Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Change so far ?????

Hillary, Emanuel, Rubin, Holden even Gore??? Same old same old.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
You folks are soft if you think things are really going to change?! The faces may change but the %$%$%$%$ remains the same!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
spence

Would you rather he appoint a bunch of inexperienced people?

I'm waiting for the policy, then we'll know what we're dealing with. The guy hasn't even been sworn in yet!

-spence
Old 11-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
FishermanTim

Maybe just as "experienced" as he was?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Maybe just as "experienced" as he was?
I'm not sure there's any real relationship between "experience" and a good US President, at least not that I've seen. That being said I do feel that Obama has the skills, brain and mindset to be a good leader.

-spence
Old 11-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Fishpart
Keep The Change

He is surrounding himself with experienced and skilled people. I don't like some of their history, but he demonstrates the vision to put skilled people in the right jobs.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Raven

Thumbs up any President

is only as good as his resources are.... and how he chooses to use them ....

i like the idea that Obama wants to have a laptop in his oval office. He will be the first president to do so.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Joe

I don't know about you, but I could go for some same old peace and prosperity.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'm not sure there's any real relationship between "experience" and a good US President, at least not that I've seen. That being said I do feel that Obama has the skills, brain and mindset to be a good leader.

-spence
So what you're saying Spence, is that experience is not neccessary for the office of President? I just want to understand, because up above, you reasoned that the people Obama chose for his cabinet are good choices because they are "experienced".

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 11-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
So what you're saying Spence, is that experience is not neccessary for the office of President? I just want to understand, because up above, you reasoned that the people Obama chose for his cabinet are good choices because they are "experienced".
Experience is pretty generic and without context is somewhat meaningless. I would certainly want to surround myself with subject matter experts that were experienced in their particular field.

That's not to say that there's some universal "experieced" that a US President needs to possess to be a success. People often point to executive experience, and that is of value, but perhaps also over rated.

Ultimately, I'd wager that your average citizen would like "experience" to really just mean honesty, integrity, strength and a little common sense. I don't think there's any real "experience" that can prepare one for the role, you don't know until you're there.

-spence
Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
fishbones

I was just busting your chops Spence. I agree that it's hard to really quantify "experience" as it relates to being able to run a country. I would rather have a President who surrounds himself (or herself) with bright people and who listens to them.

In this day and age, asking for honesty, integrity and common sense might be a bit much for many politicians. But, a President with common sense and who just "does what's right" would go a long way in making me more comfortable.

Check out General Norman Swartkopf's Eleven Commandments for Leaders. Every President should keep it posted in the Oval Office and pay special attention to #'s 4 & 11.

http://www.livingbetter.org/thought/swartzkopf.html

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

These threads take on a life of their own. I think the initial point was that Obama ran on a pledge of change, not politics "business as usual".
If he is staffing with the same people who have been in power for the years, doesnt look like change. I know, I know, big bad Ole Bush was ruining everything while these stood aside helpless. But your telling me there are no smart, qualified people out there other than Clinton's old team?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Ultimately, I'd wager that your average citizen would like "experience" to really just mean honesty, integrity, strength and a little common sense.
-spence
and that just screams Hillary Clinton to me!

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
and that just screams Hillary Clinton to me!
Honesty, common sense?

Uh, Hillary?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
These threads take on a life of their own. I think the initial point was that Obama ran on a pledge of change, not politics "business as usual".
If he is staffing with the same people who have been in power for the years, doesnt look like change. I know, I know, big bad Ole Bush was ruining everything while these stood aside helpless. But your telling me there are no smart, qualified people out there other than Clinton's old team?
Just sit back and enjoy Jimmy, this is going to be fun. Although I was actually floored when these same old names came up immediately. I figured he would at least throw a few new "grass roots" names in the mix to fill positions within the cabinet to illustrate even the slightest bit of change. Bright young leaders with a new outlook??? But sure enough, Emmanuel ...Kerry ...Clinton ...Gore.... it is incredible. Jay Severin said the other day that 38 of 50 members on his transition team were in the Clinton administration.

Now I recognize its early, but at first blush Hope and Change now equal status quo.

*correction* he will be using a laptop (that is a change)

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
Nebe

I haver to say that I am surprised by the Clinton baggage being brought on board... this isnt change, this is a re-run.

I will say however that Im with Spence. Lets see what he does, or should I say.. lets see what they have him do.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Obama's first attempt at appointments has brought Marc Rich back into the administration from his 17 count indictment/pardon, during the Clinton era, real good start.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

What has he been appointed too...i can't find anything related to that on the internet.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #19
PaulS

Maybe he should recycle rumsfield and cheney again. We know how good that turned out the first time.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #20
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
What has he been appointed too...i can't find anything related to that on the internet.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112000887.html

It actually brought his name back into play due to Holders ties to the pardon.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

OK, Swimmers post made it seemed like he was appointed to something....I couldn't find anything regarding that when I did a search. Found plenty on what he did and the pardon and such....just couldn't find anything that fit that post.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #22
PaulS

The clown who wrote that article loose all credibility with the statement "As we observed throughout the campaign, Barack Obama gave indications that his election would mean a return to the September 10 mentality, a national-security outlook marked prominently by its lack of seriousness about the terrorist threat. In choosing Eric Holder to be his attorney general, President-Elect Obama has taken a step toward confirming those misgivings"

It amazing, there's more complaining about Obama here since he got elected than in the last 8 years of a president who is going down as the one with the lowest approval rating in HISTORY.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #23
EarnedStripes44

Holder might be the guy to take the heat for prosecuting Bush. He believes that the post of attorney general is a "special" cabinet position where one is first subordinate to the people of the U.S., and then the president. A lot of people aint diggin' Bush. He also believes there should be distance between the AG and the President.

With that being said, I think he will pursue some sort of criminal proceedings against some of the people who orchestrated the war on terror/Iraq war and he will do, at face value, on his own perogative. I think Obama is putting the pieces in place for future indictments against current administration officials.

I don't think, considering Holders prosecutorial background, this is beyond the realm reasonable speculation. Nothing like black prosecutor locking folks up.

"Our needlessly abusive and unlawful (emphasis added)practices in the ‘War on Terror' have diminished our standing in the world community and made us less, rather than more, safe,"
-Eric Holder
Old 11-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #24
spence

I thought Holder was pretty well respected?

Considering the mess he's inheriting, had he gone the other way Obama would be blasted for appointing outsiders who didn't know Washington in a time of crisis

-spence
Old 11-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #25
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Dad, he was the guy pardon by the current top contender for attonrey general under Clinton. He had been a wanted man for years. He came back into the country after the right palms had been grease and he received a full pardon. And the DNC received huge donations.................. and I wouldn't be surpised to see Richs' name pop up on the Clinton library benefactors list.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #26
Joe

Marc Rich an administration appointee?
He must have saved the dress - I hate it when that happens. What kind of person saves a soiled dress?