Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 03-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
mackerel hunter

Al Cappy Rods

I have two rods that were built for me by Al Cappy in the late 70's which are like new but for which I have no present use. One is a 2 piece, 9Ft and has a marking 6963 on the blank. The other is a 2 piece, 11 1/2Ft wiith a marking 01164 on the blank. Does anyone know what the markings mean and do the rods have any value? Thanks!
mackerel hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
mackerel hunter

Forgot to say spinning rods. Sorry!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

The 11-1/2 footer is a Lamiglas. 1164 is the blank number, under their old blank numbering system. It corresponds to today's SB 136 2F blank, which is rated for 2-5 oz.

As far as what it's worth--it's not a collectible by any means, but if it's in decent shape it's not out of the question that you could get $100-$150 for it. The reason you might get more towards the high end for it is two-fold. One, 2 piece blanks aren't as common as one piece in that model, and two, Lamiglas is phasing out the 2F blank.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
mackerel hunter

Mike, thanks for the information
Old 03-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
pete santini

Al Cappy rods are well made and have stood the test of time i have over 40 of them. Al was quite a character and a good friend and mentor of mine. out of his shop he produced thousands of rods for years until he passed away in the mid 80s. I still use some of the rods today. Pete Santini
pete santini is offline   Reply With Quote