Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #31
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Obama said it was his fault

and he's gonna fix it
Obama said it "wasn't" his fault, it was the former administations fault but the buck stops with him.

And the truth is.....http://www.cnbc.com/id/29763023

It was his fault

Last edited by buckman; 03-19-2009 at 05:56 AM..
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #32
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

something is goign to surface that Geithner knew about these day 1. My bet, he is gone is 30days, Obama will say he is sorry, it was his fault. Everyone will forgive him.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #33
buckman

New update. Dodd lies also. He helped write the amendment that allowed the bonus money. It's hard to follow because they are all dishonest.
It now appears that reading a trillion dollar bill may be important after all.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #34
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
something is goign to surface that Geithner knew about these day 1. My bet, he is gone is 30days, Obama will say he is sorry, it was his fault. Everyone will forgive him.
Geithner's already admitted that he knew about the bonuses, but he wasn't aware of the size of them. WTF. Does he not ask questions when he's getting ready to approve giving billions of dollars to a company to help bail them out? Did he think there were just a few $50 bonus checks and some movie passes being thrown around? Now even the Dems are ripping him. He may be falling on his sword pretty soon.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #35
bssb
river rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Some food for thought. Get over the initial anger and think.

I think we can all agree that mortgage companies and real estate brokers share responsibility for the current crisis. Part of Obama's plan is to pump $ (your money) into the housing market to reduce the inventory. Who do you think will be raking in the money from this? Mortgage brokers and real estate agents! So, if the AIG bonuses are so unfair, are the real estate commissions and mortgage commissions unfair too? Should the people who made tons of money causing the problem make tons of money on the solution too? Tons of YOUR money?

How about the construction industry? I dont think they were responsible for this mess at all, however, they will be receiving billions in money to "bail" them out, via the stimulus bill. Should they be paid overtime for their work? Or should they, as is being suggested of AIG employees, sacrifice for the common good? Do you think the unions would agree to that?

Food for thought. Like it or not, the only people who will save AIG, is the people working for AIG. These bonuses, just like mortgage commisions and union overtime is the cost of doing business.
I want to work for jimmy. maybe I can get a $15,000 bonus for pissing on a client's head.

“I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security.”

Jim Garrison
Old 03-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #36
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Geithner's already admitted that he knew about the bonuses, but he wasn't aware of the size of them. WTF. Does he not ask questions when he's getting ready to approve giving billions of dollars to a company to help bail them out? Did he think there were just a few $50 bonus checks and some movie passes being thrown around? Now even the Dems are ripping him. He may be falling on his sword pretty soon.
Considering the incredible amount of stuff on the man's plate, I can't imagine he has the ability to pay attention to every detail. As the exec trying to solve a strategic problem, the bonus issue is a smaller tangent that would be noise had it not erupted into a PR flap for Obama and the Senate.

A good leader doesn't let stuff like this be a distraction. It does appear that he needs more help though...

-spence
Old 03-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #37
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Considering the incredible amount of stuff on the man's plate, I can't imagine he has the ability to pay attention to every detail. As the exec trying to solve a strategic problem, the bonus issue is a smaller tangent that would be noise had it not erupted into a PR flap for Obama and the Senate.

A good leader doesn't let stuff like this be a distraction. It does appear that he needs more help though...

-spence
He's not supposed to pay attention to every detail, but he's supposed to be aware of them. Ultimately, it's his responsibility. I agree abou it being blown way out of proportion, but they all need to be extra careful about what is done from here on out regarding the economy. If Geithner hadn't already been under fire abou the tax issue, this would have been little more than a sidebar in the whole bonus flap.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #38
striperman36
Old Guy

that sounds like DeValle saying hack job hirings are trivial
Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #39
buckman

Quote:

-spence
He's got time to do Leno.

I don't want to hear it. If he doesn't want the job then leave!

Maybe he could get the Treasure some help. There's like 12 deputy positions with nobody nominated to fill them.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #40
Backbeach Jake

Obama is a real "the buck stops here" kind of guy.
I think that it's time that the working man (and woman) and taxpayer start informing themselves of the truth, rear up on their hind legs and bite some scums in the arses. Our labors and earnings are being stolen by self aggrandizing theives. I don't see them as failures at all but very successful thieves and con men. They have ruined countless lives with more in the hopper every day and demand a bonus that would equal the earnings of a lifetime for their victim. They claim that there is a contractual obligation due them. From who? Themselves of course. They wrote and agreed on this deal, made it legal, robbed their company blind, asked the UStaxpayer to cover thier losses. The Taxpayer is now a third party entity, who has no such obligation to pay bonuses as far as I'm concerned. Eff 'em.
We should have allowed AIG to collapse. Dozens of smaller companies would have filled the space left. The two trillion would have been enough to cover the funeral.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #41
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Considering the incredible amount of stuff on the man's plate, I can't imagine he has the ability to pay attention to every detail.

-spence

That's the problem he has waaay too much on his plate and
imho, the only thing he should have on it IS the economy.

If that is not solved none of his programs will be possible.

I seem to remember in the Clinton/Bush election the Dem slogan was,

"It's the economy stupid."

I think the American public is starting to wake up to that truth.

" Choose Life "