Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

A view of Covid-19 from Kiwi land

A good explanation, sorry if it has nothing to do with............

How is the coronavirus likely to play out, how does it end, and does our behaviour make a difference? Here infectious diseases expert Dr Siouxsie Wiles walks us through the epidemic curve, with illustrations by Toby Morris.

But before we get to that, let me just explain epidemic curves in a little more detail. First, they have three parts: a start (phase one), a middle (phase two), and an end (phase three). Each of these phases is influenced by different things. Such as, how infectious is the virus or bacterium? How is it transmitted? Is it person-to-person, or from eating or drinking? If it’s person-to-person, are people infectious before they have symptoms and don’t know they are unwell? And if people do have symptoms, are they mild enough for people to go about their daily routine? Is everyone susceptible to the infection, or just some people? What resources do we need and have to contain the outbreak? The answers to these questions will influence the shape of the epidemic curve.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/09-...it-manageable/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #2
Pete F.
Canceled

New Zealand this week

https://twitter.com/marieannuk/statu...138866185?s=21
In the USA a political party let hundreds of thousands of people die because they feared angering a selfish man more than failing the people that they were elected to serve.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
New Zealand this week

https://twitter.com/marieannuk/statu...138866185?s=21
In the USA a political party let hundreds of thousands of people die because they feared angering a selfish man more than failing the people that they were elected to serve.
Against my better judgment, I finally read your link--and I had to bust out laughing. A tweet!: ("New Zealand this week, no masks, no lockdowns, no Covid... bc they had a grown up in charge.") by someone who describes herself as: "Cycling, triathlon, used to go to the cinema & comedy gigs." The first comment to it, by a Brit, (Britain is worse off than the US) was telling: "We've only got 62 million more people crammed into large industrial citys"

Obviously, the Brit took the tweet as a criticism of Britain. His brief retort could be added to in many other ways in respect to the difference between the U.S. and New Zealand. We have five times the population of Britain and 70 times greater than NZ. We have nine metropolitan areas with larger populations than the whole of New Zealand, NY-LA-Chicago being way, way larger.

New Zealand's parliamentary system of government gives the PM and the Governor General far more, nearly absolute, power to dictate to ALL New Zealanders how they can act in a pandemic. We have many states in the US who have the power to so dictate as NZ does. The power and responsibility to control the pandemic in the US lies in the states. The responsibility here lies with or various governors and state agencies. The notion of "a grown up in charge" is spread to 50 different grown ups, several of who took more draconian measures than others.

We have a far more diverse population which has actual as well as excercised individual freedom, and so reacts in more diverse ways to government dictate than occurs in NZ.

And NZ has a tight hold on immigration, with requirements tailored to the countries needs. I don't think the Dems or Harris/biden would approve of it. I don't know what the cycling comedy gigger would think of U.S. immigration policy. I suspect many Kiwis would think it to be self-destructively laughable. This right-wing, classical liberal (or libertarian) New Zealander, Trevor Loudon says of US immigration policy: "the Democrats plan to enfranchise 22 million illegal immigrants".

According to the Migration Policy Institute, "New Zealand's immigrant selection system, while non-discriminatory on the basis of source country, is biased towards immigrants who have a good command of the English language, and have educational and professional qualifications that are recognized by New Zealand's Qualifications Authority and professional associations. It is believed that immigrants with these attributes will be able to integrate more effectively into a society that acknowledges a bicultural ideology".

I suspect the cycling comedy gigger would not approve of our loose covid-19 handling of the thousands of "undocumented" border crossers.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-27-2021 at 12:41 PM..
Old 03-28-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Now do Vietnam
Not an Island
Population 98 M
Denser population than USA
COVID deaths 35
Old 03-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Birx tells CNN most U.S. covid deaths ‘could have been mitigated’ after first 100,000
Old 03-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Now do Vietnam
Not an Island
Population 98 M
Denser population than USA
COVID deaths 35
Any idea of why Vietnam with higher population than Germany (one of those who supposedly did really well) has only 35 deaths compared to Germany's almost 76, 000 and climbing?
Old 03-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
detbuch

Quote:
Birx tells CNN most U.S. covid deaths ‘could have been mitigated’ after first 100,000
Yeah, (whatever "mitigated" means), but that first 100,000 was being claimed by the left as an unmitigated disaster and all because of Trump.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
detbuch

How come the U.S has a much better case fatality rate 1.8% than Germany 2.7%?
Old 03-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Any idea of why Vietnam with higher population than Germany (one of those who supposedly did really well) has only 35 deaths compared to Germany's almost 76, 000 and climbing?
What about?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Yeah, (whatever "mitigated" means), but that first 100,000 was being claimed by the left as an unmitigated disaster and all because of Trump.
How does that go “ When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #11
detbuch

Quote:
How does that go “ When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."
“These are 2.2 million people would have died if we didn’t do what we’re doing,”

Anyway, Trump's big ego convinced himself that he had more control than he did. The House and the anti-Trumpers, and the Dems, and to a great degree, even most of the corporate media opposed and denigrated nearly everything he said and did--surprise, surprise, politics reigns even in crisis.

He pretty much did what was in the power of the President to do. The states were responsible for the rest, for the most. Although Trump did, uncharacteristically for the early stages of his term, refer to "we" and "we've" a lot. Fauci and Birx were certainly a part of that "we." And Fauci did say that Trump did everything he asked. The other part of the "we," the major part, was the states, which was a mixed bag. Of course the largest "we," the people, got mixed messages, both scientific and political.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #12
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
“These are 2.2 million people would have died if we didn’t do what we’re doing,”

Anyway, Trump's big ego convinced himself that he had more control than he did. The House and the anti-Trumpers, and the Dems, and to a great degree, even most of the corporate media opposed and denigrated nearly everything he said and did--surprise, surprise, politics reigns even in crisis.

He pretty much did what was in the power of the President to do. The states were responsible for the rest, for the most. Although Trump did, uncharacteristically for the early stages of his term, refer to "we" and "we've" a lot. Fauci and Birx were certainly a part of that "we." And Fauci did say that Trump did everything he asked. The other part of the "we," the major part, was the states, which was a mixed bag. Of course the largest "we," the people, got mixed messages, both scientific and political.
Sure Jan

Lets Go Darwin
Old 03-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Sure Jan
In your words, "the laziest of lazy arguments."