Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Imagine.....

Taken from a CNN editorial written by a republican, but its 100% true although the Libs will deny it.

Lets go back in time ...

Imagine if, a week before he dispatched John McCain in November, Barack Obama had stood before the American people and told them what he would actually do.

"My fellow Americans, if you elect me president next Tuesday, I propose to grow our government to unprecedented size, increase federal spending to never-imagined levels and double the debt in our country. I will support $1.3 trillion in new taxes even as our recession deepens. I will take advantage of the crisis to expand federal control of health care, the energy industry, banks, Wall Street and the car business, fire GM's CEO and sign a stimulus bill with nearly 9,000 earmarks.

"I will undo much of Bill Clinton's welfare reform by giving 'tax cuts' to non-taxpayers. I will propose a crushing tax on energy, making it more expensive to drive to work or cook dinner. I will choose men who have not paid their taxes as my key economic advisers and will have no one in my Cabinet who can fairly be called a 'businessman.' I will shrivel the deduction charities count on for over 40 percent of their contributions.

"I will propose an omnipotent czar with the power to regulate, sanction and, ultimately, seize any business we judge could threaten the economy of this country. My Treasury Department will enable $165 million in bonuses to failed financial industry executives, and then I will give that industry an additional trillion-dollar bailout, indebting middle-class Americans to buy their toxic assets. All this I will do in my first two months, before April Fools' Day."

Would he have been elected?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Taken from a CNN editorial written by a republican, but its 100% true although the Libs will deny it.

Lets go back in time ...

Imagine if, a week before he dispatched John McCain in November, Barack Obama had stood before the American people and told them what he would actually do.

"My fellow Americans, if you elect me president next Tuesday, I propose to grow our government to unprecedented size, increase federal spending to never-imagined levels and double the debt in our country. I will support $1.3 trillion in new taxes even as our recession deepens. I will take advantage of the crisis to expand federal control of health care, the energy industry, banks, Wall Street and the car business, fire GM's CEO and sign a stimulus bill with nearly 9,000 earmarks.

"I will undo much of Bill Clinton's welfare reform by giving 'tax cuts' to non-taxpayers. I will propose a crushing tax on energy, making it more expensive to drive to work or cook dinner. I will choose men who have not paid their taxes as my key economic advisers and will have no one in my Cabinet who can fairly be called a 'businessman.' I will shrivel the deduction charities count on for over 40 percent of their contributions.

"I will propose an omnipotent czar with the power to regulate, sanction and, ultimately, seize any business we judge could threaten the economy of this country. My Treasury Department will enable $165 million in bonuses to failed financial industry executives, and then I will give that industry an additional trillion-dollar bailout, indebting middle-class Americans to buy their toxic assets. All this I will do in my first two months, before April Fools' Day."

Would he have been elected?
You could make this statement about any President ever elected. Take the opposition party, let them choose language that is of most benefit to their jaded view and tell the public. Statements in the same line as these (not saying the subjects would be the same, just same flavor of language) would be made if McCain had won. A democrat would spin every single action he had made since entering the White House to yield the illusion that he hand not done a single thing correct.

Now, I'm not at all saying that I agree with everything that has taken place.

Also, how many more times are you going to throw around "You libs", "the libs", and "the crazy liberals" before you accept the fact that you cannot try to present yourself as middle of the road?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
striperman36
Old Guy

That's change, voted for change.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
True, he never really told us what the change would be.

"I'll give you change, and you better "hope" (haha) that it is change you want."

"Hope and Change"

Now I just "hope" by next year, I'll have a little bit of "change" left in my pocket.....

Last edited by Cool Beans; 04-01-2009 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: can't spell for crap
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I didn't vote for some slogan. Unlike many people in this country that voted yet have never made an educated political opinion in their life, I though (and still think) Obama was the lesser of two evils.

The unfortunate matter in this country is that we aren't voting for "The Best Candidate." We're voting for "The Candidate that will screw up less than the others."
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
The unfortunate matter in this country is that we aren't voting for "The Best Candidate." We're voting for "The Candidate that will screw up less than the others."
But McCain is an "Old Fart" and wouldn't have the energy to screw things up this fast. It would take him 2 or 3 yrs to find second gear... Obama however put it in overdrive and stomped the pedal to the floor.
I think the correct term is Geriatric curve. If you grade on the geriatric curve McCain is by far the safer bet.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Fishpart
Keep The Change

The facts were out there, unfortunately 53% didn't listen to them...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia