Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
buckman

Tuna hearing, March 4th

Our government (NOAA/NMFS) is considering reducing the US tuna quota and giving it to other countries because we have not met the quota in past years.

The important thing is that the NMFS is holding a hearing on this matter on March 4th, 2009 from 3-5 PM at its headquarters in Gloucester at 55 Great Republic Drive. Tuna fisherman whether commercial or recreational should make every effort to attend this meeting and let the NMFS know we dont want our quota reduced and given to another foreign country.

I would hope to have a showing at least a good as we had at the Chieften
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
buckman

Sample letter Steve James/Tom Depersia--please customize, your own words, version of this letter and send to NMFS before 3/4/09

February 26, 2009

Sarah McLaughlin
HMS Management Division
Office of Sustainable Fisheries (F/SF1)
NMFS
55 Great Republic Drive
Gloucester, MA 01930

re: “0648-AX12”- 2009 Atlantic Bluefin Tuna Quota Specifications and Effort Controls

Dear Ms. McLaughlin:

I am writing to you to express my concern regarding the NMFS proposed rules pertaining to the 2009 bluefin tuna quotas. In light of ICCAT’s “use it or lose it” BFT quota policy, I ask that the NMFS assist US fishermen in every possibly way to help ensure that this natural resource remains with US fishermen.

I ask that NMFS ease effort control measures so that the US fishermen, both recreational and commercial, have a better chance of achieving the 2009 US BFT quota as specified by ICCAT. Under the current NMFS BFT effort controls, the US doesn’t harvest nearly enough bluefin tuna to fill the ICCAT quota and unless something is done, transfer of US allocation to other nations will result in two very bad things—the permanent loss of United States allotted tuna catch (both commercial and recreational), and a significant reduction in tuna population via ICCAT approved commercial take of 45” by nations to whom that transfer is made.

There are several measures that NMFS can take to help increase in the harvest of US fishermen, these include:

1. Increase the number of BFT retained recreationally from one fish to two fish per day. Specifically, one fish between 27” and <47” and one fish between 47” and <73”.
2. Allow the Charter/Headboat Category to fish both recreationally and commercially in the same day and on the same trip.
3. Allow the sale of BFT based on 65” CFL instead of 73”.
4. Allow General Category BFT fisherman to land up to three fish per day for each day of the trip (i.e. 2 days = 6 fish).

I believe the implementation of these measures would help enable US fishermen to reach their allotted quota and help prevent ICCAT from transferring the quota to other countries. The recreational sport fishing interests of Americans are at stake along with thousands of US jobs.

Please ease the NMFS effort controls associated with BFT and help the US retain this valuable natural resource.

Sincerely,
(your name &address)

Submissions: Submit all electronic public comments via the Federal eRulemaking Portal http://www.regulations.gov
Fax: 978-281-9340, Attn: Sarah McLaughlin
Mail: Sarah McLaughlin, Highly Migratory Species Management Division, Office of Sustainable Fisheries (F/SF1), NMFS, 55 Great Republic Dr., Gloucester, MA 01930
Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
animal

I'll try to be there.
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

I'm going to go.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
big jay

Already took the day off.

I'll be there.
big jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
buckman

Anyone want a ride, we will be coming from Mansfield.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Maybe we should be fighting to reduce the other countries quotas, rather than making sure we can kill all we want?
I don't follow BFT management as closely as I do inshore species

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Maybe we should be fighting to reduce the other countries quotas, rather than making sure we can kill all we want?
I don't follow BFT management as closely as I do inshore species
I think the quota is set keeping in mind sound managment of the species. The problem is that we will lose our share to other countries that are less sensitive to the size limits. They take much smaller fish that don't get a chance to breed and we want to take fish 65" and over. If we lose this portion, other countries will take that tonnage in small fish.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Anyone want a ride, we will be coming from Mansfield.
Brian,this isn't fishermen trying to take more fish,it's a governmental body,trying to take what's already ours,and give it to countries who already can't be trusted to follow the rules.
Buckman,I didn't realize the meeting was scheduled during work hours,no doubt intentionally.If I gotta,I'll leave work early,but I could use the dough,are you expecting a good turnout,or what?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
buckmanjr

Seems like a LOT of guys are going to be at this meeting!

HOTREELS
buckmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Animal,
Typically these meetings everyone says yes I'll go but during a work week during work hours many cant justify cutting out. This was done intentionally. Very important meeting BUT putting food on the table or paying the mortgage is more important during this horrible economic time. The organizers know this and by making the meeting during working hours they place a hardship on the working class. Choose WORK/FAMILY or MEETING/HOBBY for most of us. The watermen who work the sea for their income well they can take the day off but it still impacts them financially. I think you'll see the commercials have a good showing and the charter guys will be present with a handful of recs there as well. 500 people I doubt but 100 maybe.

This reeks of something awful.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
buckman

We are leaving at 2:00. Anyone want a ride let me know. Jeff and I will hit Fishermen Outfitters if time allows.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
clambo

Buckman give me a call if you are going mike/clambo 508-626-6357 I live in Attleboro.
clambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
animal

I'm getting out of work at noon.I can make Mansfield before two,if you have room.Otherwise,I'll make the drive.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal View Post
Brian,this isn't fishermen trying to take more fish,it's a governmental body,trying to take what's already ours,and give it to countries who already can't be trusted to follow the rules.
Buckman,I didn't realize the meeting was scheduled during work hours,no doubt intentionally.If I gotta,I'll leave work early,but I could use the dough,are you expecting a good turnout,or what?
Bob, I got that,
my point is, maybe they should be focusing on getting the other countries to take less or larger fish...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
buckman

Reminder!!!! Attend the March 4th Bluefin Tuna meeting at 55 Great Republic Drive, Gloucester, Ma... The time is 3 to 5 pm.

The purpose of the meeting is to address effort controls for this year. Catches/underage in 2009 will weigh heavily at the ICCAT 2010 meeting. Leaving less on the table now strengthens our argument that there is less to give away later.

The message should be clear, loosen the effort controls for what ever category that you fish in so that you can achieve higher catch levels. Support other user groups.

We should not be punished for fishing with conservative standards that are above those set for other nations.

We have the infrastructure and willingness in place to commercially and recreationally to catch the fish.

Express your feelings and ideas. Support East Coast Tuna and the General Category Tuna Association.