Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:53 AM   #1
Rockfish9

IPA weekend

I guess it's time to give this thread a little life..

a little behind last years pace, too many things going on, the last brew(s) were a gluten free and Irish Red for the after party a my Grandson's wedding - it was my first time using plastic bottles, it worked well, the beer went over well too, I brought 92 bottles to the party I'm "storing" 26 until they return from Italy.

OK to the matter at hand, running low on everything but Imperial stout, time to brew me some IPA's
Sunday, I'll be brewing a Cascadian black IPA - Ive brewed it a half dozen times and for some reason it doesn't last long,( some pig keeps drinking it)

I use R/O /D/I water with an adjusted PH of 5.6 ( both strike water and sparge water are adjusted)

I use British 2 row malt as the base ( 11 lbs) to that I add one and a half lbs, of Dark crystal malt, 1 lb of rye malt and 8 ounces of midnight crystal wheat I use rice hulls to aid in sparging - mash in at 149 - 151 for 60 minutes . sparge at 170 until you have the desired amount of water for your 60 minute boil (my electric pot uses 6.5 to make a 5 gallon batch) Hop additions are as follows 1 ounce of simco hops ( 60 minutes) 1 ounce of cascade for 20 minutes, 1 ounce of Ekuanot ( or Mosaic) at flame out, whirl pool for 10 minutes before chilling to 68 degrees.. for yeast, I've had the best luck with BRY-97 - wyeast 1332 is a good liquid yeast - I advise make a starter for liquid yeast or double pitch the dry. I found fermenting at 65 degrees to give the best results and allowing the yeat to "finish" at 70 when active fermentaion slows down, after 2 weeks.dry hop with 1 oz of cryo cirta hops for one week, then transfer and allow 2 weeks in secondary or cold crash.. before bottling/kegging. starting gravity should be around 1.064 final gravity will be around 1,016 depending on the starting and final gravity ABV will be around 5.4 to 7.2 IBUs are 63 with a SRM of 34

Tuesday I'll brew the American IPA I'll post that recipe latter.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
wdmso

Talking

Not a fan of IPAs, But I have to appreciate the dedication..and attention to detail and time to produce drinkable Beer…

Would a Marzen (my favorite) be less or more intensive in time and ingredients? Or are most beers preparations based on the style your brewing . with very little room for experimentation

Sorry to ask such basic questions :cheers
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 01:43 PM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I’m drinking Athletic Upside Dawn a non alcoholic IPA which is pretty tasty and at only 41 calories, it’s good for keeping the weight down.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Not a fan of IPAs, But I have to appreciate the dedication..and attention to detail and time to produce drinkable Beer…

Would a Marzen (my favorite) be less or more intensive in time and ingredients? Or are most beers preparations based on the style your brewing . with very little room for experimentation

Sorry to ask such basic questions :cheers
I love the questions, the hardest beer to brew is a straight up pilsner,everything else is basic,base malts are almost universal, it's the flavoring malts and adjuncts, hops( or lack of)
as well as mash temp yeast type, as well as fermentation temp that sets it apart.. And yeast , if any parameter is off on pilsner it tastes like skunk wee wee flavor is not hidden by a ton of hops..
People dislike IPAs because most brewers over hop them and make them bitter..I get it, Iim real fussy on temperature of my mash and how much and type of hops I use, and how I execute their addition, i make several lagers, my favorite is a Blue stallion clone its close to an authentic German pilsner, I brew it as close to authentic as possible..
I'm still relatively new to brewing, I've only been at it 3 years,I've learned alot, but have alot To learn..

I'm brewing an american IPA tomorrow, the next after that, I'll brew a Marzen and document the process for ya.. it will be fun..pictures and all!

Old 07-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #5
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I’m drinking Athletic Upside Dawn a non alcoholic IPA which is pretty tasty and at only 41 calories, it’s good for keeping the weight down.

I haven't figured out how to brew a mon alchohol brew yet.. it should be a goal, i.made a Gluten free ale for my Grandsons wedding after party..it actually tastes good..