Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits
iTrader: (0)
 
Got Stripers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: I live in a house, but my soul is at sea.
Posts: 7,720
Enemies of the State

Well I guess the people named yesterday in another five star press briefing are probably lucky they aren't on Putin's list, because Putin would poison their arses.

Trump likes to deal with anyone speaking badly about him in his usual way, me thinks he complains too much, does he have something to hide? Tough year for the intelligence community, it must take incredible resolve to continue to do your job to protect this country, when the guy you work for will throw you under the buss in a heartbeat.

Seems like the farther down the road the Mueller prob gets the thinner his skin gets.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Libtardia
Posts: 21,303
When things get really bad for trump, I bet somehow we magically fabricate a reason to invade Iran. Or.. to “rescue” Venezuela..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
When things get really bad for trump, I bet somehow we magically fabricate a reason to invade Iran. Or.. to “rescue” Venezuela..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Or to stop Montenegro from starting WW3.

Here's his MO. Say something is at a 7 out of 10. Trump claims it's a 1 and a disaster, eff's it all up and now we're left with a 4 as Trump claims a major victory only he could deliver.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Nebe
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Nebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Libtardia
Posts: 21,303
Lol. Yup
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,718
Wow, Spence and Nebe agree! Lol
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 12,096
Typical WH research, threaten to take something, that in at least 2 cases, they don't have.
Shoot off your mouth first, based on something you heard on Faux News, ask questions later.
And poor Sarah has to defend it. Sad
Then complain because the media reports the facts

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
And poor Sarah has to defend it. Sad
Then complain because the media reports the facts
How do you claim you're an evangelical Christian yet you lie for a living?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
Raven
........
iTrader: (0)
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 22,804
Blog Entries: 1
all it will take

is for IRAN to shut down the Strait of Hamuz


and the war is >>>>ON<<<<
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
PaulS
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
PaulS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,581
Can't believe it took 18 months for people to come up with the Trump baby balloon.
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #10
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,718
That balloon is hilarious
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 7,607
Bad people.. we'll take their security clearances... How dare they speak Truth to power it outrageous .... to disrespect the dear leader its pure
partisanship.. no the Truth sometimes hurts


PS Rand Paul needs to one day figure out where he stands on just about everything ...
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Bad people.. we'll take their security clearances... How dare they speak Truth to power it outrageous .... to disrespect the dear leader


PS Rand Paul needs to one day figure out where he stands on just about everything ...
He's just kissing up to earn some chits.

I think Bob Corker's remark on the security clearance flap was right on...

"I can't even believe that somebody at the White House thought up something like this...I mean, when you're going to start taking retribution against people who are your political enemies in this manner, that's the kind of thing that happens in Venezuela."

How soon before he starts talking about repealing the 22nd Amendment?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #13
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 7,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He's just kissing up to earn some chits.

I think Bob Corker's remark on the security clearance flap was right on...

"I can't even believe that somebody at the White House thought up something like this...I mean, when you're going to start taking retribution against people who are your political enemies in this manner, that's the kind of thing that happens in Venezuela."

How soon before he starts talking about repealing the 22nd Amendment?

Some states would do it in a heartbeat ... But he seems stuck on using National Security to circumvent congress ..... and they were So worried about it the past 8 years but now they are all for it ... But their not hypocritical
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #14
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,820
Stupid move, with awful optics, by a petty man. Even Obama, also a vindictive thin-skinned baby, never went this far.

Not a good month for Trump...
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #15
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist
iTrader: (1)
 
JohnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Somewhere between OOB & west of Watch Hill
Posts: 34,335
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Stupid move, with awful optics, by a petty man. Even Obama, also a vindictive thin-skinned baby, never went this far.

Not a good month for Trump...
Well, he didn't bring 2 billion to Iranian Farmers

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

Short version, our Trade is fairly screwed overall and not as fair to us as it should be - too many countries have better deals at our expense. China is rigging the system to their benefit between currency and trade manipulation and at the same time carving out our advantages. This needs to end or it will be a shooting war in 10 years - well it may be a shooting war either way because China is significantly building

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers


Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.


Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #16
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Well, he didn't bring 2 billion to Iranian Farmers

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

Short version, our Trade is fairly screwed overall and not as fair to us as it should be - too many countries have better deals at our expense. China is rigging the system to their benefit between currency and trade manipulation and at the same time carving out our advantages. This needs to end or it will be a shooting war in 10 years - well it may be a shooting war either way because China is significantly building
I don't know a lot about international impacts, but a lot of people seem to agree with you that we get the short end of the stick again and again. And if anyone is going to take a wrecking ball to that, it will be Trump.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 12,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I don't know a lot about international impacts, but a lot of people seem to agree with you that we get the short end of the stick again and again. And if anyone is going to take a wrecking ball to that, it will be Trump.
When I was a kid I used to try and "fix" things, luckily most of them were not worth much as my results were not always what I wanted, I wrecked a few things.
I learned when to defer to people who knew more than I
Trumps approach to trade approximates mine then at mechanical things and I don't see a robust group of people advising him.
He doesn't like people who say that won't work or perhaps you should.....
The consequences of: "Who knew trade could be so complicated" could easily be horrendous, maybe he will get lucky

