Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #31
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
As I said earlier, the majority of your posts are insulting.

You just insulted Spence. You can't help yourself.

What wrong with insulting Spence ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
When you do it I just assume it's flirting. With Jim it's just a tic.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #33
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Nothing, he usually deserves it.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #34
PaulS

"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

Tell us more about what ails blacks. Interesting reading.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #35
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Obama has actually brought into the dialogue, not a greater civility, but a greater fear of saying anything that might be perceived as an insult for fear of being called a racist.
Yes, it certainly put a halt to opponents using his black skin and funny name in a relentless smear campaign to undermine his identity as an American.

Nope, nobody willing to go there...
Old 12-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #36
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Who was inciting violence? Protests in NY and other cities have been peaceful for the most part aside from the Ferguson riots. I don't see an issue with a politician supporting First Amendment rights.
Really? San Francisco on Black Friday...Cops shouldn't have to put up with this BS...

http://vimeo.com/113145046

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 12-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Really? San Francisco on Black Friday...Cops shouldn't have to put up with this BS...

I read about that. Multiple police assaults, stabbing, gunshot wounds, bonfires in the streets...

Wait, that was after the Giants won the World Series!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #38
Piscator

Quote:
I read about that. Multiple police assaults, stabbing, gunshot wounds, bonfires in the streets...

Wait, that was after the Giants won the World Series!
Cute but don't deflect Spence.....this video was on Black Friday....protests and violence agaist police.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 12-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

You sure that wasn't Oakland....I would have though San Fran would look more like this

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #40
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
You sure that wasn't Oakland....I would have though San Fran would look more like this

Ha ha...good point...you are correct, thanks for the clarification!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
Cute but don't deflect Spence.....this video was on Black Friday....protests and violence agaist police.
San Fran...

I believe this was mostly peaceful but had an element create some issues that in both cases spiraled. Both were nearly in the same area.

The violence isn't right certainly, but this is what often happens when you get a spontaneous crowd. Still, the vast majority of protesters nationwide appear to have been civil.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #42
detbuch

Quote:
Yes, it certainly put a halt to opponents using his black skin and funny name in a relentless smear campaign to undermine his identity as an American.

Nope, nobody willing to go there...
So now, after you relentlessly smear those who are off-handedly called "extremists," you go to the "extreme" card. Where did I say "nobody" would go there? I was responding to Paul's assumption that Obama was the most insulted President ever.

Sure, there are those who will not be intimidated, no matter what the threat, against smearing. Just as there will be those who insist that something is a racist smear, even when rational discussions don't demonstrate such characterization. I suppose, one could use your phrase and say when it is demonstrably shown that something accused of being racist is really not, that would merely be an inability to lay a finger on the proof, and the real racism is there in spite of the evidence to the contrary.

My response to Paul was that Obama is not the most insulted President in history. Far from it. The reason I mentioned, among others that I didn't think so, was the fear by some of being accused of racism--the fear of the race card. Not that nobody would resort to racism. Your resort to the "extreme" card is inappropriate. I know you don't like inappropriate. Surprised you'ld go there. Not.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
San Fran...

The violence isn't right certainly, but this is what often happens when you get a spontaneous crowd.
How on earth do "you get a spontaneous crowd"? "Spontaneous" suggests arising from its own motivation, not connected with preceding events or rhetoric. You seem to like this "spontaneous crowd" thing as an explanation to absolve those who could have prevented it, as in the Benghazi "spontaneous" eruption that killed our folks.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #44
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
So even though the overwhelming majority of blacks murder victims are killed by other blacks, the liberal elites (Obama, Holder, the media, Sharpton, DiBlasio) are obsessed with the tragis, but statistically insignificant, instances where white cops are involved.

Why is that? If blacks are several times more likely (many many times more likely) to be killed by fellow blacks than by white cops, why are we wasting so much energy on the white cops? Why? Here's why, the left needs these situations to galvanize their base and to reinforce their disgusting, demonstrably false narrative.

In the meantime, they don't care that it works up public resentment against honest cops, and also does absolutely nothing to actually help poor blacks, who would clearly be best served by adopting the exact agenda put forth by a group PaulS demeaned as teabaggers. Kind of ironic when you think of it that way. It is Obama/Holder/Sharpton/DiBlassio who are doing incalculable damage to poor blacks by patting them on the back and saying "there, there" instead of doing what that teabagger Bill Clinton did, showing them that tough love is still love, and incentivizing them to put down the pipe, pull their pants up, cover the tattoos, and get to work.
Jim, I think you'll like this article a lot. Kind of encapsulates a wider span of this nonsense:

http://humanevents.com/2014/12/22/ne...tm_campaign=nl
Old 12-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #45
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Who was inciting violence? Protests in NY and other cities have been peaceful for the most part aside from the Ferguson riots. I don't see an issue with a politician supporting First Amendment rights.

Peaceful ???

Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #46
buckman

[QUOTE=spence;1059932

The violence isn't right certainly, but this is what often happens when you get a spontaneous
crowd.
[/QUOTE]

If you're going to quote Susan Rice at least give her the credit
Old 12-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
If you're going to quote Susan Rice at least give her the credit
Good one! The prep school is paying off...
Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #48
spence

Quote:
So now, after you relentlessly smear those who are off-handedly called "extremists," you go to the "extreme" card. Where did I say "nobody" would go there? I was responding to Paul's assumption that Obama was the most insulted President ever.

Sure, there are those who will not be intimidated, no matter what the threat, against smearing. Just as there will be those who insist that something is a racist smear, even when rational discussions don't demonstrate such characterization. I suppose, one could use your phrase and say when it is demonstrably shown that something accused of being racist is really not, that would merely be an inability to lay a finger on the proof, and the real racism is there in spite of the evidence to the contrary.

My response to Paul was that Obama is not the most insulted President in history. Far from it. The reason I mentioned, among others that I didn't think so, was the fear by some of being accused of racism--the fear of the race card. Not that nobody would resort to racism. Your resort to the "extreme" card is inappropriate. I know you don't like inappropriate. Surprised you'ld go there. Not.
Extreme card? Hell, the birther movement was GOP mainstream. Shall we count the politicians and Republican celebs who dabbled in Kenyan sensibilities? Should we go through the posts here where people couldn't help themselves but to stress the President's middle name?

It's a good thing the fear of political correctness kept these chaps at bay what with the POTUS bringing all that blackness to the office and all.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #49
spence

Quote:
How on earth do "you get a spontaneous crowd"? "Spontaneous" suggests arising from its own motivation, not connected with preceding events or rhetoric. You seem to like this "spontaneous crowd" thing as an explanation to absolve those who could have prevented it, as in the Benghazi "spontaneous" eruption that killed our folks.
You have a planned peaceful event with unwanted elements showing up and turning a march into a disorganized crowd where violence erupts. Not rocket science.

But any opportunity to bring up Benghazi we should embrace.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #50
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Tell us more about what ails blacks. Interesting reading.
The biggest ailment,as any honest person knows, is that the current black culture has turned its back on the path to avoid poverty, and the current black culture embraces things that are almost guaranteed to lead to poverty. In the opinion of money, black culture has descended to this (75% of black babies born out of wedlock) as a direct result of liberal policies.

It's not hard to figure out the ailment, Paul. Don't ask me how to fix it, but the problem is obvious. Obvious.

On 9/11,NYPD was viewed as heroes. What a great cultural leap forward we have made, thanks to the left. There is so much dishonesty in the liberal agenda, for example, that there is a systemic culture of racism among NYPD? There are rare, isolated incidents (the last 2 seemingly had zero to do with race) which Sharpton and Omaba use as an opportunity to paint cops as today's version of the Klan. It's a big lie, and i think you and Spence both know that.

Blatant, obvious lies. But it gets them votes, and that's all that matters.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
You have a planned peaceful event with unwanted elements showing up and turning a march into a disorganized crowd where violence erupts. Not rocket science.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean in general, but specifically the events in question? Did the unwanted elements just happen to show up? Or was there purpose in their presence. Were the majority of marchers saying "what do we want, dead cops" saying that by spontaneous accident or on purpose as planned. Who was the unwanted element in such a crowd? People who opposed what was being chanted? Yeah, I can imagine if a bunch of hard core racists were marching and singing racial epithets, spontaneously mind you, and some peaceful little guy got in the middle of it pleading for tolerance, the racists might spontaneously beat the crap out of him. But I think the racists would not consider the beating just some spontaneous event, but rather a justified retaliation against a deliberate provocation. However possible it could be that some one would accidentally insert himself into a major demonstration which is already filled with reactionary emotion, and then accidentally say or do something to further provoke the demonstrators, however possible that might be, I find it hard to believe in these events. My suspicion, however wrong it may be, is that whatever violence occurred was not spontaneous of the moment. But that it was done, not in the unconscious heat of the moment, but on purpose.

But any opportunity to bring up Benghazi we should embrace.
Yeah, let's just bring up racism and torture any opportunity that can make the other guys look bad.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #52
detbuch

Quote:
Extreme card? Hell, the birther movement was GOP mainstream. Shall we count the politicians and Republican celebs who dabbled in Kenyan sensibilities? Should we go through the posts here where people couldn't help themselves but to stress the President's middle name?

Why are you changing the subject. I referred to YOUR playing the card, not all the other people in the world, liberal or conservative, communist, capitalist . . . or liberal celebs (Democrat--there aren't that many Republican celebs) who on a weekly basis poked fun at or bashed Bush, or Reagan, or Palin, or Cruz, or Tea partiers. I wasn't trying to drag the world into the discussion, just your taking my comment to an extreme. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

It's a good thing the fear of political correctness kept these chaps at bay what with the POTUS bringing all that blackness to the office and all.
No, I wasn't talking about political correctness. I don't think that has ever stopped progressive/liberal Dems from trashing Republican Presidents. It certainly wasn't a barrier against bashing all previous Presidents of either party in the past. Especially before the advent of such "correctness," which is fairly recent in our history. Presidents, politicians in general, were freely insulted before Obama. It was that, Paul's assumption that Obama is the most insulted ever, to which I responded. And it is my opinion, as well as that of "many experts" that the race card prevents many of the insults, even those that don't pertain to race, from being made. That certainly doesn't mean that insults, even many, against Obama haven't happened. Just that not as much as might have if he weren't black. In any event, I don't think any actual stats have been compiled as to who was the most insulted President. Don't think it would be possible to do it. But, it does come with the territory. Take it in good grace and move on. That's what Bush did. I know you like to remind us often that "Bush did it too."
Old 12-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #53
Jim in CT

Spence / PaulS -

The assassin said very explicitly that this was a revenge murder - "two of yours for two of ours", something like that. He was clearly motivated by the racial aspect of the 2 cases. Problem is, in these 2 cases, there is precisely zero evidence that race was a factor. So where did this troubled young man get the idea that Brown and Garner were killed because of race? Hmm? Not from watching Sean Hannity (who is a clown, but you get my point).

Words matter. And the larger the pul[it one has, the more responsibility one has to be responsible with their words. All those signs "black lives matter", when there is no evidence to support the notion that there is a systemic pattern of racial assassinations among white police officers. James Woods nailed it, Sharpton is a "pig", and it's unfathomable that a sitting President would anoint him with such elevated status. Quite a circle of patriots Obama has surrounded himself with - Michelle (wasn't proud of my country despite being an Ivy League educated millionaire), Bill Ayers, Rev Wright, Al Sharpton. Quite a crew.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #54
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence / PaulS -

The assassin said very explicitly that this was a revenge murder - "two of yours for two of ours", something like that. He was clearly motivated by the racial aspect of the 2 cases. Problem is, in these 2 cases, there is precisely zero evidence that race was a factor. So where did this troubled young man get the idea that Brown and Garner were killed because of race? Hmm? Not from watching Sean Hannity (who is a clown, but you get my point).
Good we can agree that Hannity is a clown. He's actually much less of a clown on his radio show but for some reason turns it up for TV.

This whole story isn't really about Brown and Garner. It's about a much broader perception that black men are judged and treated with a negative bias. The spotlight on recent events has just snowballed and people are demanding action.

The guy was also clearly crazy.

Quote:
Words matter. And the larger the pul[it one has, the more responsibility one has to be responsible with their words. All those signs "black lives matter", when there is no evidence to support the notion that there is a systemic pattern of racial assassinations among white police officers. James Woods nailed it, Sharpton is a "pig", and it's unfathomable that a sitting President would anoint him with such elevated status. Quite a circle of patriots Obama has surrounded himself with - Michelle (wasn't proud of my country despite being an Ivy League educated millionaire), Bill Ayers, Rev Wright, Al Sharpton. Quite a crew.
I don't think there's a "systemic pattern of racial assassinations" by the police. I do think there appears to be patterns of bias within the system that leads disproportionally to more killing of unarmed black men. The cops aren't out looking for people to shoot.

I also think the process of oversight in these events is so heavily biased towards the police that it gives the appearance the system isn't fair. Granted, the police should be given the benefit of doubt, but the indictment process could likely be improved.

Either the system is biased against black men or people just seem to think so...either way the outrage is real. A big problem is a lack of good national data...this would be a great place to start.

And as for those "words" you keep mentioning. How about the ones claiming the Mayor is nearly complicit in this crime? How much damage are they doing?

Last edited by spence; 12-23-2014 at 09:56 AM..
Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #55
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
As was the guy in PA a couple of weeks ago, or the couple that killed the cops in Nevada earlier this year.....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #56
spence

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean in general, but specifically the events in question? Did the unwanted elements just happen to show up? Or was there purpose in their presence. Were the majority of marchers saying "what do we want, dead cops" saying that by spontaneous accident or on purpose as planned. Who was the unwanted element in such a crowd? People who opposed what was being chanted? Yeah, I can imagine if a bunch of hard core racists were marching and singing racial epithets, spontaneously mind you, and some peaceful little guy got in the middle of it pleading for tolerance, the racists might spontaneously beat the crap out of him. But I think the racists would not consider the beating just some spontaneous event, but rather a justified retaliation against a deliberate provocation. However possible it could be that some one would accidentally insert himself into a major demonstration which is already filled with reactionary emotion, and then accidentally say or do something to further provoke the demonstrators, however possible that might be, I find it hard to believe in these events. My suspicion, however wrong it may be, is that whatever violence occurred was not spontaneous of the moment. But that it was done, not in the unconscious heat of the moment, but on purpose..
Weren't there over 25 thousand people marching in NYC? Your example while offensive is in the dozens. It's being spun by some media as if to claim there's a militant uprising welling against the police.

Isn't that every bit and perhaps more the incitement you're arguing against?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #57
spence

Quote:
Why are you changing the subject. I referred to YOUR playing the card, not all the other people in the world, liberal or conservative, communist, capitalist . . . or liberal celebs (Democrat--there aren't that many Republican celebs) who on a weekly basis poked fun at or bashed Bush, or Reagan, or Palin, or Cruz, or Tea partiers. I wasn't trying to drag the world into the discussion, just your taking my comment to an extreme. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

No, I wasn't talking about political correctness. I don't think that has ever stopped progressive/liberal Dems from trashing Republican Presidents. It certainly wasn't a barrier against bashing all previous Presidents of either party in the past. Especially before the advent of such "correctness," which is fairly recent in our history. Presidents, politicians in general, were freely insulted before Obama. It was that, Paul's assumption that Obama is the most insulted ever, to which I responded. And it is my opinion, as well as that of "many experts" that the race card prevents many of the insults, even those that don't pertain to race, from being made. That certainly doesn't mean that insults, even many, against Obama haven't happened. Just that not as much as might have if he weren't black. In any event, I don't think any actual stats have been compiled as to who was the most insulted President. Don't think it would be possible to do it. But, it does come with the territory. Take it in good grace and move on. That's what Bush did. I know you like to remind us often that "Bush did it too."
Not changing the subject, I just think it's pretty silly to claim political correctness had muted criticism of Obama when he's been subjected to the most racially motivated attacks I've ever seen.

As for the most insulted? I'm sure history has it's moments but certainly within my lifetime.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:
Good we can agree that Hannity is a clown. He's actually much less of a clown on his radio show but for some reason turns it up for TV.

This whole story isn't really about Brown and Garner. It's about a much broader perception that black men are judged and treated with a negative bias. The spotlight on recent events has just snowballed and people are demanding action.

I don't think there's a "systemic pattern of racial assassinations" by the police. I do think there appears to be patterns of bias within the system that leads disproportionally to more killing of unarmed black men. The cops aren't out looking for people to shoot.

I also think the process of oversight in these events is so heavily biased towards the police that it gives the appearance the system isn't fair. Granted, the police should be given the benefit of doubt, but the indictment process could likely be improved.

Either the system is biased against black men or people just seem to think so...either way the outrage is real. A big problem is a lack of good national data...this would be a great place to start.

And as for those "words" you keep mentioning. How about the ones claiming the Mayor is nearly complicit in this crime? How much damage are they doing?
"Good we can agree that Hannity is a clown"

100% agreed.

"It's about a much broader perception that black men are judged and treated with a negative bias. "

I also agree that the issue is the perceived bias toward black men. But I disagree that that bias exists in a systemic way - there are racists of course, but the fact that we have a 2-term black president ought to end the myth that institutional racism exists. It does not exist. But your side will not get off that soapbox, and it's done for political capital.], and at the expense of the people you claim you're trying to help.

"The spotlight on recent events has just snowballed and people are demanding action"

Agreed 100%. But it is disgraceful that the media and the liberals tried to conect these 2 recent events to race, because there isn't a shred of evidence that race had anything to do with it. But people like Sharpton and Obama can't ever say that, because liberals, as a group, view everything through the lens of racism.

If we want to talk about police brutality as a result of these events, fine. But there's no need (other than for political capital) to use these events to fan the flames of racial animosity. I can't say it any more accurately that that.

"bias within the system that leads disproportionally to more killing of unarmed black men. The cops aren't out looking for people to shoot."

Again, you are too blinded by ideology to see the truth here. Please tel me which part of "the system" sets black men up to me more likely to be killed by cops. I agree blacks are disproportionately killed by cops. But it's not because cops hold blacks to a different standard, it's because blacks are, because of their culture, more likely to find themselves in the socio-economic condition that leads to crime.

That's not the fault of the Koch brothers or Sarah Palin, it's not the fault of Bush or the Tea Party. If anything, black culture has been pushed there by the liberal agenda, which tells blacks that nothing that goes wrong is ever their fault, it's always that they're victimized by whitey. Liberals have also reduced incentive to excel by making many addicted to welfare.

Can you specify which part of the "system leads disproportionally to more killing of unarmed black men". How is "our system" causing this, exactly? Do blacks who go to college and get degrees in engineering not succeed? With afirmative action and quotas, if anything, "the system" is tilted in favor of blacks who are willing to make god decisions and work hard.

"A big problem is a lack of good national data" Wrong. The national data has to be there, they just don't share it on MSNBC because it spits in thre face of their agenda. If anyone claims to care about black lives, why begin with white cops killing black kids, when the vast majority of black kids are killed by other black kids? Why make so much fuss over something so rare? Political theater.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #59
Jim in CT

Spence -

"How about the ones claiming the Mayor is nearly complicit in this crime? How much damage are they doing?"

He's not an accessory or anything. But do you deny that his words fuel the outrage? There is absolutely no way you can connect racism to what happened to Garner, but that's all anyone talked about.

DiBlasio didn't create racial animosity, but he (and Sharpton and Obama) make it worse, by claiming it is occurring when clearly it's not. And just as importantly, it takes attention and resources away from th ereal problem, which is lifting these people out of poverty for good. Telling them that their lives don't matter to white cops is demonstrably falese and counter-productive. But it gets your base riled up, so it's OK.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Not changing the subject, I just think it's pretty silly to claim political correctness had muted criticism of Obama when he's been subjected to the most racially motivated attacks I've ever seen.

So when a few kooks on the left yell "we want dead cops", you dismiss that as the lunatic fringe (which I agree with) When a few kooks on the right make racist comments about Obama, you say it's significant.

So when the left acts stupidly, you dismiss it. When the right acts stupidly, you hold us accountable.

See any flaws there, Spence? Any hypocrisy? Any at all? No?