Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #61
Pete F.
Canceled

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #62
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
It is what happened
What you said is not what happened:

"A head of state using a standing army"

There was no standing army being used against the will of a state governor. Washington D.C. is not a state. The President as commander-in-chief of the District of Columbia's national guard has the legal, constitutional power to use it in that city. The original notion of the Founders, that the central government did not have the authority to impose the power of a standing federal army on the states and the free citizens therein, never applied to D.C.

to occupy an American city, compel citizens off the street,

The National Guard were not "occupying" D.C. A military occupation is generally a military controlling a foreign territory by force. The American city in this case was being occupied by protesters, many of which were not residents of D.C., not by a standing army which was lawfully protecting the jurisdiction at the behest of the city's commander in chief.

stifle free expression and assembly, using paramilitary forces to smoke clergy out of their churches at the head of state’s whim, is pretty much the founders’ nightmare.

Free expression and assembly were not "stifled." It was moved a small distance. Non-peaceful, unlawful expression may have been stifled. I haven't heard about people being smoked out of their churches. I did hear about people not being allowed to attend their churches during the pandemic shutdown.

The Founders would have definitely approved of the President ordering his federal troops to quell destructive civil disorder in D.C. The Thugs and ANTIFA in the crowd had been turning the peaceful "occupation" into a violent, dangerous, life threatening, destructive one. The Founder's nightmare would have been a President who allowed the Capitol to be desecrated by thugs and criminals.

As for clearing a path for the President, the people had the right to hear him. The right to protest does not give the right to stifle the free speech of others, nor the right to deny others the right to hear their President.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #63
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
What you said is not what happened:

"A head of state using a standing army"

There was no standing army being used against the will of a state governor. Washington D.C. is not a state. The President as commander-in-chief of the District of Columbia's national guard has the legal, constitutional power to use it in that city. The original notion of the Founders, that the central government did not have the authority to impose the power of a standing federal army on the states and the free citizens therein, never applied to D.C.

to occupy an American city, compel citizens off the street,

The National Guard were not "occupying" D.C. A military occupation is generally a military controlling a foreign territory by force. The American city in this case was being occupied by protesters, many of which were not residents of D.C., not by a standing army which was lawfully protecting the jurisdiction at the behest of the city's commander in chief.

stifle free expression and assembly, using paramilitary forces to smoke clergy out of their churches at the head of state’s whim, is pretty much the founders’ nightmare.

Free expression and assembly were not "stifled." It was moved a small distance. Non-peaceful, unlawful expression may have been stifled. I haven't heard about people being smoked out of their churches. I did hear about people not being allowed to attend their churches during the pandemic shutdown.

The Founders would have definitely approved of the President ordering his federal troops to quell destructive civil disorder in D.C. The Thugs and ANTIFA in the crowd had been turning the peaceful "occupation" into a violent, dangerous, life threatening, destructive one. The Founder's nightmare would have been a President who allowed the Capitol to be desecrated by thugs and criminals.

As for clearing a path for the President, the people had the right to hear him. The right to protest does not give the right to stifle the free speech of others, nor the right to deny others the right to hear their President.
Weasel words, but Tweety doesn't care about the rule of law anyways.

Citizens have the right to enter one state and leave another, the right to be treated as a welcome visitor rather than a hostile stranger.

Citizens of the United States have a constitutional right to assemble and the right to speak.

You have not listened or looked to see what happened, willful ignorance once again. As is typical of authoritarians, you ignore the greater good and focus on the lesser evil.
They physically drove the rector from the church courtyard.
There was no violence until it was escalated by government forces.
They drove all the people out and he said no words.

It was a photo op, pure and simple

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #64
detbuch

Quote:
Weasel words, but Tweety doesn't care about the rule of law anyways.

Yes he does. (that was easy)

Citizens have the right to enter one state and leave another, the right to be treated as a welcome visitor rather than a hostile stranger.

Sure, but they don't have the right to do or go wherever they want.

Citizens of the United States have a constitutional right to assemble and the right to speak.

They were not stopped from doing so. Citizens do not have the right to occupy whatever space they want.

You have not listened or looked to see what happened, willful ignorance once again. As is typical of authoritarians, you ignore the greater good and focus on the lesser evil.

I assume that you and I have a different view of what the greater good is. Being an authoritarian, you believe your view is the rule. I have stated many times in many ways what I think what the greater good is in government. It would be a useless expenditure of energy to tell you again. You have not listened. You ignore. And I don't recall you ever saying precisely what that greater good is.

They physically drove the rector from the church courtyard.
There was no violence until it was escalated by government forces.
They drove all the people out and he said no words.

As wdmso might say, that was simplistic.

It was a photo op, pure and simple
Among other things, it was a photo op. It's what politicians do. But there was a definite message or two in the op. A message partially in response to the lie that he was "hiding like a coward in the bunker." The President doesn't make those decisions. The secret services does. And I'm guessing that, for security reasons, the secret service was not approving of the op.

And "the world" was divided about the message. Unlike the fake anti-Trump media, there was a large world that approved of his message. And you probably scoff at that. I'm guessing, it makes you feel good about yourself to do that.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #65
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Among other things, it was a photo op. It's what politicians do. But there was a definite message or two in the op. A message partially in response to the lie that he was "hiding like a coward in the bunker." The President doesn't make those decisions. The secret services does. And I'm guessing that, for security reasons, the secret service was not approving of the op.

And "the world" was divided about the message. Unlike the fake anti-Trump media, there was a large world that approved of his message. And you probably scoff at that. I'm guessing, it makes you feel good about yourself to do that.
In the German part of the "world" Tweety is viewed as the greatest threat to world peace with a percentage greater than Kim Jong Un, Ali Kahmenei, Vladimir Putin and Xi Jingpin combined, so apparently they disagree with you and the other 30% of Americans that support Tweety.

His self image is so bad and he is such a wimp, that in order to assuage his ego he had to have troops drive Americans out of Lafayette Square.
What a poor excuse for a leader.

First, the president started the fire. He kept adding fuel.

Now, he wants credit for attempting to put it out.

Meanwhile the house is burning.

And don't forget that in this day of the iphone, the amount of police brutality at the anti-police brutality protests is not helping the image. That is not all the officers, but as a percentage it is higher than the number of criminals among the protesters.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #66
detbuch

Quote:
In the German part of the "world" Tweety is viewed as the greatest threat to world peace with a percentage greater than Kim Jong Un, Ali Kahmenei, Vladimir Putin and Xi Jingpin combined, so apparently they disagree with you and the other 30% of Americans that support Tweety.

Far be it from me to tell the Germans how to think. "The World" thinks Germans are authoritarian. But I also have read that there is a lot of dissent in Germany about their Progressive globalist authoritarians, especially their immigration policies. It's not a solid block of opinion in Germany. The Bavarians and others have pushed back against Merkel's policies. There seems to be a lot of sentiment in various parts of Germany for maintaining their cultural heritage which they feel is being eradicated by EU centric globalism.

His self image is so bad and he is such a wimp, that in order to assuage his ego he had to have troops drive Americans out of Lafayette Square.

He appears to have a very elevated self image.

What a poor excuse for a leader.

Good Lord!! He led the Repubs from a certain, crushing defeat, and permanent irrelevance to becoming the dominat power in the federal government as well as many states. You say a lot of stupid, self-serving, bitter, whiny stuff.

First, the president started the fire. He kept adding fuel.

Disagree.

Now, he wants credit for attempting to put it out.

Hope he and the rest of Congress and the states get together and put it out.

Meanwhile the house is burning.

It burns a lot. Rises from the ashes. USA, USA, USA!!

And don't forget that in this day of the iphone, the amount of police brutality at the anti-police brutality protests is not helping the image. That is not all the officers, but as a percentage it is higher than the number of criminals among the protesters.
OK, I won't forget . . . not.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #67
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
A head of state using a standing army to occupy an American city, compel citizens off the street, stifle free expression and assembly, using paramilitary forces to smoke clergy out of their churches at the head of state’s whim, is pretty much the founders’ nightmare.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
This is juuuuuust a tad sensationalized... just a liiiiiiiiiiiittle bit....

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:22 AM   #68
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I guess Antifa is having recruiting issues, it’s sad when you have to hire 75 year olds to do your dirty work. It’s also sad and scary we have a president so loopy he signs on to every wacky conspiracy theory that resonates with him.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:28 AM   #69
scottw

Quote:

the amount of police brutality at the anti-police brutality protests is not helping the image. That is not all the officers, but as a percentage it is higher than the number of criminals among the protesters.
oh...please try to quantify this gem
Old 06-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #70
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
oh...please try to quantify this gem
id also like to see some data to support that statement.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #71
Pete F.
Canceled

I'll let you all prove that wrong, you can do it at the same time you find the evidence for all the antifa Tweety and Barr found.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #72
Pete F.
Canceled

Is Tweety planning to have protesters teargassed again?

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Any protesters, anarchists, agitators, looters or lowlifes who are going to Oklahoma please understand, you will not be treated like you have been in New York, Seattle, or Minneapolis. It will be a much different scene!
9:34 AM · Jun 19, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #73
spence

Quote:
Is Tweety planning to have protesters teargassed again?

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Any protesters, anarchists, agitators, looters or lowlifes who are going to Oklahoma please understand, you will not be treated like you have been in New York, Seattle, or Minneapolis. It will be a much different scene!
9:34 AM · Jun 19, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
He's trying to incite violence, taunt Antifa to actually show up.

It's insane.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #74
PaulS

A petty, vile man who dis-honors the office.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #75
Sea Dangles

Contempt for law and order seems to be en vogue amongst our brave #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s. Raise your hand if you know what happens next.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #76
PaulS

Hey, I'm going to the canal tonight. Why don't you meet up?
Old 06-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #77
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Hey, I'm going to the canal tonight. Why don't you meet up?
At the canal?

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #78
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
At the canal?
If I'm going to the canal why would I want to meet up anywhere else
Old 06-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #79
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
If I'm going to the canal why would I want to meet up anywhere else
I would be happy to meet Paul. I won’t be fishing, but would certainly enjoy putting a face to the name. Tell me where and what time. We are renting a beach house close by so I am flexible.
I guess my confusion was due to you saying that you don’t associate with me. I am happy you reconsidered.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #80
PaulS

I'll PM you my cell phone and you can decide since I'll be fishing all night
Old 06-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #81
spence

I can just see it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	67187  
Old 06-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #82
spence

Recent leaked report from the DHS on protest threats mentions Antifa how many times?
Old 06-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #83
PaulS

PM wont go through
Old 06-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #84
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

I am censoring the word Lib tard - it is a dumb phrase that has worn out its initial unique sliver of comedy.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #85
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I am censoring the word Lib tard - it is a dumb phrase that has worn out its initial unique sliver of comedy.
And it's offensive.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #86
Sea Dangles

Wow, a guy who is known for stealing spots won’t tell me where.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #87
RickBomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Hell yeah, homie!

John Redmond Thinks He's Smart By Changing My Avatar
Old 06-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #88
Pete F.
Canceled

Intelligence analysts warned law enforcement this week that far-right extremist “boogaloo” members live in—and may be setting sights on—D.C. And a separate DHS memo sent to LE today is focused entirely on threat of boogaloo violence.
The assessment is striking given public emphasis Trump and Barr have placed on alleged violence carried out by antifa, while refusing to specifically identify far-right groups like boogaloo that have been charged in recent weeks for acts ranging from felony murder to terrorism.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #89
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And it's offensive.
The truth always hurts

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 06-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #90
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote: