Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #31
scottw

I hope he hangs in there till the bitter end
Old 05-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I hope he hangs in there till the bitter end
Me too. And man is it going to be bitter on all sides. But I'm warming up to our chances against Biden. Thank God it's not Michelle Obama.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #33
Jim in CT

The founder of POLITICO wrote this in the New York Times, about the investigation into whether or not Biden assaulted Reade...

“I don’t want justice, whatever that may be. I want a win, the removal of Donald Trump from office, and Mr. Biden is our best chance.”
Old 05-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #34
Pete F.
Canceled

So, where is Trump*s DNA sample at?
And let a few people out of NDA's.
Let's see what's in Pecker's safe.
What NYC Real Estate developer had active brothels in his buildings and was known to tape their customers surreptitiously for later use in blackmail schemes?
And you wonder why Trump* and Epstein were such buddies

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
So, where is Trump*s DNA sample at?
And let a few people out of NDA's.
Let's see what's in Pecker's safe.
What NYC Real Estate developer had active brothels in his buildings and was known to tape their customers surreptitiously for later use in blackmail schemes?
And you wonder why Trump* and Epstein were such buddies
So, were you lying when you made the false statement that Trump "took out a full page ad in the New York Times to call for the public execution of five black children"?
Old 05-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #36
Pete F.
Canceled

Donald Trump called for the death penalty to be applied to the Central Park Five

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #37
PaulS

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019...isable=upscale
Old 05-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #38
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
To be fair it doesn't say 'execute the central park five' but he conveniently it ran during or before the trial (I can't recall which)....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #39
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
To be fair it doesn't say 'execute the central park five' but he conveniently it ran during or before the trial (I can't recall which)....
No, he is a sloppy talker and writer. While it doesn't say bring back the death penalty, he mentions the park (and given the timing) any reasonable person would assume that is what he meant.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #40
Jim in CT

I can't read Trumps letter for some reason. Is he saying that these kids should have been executed? Or whoever was guilty? Either way, better to shut up.

But again, it was all right for Obama to bash cops every singe time anyone got hurt, which maybe by coincidence, he did just before a series of random attacks and assassinations of police took place ("uh, I don't know what happened, but uh, the Cambridge police aced stupidly"). One standard for Obama, another for trump. Because range man bad.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #41
detbuch

Quote:
No, he is a sloppy talker and writer. While it doesn't say bring back the death penalty, he mentions the park (and given the timing) any reasonable person would assume that is what he meant.
There is no need to "assume" what he meant. In the ad, he SPECIFICALLY tied the death penalty to murder. For all other serious crimes that they should be punished and made to suffer.

As in, "I want to hate these muggers and murderers, and when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes." Or as in, "Those who would murder our citizens and terrorize New York--bring back the death penalty." (Their is no comma between "citizens" and "and terrorize" so "terrorize" was a result of "murder[ing] our citizens".)

So, he clearly wanted the death penalty to apply to murder. He did not like that murder should be penalized merely with imprisonment. And the other criminals who were at that time (this was just before Giuliani cleaned up the horrific crime problem NY was having) should be made to suffer (not given the death penalty).

And there was no nod toward racism, he said that the New Yorkers who were suffering from the widespread crime in the city at the time were White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian. And did not claim or hint that the criminals were all non-White. The Central Park Five were only a part of the whole, horrific, criminal predation of the city. And they were not convicted of murder. So they would not be his targets for the death penalty.

The claim that he asked for the death penalty for the Five is not found in the ad, nor is it implied. And the ad was not, in the main, merely about the Five. It was about what was happening in the city. The Five, whom he never specifically mentioned, were just part of the problem. The whole situation is what the ad was about, and the death penalty, in the ad, was specifically for murderers.

Way after that event and that ad, there is this attempt to characterize it as racist and calling for the death penalty for five innocent black children (at the time they were convicted, not innocent). Any "reasonable" reading of the ad would not find a claim that Trump called for the death penalty for the Five. Not only that, but he was being very clear in what he was talking about and to whom he was referring. If he had wanted to call for the execution of the Five, he could easily had said so. He was speaking about the overall, terrible crime that was gripping his city at that time. And he lamented that the police were not allowed to pursue crime as they should be, and that the death penalty would be the more proper and effective remedy for murder.

But the claim that he is a racist who wanted to execute five innocent black children is not about being reasonable. It is the typical, incessant, attempt to twist, interpret, conjecture, insinuate, characterize what Trump says and does into proving that Orange Man Bad. And as for him being a sloppy talker and writer, that is true about how he speaks. But writing is not extemporaneous, unscripted speech. His ad was not sloppy, was well and clearly written.

Last edited by detbuch; 05-08-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Old 05-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #42
Pete F.
Canceled

Flynn admitted his guilt also

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:

What's this got to do with your false claim that Trump wanted to have the five executed?
Old 05-08-2020, 04:04 PM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:

That doesn't matter. If the FBI violated his rights along the way, his guilt doesn't matter. This is the first time you've ever heard of someone getting off because the government made a mistake?

I guess this is going too fast for you, sorry.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #45
Pete F.
Canceled

I would suggest that if you get arrested, you not use as a defense that the officer made you lie.
But you can try it, it does seem to work for Trump* courtiers.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #46
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
What's this got to do with your false claim that Trump wanted to have the five executed?
He still does and his comment about them pleading guilty is very interesting when you look at it along with current events in the Flynn case.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #47
detbuch

Quote:
He still does and his comment about them pleading guilty is very interesting when you look at it along with current events in the Flynn case.
Well, he didn't in the ad where you claim he did. But is there something other than the ad where he does? I'd like to just take your word for it, but . . . I don't know . . . your track record of misrepresentation just doesn't give me confidence. Please show something where he says that the Central Park Five should get the death penalty. Preciate it . . . thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #48
PaulS

Quote:
Agreed I was just going to come back and say that.

Since then, he has repeatedly reiterated the guilty verdict of the men, even though their convictions were vacated. “They admitted they were guilty,” the then-candidate said in a CNN interview the month before the 2016 election. “The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same.”
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #49
detbuch

Quote:
Agreed I was just going to come back and say that.

Since then, he has repeatedly reiterated the guilty verdict of the men, even though their convictions were vacated. “They admitted they were guilty,” the then-candidate said in a CNN interview the month before the 2016 election. “The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same.”
Pete F's false statement was That Trump put an ad in the NYT to "call for the public execution of five black children". There was no such call, nor even a hint of it in that ad. He clearly, specifically, demonstrably said that the death penalty should be applied to murderers. The only time the death penalty or executing criminals was mentioned in the ad was in regard to those who kill or murder. He never even hinted that it should be applied to the crimes that the Central Park Five were convicted of.

I challenge you to point out where in his ad he said that the Five should be executed. It is a very serious charge to say that he made such a call. I have no doubt that you cannot find such a thing being said by Trump in that ad.

And now you blithely change the subject by saying that "Since then, he has repeatedly reiterated the guilty verdict of the men"--that is not the point. The point is, Pete F made a false statement that Trump called for their execution. And he claims that he still is saying that.

You have several times asked for a link when someone asserted something you questioned. Please show a link where Trump is asserting that the Five should be executed. And please show where in the original ad Trump said that they should be executed.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #50
PaulS

is it a wonder I and others ignore you
Old 05-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
In other words, you cannot show anywhere that Trump called for the execution of the Central Park Five. Something like that should not be hard to find. It's a helluva thing to accuse someone of without a scintilla of evidence that he's said such a thing.

Yet, I'm the one that should be ignored.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
because you don’t like being humiliated.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
In other words, you cannot show anywhere that Trump called for the execution of the Central Park Five. Something like that should not be hard to find. It's a helluva thing to accuse someone of without a scintilla of evidence that he's said such a thing.

they can’t show it, and god knows they won’t admit as much. again, when you are enslaved to your ideology, you reflexively defend the ideology even when the evidence doesn’t support doing so. they really don’t like being called on it.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #54
PaulS

Quote:

post a copy of the ad up and people can talk about it.

The Reason I ignore you is I find you extremely boring. I haven't the word blithely used since I watched on the waterfront.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #55
detbuch

Quote:
post a copy of the ad up and people can talk about it.

The Reason I ignore you is I find you extremely boring. I haven't the word blithely used since I watched on the waterfront.
You already posted a copy of the ad. And you can't point out anywhere in the ad where Trump said that the Five should be executed.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #56
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
because you don’t like being humiliated.
You're always quick with an insult and that is why I think you're a #^&#^&#^&#^&. And while I find you a #^&#^&#^&#^& I find him extremely boring and his style of posting boring. I think one time I said that if I was ever introduced to him at a party I probably would walk away in about 30 seconds after saying nice to meet you but I have to go get a beer.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #57
PaulS

Quote:
You already posted a copy of the ad. And you can't point out anywhere in the ad where Trump said that the Five should be executed.
I can't read it so post it up. And where exactly did I say he said they should be executed? What I said is the ad is written sloppily and people will assume that's what he meant.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
You're always quick with an insult and that is why I think you're a #^&#^&#^&#^&. And while I find you a #^&#^&#^&#^& I find him extremely boring and his style of posting boring. I think one time I said that if I was ever introduced to him at a party I probably would walk away in about 30 seconds after saying nice to meet you but I have to go get a beer.
you posted the ad, detbuch asked where the ad said what you guys claimed it said, and instead of saying “it doesn’t say that, you’re right”, you insulted him. very mature.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
when someone who still
uses the word “retard” thinks i'm a jerk, i take it as a compliment. it’s when you’re over the target that you take the most flak.

how about either pointing to where the ad says what was claimed, or just admit it doesn’t. i don’t see what’s so hard about that.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #60
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
when someone who still
uses the word “retard” thinks i'm a jerk, i take it as a compliment. it’s when you’re over the target that you take the most flak.

how about either pointing to where the ad says what was claimed, or just admit it doesn’t. i don’t see what’s so hard about that.
I told you numerous times I used the word spazz and retard to make fun of you trumplicans who had no problem with Trump up there mimicking a person with a disability. Did you not understand that the first three times I told you? Didn't you also say that you couldn't read the ad?