Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 08-04-2023, 03:10 PM   #1
wdmso

Beer best By dates

I went hunting for some of my Favorite Octoberfest Beers Found all 3

Yet one Case Spaten had a best Buy Date of 11\2023

I called the Store to tell them this was old stock and they insisted it was still good. I tried to explain to them I didn't pay 50.00 a case form last years leftovers... some how they couldn't Grasp what i was telling them
then the the excuse turned was well that's what we got from the distributor . and again I told them then your your distributor is giving you last years Batch of octoberfest

My wife claims I am over reacting .. yet my other 2 brands Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr all have best till 2024

thoughts they say they'll take them back so I Am i being unreasonable
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 04:18 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Let’s hurry up and drink them….. :-;
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 07:36 AM   #3
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
I went hunting for some of my Favorite Octoberfest Beers Found all 3

Yet one Case Spaten had a best Buy Date of 11\2023

I called the Store to tell them this was old stock and they insisted it was still good. I tried to explain to them I didn't pay 50.00 a case form last years leftovers... some how they couldn't Grasp what i was telling them
then the the excuse turned was well that's what we got from the distributor . and again I told them then your your distributor is giving you last years Batch of octoberfest

My wife claims I am over reacting .. yet my other 2 brands Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr all have best till 2024

thoughts they say they'll take them back so I Am i being unreasonable
Well that sucks, I'll say this, I have beer i brewed a year ago, sored in the basement/shop room temp., I use natural carbonation to give me my "fizz" no forced carb. like the big guys. the beer is just as good, and in some cases better than it was at the 6-month mark... so your probably OK, but like you said $50 bucks a case you want a good product, at that price i can brew 45-50 bottles. "Back in the day" it was illegal to brew in summer in Bavaria, Marzen was brewed in March, laagered all summer in caves for the falls Oktoberfest, long before the feist bier craze, those Marzens were higher in alcohol and had more hops as a preservative...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:14 AM   #4
wdmso

I’ll give the place credit the owner gave me a full refund. So I ended up leaving with Hofbrau Oktoberfestbeir not my favorite but it’s nice to mix things up

honestly I need to try a blind tasting of regular Hofbrau and their festbeir . I feel they just switch labels . Iam probably wrong but just another reason to have a few

On a side note Pivotal Brewing Company in Bristol , most of their beers aren’t for me. had the best local Oktoberfest beer last year .. no hoppy after taste it was seriously delicious
Old 08-07-2023, 10:40 AM   #5
Nebe

Some beers , especially Belgians with a higher yeast flavor profile taste better the older they get. I wouldn’t have minded an old case of Spaten.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:22 PM   #6
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Some beers , especially Belgians with a higher yeast flavor profile taste better the older they get. I wouldn’t have minded an old case of Spaten.
If I found them in May I wouldn’t have complained, I really blame their distributors who were seeking to sell them last year’s stock at this year’s prices …
Old 08-07-2023, 02:23 PM   #7
spence

Wasn’t the whole “best by date” thing a Jim Koch marketing gimmick once the craft brew scene started kicking his ass?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:40 AM   #8
Nebe

Quote:
If I found them in May I wouldn’t have complained, I really blame their distributors who were seeking to sell them last year’s stock at this year’s prices …
I hear you. FYI, the Rathskeller restaurant down here in south county always has Spaten Octoberfest on tap in the fall and has killer German pub food. I’m a fan
Old 08-08-2023, 08:55 AM   #9
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I hear you. FYI, the Rathskeller restaurant down here in south county always has Spaten Octoberfest on tap in the fall and has killer German pub food. I’m a fan
Looks the wife and I will be taking a Drive. Thanks for the heads up
Old 08-08-2023, 09:03 AM   #10
Nebe

Quote:
Looks the wife and I will be taking a Drive. Thanks for the heads up
Enjoy !