Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 02-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
stiff tip

i didnt know

we had a site for tuna alone....ok.. over all how was last yrs tuna fishing and what type of gear was the best 4 you ...ill start .. mostly from chatham east i would say my t- fishing was fair only had a few 4 fish days .but fish were bigger 75 to 150 lbs...all fish were on bars n birds.none on swimmer deep ....did fish at s.w. but not enouph ......dave
stiff tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

It was decent not great. Totals 72 tuna. Cured the Hot Reels 0 for 12 trip curse for them. Buckman and Buckman jr were indoctrinated into the east fishery. The 50's and 80's did the trick. SWC gave up some nice fish also.

I have to throw out a thanks to Steve (buckman) for letting me fish with them as much as I wanted while the boat was down.

As for learning I learned a few new things. Definitely helped in some areas.

Put a few people on their first tuna fish this year which was the best part of the season.

Dave the area where we fished together in seperate boats 2 years ago was red hot late in the year BTW.

Last edited by keeperreaper; 02-15-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
kippy
Got Necco's?

we went 2 for 6 last year, which was awful considering how many trips we did. Just picked up some Taco 18ft outriggers so hopefully that helps out.

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

You guys should count your blessings w/ the short runs you have!
We're praying fuel stays down, with a 90+mile one way run to get to the edge!

maybe next fall I'll mooch a ride out east... just no spinning rods

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Moses

This was my first year where tuna was the specific target on trips.

1st trip - mid june out east of chatham and we hooked up. trolling bars and fish was ~85lbs

2nd trip - mid july near SWC and we hooked up. trolling bars and fish was ~90lbs

3rd trip - mid august east of chatham and we hooked up. trolling bars and fish was ~90lbs

4th trip - oct holiday weekend near SWC and we hooked up. After 2.5 hrs of no luck trolling, I caught my first on spinning gear and fish was ~115lbs

So, I went four for four was I was ecstatic about. All bars were dark (black, maroon, foil flash) with either a pearl or chartreuse stinger. Since I don't have another season to compare it against, I anxiously await this season.

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Three trips in my 20' CC, Sept and Oct. No outriggers but borrowed a center rigger for two trips. I'm about 15 miles from NWC which is where I fished. Three fish 120-150. Two on white sluggo and one on X-Rap 30' diver. But I have so much to learn, so am planning on going out with others this year to steepen the learning curve.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
This was my first year where tuna was the specific target on trips.

1st trip - mid june out east of chatham and we hooked up. trolling bars and fish was ~85lbs

2nd trip - mid july near SWC and we hooked up. trolling bars and fish was ~90lbs

3rd trip - mid august east of chatham and we hooked up. trolling bars and fish was ~90lbs

4th trip - oct holiday weekend near SWC and we hooked up. After 2.5 hrs of no luck trolling, I caught my first on spinning gear and fish was ~115lbs

So, I went four for four was I was ecstatic about. All bars were dark (black, maroon, foil flash) with either a pearl or chartreuse stinger. Since I don't have another season to compare it against, I anxiously await this season.

Not bad Mike! Thats a really nice success rate!

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
clcharette
Get off my Rock

First trip in July out east with Matt/Mike we took one fish on a bar.

Trip 2, I went with Buckman with the Keeper along side us and helped Steve put the first fish in his boat. We ended the day catching 4..

Trip 3, I took the kids fishing and we took 1. They wanted to call the day and go codfishing.

Trip 4 & 5 went with Buckman and the Keeper and caught 2 more each trip. All the fish out east were taken on bars and trolling first light was the key.

September came and I started fishing the bank. On the 6th trip we took one fish on a bar fishing in 5 to 6 footers, tough fishing.

Trips 7-12 we hit them hard catching anywhere from 2 to 5 fish each trip. All fish were caught on a sluggo or Ronz. The fish were hitting at slack.

The final trip I made it back out with Buckman and the Keeper and we caught 2 more, one on a sluggo the other on a X-rap.

All and all a great year, Zero skunks and about 30 fish caught.

Last edited by clcharette; 02-16-2009 at 10:20 AM..
clcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
kippy
Got Necco's?

wow..great year! I would be estatic if I could get at least 1 fish per trip..still learning after 4 seasons.

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcharette View Post
First trip in July out east with Matt/Mike we took one fish on a bar.

Trip 2, I went with Buckman with the Keeper along side us and helped Steve put the first fish in his boat. We ended the day w/4 fish.

Trip 3, I took the kids fishing and we took 1. They wanted to call the day and go codfishing.

Trip 4 & 5 went with Buckman and the Keeper and took 2 more each trip. All the fish out east were taken on bars and trolling first light was the key.

September came and I started fishing the bank. On the 6th trip we took one fish on a bar fishing in 5 to 6 footers, tough fishing.

Trips 7-12 we hit them hard taking anywhere from 2 to 5 fish each trip. All fish were caught on a sluggo or Ronz. The fish were hitting at slack.

The final trip I made it back out with Buckman and the Keeper and we took 2 more, one on a sluggo the other on a X-rap.

All and all a great year, Zero skunks and about 30 fish caught.
Wasn't the limit 3 fish per boat?

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
clcharette
Get off my Rock

On days that we caught more than one, we boated the first fish and released the others without removing them from the water.

Last edited by clcharette; 02-16-2009 at 12:11 PM..
clcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcharette View Post
On days that we caught more than one, we boated the first fish and released the others without removing them from the water.
Ah! O.K. gotcha!

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
buckman

I think we ended up with like 28 fish. All I can say is thanks Keeper and ChrisC. Thanks to my son Jeff too for rigging everything we fished with. The kid sure has the fire for this stuff and does me proud. It was a great year. Now we cod fish for awhile
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
niko

i had a good season overall. i made 10 trips and went 6 for 7 on fish. ballys, sluggos, bluefish, and a popper did the trick. i learned alot this season. teamwork is key, gear needs to be flawless and up to the task, modifying things to work on my little boat. had alot of fun, can't wait to start codfishing
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Pinthis is holding.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote