Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

GI JOE and OSAMA's Police state

Here is comes folks...there's already been talk of pulling weapons rights...now they are going to have 20,000 GI Joes INSIDE the US... If you thought it was intimidating seeing the machine guns stuffed in your face after 911 this will make that look like they were practicing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...002217_pf.html

No disrespect to anyone in the military btw.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

We already call in the National Guard in case of disasters.......why is this any different. They aren't talking about them walking a beat and saying "let me see your Papers"....only acting as responders in case of a catastrophic event.

There are already well over 20,000 miltary personnel stateside, why wouldn't we use them in case of an attack at home. just makes sense....and no knock on the Police departments but do they really have the personnel and equipment to deal with a major event.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

that's not how I read this Kevin.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'll read it again....But that is what i got out of it.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I read into this that it puts the infrastructure in place to bypass the Federal laws regarding having Troops inside the US, and gives these guys more leeway than they have now...I've heard from a bunch of people that the GI's were out in force over Tday at alot of locations...look for more now. This coupled with Obamasama already wanting to remove gun rights to citizens means a police state of unheralded proportions. Sit down and shut up with no talking back or I'll shoot you with my machine gun...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
This coupled with Obamasama already wanting to remove gun rights to citizens means a police state of unheralded proportions. Sit down and shut up with no talking back or I'll shoot you with my machine gun...
Or....
There is a worry of a protracted Mumbai-type attack on a bigger scale, where state and local police could be overmatched. A quick-reaction force of full-time military personnel would probably fare better than the local cops many of whom have never drawn a weapon on duty.
Also - take note that the article said it had been in planning for a long time. Obamasama is not president yet - so it can't be his directive, but I agree with the policy.
From what I've been able to discern, the rumors of gun seizure have been fueled by people in the gun industry - who are enjoying brisk sales as a result.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I re-read and still see it as I stated before....although the ACLU would like to get people a little paranoid about the concept of a military state...I don't see this as such.

and I really don't think Obama is going to be taking away anybody's guns either....he has a lot more to worry about than that.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
I read into this that it puts the infrastructure in place to bypass the Federal laws regarding having Troops inside the US, and gives these guys more leeway than they have now...I've heard from a bunch of people that the GI's were out in force over Tday at alot of locations...look for more now. This coupled with Obamasama already wanting to remove gun rights to citizens means a police state of unheralded proportions. Sit down and shut up with no talking back or I'll shoot you with my machine gun...
New York subways were loaded with GI's as the result of heightened terror alert.
I read this as the reaction to things like Mumbai, and being able to respond more quickly in the circumstances as if there was a terrorist event on our soil. I don't see the right wing aspect of it at all. but you can read the tea leaves your way if you want.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
eastendlu

I have read the tea leaves and looked in my crystal ball i have also tripple checked by looking at the chicken entrails and they all point to its all Bushes fault.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
PaulS

It funny, Obama isn't even in office and he's being blamed for Bushies doings. I support it for the reasons stated (Mumbai style attack) and don't think anything neferious (I always wanted to use that word - I hope I used it right) is going on but then I never thought we wouldn't give people their geneva rights or have secret prisons where we tortured people and didn't give them the rights our country was founded on.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Raven

Exclamation a non- terrorist event

i remember it..... like it was yesterday
i heard a loud explosion in the sky.
it sounded like what we used to hear as kids
a sonic boom.... (BAAAAHH BOOM )

i looked up into the sky....
i was outside at the bank atm machine
and there was this huge jumbo jet
turned on its side, one wing pointing down

a large plume of smoke trailed behind it
as it arched toward the ground
then a second much bigger explosion
sounded and shook the ground where i stood

an atomic Bomb (looking) cloud
mushroomed way up into the sky
(for a split second) a deadly silence followed
then all manner of sirens were heard

By then, i was already in my VW Bug
racing to the neighborhood where
i suspected the airliner had crashed.

it wasn't real hard to find because
now that neighborhood was just gone!

it was as if the hand of god himself
had reached down from heaven and
pushed away a sand castle town at the beach

Soon every citizen was walking
to go see the new tragedy and horror show
they carried lawn chairs and big radios,
coolers full of refreshments,
as the first responders
arrived at the scene...

within a matter of minutes
i'd say 8 all together...
the place was like a rock concert
that was over run with attendee's

it was total TOTAL! chaos as so many
goose necking "wanna see's" clogged
the streets hampering the firemen
and police from getting onto the scene.

It was a very disturbing sight to say
the least with burning bodies up in the
trees ...on the roofs of half wrecked houses
barely standing with arms and legs
strewn about like dropped cord wood
some completely charred, most with no shoes.

i decided to get out of there while i could...
as i had seen enough to last a life time

but the biggest thing i learned
or came away with from that day....

is that NO police force (STATE ,SWAT )
and or fire department
combined or separate can handle
huge events of this magnitude

the number of people getting in the way
and in need of supreme control
can only be handled by the military.

imho
Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I seem to recall that Obama isn't president until January of 09... I didn't realize he had that much control in 05 and 07....

"In 2005, a new Pentagon homeland defense strategy emphasized "preparing for multiple, simultaneous mass casualty incidents." National security threats were not limited to adversaries who seek to grind down U.S. combat forces abroad, McHale said, but also include those who "want to inflict such brutality on our society that we give up the fight," such as by detonating a nuclear bomb in a U.S. city.

In late 2007, Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England signed a directive approving more than $556 million over five years to set up the three response teams, known as CBRNE Consequence Management Response Forces. Planners assume an incident could lead to thousands of casualties, more than 1 million evacuees and contamination of as many as 3,000 square miles, about the scope of damage Hurricane Katrina caused in 2005."

Salty, WTF are you smoking thats making you paranoid?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

IT'S REALLY GOOD CHIT WANT SOME?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #14
Bronko

I am WAAAAAAAAAY more concerned about his "Civilian Police Force" that he has proposed. I am hoping it was just an insane thought that his handlers immediately told him was impossible. But, if he goes forward with that idea watch out.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan