Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 09-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
spence

Dirt Cellar

After cleaning out most of the cellar the other weekend I'm looking for ways to make some subtle improvements without going crazy. Right now it's a dirt floor, stone foundation, spiderwebs and insulation that's decomposed and hanging from the ceiling. It's pretty nasty.

We do get surface water that seeps from the foundation, but the drain and sump I put in some time ago appears to handle that without an issue. Of course it's humid.

I don't think it's not a big enough space to warrant digging out and pouring a slab. Was thinking about just smoothing the floor, vapor barrier or heavy poly and a few inches of stone. New insulation as well.

Don't need to seal it tight as it's an older home, but just trying to make it a little more useful.

Ideas?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
ecduzitgood
time to go

Grow lights, fan, and a trowel. Let us know when it's up and running
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
spence

My electric bill is big enough with the pond pump running 24/7.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Pull down any insulation you want to replace. Push broom to knock down cobwebs. Pressure wash with fan nozzle the foundation down to floor. Pump will take out water, but check the pick up. Hard rake out any loose dirt you can get rid of. Let dry. Floor fan would speed this up.
Then your vapor barrier and 1 1/2 inch crushed stone. Build a plywood chute through basement window or down bulkhead to expedite the delivery. Use a wheelbarrow and if you can get or rent a dumptruck to wait while you pour from truck to wheelbarrow and unload. Definitely worth the price versus shoveling the stone into wheelbarrow.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
basswipe

In years past when the painting was slow I did many a demo jobs.Dust mask,gloves and eye protection when pulling the insulation.Your eyes and lungs will be thankful.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
Nebe

Id just move.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
buckman

I agree with nightfighter , I would have somebody spray icinine in the ceiling . Fiberglass just gives the critters place to live and if you do closed cell it'll help keep the moisture and musty odor from coming up through the floors . The wife would like that especially when she's looking for something to cheer her up after November 😁
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I would have somebody spray icinine in the ceiling.
I assume you meant insulation? How does that work with electrical and plumbing between the rafters? I'd think you'd want access to all that?
Old 09-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
basswipe

Big negative on the icynene on basement ceilings(aka your 1st floor).Access to plumbing,heating and electrical now becomes non-accessible,good 'ol fiberglass bats will do.Critters are easily dealt with by simply sealing up any access points and if they are already there then kill or trap them.

As far as moisture weeping from the basement walls hit them with a coat or two of Dry-lok,cheap enough to do albeit a little messy.Active leaks are a different story.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I assume you meant insulation? How does that work with electrical and plumbing between the rafters? I'd think you'd want access to all that?
If you have shut offs, juction boxes and clean outs you'll need to have access to those but you don't have access to the plumbing between your first and second floor and a lot of people with finished basements have finished plastered ceilings .
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Jeff, I had closed cell done in the walls in my Garage/boat house (1000 sq. ft.), and I love it. I did R38 19" fiberglass batts in the ceiling.Building is like a Thermos bottle once it's heated with a small wood stove and it stays cool all summer.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote