Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

This Isn’t the America I Signed Up For

Great Opinion from the Bulwark

This is not the America I signed up for, and I literally signed up for America.

I arrived in God’s heaven on earth six years ago, with two suitcases, no money, and a letter of acceptance to Arizona State University. I had a handful of distant relatives far away from Arizona, but I didn’t come here for them.

I didn’t come here because I wanted to “succeed” in life, either, or make an impact on the world.

I came to America because I wanted to breathe. Because I had never lived a life of liberty and equality of rights. I came here because the hopelessness of life in the country I grew up in had led me to attempt suicide, twice. I came here, literally, because of the words of Abraham Lincoln, who convinced me that America was the last, best hope of earth—and the only hope for me. Because America is a nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. I came here because I was done being inferior to my rulers, just as I was done being superior for being an ethnic majority in Iran.

Ever since that day, I have known that Lincoln was right.

Upon arriving at ASU, I joined the College Republicans. I was not a conservative. I was Mr. Conservative. I adored conservatism. I had grown up in an Islamist country and been raised by loving Marxist-Leninist parents. I rebelled against both strains of illiberalism and fell deep down the rabbit hole not of Republican politics, but conservative thought. I poured over the Weekly Standard, Commentary, National Affairs, National Review. I was one of those weird college kids who thought that embarking a pilgrimage to the hallowed halls of the American Enterprise Institute would be way more fun than Cancun on spring break. While other freshmen were joining fraternities, I founded chapters for AEI and the Alexander Hamilton Society at ASU.

Yeah, I know.

The draw of the conservative movement for me was George W. Bush.

My parents are former political prisoners from Iran’s Islamist regime. Literally the only thing they ever agreed with the mullahs about was that Bush was Satan.

But, as a kid, when I listened to President Bush speak, he didn’t sound anything like the Great Satan. I was a teenager in Iran following 9/11, and George W. Bush declared that I was as much the child of God as anybody else. He didn’t tell the world—rather, he told me, personally, from his heart to mine—that the brown Middle Eastern teenager deserved as much liberty and equality as any white kid in America.

Unless you are a refugee from an oppressive regime, you cannot understand how powerful this message, from that man, was.

I fell in love with America then, and this love increases every day that I’m blessed to live in this greatest nation.

And, in return, I feel like it’s my duty to help make America more American. It breaks my heart to see the treatment of young black men, who are murdered for no reason. It disgusts me to see peaceful protesters treated the same way that the Iranian regime treated me, when I marched on the streets in 2009.

I was struck this week when President Trump had the peaceful protesters forcibly removed from Lafayette Park so that he could stage a photo op, in which he used the Christian religion as a political weapon the way the mullahs have exploited Islam for four decades.

Contrast this moment with President Bush, who, after 9/11, took off his shoes and walked into a mosque to remind us that Americans of all religions were the victims of that great tragedy and not perpetrators or sympathizers.

One of these men was trying to make America more American. And one of them is trying to turn it into something different.

Something that I recognize. Remember: I grew up in Iran.

The violation of Americans’ Constitutional right to assembly disgusts me like nothing in my life. Sure, I have seen worse in Iran—much, much worse. But I expected that. In fact, I expected nothing but police brutality, discrimination, and oppression in Iran. Because that’s the natural state of an illiberal regime.

To see anything similar in America, even if a fraction of it? It’s not natural; it’s disgusting. And it is disgusting not because America has suddenly become evil, but because the government of the United States is betraying Americanism—its ideals, its beauty, its generosity, its kindness.

Republicans, conservatives, those of you who spent the 2000s parroting President Bush’s sincere call for liberty, equality, and compassion, where are you? This betrayal of America’s Founding principles is not patriotism. Tax cuts, deregulation, and judges may be nice things, but they aren’t what makes America, America.

America was never about any of those things. It was about liberty and equality of rights.

Like all human projects, America has always been—and always will be—imperfect. Our Constitution opens with:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

A more perfect Union! Just because our ideals haven’t been fully met, it doesn’t mean we stop seeking them. The Framers knew we would never reach perfection. All they asked was that each generation endeavor to inch closer toward it, always uncovering the flaws, and always trying to fix them.

We owe it to the Founding Fathers, to those who came before us and made it better for us. We owe it to Lincoln and Frederick Douglas and Harriet Tubman, to Teddy Roosevelt and Susan B. Anthony, to Franklin Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr. and Jackie Robinson, to Bill Buckley and Ronald Reagan. And we owe it to those who will come after us, too.

President Trump’s apologists and enablers are not inching us closer to perfection. They are encouraging a fast and accelerating retreat in the opposite direction.

Lincoln is my first love, but let me close with the words of George Washington, in his beautiful Letter to the Hebrew Congregation of Newport:

The Citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy: a policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship. It is now no more that toleration is spoken of, as if it was by the indulgence of one class of people, that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support.

Amen.

Shay Khatiri
Shay Khatiri is a graduate student of Strategic Studies at Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies. He grew up in Iran and left the country in 2011. He is currently seeking political asylum in the United States. Follow him @ShayKhatiri.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

Wow

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
It disgusts me to see peaceful protesters treated the same way that the Iranian regime treated me, when I marched on the streets in 2009.

Don't know how Iran treated him, but saying we treated our peaceful protesters the way Iran reportedly treated its protesters seems more like a lie or misrepresentation rather than mere exaggeration.

I was struck this week when President Trump had the peaceful protesters forcibly removed from Lafayette Park so that he could stage a photo op, in which he used the Christian religion as a political weapon the way the mullahs have exploited Islam for four decades.

One of the ways we do resemble Iran, a small way, is that our dominant established press often purposely misrepresents (lies about) what actually happens. The result being that good people like Mr. Khatiri are susceptible to a false picture.

See what Bill Barr says actually happened. For full article link to: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/barr-de...k-white-house/.

Before the Lafayette park incident occurred, there was already a plan, because of the violence that was escalating in D.C., to extend the defensive perimeter around the White House before the Lafayette park incident. Here are following excerpts from article:

"This is the federal city. It's the seat of the federal government," Barr said at the virtual press conference. "When you have a large-scale civil disturbance that is damaging federal property, threatening federal property, threatening federal law enforcement officers, threatening the officials in government and their officers and our great monuments, it is the responsibility of the federal government to render that protection, and we do so in close coordination with the Metropolitan Police Department."

In Washington, demonstrations north of the White House escalated in intensity over three nights beginning on Friday, May 29, and peaked on Sunday when demonstrators set several fires, damaged buildings and launched projectiles, the attorney general said.

"It was very serious rioting," Barr said. "The Treasury Department annex there was broken into. A historical building on Lafayette Park, which is federal property, was burned down. There was a fire set at the historical St. John's Church, right there across from the White House."

The attorney general said there were "numerous head injuries" among officers protecting the White House, and 114 overall injuries to law enforcement since Saturday. He said 22 officers have been hospitalized, most with head injuries.

Barr said he hoped to extend the perimeter "relatively quickly, before many demonstrators appeared that day," but delays in getting units in place pushed back the move.

"By the time they were able to move our perimeter up to I Street, there had been a number, a large number of protesters that had assembled on H Street," he said, adding that the group was becoming "increasingly unruly." He claimed the protesters were asked three times to move back a block, which has been disputed by demonstrators who were there.

"They refused. We proceeded to move our perimeter out to I Street," Barr continued.

Federal officers deployed chemical irritants to scatter dozens of protesters, a dramatic confrontation that played out on live television just minutes before Mr. Trump was set to address the nation from the White House Rose Garden.

On Thursday, Barr denied that the decision to extend the perimeter was related to the president's decision to walk to the church.

"There was no correlation between our tactical plan of moving the perimeter out by one block and the president's going over to the church," he said.

And fake videos were made to make it look like the forced movement of the crowd was occurring while Trump was walking to the church when it actually occurred well before that.

Contrast this moment with President Bush, who, after 9/11, took off his shoes and walked into a mosque to remind us that Americans of all religions were the victims of that great tragedy and not perpetrators or sympathizers.

One of these men was trying to make America more American. And one of them is trying to turn it into something different.

Something that I recognize. Remember: I grew up in Iran.

The violation of Americans’ Constitutional right to assembly disgusts me like nothing in my life. Sure, I have seen worse in Iran—much, much worse. But I expected that. In fact, I expected nothing but police brutality, discrimination, and oppression in Iran. Because that’s the natural state of an illiberal regime.

To see anything similar in America, even if a fraction of it? It’s not natural; it’s disgusting.

The Constitutional right to assembly was not violated. The protesters still had that right, but a block away from where they were gathered. There was never a right to assemble wherever you wanted. There is no right to block streets. If there is a lawful boundary, it cannot be trespassed without permission. One wonders, if there even is a right to assemble in close packed crowds when there are restrictions against that during a pandemic.

And it is disgusting not because America has suddenly become evil, but because the government of the United States is betraying Americanism—its ideals, its beauty, its generosity, its kindness.

OK, here he's getting into his overly rosy, dreamlike notion of Americanism. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, generosity and kindness are personal traits, not intrinsic only in Americans. Surely, there must have been kind and generous Iranians in Iran. Did that make them "American"?

Republicans, conservatives, those of you who spent the 2000s parroting President Bush’s sincere call for liberty, equality, and compassion, where are you? This betrayal of America’s Founding principles is not patriotism. Tax cuts, deregulation, and judges may be nice things, but they aren’t what makes America, America.

Now he's wallowing in the make-believe world of virtue signaling. A vague signal at that. What is he claiming the Founding principles to be? Equality, liberty, and compassion?

And where does he get this notion that tax cuts, deregulation and judges aren't what make America, America. This is feel good, "snow fake" nonsense. We were essentially founded on the condition of low federal taxes, limited government, and a judicial system created to prevent government from expanding, compassionately or otherwise, beyond its prescribed limitations.

America was never about any of those things. It was about liberty and equality of rights.

Liberty, protected against government intrusion by LAW, not compassion or generosity. Equality before the LAW, not any other equality. LAW--that blindfolded, dispassionate, justice.

Like all human projects, America has always been—and always will be—imperfect. Our Constitution opens with:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Yes, the Constitution, the supreme law of the land is what ensures our ability to strive for a more perfect union.

A more perfect Union! Just because our ideals haven’t been fully met, it doesn’t mean we stop seeking them. The Framers knew we would never reach perfection. All they asked was that each generation endeavor to inch closer toward it, always uncovering the flaws, and always trying to fix them.

And yet, perhaps because of his overly rosy view of the intrinsically harsh, cold, dispassionate nature of American LAW, he doesn't understand that our ideals are fully met by strictly adhering to Constitutional limitations, and that abandoning principles for feelings of compassion, over time, erodes, inch by inch, the hard rock foundation that holds together the ability to freely maintain that more perfect union and possibly create that perfect one.

We owe it to the Founding Fathers, to those who came before us and made it better for us. We owe it to Lincoln and Frederick Douglas and Harriet Tubman, to Teddy Roosevelt and Susan B. Anthony, to Franklin Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr. and Jackie Robinson, to Bill Buckley and Ronald Reagan. And we owe it to those who will come after us, too.

He is so in love with his rosy picture of America, that he doesn't recognize that some of those he claims we owe it to were more "racist," authoritarian, Constitution Busters than Trump.
Namely the two Roosevelts.

President Trump’s apologists and enablers are not inching us closer to perfection. They are encouraging a fast and accelerating retreat in the opposite direction.

He was so starved for freedom because of his oppression in Iran that he accepted the America he came to, comparatively, as a near paradise. But he doesn't know, or doesn't want to know, that by the time he got here, America had already inched away from its founding "ideals" and was steadily inching further away. He doesn't realize, or doesn't want to, that Trump, for all his massive faults and abrasive personality, is like a monkey wrench thrown into the Progressive process that was grinding us toward the type of government that he hates.

Lincoln is my first love
Well, if you think that moving protesters a block further away from where they were is taking away their constitutional rights, how do you justify killing and maiming hundreds of thousands in order to take away half a nations constitutional desire to not associate with you?
Old 06-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Well, if you think that moving protesters a block further away from where they were is taking away their constitutional rights, how do you justify killing and maiming hundreds of thousands in order to take away half a nations constitutional desire to not associate with you?
Now you are claiming that this is somehow analogous to the Civil War?

Open your eyes, you are being lied to again, just like this incident.

Watch the video below and then look at this press statement from the Buffalo Police Department about the incident:

"A 5th person was arrested during a skirmish with other protestors and also charged with disorderly conduct. During that skirmish involving protestors, one person was injured when he tripped & fell."

What we have here is a perfect distillation of the three levels of corruption that exist in law enforcement.

The first is the violence of the police themselves. In this incident they are in total control of the situation. I can count 28 law enforcement officers, all of them wearing armor of some sort and carrying weapons.

They are approached by an unarmed 75-year-old man. It is unreasonable for any of the officers in this situation to have felt as though they were in clear and present danger. But if they had felt threatened, they could have restrained him.

Instead, they assault him, shoving him backward violently. Go back and watch the video again. Listen to the sound the man's head makes at the 0:06 mark when it hits the ground. Look at the blood coming out of his ear. Watch how motionless his body is.

At best, this is a terrible accident by law enforcement officers who are not competent at their jobs. At worst, it is criminal assault.

The second level of corruption comes in the reaction of the officers who did not shove the old man. None of them rush to his side. None of them confront the perpetrators of the assault.

Instead, the first two actions we see from the other police are these:

(a) One of the officers who pushed the man seems surprised that he fell and makes a move to check on him. The officer behind him directs him to keep moving and leave the man alone.

(b) Other officers immediately move to clear witnesses out of the area. There appear to be two civilian witnesses who try to tell the police that the man on the ground is bleeding. One of the other officers says, "Grab these two guys right now."

These two witnesses put their hands in the air and offer no resistance. We see one of them handcuffed.

Another officer goes after the credentialed media present and orders them to leave the scene.

What you're seeing here is, in the immediate aftermath of police misconduct, a large number of officers working in a coordinated manner to cover it up and witnesses to the misconduct being detained for no discernible reason.

Which brings us to the third level of corruption: The press release.

With the benefit of time to react, the Buffalo police department portrayed this assault as a mere accident resulting from a "skirmish" in which a civilian "tripped & fell."

This is a two-part outright lie being fed to the public the police department is supposed to serve.

This may sound strange, but I view the actual assault on the old man as the least worrisome of those three corruptions.

Police are human. They will make bad decisions sometimes even if they are good cops. You can understand how a bad decision gets made in snap-encounters.

Do I think these police should be prosecuted? Yes.

Do I think that, regardless of the outcome of criminal prosecution, they should ever be allowed to put on the uniform again? Absolutely not.

However, I am open to the possibility that these are good men who made a terrible mistake and simply lack the faculties and temperament to be professional law enforcement officers.

But what about the police around them who see what has happened and do nothing?

These officers are witness to an assault that they were not a part of. They have no "heat of the moment" excuse. And their first move is not to help the citizen they have sworn an oath to protect, but to cover up for colleagues who have just committed what may be a criminal offense.

It is hard to view these officers as anything but fully corrupt. Every one of them should lose their badge.

The deepest corruption, though, is the press release.

Because this is not the act of a single person operating under constraints of time and space. It's the product of an organization.

That means multiple sets of eyes and multiple lies. It means people had the luxury of time to deliberate before acting and their choice was to deceive the public.

When you find a bad cop, it means that he can't be trusted.

When you see a gaggle of cops covering for a bad cop, it means the culture is corrupt.

When you read a press release issued by the department claiming that a man who was assaulted by cops "tripped & fell" as a result of a "skirmish," it tells you that the entire institution is rotten.

Thank God the local NPR station caught this assault on tape. Had they not, then the police department's lie would have been the official truth.

That is the problem that has people in the streets, because they know that their eyes are not lying.

But maybe you can use your weasel words to explain how institutional corruption is great and we all should accept it.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
PaulS

Quote:
During that skirmish involving protestors, one person was injured when he tripped & fell."
If it wasn't for the cell phone video George Floyd would have "tripped & fell"
Old 06-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
If it wasn't for the cell phone video George Floyd would have "tripped & fell"
The video from Buffalo is horrific.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
Now you are claiming that this is somehow analogous to the Civil War?
I wasn't thinking in that way--but why not? There are claims that we are having a civil war.

But I was pointing out the absurdity of believing that moving protesters the distance of a block away where they were free to carry on with their assembly was taking away their right to assemble.

And yet, ironically, Khatiri's professed first love was Lincoln who actually not only used force, but catastrophic, deadly force to totally squelch half a nation's claim to their Constitutional right to secede.

And on top of which, he falsely blamed Trump for deliberately doing it so he could have his Bible photo op--which, as Barr pointed out, was not the reason for moving the protesters.

But why do you choose that minor bone to pick on? His article and his idyllic view of "Americanism" seems to be based, as above, on some false notions and misinformation which severely and erroneously colors his opinion of which direction America is heading under Trump. And blinds him to the direction it has been heading before Trump.

But it really sounded wonderful. Which is how the left tries to direct us. With good words. Always speak nicely, politically correctly. Who can argue against nice, compassionate words?

And because Trump uses bad words, he is a bad person. And the country will go bad because of his bad words.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I saw that. my issue wasnt the 1 arm push . I dont think the officer thought the guy would loose his blance and go down that hard. And i understand why the 1st line went by him thats taught to keep the line.. its the follow on officers except 1 who seemed un concerned . Of his conditions bother me
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I wasn't thinking in that way--but why not? There are claims that we are having a civil war.

But I was pointing out the absurdity of believing that moving protesters the distance of a block away where they were free to carry on with their assembly was taking away their right to assemble.

And yet, ironically, Khatiri's professed first love was Lincoln who actually not only used force, but catastrophic, deadly force to totally squelch half a nation's claim to their Constitutional right to secede.

And on top of which, he falsely blamed Trump for deliberately doing it so he could have his Bible photo op--which, as Barr pointed out, was not the reason for moving the protesters.

But why do you choose that minor bone to pick on? His article and his idyllic view of "Americanism" seems to be based, as above, on some false notions and misinformation which severely and erroneously colors his opinion of which direction America is heading under Trump. And blinds him to the direction it has been heading before Trump.

But it really sounded wonderful. Which is how the left tries to direct us. With good words. Always speak nicely, politically correctly. Who can argue against nice, compassionate words?

And because Trump uses bad words, he is a bad person. And the country will go bad because of his bad words.
You’re repeating propaganda
The lies of this administration
They moved protesters with tear gas, rubber bullets and brute force.
They did it so Tweety could appear strong because his self image was hurt by someone saying he hid in the bunker.

Weak, incompetent and incapable of leadership this administration is failing, ask almost any General.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
They did it so Tweety could appear strong because his self image was hurt by someone saying he hid in the bunker.

Weak, incompetent and incapable of leadership this administration is failing, ask almost any General.

If they’re using tear gas, why aren’t the security forces wearing gas masks?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:

You're repeating your ignorance. I created what I said, on the spot. I repeated nothing. I didn't need someone else's opinion. I have my own.

I spoke my own truth.

They asked the protesters to move to another location 3 times. The protesters did not move and started to act unruly. Tear gas was not used. The force was more threatening and less "brute."

They did it because DOJ had decided much earlier to extend the perimeter around the Whitehouse by one block. It had nothing to do with anybody's image. It had to do with White House safety.

Generals' expertise is not in the domain of civilian leadership. And I don't know if "any" general would agree with you. There well may be those who disagree with you. And are wise enough not not to start rumors or make statements that weaken the government.

There are plenty of other "experts" who don't agree with the generals you speak of.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:20 AM   #12
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

So you think they’d be using it where they were standing?
Old 06-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Let just say there was no teargas ,,, used. Not sure how that changes the forcible removal of a protest so the POTUS can do a photo op and look like a tough guy

Not sure how flashbangs and batons and rubber bullets aren't bad enough
Old 06-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #14
Sea Dangles

I love protests. We should just let people stand on freeways when they feel it is helpful. What could go wrong.?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
if he was following social distancing rules I think he'd be ok right now...
Old 06-06-2020, 09:08 AM   #16
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Let just say there was no teargas ,,, used. Not sure how that changes the forcible removal of a protest so the POTUS can do a photo op and look like a tough guy

The photo op was not the reason for the removal.

The DOJ had already decided to extend the perimeter around the White House, for security reasons (since the so-called peaceful protest was infiltrated with a lot of dangerous, destructive, and escalating violence by groups who were not there because of the Floyd killing, but because it was another opportunity to advance their agenda of sowing discord in and doubt about America).

And the removal was "forcible" only because after the police had asked the protesters three times to move outside of the new perimeter they were establishing, the crowd refused to move. Not sure, at that point, how the police were supposed to get them to clear the area other than use some force.

Not sure how flashbangs and batons and rubber bullets aren't bad enough
I could only find "reports" that rubber bullets were used. No evidence that they were. I tried, but couldn't find a link that told how many of the protesters at the Lafayette park incidence were injured and what the cause of injury was. The only injuries that were reported, over and over, were injuries to police or security forces.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #17
scottw

once again...

At approximately 6:33 pm, violent protestors on H Street NW began throwing projectiles including bricks, frozen water bottles and caustic liquids. The protestors also climbed onto a historic building at the north end of Lafayette Park that was destroyed by arson days prior. Intelligence had revealed calls for violence against the police, and officers found caches of glass bottles, baseball bats and metal poles hidden along the street.

To curtail the violence that was underway, the USPP, following established policy, issued three warnings over a loudspeaker to alert demonstrators on H Street to evacuate the area. Horse mounted patrol, Civil Disturbance Units and additional personnel were used to clear the area. As many of the protestors became more combative, continued to throw projectiles, and attempted to grab officers’ weapons, officers then employed the use of smoke canisters and pepper balls. No tear gas was used by USPP officers or other assisting law enforcement partners to close the area at Lafayette Park. Subsequently, the fence was installed.