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
When I was a kid I used to try and "fix" things, luckily most of them were not worth much as my results were not always what I wanted, I wrecked a few things.
I learned when to defer to people who knew more than I
Trumps approach to trade approximates mine then at mechanical things and I don't see a robust group of people advising him.
He doesn't like people who say that won't work or perhaps you should.....
The consequences of: "Who knew trade could be so complicated" could easily be horrendous, maybe he will get lucky
So what should we be doing, to improve our standing in regards to trade? Most people feel we are getting screwed pretty regularly...
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #19
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
So what should we be doing, to improve our standing in regards to trade? Most people feel we are getting screwed pretty regularly...
So Jim, how has our trade policy screwed you?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #20
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So Jim, how has our trade policy screwed you?
I don't know that it has. But I've seen conservatives on Fox say that many of the deals are bad for us, and I've heard liberals on MSNBC say the same thing.

In the other thread, you yourself said there are "some legitimate issues" regarding trade deals. Were you just fear-mongering in that thread, but being the voice of reason in this one? Which is it?
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #21
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
In the other thread, you yourself said there are "some legitimate issues" regarding trade deals. Were you just fear-mongering in that thread, but being the voice of reason in this one? Which is it?
Theft of IP is a legit issue. I think the Chinese manipulation of currency used to be a problem but is old news. We don't have significant trade issues with pretty much all of the Western world. NAFTA wasn't a bad thing. Bailing out of the TPP was foolish.

But just because we have a trade imbalance with a nation doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing. So we have a large trade deficit with China, a lot of that is because Americans like affordable stuff and we don't understand their markets.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #22
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 7,607
White House 'ends public summaries of foreign calls'


Brick by brick

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44955992
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #23
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Theft of IP is a legit issue. I think the Chinese manipulation of currency used to be a problem but is old news. We don't have significant trade issues with pretty much all of the Western world. NAFTA wasn't a bad thing. Bailing out of the TPP was foolish.

But just because we have a trade imbalance with a nation doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing. So we have a large trade deficit with China, a lot of that is because Americans like affordable stuff and we don't understand their markets.
"But just because we have a trade imbalance with a nation doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing."

And I presume that's exactly how some people are reacting, that an imbalance is bad. I agree.

"we have a large trade deficit with China, a lot of that is because Americans like affordable stuff and we don't understand their markets"

I agree with that too, can't disagree with that.

SO I sit just theft of IP and currency manipulation? There aren't tariffs that our exports get slammed with (levied by the importing countries) that can be re-negotiated,?
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #24
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
SO I sit just theft of IP and currency manipulation? There aren't tariffs that our exports get slammed with (levied by the importing countries) that can be re-negotiated,?
Well, that's why we enter into trade agreements. The issue here isn't if negotiation is a good or bad thing, it's about Trump's philosophy.

He thinks that multi-national agreements are always a bad thing, and worse he feels that everything should be 1 on 1 with him. Trump thinks every negotiation has to have a winner and a loser, like he got a deal on a real estate transaction. I don't think he has a clue how the global economy really works.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #25
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Trump thinks every negotiation has to have a winner and a loser, like he got a deal on a real estate transaction. I don't think he has a clue how the global economy really works.
Yep.
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #26
detbuch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
Trump thinks every negotiation has to have a winner and a loser, like he got a deal on a real estate transaction. I don't think he has a clue how the global economy really works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Yep.

From what I've heard Trump thinks that a good deal is win-win, not winner/loser. Heard he just made a deal with the EU:

detbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #27
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
From what I've heard Trump thinks that a good deal is win-win, not winner/loser. Heard he just made a deal with the EU
That's not much of a deal, just an agreement to stop escalation of a trade war with a critical partner. Typical Trump, nothing specific, could change tomorrow.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #28
Jim in CT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
That's not much of a deal, just an agreement to stop escalation of a trade war with a critical partner. Typical Trump, nothing specific, could change tomorrow.

i have zero knowledge of this deal you are bashing. but when you hear something like “ the tax cuts are helping people”, or that gdp growth will look healthy, or about low black unemployment, or what detbuch referred to...do you just reflexively conclude it’s bad because its Trump? or do you do any kind of honest thinking before you decide that whatever he did, can’t possibly be productive? do you have any appreciation for how redundant and predictable you are on these things? if he ran into a burning building to save a puppy, how exactly would you criticize that?

how about you criticize him when he deserves it, and give him credit when he deserves it? what are you afraid would happen, if you gave him credit for somehing? reading your posts, or pete, or wdmso, you’d think he was a cartoon villain.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Jim in CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #29
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,718
It's the standard #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& he always spews Jim. Let him keep chasing his tail.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #30
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 20,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i have zero knowledge of this deal you are bashing. but when you hear something like “ the tax cuts are helping people”, or that gdp growth will look healthy, or about low black unemployment, or what detbuch referred to...do you just reflexively conclude it’s bad because its Trump? or do you do any kind of honest thinking before you decide that whatever he did, can’t possibly be productive? do you have any appreciation for how redundant and predictable you are on these things? if he ran into a burning building to save a puppy, how exactly would you criticize that?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I evaluate all his actions in the broader context.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com