage here on the Cape, along with my Town of Yarmouth No Parking sign that I got when I...never mind).

Old 08-26-2022, 02:18 PM   #9
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I wouldn't deny taking the sign at the end of my street when I was 16, but that was after someone else knocked it down and it was left lying on the ground for a week (and I asked my father, too). But six signs, yea, sounds like an end of summer prank.
(Actually, I still have the sign in my garage here on the Cape, along with my Town of Yarmouth No Parking sign that I got when I...never mind).
I’m tellin! ;-)