Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #31
basswipe

Better yet fvck the hands-free device...pull over and get your a$$ of the road altogether.Your conversation will never be as important as a life.

Done....again.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #32
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
http://www.newsdial.com/technology/c...tatistics.html

WOW! Can't believe I did it! Here ya go! Chew on these stats for a bit......stats are the same for hands free or traditional cell use. Have a safe night.
Dig a little deeper and find out who owns that site.

Oops.DOH!!!

Now I'm truly done with this thread.I WILL not be killed by a conversation that can wait.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #33
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I am not going to get involved in this one.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:55 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Everytime I pass an officer or trooper they're yapping away...

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #35
Squid kids Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Me either

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #36
basswipe

Sorry guys my intent was not be an ass,though I came across that way but between my dad's health,work and wondering what happened to my MIA crack-head brother the last thing I needed was a bad commute home.

Apologies to all.Hope things are still good?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #37
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Everytime I pass an officer or trooper they're yapping away...

-spence
Spence, I especially like the officers who stand in the middle of an intersection at a construction site talking on the cell phone. They make us look bad.

Oh I said I was going to stay out of this.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #38
FishermanTim

They should institute a LAW that the driver of any vehicle cannot use ANY phone while driving... PERIOD.
Any phone, be it hand held, headset or ONSTAR are all distractions.
You can be the safest driver in the world, but if some idiot HAS to make thier worthless, drivel-ridden phone call while driving, how safe are you?
I have a cell phone, and I yelled at my brother for calling me while I was driving. I don't care if HE has a hands-free setup, I don't and I hate anything that will disctract me while I'm cruising around in a 2 ton projectile. I drive with my hands at 10 and 2, will reply to question by talking to the windshield (eyes on the road) and will leave my radio alone until I am stopped at a light before taking my eyes off the road, unless some idiot is swerving into my lane and I need to see where I can go to escape an accident (happened on Rt 128 south near the Rt 24 merge a few years back).
Fortunately I had worked for an executive driver service back in the early 90's, and part of the hiring process was taking a defensive driving course. It has saved my skin a number of times.

Bottom line: Any distraction is a major distraction, and can result in a serious accident.
If a driver is on his cell phone while driving, and hits you, you should request a copy of his cell phone record to verify your claim. It may not be possible in minor fender-benders, but I can't see why it would be used in major accidents.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #39
fishbones

Occasionally I have to answer a cell call when I'm in the car. Because I drive through Providence every day which has the worst drivers in the country, I always use my bluetooth headset. And I keep those calls short because I think I look like a self absorbed jackass with that thing on my head.

The people in that city are terrible drivers without distractions, never mind when they start using the phone, putting on makeup, lighting the crack pipe, fiddling with the radio, etc.... I actually saw a guy driving on 95 South earlier this week with the newspaper spread out across his steering wheel while driving. Are these things really that important that you can't wait until you get out of the car?
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #40
FishermanTim

Then there's the issue of new drivers that just don't have the experience on the road.
It is my firm belief that many driviing instructors are using the MCAS method of schooling: They only teach enough to pass the test.
How many of you have experience drivers doing things that make you scratch your head, thinking "What the hell was that person thinking?"
I've seen enough from my visits to the DMV for a couple of parking ticket appeals (which I won) to put 2 and 2 together.

All I can say is make sure you have a camera in your vehicle, even if it's a disposable one. Pictures really do help when an accident comes down to you said/they said.
My younger brother was involved in an insurance scam accident where he ended up rear ending another vehicle at a stop sign.
He had the presence of mind to call the police and proceeded to take pictures of the scene, vehicles and persons in the other vehicle. THEY tried to prevent him from doing so, but the police intervened and let him proceed. He also got the officers name and badge number and a copy of thge report. Later, when the insurance company began processing the other drivers claim, they stated that there were 3 more people in their car than initially stated.
My brother told the insurance investigator that he needs to speak with Officer Smith because based on the report filed, and his pictures, there were only 2 persons in the car, and that they were lying.
Bottom line, the claim was rejected as insurance fraud.

You've got to protect you own butts in this crazy world we live in.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #41
Squid kids Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
They should institute a LAW that the driver of any vehicle cannot use ANY phone while driving... PERIOD.
Any phone, be it hand held, headset or ONSTAR are all distractions.
You can be the safest driver in the world, but if some idiot HAS to make thier worthless, drivel-ridden phone call while driving, how safe are you?
I have a cell phone, and I yelled at my brother for calling me while I was driving. I don't care if HE has a hands-free setup, I don't and I hate anything that will disctract me while I'm cruising around in a 2 ton projectile. I drive with my hands at 10 and 2, will reply to question by talking to the windshield (eyes on the road) and will leave my radio alone until I am stopped at a light before taking my eyes off the road, unless some idiot is swerving into my lane and I need to see where I can go to escape an accident (happened on Rt 128 south near the Rt 24 merge a few years back).
Fortunately I had worked for an executive driver service back in the early 90's, and part of the hiring process was taking a defensive driving course. It has saved my skin a number of times.

Bottom line: Any distraction is a major distraction, and can result in a serious accident.
If a driver is on his cell phone while driving, and hits you, you should request a copy of his cell phone record to verify your claim. It may not be possible in minor fender-benders, but I can't see why it would be used in major accidents.
You yelled at your brother for calling you while driving..Your the one that answered the phone...

Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #42
FishermanTim

Sorry Squids, I shoul;d have clarified that I let him have it AFTERWARDS, when he asked why I didn't answer his call.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #43
Squid kids Dad

LOL...Tim..justing kidding with ya

Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #44
gone fishin

:deadh orse:

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #45
wheresmy50

It's all BS. Politicians create these silly laws to get votes. Bad driving is dangerous and is already illegal. What difference does it make if you're driving poorly because you're talking on the phone, or drunk, or eating, or putting on makeup or whatever?

We have checkpoints to see if people are drunk because we argue that merely being drunk is proof that you will drive badly, even .08 or .05 or whatever it is now. Should we have sandwich checkpoints, or cell phone without hands free device checkpoints? It's all stupid.

I read that they're going to make it illegal to text message while driving. Brilliant.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #46
FishermanTim

It's all pure conjecture until you are either the one causing an accident or the one on the receiving end.